• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mega Evolution

What is your favorite Mega Evolution?

• Total voters
Re: Mega Evolution Discussion

Mega Blastoise must be pissed because his eyes go from brown to red

I'd be pissed too if I got an ability and the only thing its useful on is Water Pulse....and even if it doubles its power the only benefit Blastoise gets is a move that's the equivalent of 100% accuracy Hydropump (which it honestly could have gotten pretty close to by using a Wide Lens if we weren't going to give it a useful item) while Charizard gets a useful ability that supercharges its fire moves and reduces its water weakness, and Venusaur gets two of its weaknesses removed.

I'm sure Gamefreak got the idea from ben 10: ultimate alien

when ben 10 use the ultimatrix, it evolves any of his aliens forms into more powerful forms (changing size and looks and granting them new powers and new abilities)
this is exactly the same when the Pokemon use the mega stones during battle, changing there appearances, size and granting new powers (like type or abilities)

way a go Gamefreak
Or you know, every franchise that has a "Super Mode", and more relevant ones to Japanese game makers would be things like Digimon (Burst Mode) and Dragon Ball Z (Super Saiyan). I'm sure there's many other examples as well.

Really, the way its set up now is even closer to Digivolution. In Digimon, the Digimon need their partners in order to digivolve. Now we know Mega Evolution cannot occur without a resonating bond between Pokemon and partner.

EDIT: So anyone notice we don't know Blastoise' stat changes? Same with Ampharos.

Last edited:
MEGA EVOLUTION: How the kanto starters will affect the x&y meta game. (THEORETICAL)

After reading on serebii about the starters new mega evolutions and abilitys, I realized something.

These are the monsters that will be apart of OU.

Charizard now outshines ninetales in drought starting, being able to one shots ferrothorn without it having focus sash. forretress quakes in fear of a burn, and various other stealth rockers or spikers don't want to get in the way of stab moves.

Of course, it will have its counters. Terrakion being one of them, being able to outspeed with scarf or live with focus sash without burn. Bulky waters or dragons also counter, because they are able to resist one stab. Mega blastoise will also wall it to peices,

However if you still feel the need to lead with ninetales, your foolish

Venusaur is now able to stand up to the pokemon that kill it. thick fat reduces damage of fire types and ice types by 50% percent. in perspective, a +2 infernape flare blitz on a defensive venusaur will do quarter damage.

Yup. You can then nuke it with a choice band earthquake or raise your stats freely, and sweep.

Venusaurs counters are mega charizard and volcarona. Mega charizard cuz fire flying type, and volcarona because it can do super effective damage for alot after a quiver dance, and it resists both of venusaurs stab.

Blastoise will be up for the sole purpose of firing off 100 power surfs and other moves and walling charizard. Choice specs surf boosted by mega launcher will destroy any fire types in its path.

It's counters will be any grass type to be honest. any pokemon with good special defence will destroy this thing unless it gains boosts in defence.

This is all theoretical, in saying charizard will get boosts in sp. attack and attack, blastoise in defences, and venusaur whatever he gets, Also due to the fact of x&y is not released.

I hope I have it in the right thread.

Re: MEGA EVOLUTION: How the kanto starters will affect the x&y meta game. (THEORETICA

But Mega Launcher probably won't boost Surf...

Re: MEGA EVOLUTION: How the kanto starters will affect the x&y meta game. (THEORETICA

Blastoise will be up for the sole purpose of firing off 100 power surfs and other moves and walling charizard.

Except you know, that's not how its ability works. And yeah, sure, destroy any fire types in its path. Like a regular Surf couldn't do that.

So how exactly is Ninetales completely outmatched by something with a x4 SR weakness? I'm not saying Charizard won't boost up to OU, I just don't see it making Ninetales obsolete, especially when there may be better Mega Evolution options that you want to use on your team. Not everyone's going to run a Mega Charizard on a sun team unless they don't want to use any other Mega. The only people I can see guaranteed using it are those who play WiFi and never caught a Drought Vulpix.

Venusaur is now able to stand up to the pokemon that kill it. thick fat reduces damage of fire types and ice types by 50% percent. in perspective, a +2 infernape flare blitz on a defensive venusaur will do quarter damage.
How do you figure that? I'm guessing you mean an Infernape with a +2 Attack boost (which means double attack). You realize 50% of double is 1 right? It's doing the same damage. But then there's also the fact it's super effective. But yeah, how do you figure "50% reduction" turns into quarter damage.

Charizard now outshines ninetales in drought starting, being able to one shots ferrothorn without it having focus sash. forretress quakes in fear of a burn, and various other stealth rockers or spikers don't want to get in the way of stab moves.

Except if its been set up already. Or you're a Flash Fire Heatran. And in what world is being able to one-shot a Pokemon with a x4 weak to your STAB brag-worthy as if Ninetales couldn't do that already? In what world does "Anything you can do I can do exactly the same" equal to outshining it? In what world does Ferrothorn hold Focus Sash.

Last edited:

Throw Drizzle or Drought on the most garbage Pokemon and it can go to Ubers/OU easily. Still, I think some might prefer Ninetales for the better typing and bulk meanwhile others might go for Charizard for decent speed and power. Plus, some might just wanna Mega-Evolve another Pokemon over using Mega Charizard and of course Hidden Pebbles a.k.a Stealth Rock still proves to be a massive thorn in its side and its garbage typing and getting killed by one of the most popular moves in the metagame, Stone Edge.

Is it just me or does the new mega ring thing further solidify the claim that mega shinka is based on the burst mode of digimon?
I'm in a pinch!!! gambate Lucario!! * my mega ring shines with light of serenity or courage or whatnot* Mega ring burst!!! Lucario Mega shinka!! Lucario mega mode XD
;__;

Edit: with digimon savers flashback playing as insert song.

Except you know, that's not how its ability works. And yeah, sure, destroy any fire types in its path. Like a regular Surf couldn't do that.

So how exactly is Ninetales completely outmatched by something with a x4 SR weakness? I'm not saying Charizard won't boost up to OU, I just don't see it making Ninetales obsolete, especially when there may be better Mega Evolution options that you want to use on your team. Not everyone's going to run a Mega Charizard on a sun team unless they don't want to use any other Mega. The only people I can see guaranteed using it are those who play WiFi and never caught a Drought Vulpix.

How do you figure that? I'm guessing you mean an Infernape with a +2 Attack boost (which means double attack). You realize 50% of double is 1 right? It's doing the same damage. But then there's also the fact it's super effective. But yeah, how do you figure "50% reduction" turns into quarter damage.

Except if its been set up already. Or you're a Flash Fire Heatran. And in what world is being able to one-shot a Pokemon with a x4 weak to your STAB brag-worthy as if Ninetales couldn't do that already? In what world does "Anything you can do I can do exactly the same" equal to outshining it? In what world does Ferrothorn hold Focus Sash.

1. Ferrothorn with focus sash allows it to survive one hit, in a scenario with ninetales out front, its a guaranteed stelth rock/ spikes if your a hipster

2, If your running a sun team and you throw your drought user out the 3rd/4th turn your a idiot. this is implying sending out charizard first

3 for stealth rock users /\

4, Mega venusaur with bulk and thick fat

5. mega cannon as stated by serebii said it raises its attack so it was'nt that clairifyed

and now i think about it the forretress was stupid so you win there

I noticed that Xavier was yelling when he Henshin'd...

I wonder if you have to push the Mega Evolution and then yell out for your Pokemon in the microphone to make it Mega Evolve (of course you could yell anything or blow into it, but for the kids thinking they actually need to shout the Pokemon's name would be cool) since Masuda talks about how you'll feel like your heart is connected to the Pokemon.

I'm thinking it has something to do either with needing max Happiness before a Mon can Megavolve, or maybe some new "friendship" mechanic that may or may not tie in with PokAmie.

Except for the fact that a lot of Pokemon who can set up SR and Spikes are Ground or Rock, and the fact that Rock resists Fire while most Ground Pokemon can learn at least Rock Slide.

Of course, it will have its counters. Terrakion being one of them, being able to outspeed with scarf or live with focus sash without burn. Bulky waters or dragons also counter, because they are able to resist one stab. Mega blastoise will also wall it to peices,

Someone else already mentioned how this is a rather ignorant statement. Are you forgetting you can only have ONE Megavolved Pokemon on your team at a time? There could be plenty of cases where Drought Tales is picked over MZard, especially considering that taking 50% damage from SR alone is still crippling, regardless of its boost in Spe Atk.

Yup. You can then nuke it with a choice band earthquake or raise your stats freely, and sweep.

Uh, nope. Unless Gen6 has changed the game, you can only have one Held Item at a time. And since you need to be holding a Mega Stone to Megavolve in the first place, that locks out holding anything else.

Venusaurs counters are mega charizard and volcarona. Mega charizard cuz fire flying type, and volcarona because it can do super effective damage for alot after a quiver dance, and it resists both of venusaurs stab.

Blastoise will be up for the sole purpose of firing off 100 power surfs and other moves and walling charizard. Choice specs surf boosted by mega launcher will destroy any fire types in its path.

Again, nope. Not gonna be holding Choice Specs AND a Mega Stone.

It's counters will be any grass type to be honest. any pokemon with good special defence will destroy this thing unless it gains boosts in defence.

This is all theoretical, in saying charizard will get boosts in sp. attack and attack, blastoise in defences, and venusaur whatever he gets, Also due to the fact of x&y is not released.

Yeah, stuff in bold in the quote.

Sure it cant happen( turn back to normal during the battle)?Was it confirmed?

Uh, it was stated some time ago that you can only have one Megavolved Pokemon on your team at a time and that the Megavolution only lasts until the end of the battle (and can only be achieved in battle, for that matter).

read post above hellsing posts

ho-hum! a man can dream of choice specs mega evolutions?

While I'm happy to see more megas, I really feel that they missed a chance with Venusaur/Blastoise. I know the megas aren't supposed to drastically alter the look, but Blastoise just went from double cannon to triple cannon without any other neat tweaks. Adjusting his type could have been fun too. Venasaur gaining thick fat is kickass but his design is just sort of...meh. Hay look, I got flower on head! >.>

Here's hoping Mega Gengar is suitably awesome. Oh who am I kidding of course he'll be :D

1. Ferrothorn with focus sash allows it to survive one hit, in a scenario with ninetales out front, its a guaranteed stelth rock/ spikes if your a hipster

You realize how utterly useless it is to give Ferrothorn Focus Sash don't you? It's one of the most defensive Pokemon in the game and apart from its x4 weakness (which according to Smogon, it can still survive Flamethrowers from users like Tyrannitar, and even outwall fire users in rain despite its x4 weakness) you're giving a scenario that would almost never happen, and if the person did use Focus Sash Ferrothorn, they probably aren't that great a battler to bother anyway.

Like you realize Ninetales isn't going to be out forever, you just need to force it to switch out with another Pokemon (same with Charizard) and then switch Ferrothorn in at appropriate times.

"If you're a hipster" isn't a valid scenario where Charizard is better than Ninetales outright.

2, If your running a sun team and you throw your drought user out the 3rd/4th turn your a idiot. this is implying sending out charizard first

Doesn't seem that idiotic when you feign not being a weather team to take out your opponent's weather inducer before sending out your Drought user. I've done that with my Hail team back in DP's early days and won me victories against more powerful Sand teams. But that's besides the point. In a metagame with four types of weather, you're going to be switching your weather on and off multiple times. That's basically the game even when it was just Sand vs. Hail. Your Charizard is basically only going to do its job once.

Kind of hard listening to a person saying "your an idiot" while suggesting that Focus Sash Ferrothorn is a valid threat for consideration.

3 for stealth rock users /\
Not even sure what this is referring to.
4, Mega venusaur with bulk and thick fat
That still doesn't come out to "it does quarter damage" considering that its defenses aren't confirmed to double, so yeah, pulling numbers out of your ass.

5. mega cannon as stated by serebii said it raises its attack so it was'nt that clairifyed
"mega cannon as stated by serebii" isn't an official source considering we know what Mega Cannon does "as stated by the official XY site" and considering the time you posted your thread, you should have known too.

Mega Golurk
Ability: Moody
Stat changes: Increase Speed and Attack

The Pokedex entry alludes to the fact that Golurk can fly at mach speeds, and if the seal on its chest is removed, it's power would make its internal energy go out of control. While others view it as Mega Golurk becoming extremely powerful, I think it can be interpreted as Golurk being unable to regulate its power, hence Moody (or Sudden Impulse in Japan) because its an ability that best mimics an out of control power.
The first thing that popped into my head when I read this was: "Robot rampage." I am loving this idea. You listening, GF? Could ya make it happen, please?

I noticed that Xavier was yelling when he Henshin'd...

I wonder if you have to push the Mega Evolution and then yell out for your Pokemon in the microphone to make it Mega Evolve (of course you could yell anything or blow into it, but for the kids thinking they actually need to shout the Pokemon's name would be cool) since Masuda talks about how you'll feel like your heart is connected to the Pokemon.
You know, I would love to be able to do this. I'd love to have my Golurk Mega Evolve while I yelled his name simply because IT WOULD BE INSANELY COOL. I don't care that I'm an adult, this would be the coolest thing in the history of ever.

As for the new Megas, I love Mega Venusaur. I will definitely be using it on my team, as I love the design. Mega Blastoise is my second fave; wouldn't mind it on my team, thought I think I'm calling mine "Metalhead". Not a fan of Mega Charizard but then again, I've never been a huge fan of it anyway so I am indifferent to it at best.

The wait until October will be insufferable!

I like the Mega forms for the Kanto Starters. Mega Venasaur looks pretty simple in its design, but it generally works for me. Thick Fat is a pretty good ability for it when it does take away two of its major weaknesses. Mega Charizard looks really cool and my favorite out of the three. The little wings on its arms are cute and it looks even more like a dragon, despite not becoming a Fire/Dragon type. Drought is a pretty good ability and that could help it against Water Pokemon, but Stealth Rock is still going to hurt it so much. Mega Blastoise doesn't appeal to me that much. It looks too bulky for my tastes, but it might grow on me. I can't comment too much on its new ability since I'm not sure how much that could help it out.

I also like the concept of the Mega Rings working with the Mega Stones the Pokemon are holding. It hints that a connection between the Pokemon and the trainer is necessary for Mega Evolution and it looks pretty cool too.

I honestly hope that Sceptile and Swampert get some Mega Evolutions because it would be unfair if only Blaziken gets a Mega Evo. The way I see it for Regional Starters it's either the entire trio or none of them when it comes to things like this.

MSaur is growing on me the more I think about it. It was already a pretty good tank to begin with when coupled with Synthesis in the Sun and holding Black Sludge, but now Thick Fat nerfing two common weaknesses AND the boosts to its defenses? Sure, it might not have access to Black Sludge anymore, but it could still easily run in a Sun team with Synthesis, especially since Thick Fat would nearly cancel out the 1.5 boost to Fire attacks (or would it cancel it altogether? My math skills are abysmal x__x). I originally was thinking of getting Charmander as my second Starter, but since I'm definitely picking Fennekin and will be getting the Event Torchic, I figure I don't need half my team being Fire Pokemon right from the start of the game XP.

The wait until October will be insufferable!

It was insufferable back in January! Now it's downright inhumanly cruel. XY, Y U NO RELEASE EARLY?!

So anyone notice how Venusaur's increased fat and bigger flower (220.5 lbs to 342.8 lbs) is apparently heavier than Blastoise's giant cannon (188.5 lbs to 222.9 lbs)?

In fact, the big cannon are the two one it used to have fused into only one. The two smaller cannons shouldnt be too heavy, too.

So anyone notice how Venusaur's increased fat and bigger flower (220.5 lbs to 342.8 lbs) is apparently heavier than Blastoise's giant cannon (188.5 lbs to 222.9 lbs)?

Well, it makes sense. Toise's cannons combined into a single one, there's no real need for it to have gained much more mass other than what it would normally from the cannons when they're separate. I think most of that weight actually came from the additional cannons on its arms, and some from the general bulk it gains upon Megavolving.

In MSaur's case, though, the flower gets a heck of a lot bigger and it actually packs on a considerable amount of mass, thus Thick Fat.

Like Pokemon weight made any sense in the first place.

I'm thinking it has something to do either with needing max Happiness before a Mon can Megavolve, or maybe some new "friendship" mechanic that may or may not tie in with PokAmie.

Except for the fact that a lot of Pokemon who can set up SR and Spikes are Ground or Rock, and the fact that Rock resists Fire while most Ground Pokemon can learn at least Rock Slide.

Someone else already mentioned how this is a rather ignorant statement. Are you forgetting you can only have ONE Megavolved Pokemon on your team at a time? There could be plenty of cases where Drought Tales is picked over MZard, especially considering that taking 50% damage from SR alone is still crippling, regardless of its boost in Spe Atk.

Uh, nope. Unless Gen6 has changed the game, you can only have one Held Item at a time. And since you need to be holding a Mega Stone to Megavolve in the first place, that locks out holding anything else.

Again, nope. Not gonna be holding Choice Specs AND a Mega Stone.

Yeah, stuff in bold in the quote.

Sure it cant happen( turn back to normal during the battle)?Was it confirmed?

Uh, it was stated some time ago that you can only have one Megavolved Pokemon on your team at a time and that the Megavolution only lasts until the end of the battle (and can only be achieved in battle, for that matter).

If the megaevolution can only last until the end of the battle, that doesnt mean it HAS to last until the end of the battle. Yanmega's speed boost can only last until the end of the battle, but the boosts can also be canceled if yanmega returns to pokeball.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom