• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mega Evolution

What is your favorite Mega Evolution?

• Total voters
Re: Mega Evolution Discussion

I'm... kinda glad Absol's getting a Mega Evolution rather than a standard evolution. I've always thought that Absol looks like a perfectly mature Pokémon, and I didn't think a evolution really suit it because of that, although I understood it was considered a little weak. A Mega Evolution seems like a good way of getting Pokémon that are already mature a more powerful form, particularly since Pokémon than can still normally evolve are generally considered immature.

I wonder if this is a way to get around the Eviolite problem, where giving existing Pokémon new evolutions can make the Eviolite suddenly work where it hadn't before. Alternatively, this can be used to give Pokémon like Shuckle a power boost, whereas Shuckle may've been too powerful if it could use an Eviolite.

I hope Mewtwo is the catalyst of this whole phenomenon in order to justify him having a Mega Evolution and not all the other legendaries, because right now, it feels like they pulled a name out of a hat. I was originally thinking that Mewtwo would be found in-game and that there would be a backstory behind its transformation, but if it is nothing more than one of the many legendaries that can have Mega Evolutions, then I can easily see it simply getting an event and being unobtainable in X and Y, similar to Torchic. Although, if Blaziken is the only one getting this event during that time frame, I guess the others might be obtainable in-game.

By the way, even if these aren't necessarily new Pokémon, we will most likely have well over 150 total designs in X and Y if there is a large number of Mega Evolutions. I’m pretty positive that this is the case, because CoroCoro just revealed six right off the bat and are getting ready to reveal even more next month. If they can reveal around ten before release, there are probably at least 30 found in-game and a few more that will be obtainable in later events.

I think it's safe to say all the starters will be getting mega-evolutions. That's another 17, as we've already seen Blaziken's.

I can't wait to see Serperior's. I wonder if Charizard will *finally* get a Dragon typing.

Hopefully the English X/Y site will update with the new information soon so we don't have to rely on scans.

I think Ampharos and Absol's designs look pretty cool, I'll weigh in on the whole context of it later since I have little time at the moment to make a text wall. Though some look good, they do seem to have their disadvantages. I wonder if this will hinder the chance of more Pokemon coming into place? Remember how Sinnoh had a low standalone Pokemon count because they gave evolutions to a lot of older Pokemon? Mega Absol looks like a guardian angel, guess it's a throwback to its disaster warning motif?

"A new Power has been awakened, unleashing the hidden Fairy type and Mega formes."

I've grown to quite like this new development after my initial reaction of "this is some DeviantArt shit". I'm kinda excited to see what will develop! I'm hoping for MegaVanilluxe with a cherry on top. I still can't forgive those wings on Absol though. That is some straight up DeviantArt shit.

It's times like these that I remind myself that I shouldn't take these things so seriously. I don't think anyone wants to be the one who unironically says, "I am angry about the direction a children's game series has taken." After all, you gotta learn to have some fun. Especially with a ridiculous children's game.

[video=youtube;p_HkD8iocgA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_HkD8iocgA[/video]

Didn't know we were gonna be playing Digimon X and Y this October hur hur hur

I believe IF we'll get other Mega-starters it will be just Hoenn & Kalos ones

I'll just say four things

1. The designs are ugly. Seriously.
2. This is Pokemon, not Digimon. I'm sure many of you have already noticed and complained/rejoiced about it. Pokemon had already received enough criticism over the years on how it was looking more and more Digimon-ish every time they move on to the next generation, and now they're doing it directly as if saying "Yeah, we're going Digi. Problem?"
3. Mawile and Absol should have gotten evolutions - not temporary mega-digivolution. What a waste of potential.
4. This concept, was not necessary. I barely understood the reason behind Mewtwo's alternate form, but this...no.

Okay I have a few things to say about this. First to those who are saying this is Digimon-like... no, no it isn't. I have been a fan of Digimon longer than Pokémon and it doesn't even feel remotely Digimon-like. It actually feels more like the Super Forms of Dragon Ball Z or Sonic the Hedgehog, or the transformations of DBZ. The reason I say this is because when a Digimon evolves (Digivolves), they usually have a massive change in size and appearance, while the Mega-Evolutions just seem to have minor changes like a powered up battle mode of Dragonball. The only reason people like to say that Digimon is like Pokémon or Pokémon is like Digimon is due to the fact that the both have "mon" in their names. This is about the same as saying that Marvel and DC are the same as they both have worlds of superheroes. Also the fact that the enhanced forms are gained through use of an item reminds me of Sonic the Hedgehog more than it does of Digimon. Oh, also the Mega Form of Digimon only exists in Saban... in Japan that form is called Ultimate and the American Ultimate form is called Perfect in Japan. That said let me move on to point two.

I actually like the idea of the mega forms as it adds something new to the game and does make it seem larger than previous games. That said, just because Mawile and Absol have mega evolutions doesn't mean they won't receive normal evolutions as well. That is called Conclusion Jumping which I am not a fan of. Wait and see, for all you know some of those pokemon may gain evolutions/pre-evolutions as well. There are still two months to go and Game Freak is being more secretive than before so all we can do is wait.

I seriously hope people stop complaining about Pokemon looking too much like Digimon. If you have a problem with the way they look, don't play it, simple. GameFreak have created hundreds and hundreds of Pokemon, it's not necessarily that easy to come up with hundreds of designs every generation. All the Pokemon to me look original to me, and don't look similar enough to any digimon I've ever seen, although admittedly I haven't seen Digimon in a very long time.

Why is it, I see people complaining about Pokemon being like Digimon for temporary evolutions, when I see no complaints that Digimon uses evolving monsters just like Pokemon does? Apparently, it's okay for Digimon to be based on monsters that can evolve like Pokemon is, but it isn't okay for Pokemon to have temporary evolutionary forms like Digimon do.

It's times like these that I remind myself that I shouldn't take these things so seriously. I don't think anyone wants to be the one who unironically says, "I am angry about the direction a children's game series has taken." After all, you gotta learn to have some fun. Especially with a ridiculous children's game.

This is what I've started to think. My initial reaction yesterday was pretty much just a horrified outburst at what was happening, but then I started to realise that this is a game and it is what it is and no amount of upset or complaining from me will change it. And since then I've actually started to somewhat like the idea. I don't love the idea, but I'm willing to see what becomes of it.

The concept itself could lead to some interesting battles. And the designs aren't all bad except MegaLucario's; I actually think MegaBlaziken is an improvement on Blaziken. And fluffy Electric/Dragon Ampharos is beyond awesome.

Well I am excited for these, although I don't really think giving Lucario an attack boost AND adaptability was a good idea

I'm out traveling all day and this news breaks. At first, I was a skeptic, but now they've grown on me.

Mega Absol is pretty.

I'm not sure what to think of Mega Evolution. I can say that I don't like their clear favoritism here: I mean, seriously, giving a mega evolution to a starter? Also, I don't like how Mewtwo's form is actually an evolution. And if they give my favorite Pokemon, Arcanine, a Mega Evolution and it looks bad, I'm probably going to not get X and Y. What I do like is how risky this step is: Nintendo probably knows that there are going to be a ton of people who are going to hate Nintendo for this, and another side that supports them still. I'm actually expecting every Pokemon to get a Mega Evolution, and much more then we've seen so far.

[video=youtube;YTHgE0vtOXU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTHgE0vtOXU[/video]

New Mega Evolutions footage.

I hope one of Ash's Current Pokemon can become Megamon !
Specially Donphan ,
It should ether have a expand evolution Or Mega Evolution .
Does Only fully evolve Pokemon get to be Megamon ???

So, it seems that there's another condition on top of the Mega Stone that a Pokémon needs to achieve for a Mega Evolution. That's something I'm interested in.

My post copied from pokebeach.

Note in this thread I'll be referencing other RPGs and MMOs for ideas and suggestions.

Mega Evo = Awakening Mode in this Thread.

In my opinion this Mega Evolution is very similar to an Awakening mode like in other games.

Since the information right now is pretty vague, we can talk about this.

Awakening mode right now requires certain requirements to be activated like holding a certain item. Does that mead the mega evolution happen right when the pokemon is sent out. Or there are more requirements.

I play an KRPGMMO called Elswords which is on steam and a great game. Other MMOs and fighting games have a similar system.

It contains an awakening mode where every time you hit an enemy or get hit by an enemy your awakening bar will fill up.

Where this applies to pokemon is if you successfully hit the enemy it will fill up an awakening bar which varies per pokemon. A random number like 15 hits at or by the enemy will allow you to activate it. Switching shouldn't reset the bar.

For defensive oriented pokemon getting hit or using support moves will boost that.

Another system is to fill up the bar is to basically use the pokemon for a certain amount of turns. Say 10, 15, etc. In online battles it will start from 0 and doesn't drop or decrease if you switch. In singleplayer it could reset when you complete a battle or it will not reset/ continue on from where you left of.

I guess once you're in awakening mode
a 10% stat boost could occur. But the official thing now is a certain stat will be boosted.

Overall I like this Mega Evolution / Awakening mode it seems to speed up the battles I guess and you turn BA.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Pretty much love at first sight on this. I think it's a great idea (maybe not the best, but it's not exactly bad either). Having the possibility to bring new life to the eariler gen pokemon is a good idea. All of the designs on those we know of now are great, I don't have a lot to complain about.

And people still complain about that we won't get an actual evolution of absol/mawile, and, "they're now ruined". I feel like these designs doesn't qualify for a full on permanent evolution. Mawile still looks like Mawile, just with two big jaws (unless you only look at it from the back, you may have a point), and Absol still looks like Absol just with wings and a bigger horn. Not that big of a difference. Lucario's design is the most "different" but there's no "major" difference.

If you compare the Mega Evolutions to any other evolution, you'll see that there's no major difference, like every single regular evolution got. Mawile may be discussed, but since it got a Mega Evolution, Game Freak probably never intended of making an evolution of it, even if this was never planned and this never happened. Some pokemon are just meant to stay unevolved.

Now for some more opinions. Mawile turning into a steel/fairy type. WHAT. All this time (without actually checking any site for info) I've thought Mawile was a steel/dark type. Makes no sense (other than it's in the fairy egg group). YEA I LIKE MY FAIRY WITH A BIG DEADLY JAW ON ITS HEAD...
MegaAmpharos gaining Dragon type is just hilarious. Just the idea of a "mega electric sheep dragon" makes me giggle. I don't hate it, I just find it very funny. And yay it grew back some wooly hair.
MegaLucario should've gained a special attack boost but since it's gaining Adaptability, it's just a mean killing machine. 180 power on that Aura Sphere, 240 on Close Combat and even 300 on that Focus Blast? DAYMN. I also really wonder what the other conditions for getting a Mega Evolution is. Hopefully it's not something that makes it an extremely rare occurrence. But I'm loving this stuff.

The trailer looks great and my opinion is quickly changing for the better. (Well, no surprise there.)

Also, as much as this new feature has opened up many new opportunities for designs, it also creates a window through which GameFreak can control and streamline the meta game in ways that they haven't been able to do before. I'm not sure if this is the way that it would be done, but through methods such as DLC GameFreak can introduce a new Megalution to help balance, buff or nerf a certain type or type of team. It could prove extremely useful and keep the meta game fresh.

I'm excited to see what other Megalutions are on their way.

That trailer completely turned me on a 180, when I first saw them, I hated every single thing about them.

Granted, I'm still not thrilled with some of the designs (I totally prefer normal Lucario to MegaLucario, and I've always hated Blaziken, Mega or not), but the fact that it's an in-battle option (and maybe it takes up a turn, like item use) makes me stop despising it as much. I wonder what the stat changes will be, though.

Not totally getting why Ampharos' ears have turned all bubbly, though. It's like they're overinflated.

That being said, I agree with what many have already said - Mawile should have received a normal evolution. I also kinda fear that some Pokémon that should get regular evos will instead get these MegaEvos... but I guess time will tell.

Also, for the trollishness... TORCHIC GIVEAWAY, HOENN CONFIRMED.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom