• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mega Evolution

What is your favorite Mega Evolution?

• Total voters
Re: Mega Evolution Discussion

im on the fence with mega-forms

they can enhance a lot of great and underused pokemon (ohh triopius, my beautiful bananabearded brontosaurus... you are so neglected) but then it closes out the ability for them to obtain actual evolutions. and pokemon like blaziken and lucario didnt NEED them >_> like at all.

i DO like that megapokemon are limited to one per team. this will keep players battles from becoming MEGA-EVERYTHINGOMFG

Meganium is a way better sauropod than Tropius. Much beautifuller.

It's been confirmed that Mega Evolution can be done as soon as a Pokemon is switched out and it doesn't take up a turn. Mawile is officially the best dragon killer. ;D

So if you can combine Mega Evolution with a Pokemon's attack in the same turn, can you combine it with switching in a Pokemon so that they go Mega right as they switch in (possibly even before considering entry hazards) ?

Priority as in its the first thing that happens in the turn you choose to Mega Evolution. Not taking up a turn and being able to attack at the same time as one Mega Evolves doesn't mean it Mega Evolves before it is attacked that turn.
Depends on what priority the Mega command gets (I'd wager +6, on par with using Trainer items; only Pursuit can be faster than that).

Last edited:

So if you can combine Mega Evolution with a Pokemon's attack in the same turn, can you combine it with switching in a Pokemon so that they go Mega right as they switch in (possibly even before considering entry hazards) ?

Eh... I hope. but right now it's totally unknown. Sounds a bit unlikely, but who knows? I hope that it can work that way.

The Mega Evolution is shown on the "Fight" screen of the Pokemon that can Mega Evolve so it seems highly unlikely you can choose it then switch....and even if you could it would be the Pokemon that's already out Mega Evolving.

Man...I'm still not a hater of those but I can't deny that the way you're able to use Mega evolution will make a HUGE impact on competitive gameplay. It will give you alot of flexibility, cost-less flexibility. Like say, you're playing with Ampharos which is slow and say your pokemon is already at lowered health, then your opponent casts out a new pokemon, Charizard, who is faster than Ampharos, and can now finish him off, all you have to do is switch ampharos into Electric/Dragon, fire attack power becomes halved, and Ampharos nukes Charizard with and electric move...etc. Not to mention that these mega evolved pokemon will probably also gain new moves, since they can change type.

The only flaw I see there is that mega evolved pokemon can't go back (I presume)

The only flaw I see there is that mega evolved pokemon can't go back (I presume)

If by go back, you mean revert back to normal Ampharos, you will after the battle ends. But not during battle.

Yeah that's what I mean. Switching those "formes" freely during battle would be even worse, like, imagine fighting a Deoxys that can change forme anytime it wants.

mmicon_zps470f842f.png

I don't think there was ever any doubt about this, but Mega Evolutions having their own icon is confirmed.

If MegaWobbuffet does happen, I'd love to see the tail (which supposedly contains the brain) go through the most evolution and be a hulking monster behind the blue part. Similar to Crona and Ragnarok from Soul Eater.

Last edited:

Remember that Registered Trademark list of potential Mega Evolutions? And Tyranitar was on it? And now we know that we can choose when to Mega Evolve?

Can you imagine sending out Tyranitar and creating a sandstorm, and then mega evolving it....and what if it's ability is Sand Rush. That's better than any item Mega Tyranitar could be given. Now it's got a +1 special defense from sandstorm and a +2 speed from Sand Rush. Like who cares about increased stats that combination of abilities would be killer. At maximum, its only slower than Deoxys-S.

My biggest fear with Mega Evolutions is that they are going to turn the game play into a Queen-Pawns relationship.

What I mean by that, is that the main focus of the battle will be supporting your Mega (Queen) with the other 5 non Megas of your team (the Pawns), to either set up your own Mega or counter your Mega's weaknesses.
What ultimately matters could be who your Mega is and whose your opponents is, and once their Mega is out of the way, the game is more or less yours- as opposed to the more equal relationship all 6 non-Mega pokemon teams have now.

If certain Mega pokemon are even so powerful as to wreck any non-Megamon, it could even turn into "Oh, you brought X Megamon, which counters my Y Megamon, GG."

I think the last scenario is a little too strong to predict, thanks to entry hazards, burns, t-wave, crits, protect, the type chart, and the like, but still possible.

I also predict some Megamon's just won't be competitive, due to being outclassed by others.

The evolutions look cool, but it's just another gimmick. Nothing I will ever care about.

Remember that Registered Trademark list of potential Mega Evolutions? And Tyranitar was on it? And now we know that we can choose when to Mega Evolve?

Can you imagine sending out Tyranitar and creating a sandstorm, and then mega evolving it....and what if it's ability is Sand Rush. That's better than any item Mega Tyranitar could be given. Now it's got a +1 special defense from sandstorm and a +2 speed from Sand Rush. Like who cares about increased stats that combination of abilities would be killer. At maximum, its only slower than Deoxys-S.

Deoxys-S learns Low Kick which is 4x times effective on Tyranitar with power of 120...

However I doubt that Tyranitar would be getting Sand Rush, his design is too big and heavy. Even if he does, all you need to do is switch to a pokemon with weather changing or nullifying ability and Tyranitar will be impaired because he can't revert to have Sand Stream.

Deoxys-S learns Low Kick which is 4x times effective on Tyranitar with power of 120...
I don't actually see how that's at all related to the point I was making....that it's speed would be second only to Deoxys in its speed form. I wasn't saying Tyrannitar could take it on. Though what is hindering Tyranitar lately is its speed.

The idea of Sand Rush is that it's using sandstorm to speed itself up, I don't really see how its apparent size has anything to go against it when Dragonite can use Extreme speed and things like Ludicolo with Swiftswim.

And obviously nullifying the weather works it doesn't change the fact that it essentially becomes a fast, defensive, and powerful pseudo-legendary. And given that you can control when it transforms and Tyranitar is itself a fairly powerful Pokemon, one would think that one would wait until opposing weather inducers are defeated before Mega Evolving.

There's a reason you don't instantly Mega Evolve, and that's likely because Game Freak knows that in battle, there are situations where it is best not to show all your cards at once.

Last edited:

The evolutions look cool, but it's just another gimmick. Nothing I will ever care about.

They seem to be as gimmick-y as regular evolutions, in a way that they change the forms of Pokémon in order to power-up them, the only different is that Mega are temporary and in-battle only. I take you don't care about regular evolution as well?

Has it been stated whether or not you can freely change back into the normal form yet?

I want a Dunsparce Fairy Dragon.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom