• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

EVERYONE: Memories: A Phanpy’s Story

Trouble

Writer
Reaction score
Well, a bit of background, (not much at all), Phanpy is my favorite Pokemon, I love writing stories, this is my first attempt at a first person narrative, it will be episodic, each episode may not be tied in directly to the one before it. Yay comma splices!

Episode 1

On Christmas morning, there is reason for many people to be happy, if not all people, but for Terrance and his brother and sister, there was more reason than most had to be especially happy. In the heart of ten-year-old Terrance there was already an uncontainable joy. It showed all over his face and could be heard now in his voice.

“Let’s open the presents now!” he shouted.

His mother giggled and sat on the couch as his father rose from the same couch and approached the Christmas tree to take all the presents out from underneath, “Okay, Terrance, settle down,” she said.

“Alright, this one is for Angela!” said Terrance’s father excitedly as he handed a small box, wrapped in red, to Terrance’s sister, “And this one is for Joseph!” he shouted again, handing Terrance’s older brother an oddly-shaped package, “And this one is for Terrance!”

Terrance’s father handed him a package that was also oddly-shaped. He unwrapped it to reveal that it was an elliptical capsule, unlike anything that had been on his Christmas wish list. The mystery only added to Terrance’s excitement as he ripped the paper away from his present. His brother and sister beside him were solely focused on their own as well. When Terrance had finished unwrapping his present, he could only stare at it confused.

He looked over at his mother on the couch as his father pulled out more presents and put them in front of the children they belonged to.
“Mom,” he said, “What is this? What do I use it for?”

His mother giggled, “Open the rest of your presents, then we’ll tell you.”

Terrance looked over at his siblings to see that they had received very strange gifts too. His brother received a capsule like Terrance’s, but it was a different color, and his sister had received a small, red box-shaped device. Its structure was reminiscent of that of a calculator. Finally it clicked for Terrance what was happening. That was a Pokédex, like he’d seen on TV. Terrance held his tongue at this moment, though he had a feeling a bigger gift was yet to come.

Festive wrapping paper continued to fly around the living room as gift after gift was unwrapped. A backpack was unwrapped, a belt that was “built to hold things,” according to Terrance’s father. These gifts were all the same between Terrance and his siblings, save the color: For Joseph, a theme of black and blue, for Angela, a theme of pink and dark purple, and given to Terrance, a theme of red and gold. Finally, they all opened one last gift: each received a hat that was fitting to the color scheme of the rest of their gifts.

Terrance had finally had enough. Holding in the knowledge of what was coming became too much for his little heart to contain. He shouted as loud as he could, with a smile beaming across his face, “When do I get to see my Pokémon?!”

I guess that’s where I come in. I’m Terrance’s Pokémon. It’s been many years since this Christmas morning, and I remember it so clearly. They say that a Donphan never forgets. I suppose that it’s true. Since I’ve got nothing better to do, I’ll recount my knowledge from where I left off. Terrance had just shouted, that’s right…

* * *​

Terrance’s parent’s faces lit up. Such a clever boy they had. Terrance’s father walked out of the room, and brought me into the room first. I remember laying eyes on Terrance for the first time. He looked at me the same way I was looking at him. He was elated, his eyes bearing more happiness than anyone ever thought capable. Of course, it was he who looked at me that way first. It was that look that was impossible not to return. He ran up and embraced me as he went to his knees to stand on my level. He was much taller than me, I remember, as could barely reach his waist at the time, even on my hind feet

“A Phanpy!” shouted Terrance, “Horray, a Phanpy! Mom, Dad, I’m so happy!”
Behind me came Terrance’s brother’s Pokémon, an awfully mechanical-looking Pokémon. It suited Joseph’s mind well, though. Always contemplating, breaking everything down logically. Terrance possessed some of that ability, but not nearly at the level of his brother. It was a Magnemite. As he entered the room, the ornaments on the tree began to gravitate towards him. Joseph smiled and ran to his Pokémon, almost as excited as Terrance.

Finally, out came Angela’s Pokémon. The middle child of the three, she always expected everything would come last for her, as her younger brother was given everything first, and her older brother took everything else. This Pokémon, however, made her forget it all as soon as she saw it. Cubchoo came out from behind Magnemite and awaited an embrace. The small bear was really adorable. Looking at the Pokémon now, you wouldn’t know it, but that’s a story for later…

Angela walked slowly towards her Pokémon and sat down first, then cautiously embraced him, “I’ll call you Snowy,” she said.

Joseph chuckled a little, “Creative, Angela.”

Angela wrinkled her nose and stuck her tongue out, “It’s the perfect name for him,” she said defiantly.

“Okay, okay, fine,” said Joseph, “… let’s see whose is strongest. Right here, right now.”

“No,” interrupted their father, “You’ll see whose is the strongest while you’re outside.”

Terrance stood, that was my trainer, already up for the challenge, “I wanna be part of this too!”

Joseph was already on his way outside with his Pokémon, “Well come on, then!” he shouted.

Terrance and I hurried after him, with Angela and Snowy slowly making their way out there.

* * *​
The six of us took separate corners in the yard. Terrance and I were in the corner furthest from the house. I saw Terrance’s parents staring out the window, ready to witness their children’s first battle. I awaited a command, the battle was already in me, even at that age, I trusted Terrance to tell me what I needed to do, but he was not the first to speak.

“Magnemite,” said Joseph, “Tackle Angela’s ‘Snowy’!”

Magnemite made no sign of comprehension aside from simply carrying out the action. No nod, no vocalization, just one aggressive move made towards the little white bear. I kept waiting for Terrance. Finally a command.

“Okay, I’m going to name you Aecen, okay? Aecen, go tackle Magnemite!”

I did as I was told. After a good running start, I jumped up, extended my legs, and ran after Joseph’s Magnemite. In all my excitement, I must have missed a command, because instead of forcefully tackling my opponent, I simply landed next to him on top of ice-covered grass. I looked up to see Snowy gloating. He had just done a number on me, but Magnemite seemed mostly unharmed. I heard Joseph’s voice again.

“Magnemite, don’t slow down! I said tackle Snowy!”

Magnemite responded with action again, finally reaching Angela’s Pokémon and knocking him to the ground.

I slowly picked myself up to stand. That ice was so painful!

“Aecen!” I still love to hear the sound of my trainer’s voice, just as I did then. As soon as I heard it, all the pain went away, “Scare them! Growl at them!”

I let out a growl as fierce as I could manage. It seemed to work, as both of my opponents took a step back.

Angela called out to Snowy, “Use the Icy Wind move again!”

Snowy breathed deeply and let out another layer of ice while he breathed out. I just barely stepped aside from the attack, and prepared for another command. Joseph was relentless.

“Magnemite, tackle Snowy!”

Again, Magnemite did as told.

“Aecen!” Terrance… “Tackle Magnemite!”

I jumped onto Magnemite as Magnemite lunged for Snowy. There was a jumble of legs, trunk, tails, magnets and screws as all three of us tumbled over one another.

“Okay, that’s enough!” Terrance’s father called out, “Come back inside and have breakfast with us.”

I heard Terrance sigh with disappointment as did his siblings.

Joseph protested, “But the battle isn’t over!”

“Finish it later,” was the reply.

“Fine…”

I tried to stand as Terrance walked up to retrieve me, but there was a heavy metal thing on top of me… oh… that was Magnemite. I pushed a little harder, and flung him off my back. Snowy giggled watching him fly up and hit the ground. Magnemite finally made a noise!

“Gwank!”

Snowy began to laugh out loud now, and so did I. Terrance grabbed my trunk while it was in the air, “Come on, Aecen, let’s go eat!”

I happily followed. Joseph was already inside without Magnemite. Angela stepped in right behind us with Snowy. Each of us were given a suitable Christmas meal, and began to chow down.

Terrance broke the cacophony of chewing and grunting as was often heard at mealtime in that house and shouted, “Dad, this is the best Christmas ever!”

Last edited:
@CyberPika: you shouldnt be talking that was a great story, it was well writen and puncuation is not bad. cant wait for the next chapter!

Little more background, I want to demonstrate the idea of Pokémon's equal footing with humans in this world, and to show that battling Pokémon is supposed to be something fun and exciting, not violent and whatnot. That was kind of the idea behind Terrance's innocence, and the fact that a very intelligent Pokémon is narrating the story. Anyhow, here's more story.

Episode 2

A new year began just a week after Terrance and I had first met. There are so many stories to tell about my experiences with this wonderful trainer of mine, but I guess I'll have to go in order. As it went, having certain Pokemon seemed to define all the young trainers in Terrance's family. We gave them new knowledge of themselves, and they gave us new knowledge of us. Like my name, I never would have had one so unique as "Aecen" if it wasn't for Terrance. I'm unsure why he chose the name to this day, but it never left me. The long "A" sound, that soft "C," and the way the letters flowed together, it is the name for me. I suppose the best thing about the name is that, since it doesn't already have any meaning, it's up to me to define it. Whether Terrance knew it or not at the time, he was a genius... but enough about all that, you're all here for a story...

The new year had started already. Everyone in the family celebrated and Terrance held onto me tightly as the family counted down from ten to zero to bring it in. I was so caught up in the excitement, I let out my loudest trumpet sound. The whole family then burst into laughter, and I smiled too. I must admit, at the time I made the most pitiful sound a Phanpy could ever make. I got better at it, of course.

The next morning, Terrance came to me with ambitions as new as the year. He was going to get his brother and sister and they were going to become the strongest trainers in all the world. That's what he told me, and that's what he told his siblings too.

He ran excitedly into his brother's room and vocalized his invitation, "Joseph, your Magnemite has gotten stronger after all the battles this week with Aecen and Snowy. I was thinking... what if we started adventuring together to make our Pokémon the strongest?"

Joseph was sitting up in a chair reading a manual on Pokemon battles at the time. He looked up from his reading and thought for a moment, looking Terrance in the eye... always a respectable trait about Joseph, he always looked straight into the eyes of the people he was talking to, "An adventure to become the strongest trainers?"

"With the strongest Pokémon!"

"Of course, Terrance... The idea sounds grand! What a dream! Of course, in the end, there can't be three champions. We would have to decide whose Pokemon is the strongest when it comes down to it."

"I guess... but until then, we can travel together, right?"

Joseph paused again, then said, "If your sister can be as excited about it as you are, then I'll go."

Terrance picked me up as he twirled away from Joseph's door, and ran to his sister's room, "Angie, Angie! Will you go on a Pokémon journey with me and Joseph?"

I remember Angela's voice revealing very cross emotions at this notion as she responded, "I really want to go, but... Joseph is always teasing me, Terrance. I don't know..."

"Oh, please, Angie, please, Joseph says that if you're super-duper-extra excited he'll go."

"Did you ask mom and dad?"

Terrance immediately turned around and ran into the living room to find his parents. I watched him run out there and turn back to run to their room. I followed him into their bedroom, and listened, my excitement growing with each moment. The places I'd see, the people and Pokémon I'd meet. As Joseph said, this would be grand!

"Mom, Dad, Mom, Dad!! I want to go on a journey to become a Pokémon champ! Can I go, can I go, can I go pleeeeaaassee?"

I let out another pitiful trumpet sound to go along with Terrance's desperate chorus of pleadings.

"I want to bring Joseph, and Angela, and their Pokemon, and especially Aecen. Can I go?"

"Terrance," said his dad, "you remember the first gift you unwrapped at Christmas?"

"Yeah, the funny capsule."

"That was given to you for exactly that purpose, Terrance. It's a potion, and we gave it to you to get you started. Your belt, your backpack, all those Christmas gifts were given to you to equip you for your journey. All we were waiting for you to show was initiative before we sent you off.

"Terrance, it will be a difficult road. People and Pokémon can get hurt out in the wilderness between cities, and especially in Johto, where we have some of the most vicious wild Pokémon. You have to be cautious, and prepared, and never give up.

"Angela, Joseph, come in here."

Terrance's siblings responded to their father's call and came in, Angela following Joseph. They both asked at the same time, curious to know, "What's happening?"

Their father began speaking again, "Your mother and I have equipped you with the mechanical tools to get all three of you started on a journey together. We couldn't afford to give the three of you all of what was required, so we gave an important piece to each of you. To Terrance, a potion to heal one of your Pokémon once. To Angela, a Pokedéx to acquire knowledge of all the Pokémon you encounter, and to Joseph, an antidote, to heal a poisoned Pokemon once. That said, nature has gifted the three of you the attitudes necessary to succeed. To Terrance, we see that he has the never-give-up spirit! To Angela, the cautious approach to new experiences that can help to figure things out before they become a problem. And to Joseph, the ability to think ahead and be prepared was given. And for these reasons, the three of you must travel together to conquer first Johto, and then the trainers of the world."

I watched the children stare in awe, and I was quite dumbfounded as well. Their father had never spoken so eloquently since I arrived. The contents of his speech were so moving, so inspiring, I ran up to Terrance without a care in the world and knocked him off his feet. He fell on his back on top of me, and I let out a little squeak from my trunk. I pulled myself out from underneath him and bumped him with my trunk. He laughed and pulled on it to get me closer, then sat up and picked me up.

"Aecen's excited too!" shouted Terrance.

I ran out to Snowy and Magnemite to tell them the news. We were going to be champs! I could feel it!

Their reactions to the news were quite diverse. Snowy just stared in awe about the prospect of leaving the region, and Magnemite didn't seem to care about leaving all that much. He had a colder attitude about him than my ice-type companion... or maybe it was the hard steel casing that kept him from feeling. Steel-types are really quite peculiar Pokémon.

Snowy finally got out of his stupor and stood, "We're going to travel the world! Wow!"

"I'm so excited! I said, "I can hardly wait to get going!"

"Come on, Magnemite, show a little enthusiasm, won't you?"

All Magnemite could muster was a metallic "Gwwooorrrrmm..."

Like I said, Steel-types are complicated...

Snowy nudged me and said finally, "Hey, you know one day we'll have to figure out which of our trainers is stronger, and which of us is strongest."

I nodded, "Maybe we can come a step closer to figuring that out right now."

"Maybe we can!"

I leaped up to tackle Snowy onto the floor, and...

Yaaaaaaawwwnn... that's enough for tonight. Perhaps I'll tell you about the battle we had that day, or maybe I'll tell you about a better one we had... after all, there were much better ones afterward. But not until next time. Don't worry, don't worry, I won't forget.

Last edited:
that is a great story plot you have going on, and the discription lets us picture what you want us to be thinking about. the grammer is great and just little puncation erorrs that every one would probaly miss. you still want me to keep reading!

Well might I add that this was much better than expected. I assumed that from the point of view of a pokemon there was only so much you could do with the idea, but since it's going to be a journey and everything, this will be very unconventional.

Not that that's bad at all, in fact it's good. Because journey fics need something fresh to set them apart.

Thanks for reading, guys! I'll be taking a short break (I know I JUST started) as I'm leaving to go on vacation for a few days. I'll be back for the next episode next week.

This fic's really good! No grammer errors i can see, and really good detail. You just gained a reader :)

Alright, so glad to have some readers interested in my story! I'm back in action from my vacation and ready to roll on with the story...

Episode 3

It's near impossible to explain the feeling of stepping away from home knowing that your return will not be a swift one. I remember the feeling, however, no matter how impossible to describe it may be. I simply took it step by step behind Terrance, not sure when I would be called into action to protect my trainer, or fight against another trainer's Pokémon. Wild Pokémon would surely attack in territorial rages. And what if Terrance were to catch a new Pokémon? Would we get along? Would we fight? How would he take to me after I attack him? I don't remember the wild. I was bred right into a family specifically for the sake of starting a trainer for his journey. My father, a bold and brave Mamoswine, taught me all about loyalty to my trainer, and the hardships to be faced in a journey to become champion... oh the stories he would tell.

As was expected, Terrance's excitement led him to be the first of his siblings out the door. His older brother was right on his heels, not wanting to be shown up by the "squirt," as he sometimes called him, and Angela was moseying behind the two. It had been a week since their original decision to take this journey together, and they were all prepared now, trainer and Pokémon walking side by side.

The one feeling I've nearly forgotten (not completely, I never do forget, remember) was the trepidation I had. So timid and fearful of what to expect out in the wild, or in the big cities, or anywhere! Johto was a fearful place the way my mother would sometimes describe it, but she did insist that I experience it. So with all my father's stories, and all my mother's warnings, I was running behind my trainer, barely keeping pace with him. So many words can be used that don't quite add up to exactly what I was feeling, but there is one word to describe the atmosphere of the place where a journey is just beginning: exhilarating.

Terrance, once just a few steps away from his hometown, had finally slowed down. He was finally experiencing the pressure of being on his own... away from home. His house was still in view. A few more steps, and he would be further from his parents than ever before. His brother and sister and their Pokémon finally caught up to him and myself, and they stood and stared at the wild patch of grass just outside of little old New Bark Town.

"Here we go..." Terrance said slowly.

Joseph boldly stepped into the grass without a word. He looked back at his siblings as if to say, "I'm ready, and if you're not, go home now."

Terrance was about to step into the grass with Joseph until he heard Magnemite make a loud, metallic cry. At a dizzying speed, Magnemite was in front of Joseph, protecting him from something: a wild Pokémon!

As a small Rattatta jumped from the grass at Magnemite. Joseph smiled a little, "This one is easy!" he exclaimed, "Magnemite, use Supersonic!"

Joseph had learned a lot from his books, and Magnemite was already using an advanced move. I watched eagerly to see the results of this move. Suddenly, a loud screeching sound was emitting from Magnemite, causing everyone within earshot of it to recoil. The wild Rattatta seemed to have lost its orient completely. Joseph turned around to face his audience, and talked to them like a school teacher, "This, Angela and Terrance, is a status called 'confused.'"

The wild Rattatta stumbled back and forth, but managed to make a leap in Magnemite's direction. The attack made contact, but barely phased Magnemite.

Again, Joseph turned to us as we watched, "What you are witnessing is a type resistance. The normal-type Rattatta is simply no match for my steel-type Magnemite. Now I'll finish him off easy! Magnemite, Tackle!"

Magnemite did as commanded and toppled his opponent over with a swift forward thrust of his body. The Rattatta was still up to fight.

"Tackle again!" Magnemite did as he was told again. I watched in awe. Joseph certainly could command his Pokémon with elegance and relentless passion. It was his logical breakdown of the battle that made it so effortless on his part. I watched the little wild Rattatta fall over, exhausted, and finally faint. The battle was over.

I knew Terrance had done a bit of studying as well, but I still wasn't as advanced in battle as Joseph's companion. Even Snowy had a really good edge on me. He had what the young trainers called a "type advantage" over me. His ice-type moves were gut-wrenching. I hoped every day on my journey that I would not have to face an ice-type any stronger than Snowy. Not ever.

Terrance jumped up and celebrated his brother's victory, "Alright, Joseph!" he cried out. Angela took delight in the result as well, but showed it only in her face.

Joseph's face showed a great deal of delight. It was his first victory outside of his family battles, "Let's get going!" he said, "All of us!"

Terrance took a bold step into the grass with me, Angela and Snowy following close behind. Our journey had officially begun.

Before I knew it, I was faced with a challenge of my own! A Sentret had sprung up right in front of Terrance. Without hesitation, I stepped in front of my trainer. Magnemite may have been faster than me, but I possessed more of something that none of my companions could match: brute strength. I was stronger than nearly any Pokémon in all of Johto, or so I felt at least. And there I stood, my feet planted, ready for Terrance's command. I could tell Terrance was surprised a the appearance of this wild Pokémon, but I remember he did so wonderfully. In a flurry, he commanded me to growl, curl up in a Defense Curl, then Tackle, Tackle, Tackle. My tiny opponent had no idea what it was up against.

I did exactly as I was told. I let out a menacing trumpet-like growl at the Sentret, then I curled right up into a little ball. I remember feeling small attacks from my opponent, but they didn't even matter in the slightest. From the protection of my Defense Curl, I rolled over and tackled the little Sentret. Again, a small effort to attack was put out by my opponent, but to no avail. My defenses were so rock solid (I don't mean to brag, but they still are). I tackled again, then again, and then the battle was over. My first wild Pokémon battle. And it wasn't bad at all! I noticed a few scratches on my trunk, but nothing that Snowy hadn't already dealt to me in the past. The battle was so exciting! Defending my trainer, showing the Pokémon in the wild who was boss. There was one thing I knew about the wild now: Terrance was boss. Every bit as much of a boss as his brother, and his sister and Snowy proved themselves to be the boss out there too. This wild Pokémon thing, it was a piece of cake.

I'll never forget feeling that way. And I'll never forget having that pretense shattered. But that's a story for another time.

It's a shorter chapter this time around, but I'm wiped out after today's work. More to come, prepare for Phanpy's stories.

Last edited:
Episode 4

"Snowy, use Powder Snow!"

At that point, that was the loudest I had ever heard Terrance's sister, Angela, yell. In fact, it was the most passionate I had ever seen her about anything. It was obvious what the difference was. She wasn't battling her brothers or a wild Pokémon. She was battling a trainer she didn't know, and this was where her true self came out. She and her Snowy were indeed formidable.

Snowy took a breath in and released a powdery, cold mist onto his opponent, the other trainer's Pokémon, a Totodile. As the blow struck the small, big-jawed Pokémon, Joseph shook his head.

"Angela, remember," he said, "Water-types are resistant to Ice-type moves. You need to use moves your opponent's Pokémon doesn't resist."

Angela put her hand out and talked to her older brother in a way that she never had before, "Joseph, you may have studied a lot, but I know what I'm doing. I've beaten you a few times myself, and I know that no matter what you've said, you weren't 'going easy' on me."

I looked over and saw Joseph blush in shame. What she said about her battles with him was obviously true. I remember seeing her beat him in battles, but he always would say he was going easy on her. Guess that's just pride talking anyhow.

After taking the blow, the other trainer was calling out a command, "Totodile, use Water Gun!"

A steady stream of water came out of Totodile's mouth and blasted Snowy in the face, knocking him backwards a few steps. As the blast was ending, Snowy put his hands in front of his face to stave off the last of the stream.

"Snowy, be patient now, use Bide!" Angela was commanding with enough ferocity now to surprise both of her siblings. I saw Terrance's face. He was elated to see his sister finally able to be herself. This was a side of her no one had ever seen before. Snowy did as commanded and put up a guard position. He sat in that position for quite a long while.

Totodile's trainer called out attack after attack. All Angela had to say was, "Snowy, don't you give in. Wait just a little while longer."

After one more blast from Totodile's Water Gun, Angela called out to Snowy, "Snowy, unleash it, now!" Snowy suddenly unleashed a blast of energy even more ferocious than Angela's calls. The blast took the opposing Totodile completely off its feet, and there it would stay, defeated. The opposing trainer called his Pokémon into its Pokéball. It was actually not too much later I would learn what one of those things was. I hadn't yet been introduced to that device.

The trainer spoke: "I just started out... I didn't think I'd be losing to a girl."

I saw a smirk light Angela's face for a brief moment, but then she returned to her usual calm self, "I'm ready to move on," she said, turning to her brothers.

I looked up at Terrance. He nodded to me as he took a step towards, and then a few steps past his sister. Joseph and his Magnemite gathered his get-up-and-go behind Terrance, and Angela took up the rear. As we were passing him, the trainer that just lost called out for our attention.

"Wait," he said, "let me show you into town. Looks like you guys could use some Pokéballs or at least something."

Terrance responded with gratitude, "Sure, we'd love to go with you. How far to the next town?"

"It's about a day's walk from right here. Cherrygrove, it's called. It's my hometown. We've got everything a trainer could need there. A mart, a Pokemon Center, everything but a gym, really. By the way, my name is Joshua. I'm glad to meet you guys. What are your names?"

"I'm Terrance," my trainer replied.

"Joseph," his brother said coolly.

"And I'm Angela," said his sister with the same timidness she used to speak with.

"Again, great to meet you guys. Travel with me for a while, will you? Oh, and I'm sorry about what I said about losing to a girl. One as tough as you, Angela, it's an honor just to go against you. I'd like to battle your brothers too at some point."

I loved the sound of a challenge. I know Terrance did too. I was ready to battle right now, but my trainer and his siblings and new acquaintance had plans to simply travel, so I just followed, eager for another chance to show my strength.

Yes, listeners, I'll admit, although timid for the most part outside of battle, when it came to showing my strength, I thought I was top-notch. I was unbeatable in my head and all that. I know what you're all thinking. At least half of you are saying, 'What a jerk, he's so full of himself,' and others are thinking, 'Yeah, way to go, little Phanpy!' Now that I'm an old Donphan, you're probably wondering which half of you I'm going to agree with. Well... I suppose you'll all find out sooner or later, but I'd rather let my story tell you than to just say it right out.

We boldly took the way to a city that few of us had been to before. I had been through there myself along with Magnemite and Snowy on the way from Goldenrod where I was born, and Joshua said that he lived there. Okay, so come to think of it, few of us hadn't been there.

Anyhow, so we boldly took the way. With Joshua at the front, we were ready for any challenge along the way. It was going to be a day's walking journey, and it was already noon, which meant that we probably would have to camp out for the night and wouldn't arrive until noon the next day.

Snowy made his way over to me as we walked, "Aecen," he said to me, "I've never heard Angela command me that way, with such power. It empowered me!"

I smiled as I walked next to and looked over at Snowy and said, "You battled with such skill! I was certainly impressed."

"Yeah, thanks, Aecen."

"Yeah, but I can't wait to fight you again. I'll bet I can beat you again and again."

"I don't think so, buddy. As soon as our trainers get the gumption, you're on!"

"Or," I said, thinking I was clever, "When our trainers are asleep, you and I get away and go at it tonight."

Snowy smirked, "You're on, Aecen."

With that, Snowy ran up to catch his trainer in stride, and I caught up again with Terrance.

Night had fallen. Joshua helped Terrance and his siblings set up camp. And we were out in the woods without them, Snowy and I.

"Are you ready, Snowy?" I said with the utmost confidence.

Snowy licked his claws, they were looking sharp, "Let's get this going," he replied.

"Let's start then!"

With that cry, I charged Snowy with as much strength as I could muster, recklessly running as fast as I could. With no time to move out of the way, Snowy took a breath in for his attack, but there was no time for that either. The crown of my head met with Snowy's gut and sent him flying backwards, his whole body flailing in the air for control, for a grip on something. He finally landed, his back on the ground first, then his paws hit the ground. He dug his claws in to stop from skidding. He regained control and stood.

"Alright, Aecen, prepare yourself."

Snowy took a deep breath in and spread an icy cold breeze throughout the woods area. I saw the roots freeze, and the ground around me, and suddenly I was engulfed in the cold. It burned my skin. I let out a loud trumpet sound in reaction to the pain. It was so unbelievably intense every time Snowy hit me with the ice attack. I jumped up off the ground, trying to get away from its cold surface. As I landed, I curled up into a ball shape, my defense curl, and braced for impact on the ground. I bounced once on landing, then hit the ground to stay. The cold had faded. It was time to roll. I rolled as quickly as I could, gaining momentum, barreling now towards Snowy. I hit something solid. Not Snowy. A tree. My body shook as I uncurled and landed on my rear. As quickly as I could, I swung around to get my orient in battle. Where was Snowy?

Too late, the cold came again, so bitter, so unforgettably painful. I winced, completely forgetting where I was. I knew the tree was behind me, but I was so dizzy, I had no idea where anything else was. I began swinging my trunk every which way, trying to hit something, hopefully Snowy. I was going to be the winner, that was it. I had to be. I kept swinging, but to no avail. My common sense finally broke through. I heard the voice of reason speak to me, a very simple message, "Open your eyes." ... Geeze, how hard is that, really? ... I opened my eyes wide. I took everything in that I could. I saw the cold mist rolling towards me again. I couldn't take another hit. This was it...

No, no I couldn't lose to Snowy. Not again, not like the other times in Terrance's back yard. It had to be different this time. It just had to.

Before the mist hit, I unleashed all my energy. With the loudest trumpet noise I had ever been able to muster, I picked my front feet up and slammed them to the ground, then my hind legs. The ground in front of me rumbled and cracked. What just happened? The crack spread out, deep into the ground and at a great distance from me. I heard Snowy screaming, then more screams. I looked up at the moon, but I couldn't see it for long. Small, dark figures began covering the moon. They had rapidly moving wings. I knew these figures from my parents' stories... Zubat. Whatever I had done just gave them a scare. There must have been a cave nearby. Suddenly there were more screams... It was Terrance and his siblings, and no doubt Joshua.

I ran right through Snowy's misty ice attack and bore the pain to find Snowy. He was knocked out. Whatever I had done, the destructive force... it was incredible. I picked Snowy up with my trunk and put him on my back. I had just enough strength after the battle to carry him to camp.

The screams were getting louder. Shrieks from Zubat and people alike were coming from the direction of the camp. No doubt Terrance was looking for me in this mess, and I was nowhere to be found. I was failing my trainer.

With the trainers and the Zubats ailing them in sight, I let Snowy down off my back and just outside the mess of Zubats. He would be in too much danger too close to the cloud over the trainers.

I heard Terrance shouting, "Aecen, Aecen, where are you? Use tackle, Aecen!"

I did as I was told, I tried to tackle each Zubat, but they were all to fast. The swarm I was attacking just moved all at once around my attack. This was hopeless. Terrance was too panicked to make a good call. Right now, it was Joseph that needed to command his Pokémon, but I didn't see or hear him anywhere. He would be the only one level-headed enough to make a good decision, I knew it then.

The Zubats began attacking me now. I was in the midst of all the Zubat with my trainer and the others. I felt each bite. There was no way I could take all these attacks just after my excruciating battle against Snowy. I was beginning to black out.

All I can remember hearing before I was out was Joseph's voice, "Magnemite, Thunder Shock!"

Black.

So, y'all have probably realized I'm increasing the distance between towns for the sake of the story line. Stay tuned for the next episode.

Last edited:
Poor Aecen... Zubats aren't fun, let me tell ya that. Also, what level is Aecen and the others? Because, if that was Earthquake, then he must be pretty high leveled.

That will be expounded on in the next chapter, so stay tuned. They're actually quite low-leveled, but we'll get to that soon.

First off, I have a confession to make. Phanpy and Donphan are two of my favourite Pokémon as well! (In fact, "Phanpy" being in the title was the main thing that drew me to reading this).

Considering how I just read chapters 1-4 in a single sitting, I don't think you'd believe me if I said anything other than that I enjoyed it - particularly Angela. I love characters who have sudden changes in personality when the situation calls for it; so while her timid-to-serious battling thing isn't original, it is still incredibly effective and I like it.

One touch that I found really cool was how each of the three sibling's Pokémon form a type triangle: Ground (Aecen) -> Magnemite -> Snowy (Cubchoo) -> Ground (Aechen). There are also the subtle things, like Terrance and Angela nicknaming their Pokémon while Joseph doesn't; it's those kind of small details that really highlight the difference in characters and shows how thought out they are.

The only thing I'd suggest is to break up the dialogue a bit more; add more description and narrative between the dialogue so it becomes easier to follow who is saying what.

@Chimchar98 Remember, it was said that Aecen's father was a Mamoswine, not a Donphan. As soon as I read that, I realised that Aecen most likely had an egg move of some kind.

This story was so much fun to read!! ^^ The spelling and punctuation are basically perfect. This is a great piece of writing right here.

Well I can say your fic is definitely original since it's done in the view of the Pokemon rather than the trainer. It's got a good description of events some times but I noticed that you didn't describe the siblings much I mean I do need a good picture of how they look unless that's what you were going for. Another thing is that while I like that your characters are quick to read you need to give them a little bit more depth in future ones which I trust will happen since you've been doing it well in this first few chapters.

Also I think battles need more description and a lot more action but mostly they need to be deeper the battles in the last couple of chapters move at a fast pace and are pretty straight up to the point so I'll advise you to give more description when it comes to battles.

Needs some work. My advise is tos go away for a little bit and come back later.

Cute...

Moving on...

Stellar Haze, thank you for contributing with some worthwhile criticisms after... that... I'll definitely work on the battle scenes, but as for describing the human characters, I really don't know. It's actually not something I like to do. I like for my readers to imagine what the characters look like for themselves so that they can put people they might even know or imagine to fit those roles.

I remember reading a book about a boy who was introduced without his appearance mentioned through a whole chapter. I decided to give him brown hair and blue eyes in my own imagination. Then the author told me he had red hair and green eyes a chapter later. It wasn't cool, I couldn't picture him any other way than I already was.

Joshawott, I will consider your criticism as well and try to make it clearer as to who is speaking when.

Thanks so much for the positive feedback as well. I'm achieving so far what my aim has been, which is to write an original and charming story from a 1st person perspective via a Pokemon. And it is my first attempt at 1st person narrative, I'll say again, so there is of course room for improvement.

Great spelling and grammar. I think you've got a good story going here. Keep it up!

I'm glad I took the time to catch up on this. Sometimes it feels like too many fan fic authors are trying to "have a more realistic take on Pokemon." You seem to accept the lightheartedness of Pokemon without hesitation, and pull it of with no less believability than the more "realistic" fics. The skimping on certain pieces of description actually seems to fit the voice of the narrative, which is quite well done in itself. Obviously, a Pokemon would focus on and care about different things than a human narrator would. You're doing well for your first time writing in first person, and like Joshawott, the only thing I think you could improve on is description of the surroundings merely for the sake of making it easier to follow what's going on. Very good job overall, I look forward to more.

This is very unique. :)
The point of view of a pokemon is very neat and great.
Your spelling and grammer are excellent. *thumbs up*
I can't wait until the next part. ;)

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom