• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mega Evolution

What is your favorite Mega Evolution?

• Total voters
Or how about this ...

Ability: Hypnotist
If the opponent makes contact, 1/4 chance of them falling asleep (for 1-2 turns).

it is said that hypno eats dreams, so how about an ability similar to bad dreams that also recovers health to hypno each turn the pokemon is asleep

Attachments

• 003Venusaur-Mega.png
    003Venusaur-Mega.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,287
  • 006Charizard-Mega_X.png
    006Charizard-Mega_X.png
    1,000.6 KB · Views: 6,359
  • 006Charizard-Mega_Y.png
    006Charizard-Mega_Y.png
    861.8 KB · Views: 2,538
  • 009Blastoise-Mega.png
    009Blastoise-Mega.png
    1 MB · Views: 2,526
  • 065Alakazam-Mega.png
    065Alakazam-Mega.png
    150.9 KB · Views: 354
I need Mega's for:

Butterfree
Pidgeot
Pikachu/Raichu
Lapras
Jynx
Crobat
Gallade
Roserade
Luxray
Spiritomb
Arceus (God can't be surpassed by a mere clone!)
Zoroark
Meloetta
Florges
Eevee (Normal type Mega Eeveelution = Normal type Eeveelution!)
All the starters
Mew
Ditto

Mega Charizard X is my favorite, because it looks badass, and my Mega Charizard X destroys every Pokémon in its path.

Mega Charizard X is my favorite, because it looks badass, and my Mega Charizard X destroys every Pokémon in its path.
Pfft. If you put the two Charizards against each, X can easily Rock Slide Y off the field, but not if Y is able to land a (supereffective!) Dragon Pulse first.

Pfft. If you put the two Charizards against each, X can easily Rock Slide Y off the field, but not if Y is able to land a (supereffective!) Dragon Pulse first.

My Mega Charizard X eats a Dragon Pulse, everyday, for breakfast.

Ok, so now that the Hoenn Starters got confirmed Mega's (Sceptile >>>>>>>> Swampert) we can also assume that what we've always thought about Meganium, Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Torterra, Infernape, Empoleon, Serperior, Emboar and Samurott also receiving Mega's was true.

We could even see Delphox, Chesnaught and Greninja Mega's in the next generation. Most likely in the third version of Gen. 6 (they only said Kalos Pokémon wouldn't get Mega's in X and Y. Diancie getting a Mega in ORAS shows that Kalos Pokémon can still get Mega's in other Gen. 6 games)

But there's two starters who might end up neglected. Two starters who are arguably much more popular and in need of Mega Evolution. That's right, I'm talking about Pikachu and Eevee, the player and rival's starters from Pokémon Yellow. Due to the massive popularity of the Eeveelutions and Pikachu being the face of the Pokémon franchise, these two could very well get Mega's... aside from one tiny thing. Both are unevolved Pokémon, and in Pikachu's case, the middle of an evolutionary line.

But Pikachu's the mascot of Pokémon. I'm sure they could find a loophole for Pikachu being able to Mega Evolve instead of Raichu. FFS this is the only Pokémon in Kalos with its anime voice (even Pichu and Raichu get neglected of this honor...)

In Eevee's case, there's actually a very plausible way to go about the Mega Evolution. Make Eevee Mega Evolve into a pure Normal-type. The Eonite (yes, Eevee's Mega Stone would be named after the Eon family instead of Eevee itself) would temporarily stabilize Eevee's extremely unstable DNA, allowing it to temporarily evolve into the Normal-type Eeveelution (since it'd be very redundant to have a Normal-type Eeveelution while Eevee itself is a Normal-type). This would explain why Eevee is able to Mega Evolve and not its stabilized evolutions.

I dont think Eevee should have a Mega Evolution. It takes away the possiblity of it having a regular Normal type evo which I think would have instead. I do think Game Freak probably intends for it to have an evolution for every type. I dont see why it cant have a regular Normal type evolution eventually.

Seeing shiny Garchomp megavolve for the first time... *shudder*
That thing is OP, dangerous, has scythes for arms, and pink. We're all gonna die! :scared:

If they make a Megavolution for Hydreigon, please, for the love of all that's holy, give it an ability or additional type that'll make it resistant (or normal-damage) to Fairies. Dazzling Gleam has OHKO'd my poor Hydreigon waaaaay too many times. Ridiculous. Oh, Mega Houndoom really disappointed me. I'd always thought the thing should've gotten a NATURAL evo, one where it would become a menacing kind of 3-headed Cerberus. But nooo. Instead we get a Megavolution that garuntees no new evolutions, makes its horns bigger, and tacks on a bunch of bulkier bones. Laaaame.

Your Thoughts about Mega-Evolution

I'm not sure that this has been done before, but I'm curious to know what everyone on BG thinks about Mevo so I'll ask this question: What are your general thoughts on Mevo? Good/Bad?

Now that it's been quite some time after the first Mevos got released, have your opinions about them changed?

I for one still have mixed views on them. For me personally, what makes pokemon great has always been that simple design. That has not been true in some of the recent mons especially among legendaries, but if you look at first and second gen mons they have this very simple, almost nonchalant yet slick design that is so effective in its own right. So when the first Mevo came out I was like ehhh... it just felt like something was wrong. But on the other side as someone who enjoys competitive battling I appreciate the fact that some of the old mons have been revamped with megas and got their chances to shine. So what are your opinions?

Re: Your Thoughts about Mega-Evolution

I for one still have mixed views on them. For me personally, what makes pokemon great has always been that simple design. That has not been true in some of the recent mons especially among legendaries....
Things evolve over time, the series itself included. And Pokemon designs are still far simpler than basically every other captured-monster series (Digimon included) out there. Even G2 saw new, more ornate evolutions of previous Gens like Steelix, Scizor and Blissey (the last of which is basically Chansey with extra frills anyway), and the legendary beasts of Johto easily beat out Kanto's legendary birds in complexity. Oh, and designs continue to go both directions in each generation -- e.g. Magmar is relatively complex for a G1 design, while something like Pyroar is fairly simple for a G6, and Vivillon is somewhere between Butterfree and Beautifly in complexity. (speaking of Butterfree, Venemoth's design is certainly more complex than Butterfree's. It also happens to be far more complex than Venonat's, but that's another story.)

Last edited:

I'm not sure that this has been done before, but I'm curious to know what everyone on BG thinks about Mevo so I'll ask this question: What are your general thoughts on Mevo? Good/Bad?

Now that it's been quite some time after the first Mevos got released, have your opinions about them changed?

I for one still have mixed views on them. For me personally, what makes pokemon great has always been that simple design. That has not been true in some of the recent mons especially among legendaries, but if you look at first and second gen mons they have this very simple, almost nonchalant yet slick design that is so effective in its own right. So when the first Mevo came out I was like ehhh... it just felt like something was wrong. But on the other side as someone who enjoys competitive battling I appreciate the fact that some of the old mons have been revamped with megas and got their chances to shine. So what are your opinions?

I agree, it still feels like a rip off of Digimon and this whole Primal Evolution thing sounds the same, we already had 2 merging like in Digimon, DNA Digivolution etc.

Also I just feel it makes it all very unbalanced, an ordinary Pokemon like Charizard, no matter how much inner energy it unleashes shouldn't be able to be stronger than something Legendary.

Equally Mewtwo a human made Pokemon shouldn't have ancient stones based around it, and equally shouldn't be able to become more powerful than God.

I'd personally like to see Vaporeon and Umbreon get Megas. Those two Pokemon in particular I can just imagine what they would look like as Megas. Though if they do two, they should do all of the Eeveelutions at some point.

Equally Mewtwo a human made Pokemon shouldn't have ancient stones based around it,
They aren't necessarily ancient. They might be an exception, especially considering that they aren't found in a random place but rather next to Mewtwo. The problem is that Game Freak didn't bother to explain anything about Mewtwo, let alone those stones.

and equally shouldn't be able to become more powerful than God.
You don't have a problem with "God" existing in the first place? It's not as if Game Freak incorporated Arceus' alleged powers into the Pokémon world in a believable way to begin with, and they could just give it a Primal Reversion or some other (gimmicky) variant if they wanted to reinforce its superiority. I don't see how that would solve the real problems, though.

I like Garchomp's design the most. Reminds me way too much of an Eva Unit. Followed by Blaziken and Lucario which could pass as superheroes.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom