• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Meganium vs Sceptile

Sceptile is my favorite of all the Grass-type starters so far, for its speed and offensive power. I especially like seeing it in the anime, where maneuverability is more crucial than in the games.

Grovlye is so cool in Mystery Dungeon, explorers of Sky

I love Meganium, she's adorable, she is ALWAYS my starter in Johto(well, Chikorita was my starter) but, I have trained a Meganium, It is pretty weak. It is usefeul since it has the convenience of healing, but Sceptile has a bigger movepool and is much higher in Defence and Attack. Sorry Leafy(my meganiums nickname)

<off topic>

can we pit blaziken against infernape soon?

</off topic>

My level 60 Sceptile took the E4 in Ruby. this was before I learned how to train a balanced team. We lost to Steven though. But would a Meganium of equal level and training have made it that far, probably not.

Sceptile has a bigger movepool and is much higher in Defence and Attack. Sorry Leafy(my meganiums nickname)

Actually, Meganium's defenses are her thing. She runs circles around Sceptile defensively. Meganium's 80/100/100>>>>>>>> Sceptile's 70/65/85

<off topic>

can we pit blaziken against infernape soon?

</off topic>

My level 60 Sceptile took the E4 in Ruby. this was before I learned how to train a balanced team. We lost to Steven though. But would a Meganium of equal level and training have made it that far, probably not.

<off topic> Eventually, I plan to. Or, y'know, you could do it <off topic>

Depends. Meganium can take many more hits than Sceptile, and in-game, her inferior offenses aren't as glaring. So, in theory she could outdo Sceptile

What amazes me most thinking back is how the hell did I get through Drake with a level 60 Sceptile and a bunch of level 30s.

Also, the attack difference isn't glaring, but the speed diffeence is.

<off topic> Eventually, I plan to. Or, y'know, you could do it <off topic>

cool.

Last edited:
The more I think about it, the more I realize that a major fault in Meganium lies within its lackluster movepool. With the fifth generation coming, it could end up getting some new attacks that might really help it in battles. I'm sure I don't need to remind you guys how many Pokemon benefited dramatically this generation, just from a change in movepool (Scizor?).

The more I think about it, the more I realize that a major fault in Meganium lies within its lackluster movepool. With the fifth generation coming, it could end up getting some new attacks that might really help it in battles. I'm sure I don't need to remind you guys how many Pokemon benefited dramatically this generation, just from a change in movepool (Scizor?).

True. It's stats and typing are actually pretty damn good. The problem is it's lackluster movepool. How much more awesome would it be if Meganium had access to moves like Spore, Stun Spore, Power Whip, Leaf Storm, Stone Edge, Earth Power and/or Nasty Plot

I hate to say this, but its a combination of things. A variety of factors.

You mention Scizor as an example. I'd like to point out that Scizor benefited greatly from his Ability in addition to his move pool. In fact, I'd say he wouldn't be as awesome if it wasn't for that ability. Things like Bullet Punch and U-Turn help greatly, but like I said its more of a combination effect.

Meganium, unfortunately, is stuck with Overgrow till whenever they decide that starters deserve to get something else. And of course Overgrow is a more offensive-oriented ability. It's not bad but doesn't work synergistically in her favor.

They've also tried new moves lots and lots of times. They don't skimp on getting unique and cool moves to older Pokemon, especially in HGSS. Trouble is, there's only so many moves she can have and only so many that can work with her typing/stat distribution (pure Grass can do very little by itself as a defensive Type). For example, Roleplay is a great move because it can swap her cruddy ability for another one, but that takes up a move slot, where as another Pokemon will have the perfect Ability, perfect typing, perfect moves, and perfect stats combined together. She gets Seed Bomb, but attacking isn't her forté. She gets Worry Seed, but that's highly situational. All these factors combine to make Meganium good, but not great, and not overused in the sense of how many other Pokemon, like Scizor, are used.

I hate to say this, but its a combination of things. A variety of factors.

Of course. But one of its major problems is still its movepool. Scizor's ability is great, but before Platinum's release when it didn't have access to Bullet Punch, it wasn't nearly as good as it is now.

Meganium sucks in pretty much every way, but the only way Meganium really could be improved now is by improving its movepool. Its base stats are impossible to change, and obviously, it won't gain a second ability.

Well, I guess what I'm saying is, the margin for improvements is very slim. It would have to be a specific set of moves that are just dominating in their own right.

Spore and Nasty Plot would probably be the big 2. What else besides a 100% sleep move and a 2-level stat booster could do it for her, right? And even still, she's got less power, less variety, less opportunity to capitalize on any secret weapon. Like Breloom, who can employ Spore to set up Focus Punch or Substitute/Focus Punch or Swords Dance and has the Fighting-type to give it some oomf and can neutralize all status attempt with Poison Heal+Toxic Orb.

Sceptile is my favorite grass starter by far. Pretty much any other grass starter is going to have to take a backseat to Sceptile in my opinion. Meganium is not a terrible Pokémon by any means, but Sceptile is stronger and it was my first starter so I'm a little biased.

Well, I guess what I'm saying is, the margin for improvements is very slim. It would have to be a specific set of moves that are just dominating in their own right.

Spore and Nasty Plot would probably be the big 2. What else besides a 100% sleep move and a 2-level stat booster could do it for her, right? And even still, she's got less power, less variety, less opportunity to capitalize on any secret weapon. Like Breloom, who can employ Spore to set up Focus Punch or Substitute/Focus Punch or Swords Dance and has the Fighting-type to give it some oomf and can neutralize all status attempt with Poison Heal+Toxic Orb.

True, Meganium wouldn't be great at doing anything; but at least it'd be able to do something, if it got attacks like Spore and Nasty Plot. I guess my only other hope is for the 5th Gen to bring forth some good new attacks. The Grass-type did get Leaf Storm, Wood Hammer, and Energy Ball this generation, after all.

Meg is classic. I ahe gen 3 so I'm baised and treeko happens to be one of my least favorite Pokémon....with meg being one of my favorite.

Anyway in battle I still think meg would win.
Poison powder then leech seed (breeding). Finally spam body slam and meg wins.

Meg is classic. I ahe gen 3 so I'm baised and treeko happens to be one of my least favorite Pokémon....with meg being one of my favorite.

Anyway in battle I still think meg would win.
Poison powder then leech seed (breeding). Finally spam body slam and meg wins.

Meg gets Toxic, which is so much better than Poisonpowder and Leech Seed doesn't affect other Grass types.

If it's purely based on looks, Meganium. It's tons of cute.

However, if it's based on offensive battling, Sceptile is the clear winner. Though Meganium would win again in the defensive/healer department.

Huh, as of this post, Meganium has exactly half the number of votes Sceptile has. That's one third the total number of votes. Pretty impressive, I must say. I genuinely thought she'd be losing by a lot more

They're both cool, But Meganium wins. My starter, Megan, has helped me in every important battle in SS. She owns fire types with her Earthquake.

Huh, as of this post, Meganium has exactly half the number of votes Sceptile has. That's one third the total number of votes. Pretty impressive, I must say. I genuinely thought she'd be losing by a lot more

You know something's wrong when a competitor gaining half as many votes as its opponent is considered a good thing. :p

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom