• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Mega Evolution/Z-Moves Discussion Thread

Kind of agree on sableye and mawile, but their megas are really cool imo.
Mega Sableye and cool are opposites: it's literally Sableye with red eyes and a big frickin gem. It's Electrode levels of inoriginality (it's literally Voltorb with inverted colors and different eyes), or at least in my opinion.

Mega Sableye and cool are opposites: it's literally Sableye with red eyes and a big frickin gem. It's Electrode levels of inoriginality (it's literally Voltorb with inverted colors and different eyes), or at least in my opinion.
I respect your opinion but I honestly love mega sableye because of how simple it is. It’s just sableye with a huge gem and bigger eyes and it STILL looks menacing but in like a gremlin sort of way.

Could also be that sableye is one of my favorite Pokémon, so I’m partly biased

I'm beginning to lean towards outright anticipating new Mega Evolutions, because the more I think about it the more I'm left wracking my brains for much of a reason for these games to exist at all. A grid-based Sinnoh adventure with a simplified art style already exists - it's called Diamond and Pearl - and the significant permanent gameplay additions since then amount to the introduction of the Fairy-type and not a lot else (we're far removed from the situation of Kanto and Johto, worlds apart from the mechanics of Gens 3 and 4, respectively).

Given this, my mind is given to thinking about relatively easy, relatively unobtrusive ways to draw in people like me who are already perfectly familiar with Sinnoh, and new Megas seems a very good fit considering their notable absence from Sword and Shield. The starters would obviously be in frame, but so would all the new evolutions originally introduced in Sinnoh.

Last edited:
I respect your opinion but I honestly love mega sableye because of how simple it is. It’s just sableye with a huge gem and bigger eyes and it STILL looks menacing but in like a gremlin sort of way.

Plus the refraction effect on the large jewel is a case of the 3D graphics inspiring a Pokémon design in a new way, and is quite neat (y)

I understand your reasoning. But then again, some non Hoenn mons got Megas in the Hoenn remakes so I don’t think one non Sinnoh mon getting a new mega would hurt.

I get that. I guess it's the fact that Hoenn Pokemon were the main ones who got Megas in those remakes, so if the were to add new ones that aren't from Sinnoh, I'd prefer them to be from regions where the Mega count is really low. Like Unova.

But honestly, I'd probably be fine no matter what since I'm not the biggest enthusiast for Megas anyway.

Mega's i want:
Starters (Kinda obvious)
Luxray
Fossils (No fair Aerodactyl is the only one)
Magmortar/Electivire
Spiritomb (Makes the most sense, with it emerging from an Odd Keystone)
Yanmega (I mean.... do i need to explain).

Likely Mega's
Starters
Luxray
Magmortar/Electivire
Froslass (I mean, Glalie got one in Hoenn, so its only fitting Froslass gets one in Sinnoh)
Floatzel
Weavile/Gliscor

I'll admit that I'm kinda skeptical on either gimmick making a return, but Megas probably have a higher chance of making a comeback than Z-Moves do, since the latter are too intertwined with the Alola Region while Megas can be used wherever (granted, it's very possible that the Alola restriction could be retconned eventually, but even if it does happen I don't think it'll happen in BDSP). Further proof of Megas possibly returning also lies in LGPE, which had Mega Evolutions but not Z-Moves.

Dynamax however feel like it'll be a definite no-no, as it's even more tied into its region's environment and lore than Z-Moves were to its, meaning it'll be much more contrived for them to randomly be present. Admittedly this might just be bias influence because I do have to admit that out of the trio of battle gimmicks that Game Freak has introduced, Dynamax is definitely my least favorite. Megas and Z-Moves had their glaring flaws, don't get me wrong, but I feel like Dynamax's problems are far worse than those two combined. So yeah, I'd much rather not have Dynamax in these games. Admittedly I think I would prefer it if BDSP were completely free of battle gimmicks, but of the three that have been introduced, Mega Evolutions are probably the most likely to make a return and could very well be the only ones present.

I don’t even know how Dynamax is an argument since it goes literally opposite to the graphical scale of the game. Dynamax was created to capitalise on the increased scale of Galar and its gyms, while Sinnoh's art style in these games is almost back to the small 2D.

I don’t even know how Dynamax is an argument since it goes literally opposite to the graphical scale of the game. Dynamax was created to capitalise on the increased scale of Galar and its gyms, while Sinnoh's art style in these games is almost back to the small 2D.
I do agree. Megas are far more like;y to show up than Dynamax.

I hope megas return for DP remakes. Cynthia having mega garchomp in her champion battle just makes sense to me.

The rest I'm not that interested in but it would be cool if they came back.

I would prefer the entire National Pokédex to come back than the Megas, Dynamax and Z-Moves. And since Lucas and Dawn have the same Pokétches from the original games, I doubt we'd get any Keystones, Z-Crystals or Dynamax Bands.

I'm beginning to lean towards outright anticipating new Mega Evolutions, because the more I think about it the more I'm left wracking my brains for much of a reason for these games to exist at all. A grid-based Sinnoh adventure with a simplified art style already exists - it's called Diamond and Pearl - and the significant permanent gameplay additions since then amount to the introduction of the Fairy-type and not a lot else (we're far removed from the situation of Kanto and Johto, worlds apart from the mechanics of Gens 3 and 4, respectively).

Given this, my mind is given to thinking about relatively easy, relatively unobtrusive ways to draw in people like me who are already perfectly familiar with Sinnoh, and new Megas seems a very good fit considering their notable absence from Sword and Shield. The starters would obviously be in frame, but so would all the new evolutions originally introduced in Sinnoh.
I can think of a few reasons they exist.
1. New fans. To some kids this is the first time they'll ever even heard of sinnoh so its new to them.
2. Legends arceus. If they're going to make a game set in the past of a previous game its a good idea to refresh the fanbase on those games with a new release of that game. A port was out of the questions with no bottom screen.
3. Money
4. Everyone was literally asking for it
5. Dexit. They'll probably want more games with more Pokemon on them to off set how much dexit has hurt their pr.

I can think of a few reasons they exist.
That really doesn't have to do with distinguishing the remakes from the original games, which is an important factor for someone who still has access to the latter. Most people would agree that the graphics aren't a selling point, and that the core mechanics have barely changed since 2006. So it boils down to gimmicks.

Since BDSP aren't Game Freak games, I rather doubt that anyone will go out of their way to design a slew of new Mega Evolutions and balance them for the metagame. I do expect the feature to come back seeing as Mega Lucario and Charizard X are getting merchandise, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for much more than the Sinnoh starters as a consolation prize.

I think it’s worth noting that these are being directed by Masuda, who last directed LGPE and XY.

So not only are megas his baby, but they were featured heavily in both of his most recent games.

I feel like he’d have the authority to ask the design team to come up with some new megas, but given that he didn’t do that for LGPE, who knows.

I for sure expect Megas back, but I'm 50/50 on whether there will be new ones or not. A good chunk of Pokemon with Megas are in the Platinum Dex.

Alakazam

Gyarados

Steelix

Heracross

Lopunny

Gengar

Medicham

Garchomp

Lucario

Abomasnow

Gardevoir

Gallade

Altaria

Houndoom

Scizor

Glalie

Absol

That's 17/46 so that's a good ratio when we have Megas from 6 different generations. I imagine the game's postgame Pokemon will include all Pokemon with Megas as well. I could see them just distributing existing Megas and not taking the time to design more, but I hope they will.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom