• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Meganium vs Sceptile

Sceptile. I've actually chosen grass types for every region... EXCEPT Johto. I'm sorry to its fans, but I also (like -Ryuutakeshi-) hate Meganium. I've loved Sceptile ever since I first played Ruby and that will never change. Sceptile wins by a LONG shot! :-D

MasterSceptile

I prefer Sceptile. I mean, I don't hate Meganium, it's actually quite cute and all, but Sceptile is just better overall.

I really love my Meganium! :crush:

He is a great sweeper & protecter & me and him practically destroyed the battle arcade.

In a battle Sceptile would spam attack while meganium has a wider variety (it can learn earthquake ^^ much better than dragon claw)

My Vote Goes To Meganium :crush:

Obviously Sceptile.

Looks: I have a thing for Reptiles, especially fast, biped ones like Charizard and Feraligatr.

Battle: Sceptile again. Meganium is a defensive/support styled creature, Energy ball is the only common offensive move it uses, and even then its just like Skarmorys brave bird or Hippowdon's earthquake. Sceptile is a 'mon built for actually killing things.

Most Useful: A draw, they both have great qualities for different Team slots. However, as an In-game team its Sceptile again who ranks best. Look at Johto's gyms; Bug, Flying, Dragon, Steel and Ice. A Grass type would help next to none. Ghost, Normal and Fighting are the Only ones that don't resist or Pummel Grass, and even then it's neutral. Then there's Hoenns gyms; Rock, Electric and Water all take beatings from Sceptile, Psychic and Normal are Neutral and only Fire and Flying give you trouble, so itsa much better Grass type enviroment.

Last edited:
So, which one of these Pokemon do you prefer?
Design-wise? I am warming to Sceptile but I can't say I like other members of it's evolutionary line. Meganuim is very basic, but adorable.

Concept-wise? Geckos. Duh.

Competitive-wise? Uhm, should I even answer this one?

In-game wise? Check Gym Leaders of Johto. Check the types they use. Now go check types Gym Leaders of Hoenn use. Did you check those? Awesome.

Which one fits my style more? I am more of a defensive trainer so... Meganium.
Which one would win in a battle?
Uhm... Duh. Even though Meganuim gets Poisonpowder and screens; Sceptile can abuse Swords Dance better.
Which one is the most useful overall?
Again, duh.

Overall opinion: I prefer Meganium, mostly for aesthetic purposes however. Let's face it, Scpetile is better. But I won't say Meganium is terrible. It just needs more strategy. And team support.

Competitively, Sceptile wins. Swords Dance + X-Scissor = bye bye Meganium.

I really love my Meganium! :crush:

He is a great sweeper & protecter & me and him practically destroyed the battle arcade.

In a battle Sceptile would spam attack while meganium has a wider variety (it can learn earthquake ^^ much better than dragon claw)

My Vote Goes To Meganium :crush:

Sceptile can learn Earthquake, too.. x_X

I go for Sceptile, he's just awesome in many ways :D

I like the design of Meganium more, but I prefer Sceptile due to it's battling ability.

I think Sceptile is a more reliable Pokemon than Meganium, whom I never actually shown interest to. I think Sceptile is designed to be competitively viable when competitive battling begins to become what it is today, because he is given great speed and some great moves to use (Leaf Blade and Dragon Pulse comes to mind).

Sceptile is a beast. Faster than most pokemon and just enough attack power on both sides to rip things to pieces. Swords dance also helps on the physical side.

In my opinion, Sceptile is faster and cooler, but what's wrong with Meganium? It's appearance has nothing to do with it's power. I've had good Meganiums before. I think a battle between the two would be pretty interesting.

I was wondering when this would eventually come up since we had a Venusaur-Torterra thread. Can we expect the same for the fire and water type starters?

My favourite is Sceptile. Unlike the other grass type starters and most other grass types, it is not slow at all. Most have great offence but low or average speed but Sceptile has both. Goes to the top of my Grass type Pokemon list just for that. And then it looks so cool too.

So, which one of these Pokemon do you prefer?

Meganium, by far. Sceptile is one of two Grass Starters I don't prefer above their two other choices, and is my least favorite of them all as well. On the other hand, Meganium is my second favorite Grass Starter as of now. I love her simple but adorable design, as well as her defensive nature. She's only below Torterra for being pure Grass while Torterra has one Type Combination I always wanted to see. She might or might not stand above Tsutaja's final Stage, but we'll see about that.

Which one would win in a battle?

Could go either way. Largely, Meganium can take almost anything Sceptile throws at her, and he's frail enough to take considerable damage from Meganium's average attacks. With Reflect up, Synthesis, and an appropriate Move, Meganium would have the upper hand. However, a preferred set in her would be less effective overall. Sceptile is versatile and hits hard, I won't deny. Meganium would need a specific Hidden Power or Moves she can't use too well to fight Sceptile and have a chance at winning.

Which one is the most useful overall?

I'd have to say Sceptile, unfortunately. Meganium is a great support Pokémon, but she's not the best even in this role, though she's better than a lot of them. Sceptile is the only non-bulky Grass Starter, with lots of Moves and Type coverage, and the Stats to back them up. His only true shortcoming is his largely better Physical Movepool which can't take much advantage of his best attacking Stat, but he can get around that with Swords Dance. A Special Sceptile isn't completely useless, either. That Speed comes in handy, as well.

I'll still vote Meganium out of preference. I just don't like Sceptile one bit.

I was wondering when this would eventually come up since we had a Venusaur-Torterra thread. Can we expect the same for the fire and water type starters?

My favourite is Sceptile. Unlike the other grass type starters and most other grass types, it is not slow at all. Most have great offence but low or average speed but Sceptile has both. Goes to the top of my Grass type Pokemon list just for that. And then it looks so cool too.

Possibly eventually. For now, let's concentrate on the Grass Starters. I'll make a thread about the Fire and Water ones once this and the Venu/Terra topic is exhausted.

Or, y'know, someone else can do it. Whichever happens first.

I'm thinking Charizard vs Typhlosion (same BST and distribution), Blaziken vs Infernape (same type), Blastoise vs Swampert (defensive Pokemon) and Feraligatr vs Empoleon (physically offensive vs specially offensive)

Last edited:
I'm thinking Charizard vs Typhlosion (same BST and distribution), Blaziken vs Infernape (same type), Blastoise vs Swampert (defensive Pokemon) and Feraligatr vs Empoleon (physically offensive vs specially offensive)

I was thinking something similar too. Though Swampert is a physical attacker too. I don't take part in competitive so I'm not sure what roles it can play. I know its used as a lead but thats it. The results for the Fire Types might be a little predictable though.

I was thinking something similar too. Though Swampert is a physical attacker too. I don't take part in competitive so I'm not sure what roles it can play. I know its used as a lead but thats it. The results for the Fire Types might be a little predictable though.

Swampert's primary competitive roles are as a lead and physical tank, meaning it takes mostly a defensive approach. Therefore, I compare it to Blastoise, another defensive Pokemon.

But this is off topic

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom