• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mega Evolution

What is your favorite Mega Evolution?

• Total voters
Ah yes, it was! I've said this before but I'm still questioning why Mewtwo needs another megaevolution. Perhaps mewtwo is more involved in X/Y's plot than we first thought? @_@ My guess, anyway.
What if Mewtwo does have two Mega forms but the Mega Stones are version-exclusive? Rumor did claim one is the "X" form and the other the "Y".

I'm having a hard time imagining something because Torterra's design looks amazing and I wouldn't change a thing. xD
I always said the same thing about Absol, myself . . . but when they revealed Mega Evolutions and a winged Mega Absol was right there on the debut list I'm in a mental jawdrop thinking "they did the impossible!"

Anybody want at least 1 gag Mega Evo?
I just thought of a good one:

Mega Butterfree:
049Venomoth.png

Mega Venomoth:
012Butterfree.png
:)

Last edited:
Ah yes, it was! I've said this before but I'm still questioning why Mewtwo needs another megaevolution. Perhaps mewtwo is more involved in X/Y's plot than we first thought? @_@ My guess, anyway.

Why did Mewtwo need a megalution at all? The same reason why he may have two, or because of anything else that is decided. Gamefreak wanted to.

It's possible (although I do not believe this theory, given that his mega evolution was blocked on the trailer) That Mewtwo has one mega forme, but two megastones, both version exclusive, and each megastone boosts different stats, along wth possible different abilities to.

as I stated above however, I do not believe this theory, as the image of Mewtwo's mega evolution was blocked before we saw what he megaevolved into, highly suggesting they were hiding something visible, a second forme.

I definitely think all the starters will get Mega Evolutions. They like balance, they wouldn't want one set of starters to get a Mega Evo and others not, Sceptile and Swampert are guaranteed even after Blaziken reveal

Exactly what I've been saying from the start. The ability department especially makes the case stronger. On this subject, and with the Kanto megas, I've been thinking of the designs for the rest.
-Meganium gains a bigger neck frill, and the antennae gain flowers.
-Typhlosion's collar stays the same, but now it also has flames on its wrists. Looks much more bulky.
Feraligator gets spiker, and a bit more armored,
-Sceptiles back buds bloom into pseudo wings.Much bigger arm blade, and it looks a bit more draconic. Gains secondary dragon typing.
-Swampert becomes more aquatic. Tail fin grows, and it gains webbing in between the fingers.
-Torterra's back landscape has a lake, with a river in the mountain. The tree has various fruit.
Infernape's golden markings spread. Its head flame grows, and the crown becomes more intricate.
Empoleon has a bigger trident, gains a mouth guard. The arm fins become more lithe, but still look deadly.
-Serperiors back leaves create a crown, going from two spikes to five. Its pseudo cloak lengthens, and its arms grow.
Samurott gains the biggest change, going bipedal, all clad in shell armor.
Emboar's beard grows unruly, and he now has two giant tusks. Still stout, but with a certain skinniness.

Fixing the list a little.
-Infernape gains a golden crown before the fire on its head.
-Empoleon's flippers resemble anchors, and the mouthguard becomes more pronounced.
-Serperior gains a pseudo coat tail, much like it has a pseudo collar.

I kind of doubt Mewtwo's forms- assuming there really are two- will be version exclusive. We've gotten one form unilaterally advertised so far, including it being on the XY soundtrack coverart. Closest we got to this before was the Victini and Zekrom movie, but the Reshiram version of that movie was revealed fairly soon afterwards. So I think it's more likely that both forms would be available in both games, with the second one having some sort of hidden requirement in addition to everything else that triggers Megalution.

I kind of doubt Mewtwo's forms- assuming there really are two- will be version exclusive. We've gotten one form unilaterally advertised so far, including it being on the XY soundtrack coverart.
MageLeif's leak says that the items are version-exclusive, so even though it isn't guaranteed, I don't see how it's unlikely even if it seems counter-intuitive. The OST coverart may have complementary artwork shown from the other side of the CD jacket; the two Mega Mewtwo variants aren't supposed to be shown side by side, after all.

Closest we got to this before was the Victini and Zekrom movie, but the Reshiram version of that movie was revealed fairly soon afterwards.
The closest example would be Lugia being featured in Movie 2 right before Gold and Silver's release, with Ho-Oh making a very short cameo more than two years prior. Besides, while Movie 16 advertised the current Mega Mewtwo variant, it did so in such a roundabout way that it doesn't really matter. The only thing we know about it in the context of the games is that it is a Mega Evolution with high Special Attack, which the movie failed to hint at. Most of the movie promotion focused on the regular Mewtwo, as evidenced by the complete lack of merchandise for Mega Mewtwo.

I could see a MegaTorterra going further down the route of an anklyosaurus. The thing already has a pretty dino looking head, so I could see them giving it a giant wooden tail with a ball on the end.

The closest example would be Lugia being featured in Movie 2 right before Gold and Silver's release, with Ho-Oh making a very short cameo more than two years prior. Besides, while Movie 16 advertised the current Mega Mewtwo variant, it did so in such a roundabout way that it doesn't really matter. The only thing we know about it in the context of the games is that it is a Mega Evolution with high Special Attack, which the movie failed to hint at. Most of the movie promotion focused on the regular Mewtwo, as evidenced by the complete lack of merchandise for Mega Mewtwo.

Totally forgot about those guys. Never mind, then.

Re: Mega Evolution Discussion

https://twitter.com/G1_BARI/status/375564300728815616

This is pretty cool.

Masami Obari, famed mecha designer, commenting on Mega Blastoise.

Not sure exactly what he's saying, but it seems like Mega Blastoise might have taken cues from whatever robot that is. :)
Ah, crap! That makes me want a Squirtle now.

Actually, I would like more Legendary Pokemon to have Mega Evolution as well, since Game Freak gives one to Mewtwo. It will now be unfair if other Legendary Pokemon don't receive Mega Evolution. Why Mewtwo only?
And that reminds me of something I pointed out to my husband: if you read the Wonder Card for the event shiny Dialga, it mentions that as you journey together, your bond will grow stronger. If Mega Evolution is influenced by bond and Nintendo/GF wants you to bond with your new event Dragon then maybe...

Yeah, it may be nothing. Or maybe it's something. Who knows at this point? I sure as heck don't.

So I recall people wondering how a Pokemon can possibly have two Mega Evolutions (e.g., @Samurott;)

From what it looks like, Mewtwo may have two untapped potentials. One with regards to its psychic ability (and more specifically related to sleep since it has Insomnia and learns Hypnosis) and one with regards to its physical ability. Maybe the way Mega Mewtwo transforms, while unlocking one potential, limits another. Obviously the tail in Mega Mewtwo Y migrated to its head to enhance its psychic ability.

The question remains how the different evos occurred. I am also thinking one focused purely on it's psychic ability, while the other focused on it's physical ability. The only way I can explain this naturally, though, is if Mewtwo is like Deoxys and can shift to one or the other. (in game, though, you will only be able to do one of them)

Deoxys can't even freely switch in the games without the help of meteorites (and I personally think this is an accurate representation; Deoxy's forms are affected by magnetic fields, which explains its different forms between FrLg/RSE). I'd imagine Mega Mewtwo X and Y will both be available in the same game in a future generation much like Deoxys' forms were, but I still don't understand the issue that "for it to be natural, it has to do this and that". Mewtwo has untapped potential, both physical and mental. However, pursuing to attain one potential hinders the development of the other. I don't see how that's inherently artificial even if it can't freely switch between two forms.

So I recall people wondering how a Pokemon can possibly have two Mega Evolutions (e.g., @Samurott;)

From what it looks like, Mewtwo may have two untapped potentials. One with regards to its psychic ability (and more specifically related to sleep since it has Insomnia and learns Hypnosis) and one with regards to its physical ability. Maybe the way Mega Mewtwo transforms, while unlocking one potential, limits another. Obviously the tail in Mega Mewtwo Y migrated to its head to enhance its psychic ability.

I don't think Mega Y learns Hypnosis. At least the magazine doesn't state that. It must be a mistranslation on the explanation of Insomnia. It says move such as Hypnosis which can cause sleep is not effective. Not that Mega Mewtwo Y can learn Hypnosis.

I have just one question?
can you use Mega Pokemons (excluding Legendary Pokemon) in the World Championships?

I mean, it feels that it wouldn't be fair
If they put a lot of Mega Pokemon, then everybody will use only the Pokemons with the mega evolution(due to their high status or good abilities) during the championships

and what if all the old starters will have a mega evolution and not the Kalos Starter

I don't like the rumors that 4chan mentioned, it doesn't sound right. I think that these Pokemon would only deserve a mega evolution(and not the one from the rumors):
- Gengar
- Marrowak
- Dragonite
- Heracross
- Sableye
- Aggron
- Medicham
- Swalot
- Toxicroak
- Heatran
- Klinklang
- Druddigon

I don't that there going to be any Pokemon from the old generation that going to evolve(not mega evolve)

Last edited:
I have just one question?
can you use Mega Pokemons (excluding Legendary Pokemon) in the World Championships?

I mean, it feels that it wouldn't be fair
If they put a lot of Mega Pokemon, then everybody will use only the Pokemons with the mega evolution(due to their high status or good abilities) during the championships

and what if all the old starters will have a mega evolution and not the Kalos Starter

I don't like the rumors that 4chan mentioned, it doesn't sound right. I think that these Pokemon would only deserve a mega evolution(and not the one from the rumors):
- Gengar
- Marrowak
- Dragonite
- Heracross
- Sableye
- Aggron
- Medicham
- Swalot
- Toxicroak
- Heatran
- Klinklang
- Druddigon

I don't that there going to be any Pokemon from the old generation that going to evolve(not mega evolve)

You are permitted to use only one Mega evolution per battle, so you have nothing to worry about in regards to players using an all mega evolution team of Pokemon.

Personally I feel like Mega Evolutions are going to Pokemon who either don't need it or needed real evolutions instead.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom