• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mega Evolution

What is your favorite Mega Evolution?

• Total voters
Re: Mega Evolution Discussion

There seems to be something after the gender symbol above the health bar for Mega Kangaskhan. Looks like a Mega Stone. Interestingly, Mega Kangaskhan doesn't get a "Mega" prefix in its name during battle. The Mega Stone symbol might be what indicates a Pokémon being in its Mega Evolution form.

Actually, now knowing that you attack with Kangaskhan and the baby, I don't think the baby will ever be its own Pokemon.
I guess that's why they're mega evolutions and not forms, because I feel they're gonna be taking the place of a lot of cross generation evolutions. I wouldn't be surprised if Sylveon was the only cross gen evo.

I really hope that won't be the case. While I like the designs for most of the Mega Pokemon and I'm curious about the process of Mega Evolution in general, I think it would be such a waste if we only got one traditional evolution for an older Pokemon in this generation. Even with their Mega forms, Mawile and Absol could benefit from having traditional evolutions and there are plenty of other Pokemon who could benefit from that as well. I'm okay with Pokemon who are fully evolved or would be more overpowered if they received a traditional evolution, but I would hope that we get some more traditional evolutions for older Pokemon.

As for Mega Kangaskhan, it seems odd how Kangaskhan itself doesn't really change, but the baby looks adorable. I wasn't expecting Kangaskhan to get a Mega form, so that was a surprise. The Parental Bond ability sounds really broken, so hopefully there's something to balance it out.

The thing I love the most about Mega Kangaskhan is how simple it is. There's no changes at all besides the baby being there, yet it makes the whole Pokemon look different at the same time.

Can't wait to see what else they come up with.

I can only hope that Smash will show Absol, Ampharos and Mawile instead of the others, so all of them have been "officially revealed". Probably won't happen.

This is definitely my least favourite of them all, but the more time goes by the more I worry for cross-generation evolutions in the future, especially seeming even with these formes, I want Mawile and Absol to evolve permanently. I don't think they are abolishing them, but you can't help but worry...

I think Mega Evolution is more like a power up. I think a better name would be Mega Mode.
I can see it acting like Blaze, Overgrow, Swarm etc, where once your Pokemon's health bar is in the red, if it is holding the required stone, it will go into Mega Mode.

Also the English site mentions it tapping into the Pokemon's untapped potential. I wonder if Colress will appear, perhaps reformed in these games?

I don't think you people should expect more cross evolutions besides Sylveon, specially for Mawile and Absol.

It makes me a bit sad that we'll only get to see a slightly grown up baby during battle, I would've loved to be able to have it like that permanently, like a Kangaskhan pre-evo. Since it will only be present when Kangaskhan goes Mega, I guess we'll never see the baby as a separate species. Oh well, it looks really good though.

I for one love how they treated her. With parental bond both her and the baby attack. It's as if she is teaching the baby how to fight. It really drives home the point of her being the most maternal pokemon. Unlike others that lay an egg and let it be raised by a trainer they are the only one that is seen actually teaching and raising the baby herself.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I don't feel like weeding through 25 pages of discussion but I would be amazed if Colress had a part in this, it would be perfect. His goal was to bring out the ultimate potential and latent power within Pokemon. Plus he already fits the “beauty” motif of France with his ridiculous hairstyle, it’d be an excellent piece of connection and continuity and would make his whole motives less vague. Not to mention he looks like he could be related to Clemont and somewhat reforms at the end of BW2.

Does anyone think that one stage pokemon are more likely to get this power up? While it's true that Blaziken, Lucario, and Ampharos also got this evolution, I feel that one stage pokemon are the ones that will benefit the most from this.

I feel like Dunsparce has like a 99% chance of getting a Mega Evolution now and only 1% percent of an actual evolution. :/

Mega Kangaskhan getting to attack twice...hmm...I wonder if the second attack will only be at half power because y'know, the baby is attacking.

I think mega evolutions are their way of updating older pokemon without necessarily having to retcon. They've tried to avoid just saying "surprise it evolves after all" and explain it as an item we haven't discovered or a new move. This way we get the updated form with their new ideas for the pokemon is a way of keeping those that want to see new evolutions and mechanics happy while making it optional and temporary keeps those happy that say they were fine as they were. It's not an evolution so if you don't like it it's not lost forever and you can still viably play them without the mega evolution. I think the non evolving ones will get the most megas.

The more I think about this concept, the more I like it, and the "only one Mega per team" rule is the key.

This avoids the power creep problem of everyone just using Megas all of the time, with the status quo remaining except that everything now has "Mega" in front of its name. You get to choose one. The rest of your team still has to be regular Pokemon.

While we don't know everything about how the Megas are triggered, if done right, this could be a great equalizer. If there's a Pokemon you always wanted to use competitively but it kind of sucked (hey there Mawile), you can choose it as your Mega and it can face off against the big guys. And you don't have to worry about it being destroyed by a team of stronger Megas, because your opponent only gets one. I don't pretend to understand the whims of the metagame, but this could, potentially, lead to more variety in battling than we've ever seen.

I feel like Dunsparce has like a 99% chance of getting a Mega Evolution now and only 1% percent of an actual evolution. :/

But isn't a Megalution good enough for Dunsparce? It might get a new form, better stats and even a secondary type, the only difference is that the transformation is in-battle-only, unlike actual evolutions. I will be glad if Sableye, Dunsparce, Heracross and some other get Megalutions as well.

I think mega evolutions are their way of updating older pokemon without necessarily having to retcon. They've tried to avoid just saying "surprise it evolves after all" and explain it as an item we haven't discovered or a new move. This way we get the updated form with their new ideas for the pokemon is a way of keeping those that want to see new evolutions and mechanics happy while making it optional and temporary keeps those happy that say they were fine as they were. It's not an evolution so if you don't like it it's not lost forever and you can still viably play them without the mega evolution. I think the non evolving ones will get the most megas.
I agree with this. I think it makes it simpler to do.

I think Dunsparce getting an actual evolution would be better imo or both if possible.

i gotta say i was expecting something like the mega evos but in a very different way that would have made more sense to me. im not saying i hate the megaevos like they are, but a sudden transformation is more like a dargonball-ish thing that doesn't quite fit the "slowly" improving way of raising pokemons. i figured that while normal evolution is equivalent to the "growing" of an animal in some way, evolution also would happen in the breeding, like evolution in real life, adapting and stuff. this wasn't very doable because of the way breeding works already but there could have been another way around that:

when XY was first announced i thought it could have some genetic based theme or something, and when awakened mewtwo came out it kinda fit in that theme, being created by humans and all. with all that in mind i imagined there would be some kind of new "evolution" reachable through genetics, for example in a lab or whatever, and through breeding especifically.
for instance, kinda a post-game feature in which some dude you help in the main story is doing some research on breeding and genetic modification and tells you if you want to participate by lending him two compatible pokes that would produce a genetic modified egg. these genetic enhanced pokes would have different stat distribution, alternate typing (and slightly different desing). like giving that dude lets say a female charizard and a male haxorus. then as the main attacking stat from haxorus is attack you could choose to have this particular stat enhanced on your baby charmander or even pass on the dragon genes (which charizard already kinda has) thus awakening the dragon nature making a charmander that eventualy would evolve into a Fire/Dragon Charizard. The same could be done for other pokes messing with the base stats, maybe abilities and maybe even typings (like a Grass/Dragon Sceptile or Water/Dragon Gyarados/Feraligart, a Ghost/Dark Gengar, a Electric/Dark Luxray, Water/Steel Blastoise, Water/fairy Milotic, Electric/Fairy Pikachu, etc)
The reason i used charizard as an example is because making him a dragon this way would make him lose his flying type making him vulnerable to super effective ground damage, but it would be kinda weird having wings and all, so it would have to have levitate, losing blaze/solarpower or gamefreak could introduce another feature that involves the body charasteristics of each pokemon taht could have special effects. for example a "winged" characteristic that would make ground attacks against a winged pokemon less accurate, allowing pokemons like flygon have diferent abillities. or something like sharp theet or claws that boost chance of criticals in some kind of moves.

that being said im a little bit disapointed the way things are but nonetheless intrigued by this megaevos (I think they will/should be called "awakened").hopefully a lot of pokes will have it so im not restricted to a few that could go mega)

I agree with this. I think it makes it simpler to do.

This is probably their idea.

Think about it. We're getting close to having nearly 1000 Pokemon. As we gain more Pokemon some of the older ones are bound to get left behind (we saw this in Gen 4 and Gen 5). This is a way of keeping them relevant without having to add a whole new Pokemon. That way the Pokedex slots could be used for actual new Pokemon.

A mega evolution for dunsparce is the most likely in my opinion. With several non evolving pokemon suddenly getting mega forms instead of traditional evolutions, it just seems like the most likely path Game Freak will take. Still, I think dunsparce being encased by the stone then dramatically bursting out as a giant angel winged serpent dragon with a drill tail would be epic.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom