• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Mega Evolutions in Pokémon Sword and Shield?

thomaswiencek

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
I know that Pokémon Sword and Shield introduces Dynamaxed forms of Pokémon and Max Raid Battles and Max Moves are mainly focused gameplay mechanics introduced in Pokémon Sword and Shield. But sadly, it is unclear whether or not Mega Evolutions of Pokémon are confirmed for these games or are replaced by these mechanics. But we'll see. Do you think that they'll return? Please let me know, okay? Good, so here we go.;)

I have a feeling that the Megas are going to be the Gigantamaxed forms mentioned in the leak.

Perhaps it'll be shoved just like it was in SM, without nothing new and just to keep the option there for those that like it.
As far as wanting it to be included in any way, no please.

Game Freak threw Mega Evolutions away after LGPE, so this is unlikely. But I am not a fan of Mega Evolutions so, doesn't matter if they completely removed the Mega Evolutions. It makes more Pokémon even more irrelevant.

I have a feeling that the Megas are going to be the Gigantamaxed forms mentioned in the leak.

new form of megaevolution activated by dynamax(gigantamax) that after 3 turn it will be smaller but the form change will stay till the rest of the battle. at least I hope so.

I think that the pokemon that will be in the games and that have megas will get their stones in game.
Z-moves probably will apper later or they plan something big for the future.

Last edited:

the trailers didnt showed them but they will be maybe in next games for sure, they need to be, we need to see whats the difference in power between Dynamax, Megas and Z-moves at some point.
Also it's not a coincidence that water gym leader looks like from Alola.
The league Champion Leon having a Charizard has more to say about it all.
Maybe he will use Mega Charizard in future?

I think that they have planed for this and next generations.

Maybe they do it in games bc they want to say in the anime that Ash has a new start in a new region and focus on that more and then later next games and on some point reintroduce megas and Z-moves after new pokemon and new mechanics got used more.

Last edited:
Didn't they specifically say that Dynamax is gonna replace both mega evolution and z-moves at the E3 thingy? Which I interpreted as they're not gonna be in the game at all.

Since GF is already going to cut off a handful of Pokemon from the National Dex, it wouldn't surprise me that they would leave Mega Evos behind. In fact I'd rather have that if it meant keeping more Pokemon in the Dex.

Even though it wouldn't be possible, it would be hilarious to see a Mega Evo Pokemon, using a Z-move while in Dynamax.

Thread theme:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFjqEexH0Tg

All these designs will be lost in time, like tears in the rain. Time to die.

I honestly thought GF was going to keep them. We had Brock and Misty use them in the anime and LGPE made a big deal about including them. But I guess all that was just Mega Evolution's swan song... Until we get Ultra Cobalt Sword and Ultra Crimson Shield, where they might include them and milk it for advertising.

Gigantamax forms are definitely not going to revolve around Mega Evolutions; Meowth has such a form.

They're just taking out Mega Evolution and Z-moves now so they'll feel "new" and marketable in the future.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people were confused by the word “replace”. Like technically Z-moves replaced Megas last gen but Megas were still available in the postgame; the Famitsu interview apparently makes it clearer that they’re cut.

This is coming from the perspective of someone who loves Mega Evolution; I used it a ton in Gens 6 and 7, I’ve EV trained multiple Charizards on Poke Pelago to take advantage of both forms even though I have currently only worked with X. But for some reason it just seemed very awkward having it and Dynamaxing in the same game even though they’re very similar.

The reason I was so pumped about the Armour Evolution rumor was mainly because I could see it as “Megas by another name” just like Primal Reversion or even Ultra Burst. Classic Pokémon would get edgy new forms and I was really excited to see what they could come up with. I watched some videos with great ideas and posted my own here on this very forum. It was especially exciting to think about Galar’s proximity to Kalos and the possibility of Armour evolution being a counter to Megas. Maybe even throw in a mature story with references to the Kalos war. Since Z-moves and Megas didn't clash in Alola, I saw all 3 complementing each other well and living together in harmony.

Then everything changed when the Giant Pokemon attacked. Something about the size difference to me immediately made it clash with the previous two gimmicks rather than complement them. In my head, it felt like the different "flavors" would not blend well together into a good finished product, feeling more like a copy-paste hodgepodge. So if this is the road they want to go down, I'm actually okay with them streamlining the process and hopefully putting more time into making Dynamaxing amazing.

That being said, I don't think Mega's influence is going to be completely abandoned. With this soft-reboot of sorts I can't think of a better time to retcon regular Charizard into the Fire/Dragon everybody wanted it to be.

Last edited:
We don’t know that. For all we know, Giga Forms will be the way to give “Mega” to non-evolved Pokémon as well, maybe by giving them their own abilities as well.

Say that Giga Pikachu has… dunno, Volt Absorb and can use Light Ball. Giga Raichu could have Motor Drive and use Life Orb or something.

Both Z moves and Mega Evolutions have been totally removed from the games according to translations I've seen of interviews with smaller game outlets in Japan.

I still think that Mega Evolutions will be repurposed as Gigantomax, using the designs of the Megas to create the new “Gigas”.

It would be interesting if now the “Gigas” became all Mega Rayquaza and could hold items. Choice Band Giga Mawile new meta?
I think that's grasping at straws when they say that the feature is simply gone. Not reworked so that they are now gigantic and include unevolved Pokemon.

I'm so sad Megas are gone. Mega Altaria, Sableye, Mawile, Ampharos, Sceptile, Absol.... all will be very missed.

Don't worry. They are in a better place now.

In our precious, most dear memories, getting all the love and glory they deserve.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom