• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Megas Battle: Sceptile vs. Blaziken vs. Swampert

Stratelier

Reaction score
It had to be done.

CoroCoro reveals that Sceptile and Swampert are looking forward to Mega evolutions, making them the second full set of starter Pokemon to get Megas (after the Kanto starters, of course).

So which one looks like it'll be your favorite, either in design or battle or whatever?

Mega Sceptile
- Reportedly Grass/Dragon. This gives Sceptile a crippling weakness to Ice (not unusual among either Grass or Dragon types), but double resistances to Grass, Water, and Electric.
- Reported ability: Lightningrod. Okay, so its typing doesn't exactly need the added immunity to Electric, but the boost in Sp.Atk will be welcome just the same (plus the shielding an ally from Electric in multi battles).

Mega Blaziken
- Admittedly, we already know everything about Blaziken's Mega Evolution: It gets Speed Boost and is considered totally OP by Smogon battlers.

Mega Swampert
- Reported ability: Swift Swim. Swampert always was the slow and bulky one of the group.

(Disclaimer: I'd say more about Blaziken or Swampert, but I don't have much experience with them.)

Objectively, Mega Blaziken is still the best. Speed Boost + High Jump Kick + it's stats are just broken.

I'm still choosing Mega Sceptile tho, because it's my favorite of the three.

Both it and Swampert got cheated with their abilities. Lightningrod is useless (in singles anyway) on a Pokemon that already 4x resists Electric, and Sceptile has to switch in and Mega evolve before it can even trigger its benefits, at which point the opponent will know exactly what you're planning and just not use Electric moves. Swampert's Swift Swim would be good if Politoed was still relevant...and if it had the Speed stat to abuse it with.

Even though Swampert is my favorite and I will be going with him, to me Mega Sceptile looks the best.

Mega Swampert and Mega Sceptile look fantastic, yes, but Mega Blaziken is just amazing~ While the other two look like they'll shine in doubles, Mega Blaziken puts in work pretty well on its own and has a much better movepool, making it more favorable to me.

In terms of looks and appearance, they all look like badass monsters that can tear sh*t up~ I could be biased and say Blaziken looks the best, but honestly, they all have such good qualities that I have to make it a three way tie.

In part, I hope Mega Sceptile gets an stats boost to offset its awful ability, but then I remember GameFreak hates Grass types.

Seriously though, it gains a 4x weakness and esentially loses its ability. The Dragon-type benefits just aren't enough to offset this. (And that GF considers Dragons overpowered doesn't help)

I wouldn't diss Mega Swampert too quickly though. While it looks bulky, it could get the just right combination of strength and bulk to become a decently quick supertank, which has its merits.

That said... I am happy to finally have a Grass/Dragon. Although I hoped they'd actually design a pokémon entirely on the concept rather than just add dragon to something, but oh well.

Well Mega Blaziken is better as of now but when I get the new game Treecko will be my starter so I will be using his new Mega Evolution.

I prefer both Mega Sceptile and Mega Blaziken to Mega Swampert as I do their normal forms. Sceptile and Blaziken are just so much cooler looking to me. I guess gaining the dragon-type is cool for Sceptile, it doesn't really surprise me. Speed Boost is awesome for Blaziken whose already fast and Lightningrod seems like it would be very useful with a Discharging partner.

Now don't get me wrong. Mega Swampert is a big, badass, bulky, beast, and Swift Swim can give it the needed boost in speed. But I just like the other two more.

I don't think Mega Blaziken can beat Mega Swampert 1 on 1. It'll be the same as before... Swampert>Blaziken>Sceptile>Swampert.

I have to wonder how useful Mega Swampert would be with Swift Swim. I doubt his speed stat is going to increase, and if it does, it is probably going to be very marginal. I'd probably be sticking to regular Swampert and giving him a more useful item. I don't even like the design. Swampert deserves better.

Mega Blaziken, no contest. Speed Boost is really awesome. He looks cool, too.

Mega Sceptile, I have to admit that the typing is really bland. Dragons have become a real pain to use because they're easily countered. He now has a 4x weakness to Ice, which is so common in teams it is going to be difficult to utilize. Also, Lightning Rod? Seriously? Why? I mean, it's a good counter for Electric attacks, but why him? I don't get it. They could have given him a much better ability. If they want to be nonsensical, how about Storm Drain? Not enough Pokemon have that ability and water is all over the place. He's a plant and he could have absorbed water. I don't know. My imagination was never that great to begin with so maybe I'm missing something. Oh well, he looks really cool, I'll give him that!

I love Mega Sceptile's design, but I love Mega Blaziken's battle abilities. Swampert, unless there is more released about him (like his stats), I will be keeping as Swampert. I really don't have high hopes for his Mega form, but who knows? It's too soon to completely dismiss him. He could prove me wrong and have some sweet stats. :)

Also, Lightning Rod? Seriously? Why? I mean, it's a good counter for Electric attacks, but why him? I don't get it. They could have given him a much better ability. If they want to be nonsensical, how about Storm Drain? Not enough Pokemon have that ability and water is all over the place. He's a plant and he could have absorbed water. I don't know. My imagination was never that great to begin with so maybe I'm missing something. Oh well, he looks really cool, I'll give him that!

It's not that nonsensical. It seems most likely that the tail functions as the Lightning Rod, similar to the horns of other Pokemon, like Rhydon's family. Not saying it's the best ability ever they could have given him, but it has some sense to it.

Mega Swampert. He looks funny and strong at the same time while the others (which are great too) dont have the same level of fun in their design.

Not really a fan of any of the 3 - but I'm willing to give [Mega] Swampert a chance - design wise looks better than the other 2, hope it will be good in battle.

Mega Sceptile. Mega Blaziken is just overrated, and I'm not particularly fond of Mega Swampert's look as a Mega. .-.

1. Mega Swampert! I always imagined Swampert throwing around pokemon like a wrestler, but the only way for him to do that was Seismic Toss. But now he looks like he can do way more of what I always wanted him to!

2. Mega Sceptile! This is a really cool design. I had originally wanted it to return to a more Grovyle-like state, but now I'm actually glad they didn't. The only problem I have with it is the same problem I have with Sceptile: its stats don't match up with its appearance very well. Mega Sceptile looks like it should have base 55-60 speed, and yet its supposedly super fast.

3. Mega Blaziken is super ugly. Sorry, but it is. And it's ridiculously overpowered for an EXTREMELY OBVIOUS REASON. As D/P Blaziken, it was about big slow hits. Meaning big hits are its advantage and the speed was its drawback. Then they removed its only drawback to make Blaziken faster than the starter that actually focused on speed. So it was then faster AND more powerful than Sceptile. Wtf. Mega Blaziken bumps this up to another level of absurdity while somehow having an aged rooster face.

Sceptile, as Mega Swampert is ugly, and I dislike Blaziken in general.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom