• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mega Evolution/Z-Moves Discussion Thread

So, Pokeshopper tweeted something really interesting

View: https://twitter.com/Pokeshopper/status/1365633876689903623?s=19

This seems to be very strong evidence for megas to return in the gen 4 remakes, what do y'all think? And do you think we might get new ones as well? I think some gen 4 mons could really benefit from megas and it would give this game some new content to make it unique. I'm thinking the starters, maybe Luxray and Staraptor.

Initially, I was thinking that Ill get it if it had megas, expecting that it'll look at worst either like SwSh or LGPE but with how bad the graphics are this time round (and no it's not just because it's chibi), I'm not even sure if it'll be a draw for me unless the games are really really cheap. I hope there are new megas tho!

I think Megas will return, but I doubt they’ll be new ones. I’m hoping I’m wrong though because there are Pokemon that could really benefit from Megas like Luxray and Lumineon.

I’m not going to take that as confirmation just yet (for all we know, there could be something else that puts the spotlight Mega Luc and Mega Zard around the time that those figures come out, which’ll be well before BDSP’s release date), but I already thought there was a decent chance of them returning. Mega Evolution is popular, and unlike Z-Moves and Dynamax, it’s not tied down to region-specific lore. Anyone can pick up a Key Stone and travel anywhere with it. An NPC can hand you a Key Stone with minimal justification.

Also, Masuda is co-directing. Mega Evolution was his idea to begin with if I recall correctly, and he put it in LGPE. So he might want to include it. (Contrary to what people infer from reading way too much into some random Pokédex entries, Game Freak don’t actually have a vendetta against Mega Evolution.)

At any rate, if these figures do correspond to BDSP, then Charizard’s inclusion interests me. It wasn’t part of any Sinnoh Dex, and while it was obviously coded into the original games, it wasn’t obtainable without transferring. So have they revised the Dex? Or will all 493 species that existed at the time of the originals be coded in?

And if Mega Evolution is in, then I don’t expect there to be any new Mega Evolutions. Just the ones we already have.

Mega Evolution is popular, and unlike Z-Moves and Dynamax, it’s not tied down to region-specific lore.
To be fair Mega evolution is as much region-tied as Dynamax is, since the former was created from special stones being irradiated from the power of Xerneas and Yveltal fired from the ultimate weapon, and the latter can happen thanks to a high concentration of particles incorectly called Galar particles, which are in fact small prts of Eternatus' body, and something to "trigger" them, for now bands made from wishing stars, bigger parts of Eternatus' body, that are up to the current day still falling from space. Also didn't Dynamax have the capability to distort space and time? And guess whose region's legendaries are lords of that? Then again, this is the same universe where the light that grants the Z-energy is stuck in the same place.

To be fair Mega evolution is as much region-tied as Dynamax is, since the former was created from special stones being irradiated from the power of Xerneas and Yveltal fired from the ultimate weapon, and the latter can happen thanks to a high concentration of particles incorectly called Galar particles, which are in fact small prts of Eternatus' body, and something to "trigger" them, for now bands made from wishing stars, bigger parts of Eternatus' body, that are up to the current day still falling from space. Also didn't Dynamax have the capability to distort space and time? And guess whose region's legendaries are lords of that? Then again, this is the same universe where the light that grants the Z-energy is stuck in the same place.

Yeah, but ORAS democratized the idea of Key Stone creation, since the ultimate weapon never targeted Hoenn, and the energy for Mega Stones there comes from the region’s own abundant natural energy. To make Key Stones, you don’t strictly need the Kalosian ultimate weapon, just lots of potent life energy. But more to the point, Dynamax can literally only occur in specific locations that are near a Power Spot. A Dynamax Band outside of Galar and away from any of its Power Spots will be functionally useless. Mega Evolution doesn’t work like that - Key Stones and Mega Stones just need energy from a Trainer, so even though the creation of those stones might be the result of regional factors, they don’t require those factors in order to function and thus are portable.

(Arguably the same is true of Z-Moves, but those are also more tied to Alola culturally than Mega Evolution was to Kalos or, case in point, Hoenn, so transplanting Z-Moves would be a bolder decision. Not one they’re incapable of making, of course - GF can reshape the rules however they want - but one I think they would consider more carefully because of that aspect. For instance, Key Stones can be created by vague “life energy” and can be embedded in anything. Meanwhile, Z-Rings are specifically sacred gifts from the tapu and the kahunas, while Z-Crystals are the dead skin of an alien dragon that are now used as important artifacts in a major rite of passage. Genericizing Z-Moves more blatantly contradicts those cultural/worldbuilding details.)

And yeah I made the same “Dynamax is spacetime warping which Dialga and Palkia can do” argument many times myself, but realistically, GF generally seem to be more conservative about changing the lore of big stuff like that. It does happen sometimes in certain ways, but it’s not something they’ve made a particular habit of. More than that, though, I think what would dissuade them from putting Dynamax in these games is the scale of it. A chibi world just isn’t the right place for Dynamax. And I also wonder, with BDSP being developed by a different studio than usual, maybe Game Freak would rather keep the flagship mechanic of this generation under their own direct management? I’m thinking that SwSh will continue to be the host games for official tournaments even after BDSP and Legends come out.

Last edited:
I won't take that tweet to suggest Megas are returning. It could happen, it could not. I'll wait for actual evidence.

Personally, I was never the biggest fan of Megas. I'd much rather have Z-Moves/Dynamax back since at least they can be used by all Pokémon, but of course I don't see either happening. Of course, it would be interesting if they added new Megas for the signature Pokemon of major bosses. Right now, only Maylene, Candice, and Cynthia's aces can Mega Evolve. And I did like how in Galar, almost every major character's ace had a Gigantamax form.

I won't take that tweet to suggest Megas are returning. It could happen, it could not. I'll wait for actual evidence.

Personally, I was never the biggest fan of Megas. I'd much rather have Z-Moves/Dynamax back since at least they can be used by all Pokémon, but of course I don't see either happening. Of course, it would be interesting if they added new Megas for the signature Pokemon of major bosses. Right now, only Maylene, Candice, and Cynthia's aces can Mega Evolve. And I did like how in Galar, almost every major character's ace had a Gigantamax form.

I think giving Megas to all the gym leaders/elite fours aces would be the best course of action. Along with (obviously) the starters in addition to Luxray, Staraptor, and Flygon. Flygon got screwed out of a mega last time due to artists block so he’s long overdue for one.

Even if they don’t add any new Megas, there’s already good candidates for almost all of the Gym Leaders and Elite Four baked into their existing Battleground/rematch teams:

Roark - Tyranitar or Aerodactyl
Maylene - Medicham or Lucario
Wake - Sharpedo or Gyarados
Fantina - Gengar
Byron - Steelix or Aggron
Candice - Abomasnow

Aaron - Scizor or Heracross
Flint - Houndoom
Lucian - Gallade or Alakazam
Cynthia - Garchomp (obviously)

That just leaves Gardenia, Volkner, and Bertha as the ones who’d need more substantial team adjustments. For Gardenia, you could use Venusaur or Sceptile (maybe a long shot in either case since both were unavailable in the originals), Bertha could have Swampert (replace her Whiscash?) or Camerupt, and Volkner could use Manectric or Ampharos (which I think would be quite fitting, since his town features a lighthouse and a Jasmine cameo). And look: There’s no overlap!

I think giving Megas to all the gym leaders/elite fours aces would be the best course of action. Along with (obviously) the starters in addition to Luxray, Staraptor, and Flygon. Flygon got screwed out of a mega last time due to artists block so he’s long overdue for one.

Eh, if they do add new mega's I'd personally rather them only go to Sinnoh mons. The Hoenn mons had their time to shine in the last remakes.

Eh, if they do add new mega's I'd personally rather them only go to Sinnoh mons. The Hoenn mons had their time to shine in the last remakes.
I understand your reasoning. But then again, some non Hoenn mons got Megas in the Hoenn remakes so I don’t think one non Sinnoh mon getting a new mega would hurt.

Eviolite conundrum?

Can't really be an issue anymore when they've shown they're fine with having Eevee/Charjabug evolve with stones, even though they couldn't in previous games

I just want to say that if new Megas do return, I hope that they do not give them to Pokemon that could just be given a new Evolution instead. It’s always bugged me that things like Mawile, Sableye, Absol, Pinsir, etc. were given Megas instead of evolving.

Kind of agree on sableye and mawile, but their megas are really cool imo. Absol and Pinsir just fit the 1-stage, but with an upgrade imo like kangashkan for example.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom