• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mega Evolution

What is your favorite Mega Evolution?

• Total voters
my question is why do you care about farfetch'd aside from being a good pun to use on the forums he's good for nothing he's a gimmick pokemon he's not meant to be good. just like dunspace and delibird.
Why do you care about Fairy Type Arceus? Questioning someone's preferences and then shooting it down as a gimmick Pokemon is simply dismissive and adds nothing to the conversation.

But I digress, you know what's a gimmick? Rotom--and it got five formes, and its formes even got revised in future generations to change its type. I don't really see how Farfetch'd is a gimmick unless that phrase has become synonymous with "Useless single-stage Pokemon". Its background mythology isn't any more complex or obscure than other Pokemon based on Japanese lore and idioms. Sure, they gave it its own signature item, but they also gave Chansey a Lucky Punch. Does that make Chansey a gimmick? At least there was a reason to give it its signature item (much like Marowak and its Thick Club)--why does Chansey get a boxing glove? Unlike Chatot, its existence wasn't tied to a specific in-game feature (namely the microphone and Chatter). It doesn't have anything specifically its own like Shuckle and its defenses, Smeargle and Sketch, Ditto and Transform, or some complex back story with a villain like Rotom. It's literally the most ordinary duck you've ever seen. Yes, its almost always a trade and played up as a rare Pokemon, but that again, is to tie back to its origins. I mean, getting a flying type right before you face a bug gym perfectly encompasses the whole "lucky find" theme it has going on.

him getting a mega evolution is just farfetch'd xD
Isn't that perfect though? It's farfetched, just like a duck walking up to you carrying everything you need to make a delicious duck stew. If anything, a Mega Evolution makes more sense.

Last edited:
Why do you care about Fairy Type Arceus? Questioning someone's preferences and then shooting it down as a gimmick Pokemon is simply dismissive and adds nothing to the conversation.

But I digress, you know what's a gimmick? Rotom--and it got five formes, and its formes even got revised in future generations to change its type. I don't really see how Farfetch'd is a gimmick unless that phrase has become synonymous with "Useless single-stage Pokemon". Its background mythology isn't any more complex or obscure than other Pokemon based on Japanese lore and idioms. Sure, they gave it its own signature item, but they also gave Chansey a Lucky Punch. Does that make Chansey a gimmick? At least there was a reason to give it its signature item (much like Marowak and its Thick Club)--why does Chansey get a boxing glove? Unlike Chatot, its existence wasn't tied to a specific in-game feature (namely the microphone and Chatter). It doesn't have anything specifically its own like Shuckle and its defenses, Smeargle and Sketch, Ditto and Transform, or some complex back story with a villain like Rotom. It's literally the most ordinary duck you've ever seen. Yes, its almost always a trade and played up as a rare Pokemon, but that again, is to tie back to its origins. I mean, getting a flying type right before you face a bug gym perfectly encompasses the whole "lucky find" theme it has going on.

him getting a mega evolution is just farfetch'd xD
Isn't that perfect though? It's farfetched, just like a duck walking up to you carrying everything you need to make a delicious duck stew. If anything, a Mega Evolution makes more sense.

i see your points, also its just a user name my favorite is slyveon really. but meh. i just don't see what they could do with a mega farfecth'd

I am not really in favor of weak Pokémon getting the Mawile treatment rather than proper evolutions, but the Scallion idea has potential and certainly isn't broken. I can imagine Farfetch'd learning Sacred Sword and Superpower.

At least if you burn a pokemon with Huge Power that pokemon becomes almost useless, that ability is broken because crits ignore the halved attack from burn.
Actually crits do not ignore the attack drop from Burn, it is literally the only thing that can reduce damage from a critical.

A better spread would be this:

Mega Farfetch'd
Ability: Critical Blow (moves with high crit rate always do crits)
Base stat total: 452
This spread is a little more usable.

plus pokemon have lower Spatk than that,
The only ones that do are Shuckle, Feebas, Bonsly, Magikarp, Happiny and Darumaka, of which only the former is fully-evolved (and it has a very skewed stat distribution). The biggest stat loss for a Mega Evolution is 30 points (in Mega Abomasnow's Speed, which brings it down from 60 to 30), so I wouldn't expect less than 28 points for Mega Farfetch'd's Special Attack. Bear in mind that none of the Mega Evolutions lost points in any of their offensive stats (many of them gained points in stats they don't need). Granted, Farfetch'd does need all the help it can get, but I think that your suggested distribution is asking for a bit too much.

it also makes it more useful.
That isn't the point.

Ideas for mega evolution!

Hey guys.Let's post ideas of mega evolutions here.And if you can,add pictures!!!
let's see,mega snorlax would be cool,mega blissey would be OP,and mega arceus.....
No.
Let's mega evolve Lord Helix and Bird Jesus...

At least if you burn a pokemon with Huge Power that pokemon becomes almost useless, that ability is broken because crits ignore the halved attack from burn.
Actually crits do not ignore the attack drop from Burn, it is literally the only thing that can reduce damage from a critical.

Damn, suddenly my Mega Farfetch'd idea isn't as good as we thought--but then that isn't really a bad thing, is it? It's still able to plow through non-Shadow Sneak Aegislash and Intimidate users.

I don't really see how Scallion would be broken given that we have other abilities that have more than one effect, and that given it's name, it wouldn't fit anyone else other than Farfetch'd. It's like expecting Zen Mode to go to another Pokemon than Darmanitan.

Mega Farfetch'd
Ability: Critical Blow (moves with high crit rate always do crits)
Actually given how they made critical hits much more common in G6, Farfetch'd holding a Stick is already guaranteed to crit any time it uses a high-crit move (Slash, Leaf Blade, etc).

Damn, suddenly my Mega Farfetch'd idea isn't as good as we thought--but then that isn't really a bad thing, is it? It's still able to plow through non-Shadow Sneak Aegislash and Intimidate users.
If Farfetch'd keeps the Normal typing he can plow through Shadow Sneaks anyway.

If Farfetch'd keeps the Normal typing he can plow through Shadow Sneaks anyway.

Lack of Steath Rock weakness is always nice though....but then again, even with the spread I gave it, its hardly bulky enough to be pulling off multiple switches anyway.

Actually given how they made critical hits much more common in G6, Farfetch'd holding a Stick is already guaranteed to crit any time it uses a high-crit move (Slash, Leaf Blade, etc).

That's the reason I decided to make its ability (which is obviously based on its held item) a guaranteed critical hit with the addition of Scope Lens (the latter to make it more viable by giving it near-Mega Mawile level offenses)

Mega Hypno with an ability that either puts the opponent to sleep in three turns (similar to Perish Song's countdown) or two turns (so an ability version of Yawn: first turn drowsy, second turn asleep). I would suggest Hypnosis as the name of the ability, but, you know well... So maybe Hypnotic? It would be really annoying, I admit, but it fits Hypno and it's not like Hypno stands out as it is, so something unique for it would be pretty cool. Also allows it to Dream Eat easier :p

Or how about an ability where any of Hypno's attacks has a 1-in-5 chance of putting the opponent to sleep (for only one turn) ? So it's effectively a speed-irrelevant flinching effect (plus the setup for Dream Eater).

Last edited:
Or how about an ability where any of Hypno's attacks has a 1-in-5 chance of putting the opponent to sleep (for only one turn) ? So it's effectively a speed-irrelevant flinching effect (plus the setup for Dream Eater).
The turn limitation would render this ability worse than Effect Spore, which has a 11% chance of inducing normal sleep (for 1-3 turns) as well as a 9% chance of inducing poison and 10% chance of inducing paralysis.

The turn limitation would render this ability worse than Effect Spore, which has a 11% chance of inducing normal sleep (for 1-3 turns) as well as a 9% chance of inducing poison and 10% chance of inducing paralysis.
Poison doesn't make you lose your turn. Paralysis only activates 25% of the time. Losing your turn 100% of the time is a very powerful ailment, and unlike Frozen (whose duration is random) Sleep always lasts for a fixed # turns (even after swapping out). In competitive play a Pokemon who's put to Sleep is likely to be KO very very soon.

]Poison doesn't make you lose your turn. Paralysis only activates 25% of the time. Losing your turn 100% of the time is a very powerful ailment, and unlike Frozen (whose duration is random) Sleep always lasts for a fixed # turns (even after swapping out). In competitive play a Pokemon who's put to Sleep is likely to be KO very very soon.
So lower the percentage to 15% or something. I fail to see how that would be more problematic than Effect Spore, which isn't even popular.

Or how about this ...

Ability: Hypnotist
If the opponent makes contact, 1/4 chance of them falling asleep (for 1-2 turns).

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom