• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mega Evolution

What is your favorite Mega Evolution?

• Total voters
Has anyone else noticed that none pf the Gen V pokemon get a Mega Evolution?
My only explanation for that is that Mega Evolution was just used for fan service and nostalgia pandering to the older fans (mostly gen 1 crowd) and since Gen 5 mons are less popular than the first gens mons they just decided to give most mega evos to the first gens mons and none to the Gen 5 mons and that's one of the things that i hate about Mega Evolution.

It's more likely that Gen V mons didn't get Megas for the same reason that Gen VI mons didn't: because there relatively new. Some players, especially the influx on new people coming in with this generation, are still getting the hang of them. GF probably felt that it was better to not give these mons any big changes at the moment so that new players still have time to get used to them.

Last edited:
Has anyone else noticed that none pf the Gen V pokemon get a Mega Evolution?
My only explanation for that is that Mega Evolution was just used for fan service and nostalgia pandering to the older fans (mostly gen 1 crowd) and since Gen 5 mons are less popular than the first gens mons they just decided to give most mega evos to the first gens mons and none to the Gen 5 mons and that's one of the things that i hate about Mega Evolution.

Popularity explains it. Lucario + Mewtwo + Kanto starters = Fandom goes wild

It's more likely that Gen V mons didn't get Megas for the same reason that Gen VI mons didn't: because there relatively new. Some players, especially the influx on new people coming in with this generation, are still getting the hang of them. GF probably felt that it was better to not give these mons any big changes at the moment so that new players still have time to get used to them.

I remember seeing one guy play through his Y version at the local game store. He basically hasn't seen anything Pokemon since about Gen 3. Every time he encountered a new species (like Mienfoo) I'm like "yeah, that one's from G5, this is roughly what it's good at".

I remember seeing one guy play through his Y version at the local game store. He basically hasn't seen anything Pokemon since about Gen 3. Every time he encountered a new species (like Mienfoo) I'm like "yeah, that one's from G5, this is roughly what it's good at".
And your point is what exactly?

Re: Which pokemon should NOT get a mega evolution?

I think megas should generally go to a very select number of overlooked or underpowered pokemon, with a few exceptions here and there.
Should. Keyword. However, as of now, it's clear that the main parameter is popularity. Out of 28 Mega Evolutions (30 with Mega Lati@s), only 10 are of Pokémon I am sure were previously overlooked or not very popular. Only a third. If we measure by lack of power, we get an even worse figure. I would argue the only underpowered Pokémon to benefit from Mega Evolution was Mawile and every other Pokémon with this capability was perfectly usable in their own right. Some with more difficulty than others, like Manectric or Banette, but they still had at the very least one or two usable stats. So yeah. Mega Evolution is already skewered to favor popularity over any other factors. That may change in the future, but so far that seems to be the case.

Either way, Mega Evolutions I wouldn't want to see... ironically, some weak Pokémon. They often have very simplistic designs as well, for which I can't see any "Mega" design coming from. Can anyone honestly envision a Mega Unown or a Mega Luvdisc? Some like the horrible Farfetch'd and Delibird, I can kind of see, though. For the rest, I think every Pokémon has the potential to have a Mega Evolution with enough effort. Perhaps even those I can't envision myself.

Can anyone honestly envision a Mega Unown
I take it that you haven't watched Movie 3 or seen the Sinjoh Ruins event. As the Pokédex says: "When alone, nothing happens. However, if there are two or more, an odd power is said to emerge." It is quite clear that the Unown have secret powers, which can't be seen when only when one of them is battling. That said, I don't think Mega Evolution is the way to unlock that collective power.

or a Mega Luvdisc?
Many people believe that Alomomola should have been its evolution.

I think megas should generally go to a very select number of overlooked or underpowered pokemon, with a few exceptions here and there.
Should. Keyword. However, as of now, it's clear that the main parameter is popularity. Out of 28 Mega Evolutions (30 with Mega Lati@s), only 10 are of Pokémon I am sure were previously overlooked or not very popular. Only a third. If we measure by lack of power, we get an even worse figure. I would argue the only underpowered Pokémon to benefit from Mega Evolution was Mawile and every other Pokémon with this capability was perfectly usable in their own right. Some with more difficulty than others, like Manectric or Banette, but they still had at the very least one or two usable stats. So yeah. Mega Evolution is already skewered to favor popularity over any other factors. That may change in the future, but so far that seems to be the case.

Either way, Mega Evolutions I wouldn't want to see... ironically, some weak Pokémon. They often have very simplistic designs as well, for which I can't see any "Mega" design coming from. Can anyone honestly envision a Mega Unown or a Mega Luvdisc? Some like the horrible Farfetch'd and Delibird, I can kind of see, though. For the rest, I think every Pokémon has the potential to have a Mega Evolution with enough effort. Perhaps even those I can't envision myself.

Alomomola looks kinda like a Mega Luvdisc if you ask me :p
'Course I still think those two should be connected as an evolution line, but that probably won't happen...

As for Pokemon I don't think should have a Mega? Hmm... I don't think Dunsparce should get an evolution. I think it deserves a regular evolution if it's going to get anything. I don't think Muk should get one either. I can see the people at GameFreak going "Hey, we should give Muk a Mega Evolution! Any ideas for design?"
And some clerk raises their hand. "Ooh, how about making it an even BIGGER pile of sludge?"
Masuda(or Sugimori): "IT'S PERFECT!!"

Is all seriousness, though, I don't think Tropius should get one either. I'd rather it be given a pre-Evolution.

And your point is what exactly?

Relates to how G5 Pokemon still feel 'new', which is probably why they didn't get any Megas this time around.

We've had discussions about what should have megas and suchlike somewhere, but...

Are there any pokemon who you specifically don't want to get a mega evolution?

It can be something you've heard people calling for getting a mega, which you disagree with, or it can just be something you generally think should not have one, for whatever reason. This isn't really for complaining about already existing megas you disapprove of, but I guess you could slip something in about those too.

Personally, I think the rest of the pseudo-legendaries shouldn't have megas. And other already-overpowered pokemon in general, really. I think megas should generally go to a very select number of overlooked or underpowered pokemon, with a few exceptions here and there. Also, one thing I really, really do not want to happen is mega eeveelutions. I really love the eeveelutions. Giving them megas just seems... wrong. To me, at least.

So, what are your thoughts?

Ones that I wouldn't like to get a Mega Evolution are Swampert and Empoleon. Though that's only if the designers are going to make their Mega Evolved forms not look as cool as their current form.

Serperior and Infernape I wouldn't like to see as Megas as well, due to the fear that they'd be the only ones from their own Generation to get a Mega Evolved form.

I still think that every starter's final evo should receive a Mega...or at least Swampert and Sceptile since Blaziken got one... :p

Mega Sunflora: Grass/Fire with Drought. Give regular Sunflora access to Weather Ball, so when going Mega and activating Drought, it can use Weather Ball to get Fire STAB (since regular Sunflora learning Flamethrower and Fire Blast seems strange).

75 HP / 55 Atk (-20) / 85 Def (+30) / 145 Sp.Atk (+40) / 115 Sp.Def (+30) / 50 Speed (+20)

I decreased Attack because it doesn't need it. And I wasn't going to touch Speed, but then I realised that at Base 50 it could outspeed at some stuff and hit them first. Like Conkeldurr, Granbull, Mega Ampharos (Sunflora learns Earth Power at move tutors!) etc rather than being outsped by everything bar Snorlax, Ferrothorn and whatever else there is. I'd even be tempted to give it Power Swap and Overheat (as odd as the latter would be). Then it could use Leaf Storm, Overheat (sun + STAB boosted!) and Power Swap, for some fun but gimmicky shenanigans.

Either way, Sunflora needs a boost!

I think if volcarona ever gets a mega the ability should be Drought, given that it is the "sun pokemon" and his dex entries states that it can replace the sun. honestly it should be its HA, but that may make him too OP

Mega Golduck (Water/Psychic)

Usually when a Pokemon Mega Evolves, its full latent powers are unleashed (i.e. Houndoom emits so much heat that its claws turn red). Psyduck's X/Y dex entries mention that it can use its telekinetic powers only under extreme stress (i.e. headaches), and it doesn't remember using them. Golduck's X entry mentions that its telekinetic powers may be unleashed if its forehead gem glows. If Golduck Mega Evolves, it will both fully recognize and use its telepathic powers, thereby making it part-Psychic.

MG's possible base stats (being a bit more realistic with the BST distribution):

HP: 80 (remains the same like other Mega Evolutions)
ATK: 82 to 102 (usually Game Freak gives attack boosts to Mega Evolutions regardless of whether they need it)
DEF: 78 to 88 (a slight defense increase)
SP ATK: 95 to 135 (its full psychic abilities will be unlocked, so its Sp ATK should have the biggest increase)
SP DEF: 80 to 100 (since Golduck is more specially oriented, its SP DEF will probably have a higher jump than Defense)
SPEED: 85 to 95 (a slight increase in Speed to make the BST increase by 100)

Ability: Magic Guard (an ability involving its full use of Psychic abilities), but Game Freak will probably give Mega Golduck something different (possibly Synchronize or Swift Swim)

Last edited:
I'd definitely like a Mega Empoleon. Seriously, Water/Steel combo is nice - why not bring it up to the next level?

Increased stat - Special Attack
Decreased stat - Speed
Ability - Something that emphasizes Empoleon's king-like theme. 'Royalty' (lowers the opponent's best stat by one stage - sort of like Intimidate, but on a wider range)

The mega pokemon I want:

Mega Dunsparce
Type: Normal/Ground (it's a snake that burrows in the ground, come on)
Ability: Mold Breaker (to hit them nasty rotoms)
Base stat spread
Hp:100
Atk:100
Def:90
Sp Atk:75
Sp Def:75
Spd:75
Base stat total:515
When it mega evolves it pulls a dugtrio as it's in the ground, it has yellow spikes on the top of its head and blue on the bottom. It has a perpendicular line in its eye, making it have x eyes. You can see half way up its snake body. Were the blue hits the yellow it has a zig zag pattern. It's wings are bigger and instead of blue and white lines they are now spikes.

Giving Dunsparce a Mega evolution Would be a win for everybody. One, Dunsparce would be competitive (in higher tiers), the fans would go wild and use it, Nintendo would have a good useable needy pokemon (needy for some add on, like a mega evolution) and filler for normal megas.

I will post more of my ideas later, so keep checking every so often.

I really don't like that Mega Evolution thing. If you want you Pokemon stronger EV train it. :/
Not to say that Charizard getting two mega evolutions and Blaziken being the only Hoenn Starter to get one is so biased it sucks.

Also, Mega Delphox should look like this. xD

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom