• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S13 EP34: Memories are Made of Bliss!

;_; Aww, that surely would have made younger me cry. Shut up, Hikari, boys are allowed to show emotion.

Honestly, I kept on imagining Piplup behaving in the same way, but as an Empoleon, which he surely would have been by now if it weren't for that Everstone. XD But eh, it was a pretty cute idea to have a Pokémon be the most upset group member when the gang splits up. (In the original series, it was Misty, and in AG, it was Max.) It shows how far Piplup and Dawn have come since we first met them: Piplup originated as a selfish, prideful little penguin, and Dawn as an immature mommy's girl who always needed to be comforted when upset. Now Piplip has become so close to his traveling companions that he's throwing hissy fits and Dawn's the one playing a maternal, supporting role. D'awww.

And we got to see more of Pikachu's and Piplup's epic bromance. XP Kind of a shame there was no goodbye between Pikachu and Buneary. I mean, Buneary was already relevant to the plot and everything...

I get way too excited every time Delibird shows up.

So... bye, Dawn and Piplup! So long, Team Rocket as comic relief! See ya, DP Pokémon! Sayonara, PokéJapan! Goodbye, Brock after all this time! It's off to Unova! *puts the Best Wishes theme on repeat*

How does Brock leaving before even lessen this? I don't understand. Apart from OI he's never 'left' before, just gone home to sort stuff out with the intention of coming back. He was never going to leave anyway. The last time he 'left' was 4 years ago. I don't think it makes a difference he's done it before. It's still sad considering this is the last time. Him calling Ash 'pokemon master Ash' and saying 'Our adventure is over' or something is pretty damn sad.

Don't get me wrong, I found that "Pokemon Doctor/Master" stuff cool, and I get that they're close like brothers after traveling together for so long.

But that fork in the road thing then saying goodbye was done twice before and we were faked out twice. Hell, he left in OI and if people like Tracey over Brock, he might have stayed there. Just me, I guess.

vlcsnap2011020514h22m19.png

And so...the DP era comes to his end.

I would like to say some things on how I feel about this chapter but everything has already been said by others so I will just leave this obviously edited quote and be on my way.

"Farewell, my brave friends. Here at last, on the shores of the sea... comes the end of our adventures. I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil".​

We weren't 'cheated' out of Brock leaving before.. :/

Anyway, wasn't the dialogue in Japan something like 'Pokemon Master, getto daze' or 'Become a pokemon master', or something like that? I like how the dub changed it. I thought it was cute..

BROCK IS FINALLY GONE!!!

3 CHEEERS, HIP HIP HOORAY, HIP HIP HOORAY, HIP HIP HOORAY, NOW PLEASE DONT PULL A JOHTO AND BRING HIM BACK...

In sadder news, Dawn has gone :( I'm going to really miss Dawn she was a great character, almost, but not quite, as good as Misty, and I am really going to miss her. I think they should have let her stay instead of introuding the She-man that is Iris. He/she looks more butch than Bruno.

The episode was a mix of sadness (at Dawn leaving) and pure delight (Brock leaving). At one moment I thought I was a funeral, and mourned the loss of Dawn, then the next minute I was partying away as Brock said his final goodbyes, for good this time I hope. He should have left ages ago, he had no relevance to Hoenn or Sinnoh, so why did he get to stay and Misty didn't? Bring back Misty and bring back Dawn, then add the Male Character from BW and you've got a good lineup, with 4, 2 guys, 2 girls, no more boring brock, no more whiny May and whiny Max, and most importantly, no more she-man Iris. If Bruno from the Elite four had an arm wrestling contest with him/her Bruno would surely lose.

I cried watching this (although not tons obviously). Yes, I'm a nerd. Probably the saddest episode yet; I even cried over Dawn leaving, and I don't even LIKE her that much. It feels like the end to the anime entirely or something... or like these three have been traveling together since 1997 and it's now finally time to say goodbye. Brock may not have done much throughout the course of the series, but I am going to miss him like hell. Now that the dub finally caught up, it feels like he finally did depart along with Dawn. I really, REALLY wish he tagged along to Isshu (together with Dento, Iris, and Satoshi).

Gah, why is it so sad? I'm usually pretty indifferent when it comes to feeling emotions in anime... q_q

So we get no goodbye to Ash's DP Pokemon at all? I found that strange. We also never found out where Gliscor went.

This was disturbing. Ash's DP team doesn't get any kind of sendoff at all. They should have at least done when they did with Ash's AG team in the last BF episode.

Since when does Ash's pokemon team get a sendoff on the finales?? Gliscor went back to training just as Charizard goes back to training in Charific Valley after every visit...

Besides, we can assume it was a few months between the last epi of DP and BW... especially since Team Rocket went through extensive training under Giovanni...

Besides, there being a sendoff for the pokemon wouldn't have made any effect to the episode, just stupefied it.

-----------

I actually liked the episode a lot... Could've gone without the TRio alliterations and ryhming but still, it was still very good...

So, the four year long journey has come to an end. It took the dub episode for it to properly sink in for me...

Oh jeez, this is making me all maudlin. Anyone want to join me in a Vera Lynn sing-along?

Last edited:
I cried throughout nearly the whole episode, especially when Pikachu started crying (everytime that rat cries, I cry. I can't help it) and when Ash and Brock said their goodbyes. Good god, that was depressing. It was even sadder than Gotta Catch Ya Later, which I bawled at. As the DP era draws to a close, I'm more than glad to be rid of the characters I didn't like, like KENNY AND ZOEY, and Dawn to a lesser extent. I didn't hate Dawn and it was kind of sad to see her go, but enough is enough. She was always my least favorite girl so I don't mind that much. But I'm sad that there will be no more Brock, Barry, Paul, Conway and Ursula. You guys rocked.

To sum things up, for a saga that wasn't my favorite, this was a great episode to end it.

This was a great way to end the series! The goodbyes were handled pretty well, and Cynthia and Flint's epic battle was just amazing! Especially when accompanied by the awesome extended version of We Will Carry On was so awesome to!

Now it's finally time for Black & White/Best Wishes!!! I can't wait!!!

i don't watch the English dub, but i liked that the TRio said: ''Blasting off to Victory!''

because they are blasting off for the final time, And they'll become Badass (Victorious-Victory) in the Next Season!

i don't watch the English dub, but i liked that the TRio said: ''Blasting off to Victory!''

because they are blasting off for the final time, And they'll become Badass (Victorious-Victory) in the Next Season!

Blastin' off to steal Victini?

Trust me to point out this detail but, this episode has reminded me...Dawn's house is FREAKIN' HUGE. Seriously, when she comes downstairs in the morning...HUGE. How much money did winning the grand festival give Johanna?

Brock said:
Since when is it against the law to dream?!
Too true xD

Okay, this is the only episode where I didn't hate Piplup. The music that played as it cried against Togekiss and Pikachu...wow. One thing I didn't like though, is how Piplup took a lot of the spotlight. What about Brock, who had travelled with Ash since 1997 (barring the Orange Islands)?

So I watched it again, and I liked a lot better the second time.
I thought it was a nice ending, but I agree that the dub was annoying when it came to explaining that "Becoming a champion master=Pokemon master".
I wonder how many times they said "No need to worry" in this episode also, almost like every scene. ;O

I thought it was a nice ending, but I agree that the dub was annoying when it came to explaining that "Becoming a champion master=Pokemon master".

Well it might be annoying, but at least it's better than the crap than the early merchandising that insisted that the only way to become a master was to capture every single Pokémon ("Buy our toys kids!").

I think the reason for the vision Ash had of him fighting Cynthia was probably an idea they had beforehand. BW came as a bit of a shock, and after all the buildup that happened throughout the series, I believe originally there was meant to be a side series a bit like Battle Frontier, with Ash fighting the Elite 4, possibly going through the Johto Battle Frontier first through training, and then fighting Cynthia and losing there after beating the Johto Battle Frontier and the other members of the Elite four. But because of the sudden arrival of BW, I think they cut it short and rushed the league (quickly threw in Tobias and his hacked team) and then showed that scene of Ash fighting Cyntia taking Flint's place as an almost little tribute to what was meant to have been.

I think the reason for the vision Ash had of him fighting Cynthia was probably an idea they had beforehand. BW came as a bit of a shock, and after all the buildup that happened throughout the series, I believe originally there was meant to be a side series a bit like Battle Frontier, with Ash fighting the Elite 4, possibly going through the Johto Battle Frontier first through training, and then fighting Cynthia and losing there after beating the Johto Battle Frontier and the other members of the Elite four. But because of the sudden arrival of BW, I think they cut it short and rushed the league (quickly threw in Tobias and his hacked team) and then showed that scene of Ash fighting Cyntia taking Flint's place as an almost little tribute to what was meant to have been.

I think you might be right.

It's sad to think how Ash could've won a conference league and faced the champion, especially when the writers wanted to. If you ask me, BW better make up for this.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom