• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Mega Evolutions in Pokémon Sword and Shield?

Not too fussed about Z-moves not making it in because I haven't used them all that much to begin with, but I gotta admit that I'm pretty disheartened to hear that Megas won't make it in because there are quite a few Pokemon who are viable only with a Mega.

I guess they're back to their old, pre-mega evolution self, I guess. Pokemon like Mawile and Ampharos better enjoy their limited time having Megas while they can, I suppose.

The worst part of having no Megas? Poor Beedrill goes back to being an all-around bad early Bug-type. Hopefully Game Freak at least upgrades it’s stats to make up for it.

The worst part of having no Megas? Poor Beedrill goes back to being an all-around bad early Bug-type. Hopefully Game Freak at least upgrades it’s stats to make up for it.
There’s no sad status to add onto people’s posts like there is on Facebook :( I’m right there with you, Mega Beedrill was one of my favorites for that reason. Plus it looked so cool.

Apparently, Mega Evolution won't be returning to Pokémon Sword and Shield; the same goes for Z - Moves. It doesn't seem like Game Freak is interested in continuing to feature it, although it's unclear if it will be returning in future Pokémon titles. I guess it was just a Gen 6 exclusive gimmick after all.
I suppose it has a chance of coming back in a Sinnoh remake...that’s my hope anyway.

I'd honestly much rather have this back than having to deal with the Dynamax thing...at least mega evolutions gave certain Pokémon a chance to stand out and become unique. It also didn't get boring to me. I feel like the novelty of having a giant Pokémon will die down really fast...

Gen 4 is coming... Remember that and gen 2 starters will also need love. Maybe they even will create Z-stones that will be also mega stones in one. This would be perfect for gen 2 starters.

Personally, I am not a fan of Mega Evolutions, but I personally want to see Eeveelutions getting Mega forms instead of getting new Eeveelutions. We already have 8 Eeveelutions and it's enough. I prefer Game Freak to give Eeveelutions powered-up forms similar to Mega Eeveelutions. Or something so they aren't unviable in meta.

Game Freak has lost motivation in Mega Evolutions so they deleted it from Sword/Shield (which may initiate another reboot), but Eeveelutions deserve Mega Evolutions.

I really like some of the Megas and they are like their own pokemon. To have Megas missing is like having some pokemon missing to me. But since the Dex thing I guess it doesn't matter if Megas are in the games now or not. I do understand their concern about game balancing though so it does make sense to have dynamax without the megas in a game. It was awkward having the z-moves with megas in alola in my opinion. (and i dont like z-moves)
I just hope megas aren't gone for good.
I wouldn't think they would be. I do see the problem with megas too. like having to design them to where its like its own pokemon. it being super powerful with out turn limits. (though it is one pokemon per battle). Only some pokemon having a mega form (or more than one for one pokemon). ect.

Overall I wouldn't be bothered too much about losing Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves because Dynamax does fill those roles to some degree, but the main thing that gets me is that some of the Megas have new types or abilities. What if I want a Dragon type Charizard? Or a Fairy type Altaria? Or a Mawile with Huge Power? As far as we know, all that is thrown out the window. In that respect, this would be a downgrade.

I'm truly furious and brokenhearted that mega evolutions won't be returning. They are pokemon in their own right, with their own designs and mechanics that set them apart from regular pokemon. Many pokemon counted on them in order to be good, too. Mawile and beedrill being possibly the best examples. I seriously hate dynamax so much for replacing them. It's even more sad considering how many fans seem to only care about the limited pokemon availability, as if they don't care about this great feature generation VI introduced. I dearly hope megas aren't gone for good.

Eveelutions don't need megas... They will already be powerfull with Z-moves and Dynamax. Actually they should really add more. Seriously I have a good feeling that gen 4 remakes and Sword and Shield seauel will bring a lot of fun mixing it all up together.

This game will be a short pause to show and focus on new mechanic and new pokemon before next ones bring a lot of competitive play.

I also think that ME is just taking a break (Or I'm hoping it is), because they spent so much time and resources in new designs of old favorites, stats, abilities and lore. They would let all of that go to waste. It makes sense for now, as DM is taking the spotlight. It'll return in Gen 9 or somewhere else.

I also think that ME is just taking a break (Or I'm hoping it is), because they spent so much time and resources in new designs of old favorites, stats, abilities and lore. They would let all of that go to waste. It makes sense for now, as DM is taking the spotlight. It'll return in Gen 9 or somewhere else.
Nah. Just like Pokemon Contests didn't return until RSE remakes, we'll likely never see the Megas again until XY is remade.

People doubted me when I said that Mega Pokemon were just another generational gimmick and would eventually be cut.

To be fair, I expected them to be cut from Gen 7. But their relevance was downsized and there were no new forms introduced, which a lot of people were expecting at the time. I actually have to agree with Zeta here that it's unlikely that Mega Pokemon will be returning. Just like every other gimmick that GF introduced and dropped.

They will already be powerfull with Z-moves and Dynamax.
Z-Moves are gone, too. Also, considering you couldn't use Megas and Z-Moves on the same Pokemon, I doubt you'd be able to use Z-Moves and Dynamax-even if Dynamaxing didn't change a Pokemon's moves, and if Z-Moves were still in.

Hmm!! Theoretically, what may happen is that Megas and Z-moves will be viable in HOME if there is a battling option.

The idea of HOME, as has been told so far, is that it is a hub game where all Pokemon can exist together. Megas being part of Let's Go which is, to some extent, under a broader Gen 8 umbrella, is a good sign that they may definitely want to keep them an active part of Pokemon!

People doubted me when I said that Mega Pokemon were just another generational gimmick and would eventually be cut.

To be fair, I expected them to be cut from Gen 7. But their relevance was downsized and there were no new forms introduced, which a lot of people were expecting at the time. I actually have to agree with Zeta here that it's unlikely that Mega Pokemon will be returning. Just like every other gimmick that GF introduced and dropped.
And Game Freak needs to stop doing that. They need to pick a mechanic and stick with it. Not every region needs to be tied to some new gimmick in order to be unique: give us side features that fill that role instead!

Z-Moves are gone, too. Also, considering you couldn't use Megas and Z-Moves on the same Pokemon, I doubt you'd be able to use Z-Moves and Dynamax-even if Dynamaxing didn't change a Pokemon's moves, and if Z-Moves were still in.
wait for sequels I think they will make it work. not that mechanics used by one pokemon but rather that they will like megas and z-moves last gen.

And Game Freak needs to stop doing that. They need to pick a mechanic and stick with it. Not every region needs to be tied to some new gimmick in order to be unique: give us side features that fill that role instead!

Hope next gen they focus only on new pokemon , new moves and abilities.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom