• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mega Metagross officially announced: Ability confirmed to be Tough Claws

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Mega Metagross officially announced: Ability confirmed to be Tough Claws

The official Pokémon site has updated and a new trailer has been released. This reveals additional information about Mega Metagross and Mega Diancie, as well as providing clear artwork.

Read more on Bulbanews

I think M. Metagross is going to be an amazing tank in the metagame.

Huh, i just realized, every single one of those Pikachu costumes, even the more masculine ones, are all being worn by female Pikachu.

I hated Metagross to begin with, now I'm gonna hate it even more... At least Ghost and Dark moves can give it some grief now, and its stats can now be lowered by other moves (as it'll no longer have Clear Body), but still. Especially since they now say it'll be more "balanced" than before. Headache central, here I come.

On the plus side, I like the redesigns for the Gym Leaders, especially Flannery (that should be a big, fat duh). I wonder what Winnona will look like, as she's my favorite female Gym Leader in Hoenn. And is it just me, or are most of the redesigned NPCs wearing sandals? I know Hoenn is on the tropical side, but aside from obvious ones like Prof. Birch, why are most of them wearing sandals? It's not a problem to me, it just strikes me as a bit odd.

Anyway, a good update.

...please tell me Steven isn't the Champion again, because I won't be able to beat the game...unless I bring a legendary along to kill Mega Metagross, then use my normal 'mons on the rest of his team.

...please tell me Steven isn't the Champion again, because I won't be able to beat the game...unless I bring a legendary along to kill Mega Metagross, then use my normal 'mons on the rest of his team.

We're probably going to have to get Omega Ruby for Groudon to beat the game XD

We're probably going to have to get Omega Ruby for Groudon to beat the game XD

Alternatively, as I'm getting Alpha Sapphire (as I owned Sapphire on GBA years ago), I'll just trade over my shiny Dialga from GameStop for the Elite Four. Then trade back after I beat Steven.

Eh, i always just used whatever fire-type i had on my team. Playthroughs where i picked torchick as my starter definitely helped. Personally, i never really had too much trouble with him. I'm just glad Wallace isn't still the champion, cuz he was way too f-ing easy. Just one good electric or grass-type would easily sweep his entire team.

It got weak to Dark and Ghost this gen because of the Steel nerf, so just get a Dark or Ghost and it goes down easily.

I like my final bosses hard, thank you.

Apart from Kyogre and Groudon, the only Legendaries you can catch during the main story are the horribly underwhelming Regis, unless they make a Lati available earlier. You'd have a better chance sticking with Mega Evolutions--they have stats comparable to Legendaries and tend to have better stat distribution to boot.

...Maybe I'll hold off Mega Evolving against Steven.

It got weak to Dark and Ghost this gen because of the Steel nerf, so just get a Dark or Ghost and it goes down easily.

That I still think is one of the most unnecessary nerfs, but eh, whatever. At least Steven would be way better than what Diantha had to offer battle-wise.

That I still think is one of the most unnecessary nerfs, but eh, whatever. At least Steven would be way better than what Diantha had to offer battle-wise.
I found them both easy and Steven "difficulty" is overrated, Diantha was only "easy" to some becasue the Exp.Share overleveled their mons, everything is easy when you are overleveled. Wallace on the other hand, has to be the biggest joke of a Champion ever.

Last edited:

I found them both easy and Steven "difficulty" is overrated, Diantha was only "easy" to some becasue the Exp.Share overleveled their mons, everything is easy when you are overleveled. Wallace on the other hand, has to be the biggest joke of a Champion ever.

Uh, why is everyone assuming I used Exp. Share to overlevel my team when I say Diantha was easy? Diantha was still easy even though I didn't use the Exp. Share at all and despite my team being underleveled as hell her Mega Gardevoir was a big disappointment.

Steven's difficulty isn't really overrated, imo.

Uh, why is everyone assuming I used Exp. Share to overlevel my team when I say Diantha was easy? Diantha was still easy even though I didn't use the Exp. Share at all and despite my team being underleveled as hell her Mega Gardevoir was a big disappointment.

Yes, it is, in my latest Sapphire playthrough i completely swept him with a team of 4 pokemon and they were in their early 50's, my Swampert 2HKO Metagross. So yes, Steven's "difficulty" is overrated, i would also say R/S/E difficulty is overrated, the older games seem to be more "difficult" because a bunch of types had terrible moves (like Fly being the best Flying type move) and also because there were was less pokemon to choose from (this problem is probably going to be in OR/AS if the Dex is not expanded).

Most of peple who say the older games are harder are the people who haven't played the older games in years, sure there also those who played the older games recently and find it harder than the new ones but it's not a fact that the new games are easier and the old ones are harder, like some people are trying to claim here. Wanna bet even if OR/AS doesn't have the Exp. Share, the Gym Leaders/E 4 teams are the same as the originals that there is going to be someone bitching and moaning that the OR/AS are easy?

Yes, it is, in my latest Sapphire playthrough i completely swept him with a team of 4 pokemon and they were in their early 50's, my Swampert 2HKO Metagross. So yes, Steven's "difficulty" is overrated, i would also say R/S/E difficulty is overrated, the older games seem to be more "difficult" because a bunch of types had terrible moves (like Fly being the best Flying type move) and also because there were was less pokemon to choose from (this problem is probably going to be in OR/AS if the Dex is not expanded).

Most of peple who say the older games are harder are the people who haven't played the older games in years, sure there also those who played the older games recently and find it harder than the new ones but it's not a fact that the new games are easier and the old ones are harder, like some people are trying to claim here. Wanna bet even if OR/AS doesn't have the Exp. Share, the Gym Leaders/E 4 teams are the same as the originals that there is going to be someone bitching and moaning that the OR/AS are easy?

There's always going to be at least one person complaining the games are 'too easy' despite whatever the game has or doesn't has. If you want Steven to be easy, then believe so. When people say it's going to take years to get through the Hoenn League because of Steven, they do not mean it literally. It's just an expression that he looks tougher than before and since Diantha gave a lot of people disappointment because of how easy she was in XY - with or without the exp.share - people are simply hoping for a better challenge whether they played the old RSE or not. And yes, I also swept through Steven with a single, over-leveled Blaziken once during my playthrough years ago, but I still like his team and I believe he was one of the best champions/final boss character. Maybe he's not as powerful as Red in HGSS. Maybe he's not really much of a challenge like Cynthia was in Platinum. So? He's had a good team in RSE and relatively good moves that were available around that time. It's unfair to compare his difficulty back then with the recent installments. Game Freak has been giving Steven the most attention out of all the other characters, and whether it was for him or not, Mega Metagross joins his team. It looks tough, so maybe Steven can be difficult in ORAS regardless of whatever items Game Freak provides us. And it really helped improve his image in a way. It's just hopeful, wishful thinking that he'd give us trouble with his Gen6 team. Whether he actually is a challenge or not, we'll have to find out when November rolls around.

There's always going to be at least one person complaining the games are 'too easy' despite whatever the game has or doesn't has. If you want Steven to be easy, then believe so. When people say it's going to take years to get through the Hoenn League because of Steven, they do not mean it literally. It's just an expression that he looks tougher than before and since Diantha gave a lot of people disappointment because of how easy she was in XY - with or without the exp.share - people are simply hoping for a better challenge whether they played the old RSE or not. And yes, I also swept through Steven with a single, over-leveled Blaziken once during my playthrough years ago, but I still like his team and I believe he was one of the best champions/final boss character. Maybe he's not as powerful as Red in HGSS. Maybe he's not really much of a challenge like Cynthia was in Platinum. So? He's had a good team in RSE and relatively good moves that were available around that time. It's unfair to compare his difficulty back then with the recent installments. Game Freak has been giving Steven the most attention out of all the other characters, and whether it was for him or not, Mega Metagross joins his team. It looks tough, so maybe Steven can be difficult in ORAS regardless of whatever items Game Freak provides us. And it really helped improve his image in a way. It's just hopeful, wishful thinking that he'd give us trouble with his Gen6 team. Whether he actually is a challenge or not, we'll have to find out when November rolls around.
After playing a lot of Battle Maison and online, everything in the main game is a joke in terms of difficulty. Steven's team is terrible and the only pokemon that remotely caused some trouble was Metagross and it was nerfed heavily this gen, since its Mega is Steel/Psychic it's not going to make any difference, so i'm pretty sure Steven is going to be easy as usual.

@Norzan; well, fine then. But still, you never know what the games are actually like until you get them, and November is still months away. Surely there's a lot to look forward to in ORAS in terms of challenge.

@Norzan; well, fine then. But still, you never know what the games are actually like until you get them, and November is still months away. Surely there's a lot to look forward to in ORAS in terms of challenge.
If the Champion, E4 (i know Phoebe is getting a Dusknoir) and Gym Leaders's teams are the same or extremely similar to the originals, i have pretty much an idea on how difficulty will be (in my case it's going to be extremely easy).

Battle Frontier (please be in the game) is where the REAL difficulty lies and i can wait to use my IV bred and EV train mons there.

Also unnecessary Steel nerf? Steel resisting Dark and Ghost didn't made any sense to begin with and with the added resistance to Fairy, it would mean Steel would resist 12 types and that's way too much, Steel is already kinda broken in the resistance side, another resistance would just make it worse.

Last edited:
Looks like I'm gonna have to send Riser over ASAP. Either that or I'll rely on my shiny Adamant No Guard Golurk I got via the Gen V GTS as I'm not taking Torchic as my starter. Metagross can be a pain in the skidplate at times but I think I'll be ready.

...and I'll just sit here quietly, waiting for a Gen V Pokemon to finally get a Mega and be silently disappointed when it doesn't...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom