• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Megumi Hayashibara's The Characters Taught Me Everything: Living Life One Episode at a Time

Did she mention her role in Osomatsu-kun?
She played Todomatsu, while Matsumoto Rica voiced Choromatsu.

:bulbaLove:

Did she mention her role in Osomatsu-kun?
Although Osomatsu-kun didn't get its own chapter, she does mention her role in it when she tells an anecdote in the Gundam chapter about You Inoue (who played Osomatsu) inspiring her to never hold her voice back.

It's interesting that she doesn't talk about Rica because she namedrops a literal fuckton of famous seiyuu/creators throughout the book, and aside from even the obvious, the two have worked on a number of the same anime. Based on how Megu, Miki and Inuko once talked about her in a radio show interview I kinda got the impression they found her altogether a little... twerpish herself? Her absence from the book therefore did make me wonder if that is more than an impression and they're actually not very fond of each other? (I may be reaching though because a friend of mine saw Rica at an event and said she was really obnoxious to her co-star which has super coloured my view since lol, so take my word with a pinch of salt...)

In contrast, Megumi talks very fondly about Ikue Ohtani (whom she refers to as 'Iku'*) and how she looked out for her and befriended her in Conan, choosing to come sit next to her in the recording studio when she felt she had lost 'her' seat to Wakana Yamazaki who plays Ran, and how they've been on holiday (accidentally) together which is how Megumi ended up become friends with the One Piece creator/gang and then herself getting a role on the show.

*NB: @GalacticRonpa is this nickname the same in the Japanese? I wondered if it got paired with an honorific or alone... (It's mentioned at the beginning of the 'Rebecca'/One Piece section.)

That's strange.....
Both Hayashibara Megumi and Matsumoto Rica got their first memorable big-roles in 1988 Oso-kun.
The former had only voiced extras before, while that was the latter's proper debut.
Among the brothers, only them and Osomatsu get singled out in the ending credits.
When I saw the homage to Hayashibara-san's other roles in SM, this crossed my mind and how they could've worked with it.

But yeah, it can be that they don't really get along well....

And I really liked Inoue You's work in Urusei Yatsura and Daltanious, it's saddening that.....
It was rather curious how Matsumoto-san inherited Bakura's role from her, though.

It's interesting that she doesn't talk about Rica because she namedrops a literal fuckton of famous seiyuu/creators throughout the book, and aside from even the obvious, the two have worked on a number of the same anime. Based on how Megu, Miki and Inuko once talked about her in a radio show interview I kinda got the impression they found her altogether a little... twerpish herself? Her absence from the book therefore did make me wonder if that is more than an impression and they're actually not very fond of each other? (I may be reaching though because a friend of mine saw Rica at an event and said she was really obnoxious to her co-star which has super coloured my view since lol, so take my word with a pinch of salt...)

That's strange.....
Both Hayashibara Megumi and Matsumoto Rica got their first memorable big-roles in 1988 Oso-kun.
The former had only voiced extras before, while that was the latter's proper debut.
Among the brothers, only them and Osomatsu get singled out in the ending credits.
When I saw the homage to Hayashibara-san's other roles in SM, this crossed my mind and how they could've worked with it.

But yeah, it can be that they don't really get along well....

I don't want to derail this thread by getting into Rica. But I have heard a lot from other seiyuus about her as well as other people (that she is prone to anger easily and etc). It is certain enough to me that a lot of fellow seiyuus and co-workers seem to have a negative reception of her. It makes sense to me especially when you consider things like this and more on.

I don't want to derail this thread by getting into Rica. But I have heard a lot from other seiyuus about her as well as other people (that she is prone to anger easily and etc). It is certain enough to me that a lot of fellow seiyuus and co-workers seem to have a negative reception of her. It makes sense to me especially when you consider things like this and more on.
I don’t want to derail the thread either but I also don’t want to create a new one with the sole purpose of investigating my suspicions that Rica is a brat :p I honestly don’t know how much stock to put into that embezzling story, but I’m certainly interested if you can remember any of the specific examples/sources that demonstrate other industry people having a negative view on her...

I don’t want to derail the thread either but I also don’t want to create a new one with the sole purpose of investigating my suspicions that Rica is a brat :p I honestly don’t know how much stock to put into that embezzling story, but I’m certainly interested if you can remember any of the specific examples/sources that demonstrate other industry people having a negative view on her...
Some co-workers said that she was prone to anger and used to shout and if she were to argue, [Matsumoto] would browbeat her in that Satoshi voice and volume and also claimed over ten assistants quit in four years. I don't know more but I think with things like this, Megumi not mentioning her in her autobiography and the experience your friend had when she saw her make me think that way.

I brought that topic here, sorry.
Just thought it was curious that both seiyuu got their first big-roles in the same anime.

I really liked Hayashibara-san in Nobita's Diary on the Creation of the World, she played three characters there.
Curiously, all can be considered Nobita's look-alikes/counterparts.

GalacticRonpa said:
By the way maybe Dogasu should also take a shot at those translations, he's way more experienced than I am.

Your translations are fine! You did a great job.

ii kanji said:
DynamicFusion said:
Was there any mention of TRio's Sudden Change in Best Wishes?
Very diplomatically skipped over. Given that it's a book celebrating the roles and she gives A LOT of praise to everyone involved in the creation of the various shows, I think this was a good move. After all, she, Miki and Inuyama have been quite vocal in condemning that change, why dredge it up yet again?

Adding to this, I think it was definitely a conscious choice not to talk about Best Wishes!. There are so many "life lessons" she could have taken from that period -- how to keep yourself motivated when you vehemently disagree with the direction your character's going, how to deal with a drastic reduction in screentime, how to let off some steam by recording a radio show on the side, etc. -- that the chapter basically could have written itself. But, doing so would have also (probably) stepped on a lot of people's toes and would have clashed with the tone of the rest of the book. So yeah, it was probably for the best that she talked about other parts of the series.

GalacticRonpa said:
I'd like to know the reason of the sudden personality shift as well, but I'd guess it'd come out of one of the producers or heads of the show instead of a voice actor.

Kunihiko Yuyama implies it was a decision made by the higher-ups in production, which as far as I know is the closest thing to an explanation we've ever gotten.

The beginning of this makes me wish they'd just let her do Jessie's English dub voice but she's too good for the dub.

Kunihiko Yuyama implies it was a decision made by the higher-ups in production, which as far as I know is the closest thing to an explanation we've ever gotten.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Gachat has the same culprit.

Last edited:
The beginning of this makes me wish they'd just let her do Jessie's English dub voice but she's too good for the dub.

That'd be tricky for anyone trying to dub\voice something that's not in their native tongue xD

I tried to do some English voice acting in the past over my own projects and could barely hide my accent, so much I had to ask someone else to do it instead xD

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom