• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Megumi Hayashibara's The Characters Taught Me Everything: Living Life One Episode at a Time

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
A Megumi Hayashibara autobiography was just released in both Japanese and English yesterday. Ten pages of it are devoted to Musashi from the Rocket trio.

cover.jpg

You can read through a preview of the book here.

Dogasu I’m nicking these links from your tweet, but here is where you can download the English version of the e-book:

Amazon
Book Walker
Rakuten Kobo

Amazon unfortunately doesn’t work in the UK (and I hear it’s the same in the US?). I’ve downloaded from Rakuten Kobo because they charged me in pound sterling rather than converting from yen, so I only paid £5.99 - an absolute steal!

I’ve only read the Musashi pages so far (pray for me to have a quiet night shift tonight so I can smash through the whole thing lol) but they have some very rich content about the TRio and behind the scenes.

I’ll write more during the week when I’m off work and had chance to properly read and digest it, but suffice to say that I’m even more in love with Megumi (and the others) than before, and I didn’t really believe that could be possible...

I found it in the Canadian Amazon website ($9.99) and honto (1980 yen).

The price for the Japanese version is pretty salty, but I decided to get it since I had some discount coupons (and I tend to prefer the version in which the book was originally written). I might buy the one from Amazon some other day since it's reasonably priced though.

It’s impossible to me to buy it for the moment.. TT_TT Please could you tell me what Megumi said about the character of Kojirou? Thank you very very much

I saw an excerpt from the book that someone had posted where Megumi talks about how connected she's become to Jessie as a character over time and how she only ever requested one change to Jessie's character during the anime's run because she didn't want Jessie to come across as rude or overly bossy. I thought that was a really cool story! It was awesome to read about how she felt she understood Jessie so well and when she believed the character was doing things that didn't fit how she herself perceived Jessie, she spoke up about it.

That short excerpt alone got me very excited to read the rest of the book! She's a really wonderful writer and seems like an even cooler person.

I saw an excerpt from the book that someone had posted where Megumi talks about how connected she's become to Jessie as a character over time and how she only ever requested one change to Jessie's character during the anime's run because she didn't want Jessie to come across as rude or overly bossy. I thought that was a really cool story! It was awesome to read about how she felt she understood Jessie so well and when she believed the character was doing things that didn't fit how she herself perceived Jessie, she spoke up about it.

That short excerpt alone got me very excited to read the rest of the book! She's a really wonderful writer and seems like an even cooler person.
I always love these sorts of stories! It really shows how much dedication the actor has to their performance and their character.

It’s impossible to me to buy it for the moment.. TT_TT Please could you tell me what Megumi said about the character of Kojirou? Thank you very very much
I’m at work atm but I will share this in the next couple of days when I’m off!

Any mention of Shudo?
Plenty. Not just Pokemon but other series like Minky Momo too. If no one else does, I’ll give you a rundown when I get a chance this week, but I suggest if you’re really interested you buy the book.

Hmm? That's Jessie in a nutshell.
...That is a gross oversimplification. Fair enough when talking about a CotD who has literally just one or two personality traits, but you’re talking about a main character of 24 years who has been in nearly a thousand episodes and is one of (if not) the most complex character on the show. Yeah she’s bossy and sometimes rude, but ‘in a nutshell’ she’s also so much more than that. Megumi, understanding this, asked for the producers NOT to reduce her character down to just these qualities.

Does the English version has a final page containing an artwork of Musashi's old and new design, along with some writings and a message from Tomiyasu Daiki written by hand? If it does they translated everything or left it as-is (since all messages are hand-written)?

I could post it here if necessary (I'd have to look it up how to, though).

Short answer:
4AA4F420-DB2B-499B-A3C9-6E41A268F674.png

Longer answer in case it is inadvisable/illegal to share that image is that yes that page is included and yes the comments are translated, although Me-Gumi obvs not as good in English :p

Short answer:

Longer answer in case it is inadvisable/illegal to share that image is that yes that page is included and yes the comments are translated, although Me-Gumi obvs not as good in English :p
Oh my God! What a beautiful picture ! ❤️Is there the same kind of image for Kojirou? I need so much this book but it’s impossible to download it in Belgium TT_TT

Last edited:
Oh my God! What a beautiful picture ! ❤Is there the same kind of image for Kojirou? I need so much this book but it’s impossible to download it in Belgium TT_TT
There're some pictures taken from the show where he shows up, but other than that no. All original artworks are only based on Hayashibara's characters only (in manga-based shows, they are all made by the mangaka themselves, which is interesting).

The book might become available physically in the future (the English version, I mean), since there're Japanese physical copies out there.

If it interests you, here goes an offer from honto: 林原めぐみのぜんぶキャラから教わった 今を生き抜く力

Last edited:
Jez said:
Is there the same kind of image for Kojirou?

Why would a similar type of image be included in a book about Megumi Hayashibara? She doesn't voice Kojirou.

Really shows the computer animation vs human drawing.

Both are drawn by human artists though...?

The only thing different now vs. 20-some years ago is the medium (pencil on paper vs. tablet and pen)

Why would a similar type of image be included in a book about Megumi Hayashibara? She doesn't voice Kojirou.

Both are drawn by human artists though...?

The only thing different now vs. 20-some years ago is the medium (pencil on paper vs. tablet and pen)

Considering Tablet is a computer, its computer animation, since its animated on a computer.

Going through the book I noticed only anime characters were included, otherwise I'd complain that she left out Saihara Shuuichi from Danganronpa V3.

I'd love to read her talking about him since I'm particularly a fan of this game series.

I really want to read this, I love behind the scenes stuff! And wow that picture is cool, though it's weird that her "old design" is a weird hybrid of the original + BW/XY designs.

Considering Tablet is a computer, its computer animation, since its animated on a computer.
Generally when people talk about computer animation, they refer to CG renders and such. I wouldn't consider a hand-drawn image, even if it was drawn on a tablet, an example of computer animation and I don't think there would be a noticeable difference between animation using cells that were drawn on paper and animation using cells that were drawn on a tablet.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom