• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mega Evolution

What is your favorite Mega Evolution?

• Total voters
I'd lower the Speed. Base 155 is a bit too extreme for it imo and makes it faster than Mega Aerodactly AND Beedrill, which I think should be faster than a horse.

I made Mega Rapidash that fast because its design, name, and Dex Entries are all revolved around speed. Speed has defined Rapidash more than most other Pokemon, including the ones that you listed. But upon closer inspection, I do agree base 155 is a bit too much. Is base 145 a good compromise for you?

then put the rest in Sp.Atk as does it does have decent special movepool iirc.

Aside from its massive array of Fire-type attacks, Rapidash only learns Normal-type attacks, Solar Beam (which almost every fully-evolved Fire-type gets), and Hidden Power. So, no, it does not have a good special movepool. That was precisely why I didn't bother to raise its Special Attack in the first place, although it is certainly possible Game Freak would do so anyway for the real thing.

Saying that though, I'd rather our first Fire/Fairy be something more interesting than a flying horse. I don't really rate the idea of Fairy Mega Rapidash in general, but that's just my opinion and I know it's a popular idea.

What would you have done with Mega Rapidash then?

Aside from its massive array of Fire-type attacks, Rapidash only learns Normal-type attacks, Solar Beam (which almost every fully-evolved Fire-type gets), and Hidden Power. So, no, it does not have a good special movepool. That was precisely why I didn't bother to raise its Special Attack in the first place, although it is certainly possible Game Freak would do so anyway for the real thing.

I thought it learnt Grass Knot for some reason :(

What would you have done with Mega Rapidash then?

I don't know and at the same time I don't really see how that's relevant. I don't need to have my own idea for it to know that I don't like an idea that's suggested.

You seem to forget that these pokemon all have common weaknesses. For instance Feraligatr is destroyed by thunderus in the ou metagame. There is also mega manetric and rotom w to worry about. Krookodile is dominated by fairies such as sylveon and scarf gardevoir, and it is easily stopped by fighting pokemon such as conkeldurr. Drapion is stopped by any fast ground type such as scarf garchomp and sand rush excadrill with a life orb.

I didn't seem to forget anything, because this reasoning means absolutely nothing.

All Pokemon have to be beaten by others otherwise they end up broken and imbalanced. Keldeo is beaten by Thundurus and Mega Manectric, is that stopping it being good? I'm not going to give examples for everything, but just because they lose to things they are supposed to be weak to doesn't mean they would be bad.

Also Lopunny gets destroyed by Talonflame, it's walled by common bulky Pokemon like Slowbro, Hippo, etc but they didn't take 30 points from its Sp.Atk to buff its other stats. And so on. The reason is that they already have decent stats + decent BST and ultimately they are still supposed to be balanced.

Look at the Pokemon that they reduced stats for:

Beedrill: Dire BST and stats. So they removed from Sp.Atk because it needed extra points to be usable - otherwise why would you use it over other Bugs like Scolipede, Scizor, Heracross, Pinsir etc.
Camerupt: Wanted it to be a Trick Room Mega so removed Speed.
Abomasnow: Another TR Mega with Speed loss. The points also somewhat help its extremely bad typing.
Sableye: Low BST like Beedrill and needed more points (especially in comparison to Mawile, which notice didn't receive extra points because it got Huge Power to make up for it)
Ampharos: No idea why it was removed, but it was only -10 Speed so not like it makes a huge difference.

Notice that Beedrill is the only one that has an attacking stat reduced. And that was for very good reason.

I deleted my post (before your reply) because I thought I had worked out the maths wrong, but you still went over the top with reducing all their Sp.Atk so much to buff everything else. All three are completely over the top stat suggestions regardless of how you justify your ideas.

I made these pokemon this strong so they would be able to compete against stronger mega evolutions and pokemon. They all have their own counters so there is no real issue here. However you are entitled to your opinion so its fine, but these are my ideas.

I've been thinking a lot lately about what megas I want to see in the next games, whatever they are, and I thought here would be a better place to talk about this specifically than the Gen VI Future thread. P̶l̶u̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶n̶e̶c̶r̶o̶m̶a̶n̶c̶y̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶g̶i̶g̶g̶l̶e̶s̶.̶

Mega Slowking
Like Mega Gallade in OR/AS was to Mega Gardevoir in X/Y, I think we could see Mega Slowking in the next game.

Mega Butterfree
Mirroring Mega Beedrill's inclusion in OR/AS, I think we could see Mega Butterfree. I'm not sure how they'd make it usable, but if they can do it for Beedrill, they can do it for B-free. Possibly Prankster so it can make use of its numerous status moves more quickly.

Mega Flygon
It's already been said that this didn't happen as they couldn't finalise a good enough design, so we know they've considered making this real. I think it's only a matter of time before we see this in a game.

Mega Gen II Starters
As Gen II remakes have already happened, I think it's a fair possibility that we may see these before too long, like Mega Kanto Starters were in X/Y. Not necessarily in the same method of obtaining them, but I think we'll see them come Gen VII.

Mega Kalos Starters
I think there's a good chance we'll see these should we revisit Kalos before Gen VI is finished.

I could type for hours about what I want to see, but I think the ones I've mentioned are a bit more on the realistic side.

Mega Evolutions I expect to see in upcoming games:

1. Mega starters.
So far all Kanto and Hoenn starters have Mega forms. It seems logical that Johto, Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos will join in.

2. Mega Slowking/Mega Froslass.
Similar to what others have said, given that their alternate evolutionary lines have been given Mega Evolutions, I feel like it's only a matter of time until these two get their own.

3. Mega Pseudo-Legendaries.
Garchomp, Tyranitar, Salamence, and Metagross already have them. Dragonite, Hydreigon, and Goodra can't be too far behind.

Mega Evolutions I would like to see:

1. Mega Dodrio.
Dodrio has been pretty outclassed in the Normal/Flying department for a while. Time to give it more love.

2. Mega Porygon-Z.
The design would be amazing and/or hilarious.

3. More Mega Fossils.
IIRC, only Aerodactyl has a Mega Evolution out of all the fossil Pokemon. That's why I don't expect to see them, but I would like the fossils to get more love.

4. Mega Mew.
Maybe a bit overkill, but if Mewtwo got two Megas, Mew should at least get one...I don't expect to see this, because IMO it might or might not actually happen.

I don't want to see Mega Evolutions for Farfetch'd or Dunsparce because I'd like to see actual regular evolutions first. Then, maybe, those could get Mega Evolutions.

*shrugs* just my opinion.

do You think that pokemon Z means that we will get a 3 mega for Charizard?
Or we will get second mega forms for Blastoise(water/steel) and Venusaur(dark or ghost with abillity: immunity/resistance to phychic and fairy moves(or all paranormal including dragon) ; for a change, taking it's ninja motives recently used) to counter Charizard X and Y?

Last edited:
do You think that pokemon Z means that we will get a 3 mega for Charizard?
Or we will get second mega forms for Blastoise(water/steel) and Venusaur(dark or ghost with abillity: immunity/resistance to phychic and fairy moves(or all paranormal including dragon) ; for a change, taking it's ninja motives recently used) to counter Charizard X and Y?
I highly doubt it. I did always want mega blastoise to be water/steel though.

I highly doubt it. I did always want mega blastoise to be water/steel though.
Believe more like fans believed in that Charizards secondary type will be dragon.
If people would draw there secondary formes and want them badly, then it will happen.

250px-555Darmanitan.png

Mega Darmanitan
Fire or Fire/Psychic
105 HP / 140 Atk / 95 Def (+40) / 30 Sp.Atk / 95 Sp.Def (+40) / 115 Speed (+20)
Regenerator

Now before people start flaying me hear me out. Sure, no Attack boost, losing Sheer Force and losing a held item mean this Mega wouldn't come close to packing regular Darmanitan's power. However some Megas change the way a Pokemon plays and I think this would be an interesting way to go with Darmanitan.

With its Zen Mode, Darmanitan has a Psychic/spiritual link or theme, so I don't think Regenerator is too wild. Between solid 105/95/95 bulk and a very useful set of resistances, and also U-turn + Regenerator on top of 115 Speed it would be similar to Tornadus-Therian in how it plays. Regenerator also mitigates its Stealth Rock weakness and the recoil from Flare Blitz somewhat.

140 Attack while not being increased is still very good for a Mega, so it's not like it's being left with base 100 Attack. It also has a pretty good movepool and would be able to make more use of some of its support moves like Encore, Taunt, Will-o-Wisp, maybe even Yawn thanks to the higher bulk and Speed. Higher bulk also means it could even try setting up a Work Up or maybe even a Belly Drum if you're into that sort of thing.

The typing could be either pure Fire or Fire/Psychic if they wanted to play up the Zen theme more into the Megas. Its fur should get a big longer and shaggier like an actual orangutan. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether 115 Speed is a bit reaching for it, but it's already pretty fast at base 95 so I think it could work well provided the design is done right.

Another option for Darmanitan is that depending on if you Mega Evolve it in Zen Mode or Standard mode its Mega can be different. Obviously one being a Fire/Psychic special attacker and the other being the usual faster physical attacker.

Mega Houndoom- why did'nt they make a proper Hellhound? was it a waste?

-fire/ghost would have been interesting thing to do, having a immunity to fighting and normal for once.
- imagine it with No Guard + move Inferno?

maybe that will be for a other new pokemon?(or they could change that)

- mega Darmanitan would be interesting if it would use all its changes + mega form.
Imagine something that starts as a mega in a fire/fighting form with ability to change into a fire/fairy at 50% hp and after changing back is in zen mode is fire/psychic. (it would need types that are good against it's wekness)
They could make it really a interesting pokemon.
What if it would be mega fire/water that turns into mega fire/fairy when 50% of HP?
So many posibilities. They could create more diffrent modes for it and other pokemon.

- mega Jynx (ice/poison or ice/fairy with Heatproof or Fur Coat)

-mega Ditto (ability: Perfect Imposter - it first transforms into oponents pokemon, but when using the move Transform it can now change into the users other pokemon in your party(you can choose which one) and use 3 of their moves in its free moveslots, it could change between them but would lose a turn when changing).
It would change into what it knows, it knows the 5 other pokemon of the trainers party directly thats why it could choose between them.
(Wanted it to have something special like if it would battle a oponents charmander then it could transform into Charizard but that would be to extreme.)

- What if all starters pokemon will get 2 mega forms like Charizard dit but not in the same game/region/geneartion? Maybe there are mega stones that will be found in other future generations? That would allow each starter not only to change ability but also its type for one of the forms. This is a posibility to use all diffrent dual types on the starters.
That would make every next game interesting and more unpredictable.

Last edited:
-mega Ditto (ability: Perfect Imposter - it first transforms into oponents pokemon, but when using the move Transform it can now change into the users other pokemon in your party(you can choose which one) and use 3 of their moves in its free moveslots, it could change between them but would lose a turn when changing).
I think this overcomplicates things more than anything, heh. You're expecting players to wrap their head around a single ability that allows it to Transform into anyone in the party (perhaps even those FAINTED) and also possibly give them the knowledge of their entire team's moveset, and even if you can only copy one or two Pokémon at most during a single battle, you're also expecting Game Freak to program an ability that it can retain upon transformation, as well as special conditions to allow it to keep Transform and only copy 3 moves. I don't think Game Freak is that complex, lol

That being said, I'd say a Mega Ditto is a redundant idea since it can Imposter on existing Megas already, and since it transforms its stats are determined solely by who it transforms into. Unless you want to do a first and give Mega Ditto an extra 100BST into its HP stat, the base stat changes of Mega Ditto are worthless. Basically what I'm saying is that you should have covered for the traditional 100BST increase.

Sounds like an interesting thread to throw ideas down, so my personal hope is for Mega Jirachi, but that's not gonna happen. I'd put 20 stats into all but HP.

Mega Ditto
I understand that, but even if your oponent knows some of your pokemon , he would not know all your moves.
If you could use even fainted ones, then if it's your last resort, it's then a secret weapon.
(that was only an idea)
It's a "Mega Evolution" thread. Should be then existing Mega Evolutions.

As much as I love the whole concept of Mega Evolution, lately, I've been feeling that...I actually don't want to see any more of them, at least not until they balance out the field that we already have :s

They've said that Megas are at least partly developed with game balance and "shaking things up" in mind...But watching things actually play out in battles (VGC or otherwise), I can't help but wonder what they're intentions are with some of them...ORAS felt like it caused a-lot more damage to the scene than good.

BUT ANYWAY. One thing I'd still want to see, despite feeling that way...

Mega Delphox
Type: Remains Fire/Psychic
Ability: Levitate (Magic Broomstick!), if not maybe Prankster.
HP ~ 75
Attack ~ 69
Sp. Attack ~ 134 (114 Base + 20)
Speed ~ 154 (104 Base + 50)
Defense ~ 72
Sp. Defense ~ 130 (100 Base +30)

It'd also be nice if, as a wizard, the species could eventually run some more diverse Special Attacks...

Last edited:
I understand that, but even if your oponent knows some of your pokemon , he would not know all your moves.
If you could use even fainted ones, then if it's your last resort, it's then a secret weapon.
(that was only an idea)
It's a "Mega Evolution" thread. Should be then existing Mega Evolutions.
I still feel it's worth addressing all bases when coming up with your ideas, unless you're trusting Game Freak to change up some of the game's fundamentals, lol

If we get mega Johto starters I hope they don't add a type to any of them. I'd rather they keep their status as the pure typed starters, but maybe their mega evolutions could gain an ability that gets rid of their primary weakness.

If we get mega Johto starters I hope they don't add a type to any of them. I'd rather they keep their status as the pure typed starters, but maybe their mega evolutions could gain an ability that gets rid of their primary weakness.
Pure type starters are not good. I like to see a Mega Feraligatr as Water/Dragon. My favorite mega evolution is Mega Rayquaza as it is super powerful.

Pure type starters are not good. I like to see a Mega Feraligatr as Water/Dragon.
They would be though if they had an extra immunity...I suppose if they had to give them an additional typing I would be fine with that combo though...

I'd be okay if it was something like:
M-Meganium - grass/fairy - effect spore
M-Typhlosion - fire/ground - flame body
M-Feraligatr - water/dragon - tough claws

They would be though if they had an extra immunity...I suppose if they had to give them an additional typing I would be fine with that combo though...

I'd be okay if it was something like:
M-Meganium - grass/fairy - effect spore
M-Typhlosion - fire/ground - flame body
M-Feraligatr - water/dragon - tough claws

Those three typings are ones I can see most.

I'd do Grass/Fairy with Flower Veil and Water/Dragon with Water Veil (both having "Veil" abilities wasn't intentional :p). Flower Veil would be an incredibly strong ability on a Grass-type and the Fairy subtyping is great too, both of which Meganium needs if it's ever going to be good. (And I REALLY want to see it become good!)

For Feraligatr, you have to find reasons to improve it (and want to use it) over regular Sheer Force LO Feraligatr which is already super strong, and keeping Sheer Force would be boring imo. So Water Veil + added Dragon typing give it big differences over its regular self. And both combined means that it can set up in the face of most bulky Waters and it won't fear Scald burns either. And being immune to Prankster Will-o-Wisp (and just Wisp in general) is super nice. Can switch into Lava Plumes pretty freely too, thinking about it.

Not sure what to do with Typhlosion. I think Fire/Ground is the most obvious typing for it though. I could see them making it pretty fast with White Smoke as its ability. Not a great ability but not awful, but then again being really fast with the amazing Fire/Ground STAB would be a big enough improvement on its own.

Imo Ninetales really deserves a Mega evolution. First of all, it's one of the most popular Pokemon despite it almost never being promoted. Its lore leaves a lot of room for a secondary typing to be added like Ghost, Fairy, Dark or Psychic. It has a simple design that they can easily expand on. And of course it's my favorite Pokemon's evolution. I'd like to see something like this:

Type: Fire/Fairy or Fire/Ghost

Ability: Ultimate Force (or something): Doubles the Pokemon's Sp. Attack.

HP: 73
Attack: 76
Defence: 105
Sp. Attack: 101
Sp. Defence: 110
Speed: 140

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom