• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mega Evolutions in the anime

Apparently only one Mega Evolution pokemon is allowed on battle. If that's the case, then I don't think we'll be seeing a trainer with a whole team of Mega pokemon. And since it's solely an in-battle thing, we probably are not going to see pokemon in their Mega forms for the majority of the time. With all that said, I can imagine that any potential use of Mega pokemon might be reserved for special battles such as a battle in the league, possible important Ash and co. vs. Team Flare battles, or maybe Korrina has since she apparently has some sort of connection to them. We may or may not have a debut type of episode for them. While the whole concept is pretty big, the actual execution may not be as major as I initially thought it would be after all, especially when there's other new game mechanics that may be shown off in the anime as well. With that said though, I am still curious to see the characters and pokemon involved when the time comes to showcase Mega Evolutions. For me, I'd like see one of Ash's pokemon (either current or old), if possible, to showcase a Mega Evolution.

I'm guessing that Ash will sadly be defeated by a MegaAmpharos or MegaMawile in the conference. The writers would do that just to make him lose.

Harrison needs to make a comeback as the original blaziken user. His blaziken is cooler than mays ever was.

I hope that May and her Blaziken returns. But Blaziken will become Mega Blaziken. I would not mind if Cameron returned too to show Mega Lucario. Maybe a battle between Mega Lucario and Mega Blaziken. That would be awesome.

Geez Game Designers, you couldn't think of another name rather than mega huh? So basic.
But seriously why did it have to be those pokemon? I like Mawile's mega evolution and Absol's but I really didn't want to see anything Blaziken related. It's already an overrated pokemon.

I'm guessing that Ash will sadly be defeated by a MegaAmpharos or MegaMawile in the conference. The writers would do that just to make him lose.

I could see Ash losing to a Mega Pokemon too. It sounds possible at least.

Mr. Palpitoad said:
I hope that May and her Blaziken returns. But Blaziken will become Mega Blaziken. I would not mind if Cameron returned too to show Mega Lucario. Maybe a battle between Mega Lucario and Mega Blaziken. That would be awesome.

I could see May returning with her Blaziken, but I don't think that she'd show up before R/S remakes are announced though. While I really don't want to see Cameron again, I would like to see a battle between Mega Lucario and Mega Blaziken. That would be pretty awesome.

I would like to see May back with mega Blaziken and I would rather see Maylene come back to showcase mega Lucario and maybe Steven can come back if there's any Pokèmon he has get mega evolutions.

Brock will somehow run into Samantha, whose Mawile in its mega form will fall in love with Ludicolo, but still not like it in its normal form. Ash'll run into the two and they'll become the Kalos companions. We'll actually get some humor in the series with Mawile constantly alternating between loving and hating Ludicolo, leading Ludicolo to sink into a deep depression, only to be cured by Brock's constant use of the Pokemon Amie feature. With their newfound companionship, Brock and Ludicolo will take up soccer just to fit in some Super Training references.

Kills like 8 birds with one stone, that one stone being Mawile's Mega Stone.

I thought you were going to suggest MegaLudicolo at first. I cannot even imagine what that would ever look like!

The currently revealed Mega Pokemon are all none of Ash's handheld nor reserved Pokemon, but were all his rivals' or friends' Pokemon. May be when the XY game come out and when more Mega Pokemon were introduced, we might find out there is actually at least one or few of his Pokemon may Mega Evolve. But from the current observation, I don't think a Mega Evolvable Pokemon will fall onto his team. This oppositely makes me worry, will Ash then be beaten more miserably and more often than in BW? Because many other trainers have a Pokemon that can be power-up to a stronger level, but just not Ash's. This makes him look even "weaker" than the others.

I don't hope the anime bring out Mega Pokemon too often and unnecessary just for the sake to introduce the Pokemon for marketing, but don't consider the necessity within battle strategy. Think about it, what's the point of triggering the Mega Evolution when battling against a wild Pidgey or Caterpie? What's the point of triggering the Mega Evolution when battling against a Lv.5 newbie trainer like those that Ash probably going to meet within the first 10 episodes of any generations? What's the point of triggering the Mega Evolution when the trainer is in the side of winning and 100% confident to beat the opponent even his/her Pokemon don't Mega Evolved?

I just hope the anime don't screw up the Mega Evolution. It is something much more awesome than Form Change, it is like a trump card or last resort that can certainly leads to victory, where such thing should not be overused, or else it will lose its meaning of existence.

I just hope the anime don't screw up the Mega Evolution. It is something much more awesome than Form Change, it is like a trump card or last resort that can certainly leads to victory, where such thing should not be overused, or else it will lose its meaning of existence.
What makes you feel writers will overuse those? I definitely don't believe they will appear early on in XY unless we're introduced to a trainer who abuses the power of mega evolution for a mere display of power.

What concerns me more is, are they keeping the limitations of one mega evolution per battle? Will that become an official rule for Pokémon battles? Also, you have to consider the possibility that there are trainers who will catch some Pokémon (like Mawile) merely to mega evolve them in battle knowing their mega forms are much more powerful than their regular forms.

Also, not sure if this is exactly true, but as I've seen from later trailers, Mewtwo battles Genesect regularly at many points (there are various scenes with regular Mewtwo) but only mega evolves when it comes to catching up or chasing Red Genesect as the latter is so super fast. (I only saw it in Mega Form when saving Ash and co. in super speed or when chasing Genesect through the city). So if writers are able to keep it the same way in XY anime, only using mega evos when necessary, then it might just be handled right.

What makes you feel writers will overuse those? I definitely don't believe they will appear early on in XY unless we're introduced to a trainer who abuses the power of mega evolution for a mere display of power.

The anime already screwed up in the usage of Legendary Pokemon. No guarantee that they will do the same to Mega Pokemon as well.

Edit: Although I don't expected Mega Pokemon come out too soon like at the first 30 episodes of XY anime, but I also don't hope Mega Pokemon come out too often in the later stage, and don't hope the anime make an random ordinary trainer's Pokemon to Mega Evolve. It just cheapen the Mega Pokemon.

Last edited:
Well I know for sure exactly what will happen if Mega Pikachu/Raichu gets made. If it's the former then Pikachu will consider it below him to use and Ash will follow along, if it's Mega Raichu then there will be a cheap as all hell DEM battle where Mega Raichu gets emasculated so Pikachu can stay as normal Pikachu.

Well, the only real issue that keeps Pikachu from evolving is that it would change the mascot of the franchise since evolution is permanent. An hypothetical MegaPikachu would bypass the problem since it would be reversible depriving the writers of any excuse to refuse it.
It could even receive the Light Ball treatment, a resource only acessible to trainers who decided to not evolve Pikachu. With good writing it could even cement Pikachu's resolve beyond just "I'm a stubborn proud Pokémon!"

I highly doubt that Ash is going to have any Pokemon that will have a Mega evolution, since we know his team usually consists mainly of cute and adorable Pokemon that are made to sell plush dolls.

Even if he did, it won't appear until later in the XY series, probably the league or so, which Ash will lose as we all know.

Well I know for sure exactly what will happen if Mega Pikachu/Raichu gets made. If it's the former then Pikachu will consider it below him to use and Ash will follow along, if it's Mega Raichu then there will be a cheap as all hell DEM battle where Mega Raichu gets emasculated so Pikachu can stay as normal Pikachu.

Exactly what I mean, Ash and his Pokemon will consider Mega evolutions to be below them so he won't use them at all, and since Pikachu can NEVER evolve because he's the mascot of the franchise after all, you know Ash isn't going to have any Mega evolving Pokemon on his team, and if he did, it won't do so until possibly the league as I mentioned, or just not bother at all cause his team is the Pokemon they're going to market to death will ignoring every non-legendary Pokemon that isn't owned by the main characters but will still be used by players of the games regardless.

Last edited:
It's good that the Mega Evolutions seem to only be from final stage or single stage Pokemon - otherwise they'd be a perfect excuse for Ash to leave his Pokemon unevolved and cute, but then chuck a mega stone at them when he needs to win for plot reasons.

Congratulations sir, you managed to managed to my blood curdl with a third of a sentence.

I'm kinda torn on the idea of Pikachu getting a Megaloution. While I like it in that it might help it take on foes it'd normally have trouble with, it might lead to Pikachu hogging up screentime, which is the last thing we need.

Also, if anybody comes back to show off a Megaloution, it should be Riley! :)

Last edited:
I definitely want there to be a Mega Pikachu. The guy needs to bring something new to the table and it could be used as a physical distinction between early series Pikachu and Godchu. Heck, make it Electric/Fairy and then they can go dragon slaying during Godchu moments.

It would also be interesting if there was a Fire/Dragon Mega Charizard that's designed to appeal to the kids in the same way Charizard was marketed as being the badass one back in OS.

Either way, it's a way for Ash's Pokémon to get extra development and power without having to permanently evolve anyone. I would be all for it.

I'm kinda torn on the idea of Pikachu getting a Megaloution. While I like it in that it might help it take on foes it'd normally have trouble with, it might lead to Pikachu hogging up screentime, which is the last thing we need.
Based on the other ones, the anime has already shown us Pikachu's Mega Evolution...
obzPEW5.jpg

Based on the other ones, the anime has already shown us Pikachu's Mega Evolution...
obzPEW5.jpg

And we've already seen what Pikachu's Megaloution can do

This just hit me: I think Pikachu might have multiple Megaloutions

Last edited:
Well, from that list of possible Mega Evolutions based on Pokemon that were trademarked here (and this is probably a sampling of them):

All About Pokemon Figure (AAPF): Registered Trademark and Mega Pokemon

We just have Mega Charizard and Mega Heracross for Ash,

I could honestly see them perhaps revealing Mega Charizard next CoroCoro, and having it appear in BW at the end in some form to be the "lead-in" to XY.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom