• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mega Evolution

What is your favorite Mega Evolution?

• Total voters
Re: Mega Evolution Discussion

Two completely different scenarios. Mewtwo is getting a mega form likely because it is tied to genetics, but the same isn't valid to Blaziken.

But what do Mega Pokemon have to do with genetics? I can understand it being brought back with some relevance in the games, but as far as we know genetics have nothing to do with Mega Pokemon.

Also, say what you want, but only one of what, eighteen starters getting a power up/new design/alternate form is sort of unfair. Why only Blaziken deserves a mega evolution?

In my opinion, that's not really valid justification. That's like saying why doesn't Sableye have a mega form? It was Mawile's counterpart. Lucario got a mega form? Why don't they just give all the Fighting and Steel types Mega forms?

Cuz why Blaziken? Why just Blaziken? What is the philosophy and the thought process behind giving Blaziken from all the starters a Mega form.

Do I look like the kind of person who has the answers... I don't know? Maybe because they felt like it?

Personally I've been wanting a 4th stage quite a while now, limited by the first stage having to be a baby-stage, but I'd like the added progression. Nothing's more boring than having a pokémon evolve mid-game and then no more.
This I view as no more than a fancy form however, adopting some Digimon design if you wish but there's opportunity for really cool diamonds (Mawile!) between the emo-angel Absols and presumably Uber Charizards.
I :thumbup: this!

Pokemon like Arceus and Giratina can't lose their items during battle though.

Yes, you are correct. I wonder if these items will have the same properties as the Griseous Orb, or if they can be removed by the opponent.

That would be reasonable, so those pokemon would get some kind of powerup, but at the same time would be denied some useful items like Sitrus Berry, Focus Sash, Lum Berry etc.

Wow. This is very, very Digimon. I don't say this with any criticism since I love Digimon and that franchise is dead, but wow.
The Digimon franchise is in no way "dead". Less successful than Pokemon =/= dead franchise.

I like their choice to give some Pokemon new forms. It doesn't clatter the Pokedex the way it did in GenII & IV BUT why did they have to do it in-battle only? I am so in need of more infos on this. This could be cool, but it also coulnd't be worth the effort.

Oh, I get it now. Ampharos was meant to be read 電竜 Denryū all along, despite not being part-dragon. So Megaampharos fixes this. (Or is it MegAmpharos? As in, an Ampharos named Meg?)

Other than that, I'm glad Absol got another buff. The others, I can't say yet. Is it a true evolution or a reversible formshift? (In TCG terminology, Stage 3 or closer to LV. X?)

Here are my two theories:

1. The new Megaformes can only be reached in-battle when the Pokemon has its Hidden Ability. This way they are more hard to come by and this also connects to my point
2. Only a handful of fan-favourites will get these Megaformes initially. New formes will be added via DLC, as no new Pokedex entry is required for these. Perfect.

But what do Mega Pokemon have to do with genetics? I can understand it being brought back with some relevance in the games, but as far as we know genetics have nothing to do with Mega Pokemon.
No one knows yet, but given that there is a picture showing Mega Mewtwo using a move with the DNA symbol (aka the symbol present in Pokémon X and Y logos), I think it is safe to assume that the mega evolutions are tied to genetics in some way. Even it the mega evolutions and genetics aren't related, what does this have to do with the reasoning for only Blaziken getting one?

That's like saying why doesn't Sableye have a mega form? It was Mawile's counterpart. Lucario got a mega form? Why don't they just give all the Fighting and Steel types Mega forms?
But who is to say that Sableye will not get a mega evolution as well? Also, counterparts not getting evolutions in the same generation already happened once (Dusclops and Banette). About the last part... really? are you serious? XD

Blazikenite makes me think that there's a Mega Stone for every Mega Evolution - Absolite, Mawilite, instead of just one Mega Stone. This would let them introduce a few Mega Evolutions now and add more through patches or sequels instead of having to do a Mega for everyone right now - but I still wouldn't be surprised if nearly all the Pokemon DID get Mega formes in XY.

Wow. This is very, very Digimon. I don't say this with any criticism since I love Digimon and that franchise is dead, but wow.
The Digimon franchise is in no way "dead". Less successful than Pokemon =/= dead franchise.

Card game, anime, and V-Pets are all gone. It's dead it the water. Yeah, it's been getting a couple PSP games, but that's literally all that's happened since Xros Wars 2 ended a long time ago.

I like their choice to give some Pokemon new forms. It doesn't clatter the Pokedex the way it did in GenII & IV BUT why did they have to do it in-battle only? I am so in need of more infos on this. This could be cool, but it also coulnd't be worth the effort.

Actually, I'd really like it if all Formes including Mega Evolutions got their own PokeDex entries but not their own numbers - when it gives you a View Formes option in the PokeDex it could give you a paragraph on how its different in this Forme.

They look...horrible.

Like they came straight from a 13 year old kid's deviantArt account. I'll have to know more about the method and context of Mega Evolution before passing judgement on it as a mechanic, but other than the Mawile one the Mega Evolutions revealed so far are absolutely ghastly.

Like they came straight from a 13 year old kid's deviantArt account.
13 year old Deviantartists can do much better than the currently revealed Mega Evolutions. Not saying that the Megas are bad in design, just that 13 year old Deviantartists have exceptional ability.
No, I'm not on Deviantart. Or 13.

I don't really have any strong positive or negative opinions about the mega evolutions yet (none of them are Pokémon I really care about). However, I'm mostly interested in what's the story behind the choosing of these particular Pokémon. Will there be more Mega Evolutions in this generation, or will it be just the six revealed? Why them? Was it just popularity or will there be an actual legend for them in the plot?

I'm guessing there's going to be many more than just this six. That said, I don't know how many will be available at launch. I think many of these will become event, or event-like Pokémon.

I don't know whether I should love or hate Mega Evolutions. All the current ones have good designs, and I like to try one. But on the other hand, they are absolutely pointless, especially on old Pokemon. It sort of started to make me think that Game Freak is running out of ideas, even though I don't believe that much.

I don't know whether to love or hate the MegaEvolutions. All the current ones have good designs, and I like to try one. But on the other hand, they are absolutely pointless, especially on older Pokemon. It sorta started to make me think that if Game Freak is running out of ideas, even though I don't believe in it much.
I'm pretty sure Gamefreak wouldn't have introduced these without intending to do something with them. There is a point to then, even if we don't know it right know. My guess is to make battles more exciting. Or it could be related to the plot of XY, supposed genetics? Team Flare? Who knows, the possibilities are endless.

Right now, I can't say that I like them, but I'm willing to give it a chance (see it in action) before passing judgment. As for the designs, MegaBlaziken is definitely the best, IMO. But the others are just meh to me. Except for MegaAbsol, which I downright dislike.

I wonder what the criteria is for getting a mega evolution? I certainly don't see a pattern here, nor do I see every final-stage pokémon getting one. That would be ridiculous. Or maybe there simply isn't a pattern?

Last edited:

I don't know whether to love or hate the MegaEvolutions. All the current ones have good designs, and I like to try one. But on the other hand, they are absolutely pointless, especially on older Pokemon. It sorta started to make me think that if Game Freak is running out of ideas, even though I don't believe in it much.
I'm pretty sure Gamefreak wouldn't have introduced these without intending to do something with them. There is a point to then, even if we don't know it right know. My guess is to make battles more exciting. Or it could be related to the plot of XY, supposed genetics? Team Flare? Who knows, the possibilities are endless.
Well, you are right on that one. Now that I'm thinking of it, I personally think that it will relate to the plot, since we have that new Gym Leader who knows Mega Evolutions. Team Flare is another likely guess, too.

It's confirmed that Mega evolutions are temporary in-battle changes only, and that not every fully evolved Pokemon will get one. I'm thinking it'll be some kind of "limit break" type thing that a Pokemon might be able to do under certain circumstances.

I only hope the rest of them aren't as tacky as these ones.

I really hate regular Blaziken but the new MegaBlaziken looks a lot better the more I've looked at it (of course, it being Blaziken, it already has some really good fanart).

MegaLucario still looks shit.

Or it could be related to the plot of XY

Could we end up seeing MegaXerneas and MegaYveltal, maybe?

Something that is really bothering about this Mega Evolution feature is the fact that I feel like Game Freak is kind of taking the easy route by not giving certain Pokémon a full blown evolution and instead giving them this temporary Mega Form, which I feel it should have been called since an "Evolution" to me is when a Pokémon like Mankey literally evolves into a Primeape and stays like that permanently. One of the Top 5 Pokémon I was hoping to evolve this Generation was Mawile (and Absol too) and as luck would have she didn't, what she got was a Mega Evolution (Form to me because like I said it wears off after a battle) and I must say I'm pretty sad but what's done is done, but still I would have loved a 100% real evolution for her. Now one can say this doesn't necessarily rule out an evolution for her but all the Pokémon she was featured with are fully evolved like Ampharos, Blaziken and, Lucario, a standalone like Absol and a legendary like Mewtwo so yeah I'm pretty much thinking that she or any other Pokémon that gets a Mega Evolution (Form) in the stage that they are in will most probably not get a true evolution at all, the event Torchic kind of alludes me to largely believe that this is the case in point due to the name of the item it is holding "Blazikenite".

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom