• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mental thoughts: Being burnt out from the Pokémon franchise and the community

Do you get burnt out from Pokémon discussion here in Bulbagarden?

• Total voters

TouyaShiro

[LIMITER] [DISC] [SAVE] [SYSTEM ERROR]
Reaction score
Do you ever feel like, despite being part of the Pokémon community, you find yourself just burnt out of all the possible discussion to the point where you've already said everything that you want to say, and nothing new or interesting comes that would motivate you to rejoin the discussion?

I'm experiencing this kind of problem myself here in the Bulbagarden Forums, especially since it's the only part of the Pokémon community I'm an active part of (to say nothing of my experience on the Bulbagarden Discord server, but I'll leave it at that). Outside of the Fun & Games section, I hang out on the Current Events section most often for reasons that I hope go without saying.

To give you a bit of background into why I made this thread, I rarely dabble into any aspect of the community other than the video game side. Seeming as the latest major reveals of USUM, Pokkén Tournament DX and the new Nintendo Switch core series RPG have given us pretty much nothing to work with (either we know exactly what's coming or they give us very little on the side of the new content), and how I don't like participating in certain threads anymore due to certain views I hold very stubbornly (those of you who saw me in those threads would know exactly what they were, but again, I won't dwell on that too much to keep on topic), there isn't much in the way of threads that I would want to participate in because everything I could have said in the discussion I do participate in was already posted, and any further discussion would be me repeating myself, wasting everybody's time (mine most of all), and not advance the discussion at all. It's especially problematic with USUM, and I'm sure at least some of you could see why. It doesn't help that I'm currently unable to play SuMo because of a broken Circle Pad on my 3DS, so I can't even go asking for people's help with the Pokédex in the Trade Center, and in the Fun & Games section that I hang out in most often, I feel like I'm also burnt out in the threads in that section that happen to be Pokémon related since I feel like I can't think of anything I want to add there that hasn't already been said by myself or someone else, and when I do it's usually something rather obscure.

At this point, the main way I get into any sort of discussion for Pokémon in any aspect is when people bring it up in other Discord servers I'm a part of, and those instances (at least when I'm awake) are far and few between since those communities are not centred on Pokémon, and even then it's normally to repeat my posts and opinions that I've already said here so I can hear the responses and opinions of a place that hasn't heard my two cents on those matters. Beyond that, though, once I'm done with the conversation, it's back to the same state of being burnt out and not wanting to speak about it again - generally I won't be the first one to bring up a Pokémon discussion within other communities or chats for that reason alone.

I'm sure that for a bunch of you, it'd be harder - or easier - to be burnt out on discussion about Pokémon within the community, depending on the aspects of the franchise that you enjoy (the anime, manga, the world, maybe even the obscure things that never leave Japan). Perhaps some of you might have felt like you'd have left already if you were truly burnt out - I know I've come pretty close! I'm rather surprised that I've held on this long here in the Bulbagarden Forums without any new information since the Pokémon Direct, but I guess that's just how much I like the community here...

Leave your thoughts in a post below and in the poll above, as I'm sure that we've all thought about this situation at least once.
~TouyaShiro

I'm not really that much into Pokemon, myself, but I like good communities, I like interesting discussion, and Bulba mostly has that x3

So, I don't talk much about Pokemon itself. I like talking to all the different people that gather because of Pokemon :3

I can get burnt out sometimes, but it's always on socializing itself, not from a specific community xD

I don't think anybody can talk Pokémon forever and ever. I get burnt out beyond easily when it comes to nitty gritty specifics of the games, content and the like but I agree that the community is always going to be the strongest asset and the depth of people that are brought together from all corners makes for something more interesting altogether.

I'll check the main Pokemon parts of the forums to see if there are any interesting discussions involved. Usually there are some good stuff here in General Pokemon Discussion. If not, I just hang out in another part of the forum that doesn't involve Pokemon until something interesting pops up. I love Pokemon so much that I really don't get bored with talking to other fans about it. Of course it is possible for me to burn out, but I usually burn out talking about a specific game. Aspects of the franchise or even discussion of species or theories, I don't mind. It's not like I am on Bulbagarden 24/7, or even an entire hour. I am here like maybe 15 minutes at most at a time then I log off to do something else like go on YouTube or check my emails. Pokemon itself is my favorite franchise of all time but I do have other interests, too. I guess I have just learned to balance them.

I'm in this kind of slump currently for a very specific reason: my main focus is on RP and fanfiction, but I'm also notoriously lazy. I have ambitious ideas for both, but rarely find the motivation to actually do anything with them. And since they're the only real outlet for anything Pokémon-related I could possibly talk about, I very rarely venture into the other sections of the forum anymore.

My brain works in cycles when it comes to my interests. When Pokémon is "in" with a new game or significant news about a new game, that's when I spend more time online talking about it. Eventually, that phase passes and I run out of new Pokémon-related things to think about, and so I rotate it out for another interest which had since been in that same kind of pause. Pokémon is then put on hold until such time as another news cycle begins, or until I independently get hungry for it again. This isn't even necessarily a conscious act, it just sort of flows naturally that way.

My brain works in cycles when it comes to my interests. When Pokémon is "in" with a new game or significant news about a new game, that's when I spend more time online talking about it. Eventually, that phase passes and I run out of new Pokémon-related things to think about, and so I rotate it out for another interest which had since been in that same kind of pause. Pokémon is then put on hold until such time as another news cycle begins, or until I independently get hungry for it again. This isn't even necessarily a conscious act, it just sort of flows naturally that way.
100% with this statement right here.
Personally, getting burnt out is a common thing that happens in every field - not just pokemon. Just do something else and refresh your mind when you get bored of one activity. The experience is a lot more enjoyable when you come back :3
It can get problematic when you don't have the opportunity to move onto something else, for one reason or another (and given how I don't work to be able to earn income to grab stuff like video games on my own, it's perpetuated throughout my whole life to this point - something that I hope to change over the next year). Normally I have a rather high tolerance for this sort of thing - I guess it's just come to the tail end of the candle where everything's burnt to the point where I can't even light it up anymore. I can only hope that USUM and the other upcoming games are able to bring a new candle, a new "spark" as it were!

I posted like a madwoman the first couple of weeks or so that I was here, and then took a break when I felt like my interest in Pokemon was starting to wane. But since my interest in Pokemon is always present even in a low-key way, I knew it was only a matter of time before I'd want to start posting about it again. And here I am!

From the community side of things: No, I wouldn't say that I am burnt out from it. In fact, it's one of the only things that keeps me engaged with Pokemon at all. I'm honestly getting tired of the games now. I've been playing them for almost all my life now, and it's usually always the same thing. Granted, you can't fix what isn't broken, and I actually really disliked the approach that SM took. Nowadays I feel less excited about the games and prefer to keep to smaller role-play communities.

I genuinely experience it when I criticize the Sun & Moon series. The fans of these series tend to have childish attitude towards anyone who doesn't like it. I also realized that the same people (who attacked me out of nowhere simply because I don't like the series) carelessly keep defending the series no matter what in other threads. They need to grow up, and be mature. Not everyone has the same expectations from the series as you.

@Rockapheller
That seems more like they're trying to actively drive you out of the discussion, but I can see what you mean by the burnout, too! It can get tiring to the point where you leave so you don't need to put up with it anymore.

Truth be told, that was half the motivation I ended up leaving the Bulbagarden Discord server about a month or so after it first opened. Alongside other problems which I will not describe here, the back-and-forth with some of my personal opinions was getting a bit tiring (especially since I'm not exactly good at stressing the point I want to make very concisely until my head's clear, which usually occurs long after the debate itself is over), even if I did enjoy the time I had there with the Christmas competitions.

I don't usually post that much anyways, and its not out burnt-outedness. It's just because what I would like to say has already been said. Besides, I've mostly been working on my fanfictions for Pokemon, so I haven't really taken the time to be invested in that sort of thing. Now, all of this would change if they announce the Pokemon game I'd really be excited for: A remake of Diamond and Pearl. That was my first Pokemon game, and I'd really love to see it get some love...especially on the Switch, where it'd most likely be. Bonus points if they'd be called 'Adamant Diamond & Lustrous Pearl'.

I don't get burnt out. The main reason why I am here is because I felt left out IRL and I usually hang out at F&G (but occasionally here and OTB).

Also, even in a place where Pokemon doesn't have enough presence, I'm still excited for USUM!

Nearly everyone I know seem to be burnt out with Pokémon lately, it's quite sad. They all bought SM and just can't find it in themselves to be interested in USUM.
On the other end, I didn't get SM, held back on my jump into Gen VII, stayed out of the forefront, played the games I wanted, and now I feel so refreshed. I'm ready to rock!

I don't get burnt out on Pokemon ever, I'm just not consistently active in communities. My best friend and me Skype every Monday and Thursday and Pokemon comes up practically every day she and I chat. But I didn't go on another Pokemon forum that often when I was a member there. I'm new to Bulbagarden, but I can't imagine being extremely active 24/7. I'll probably go on and off every now and then.

I'm not really in the mood for UltraSun/Moon, but to me, there's a lot more to Pokemon than the games. Anime, fanart, fanfics, cosplay, plushie collecting, older games... Yes, I'm an obsessed Pokemaniac and proud of it. :p

Nearly everyone I know seem to be burnt out with Pokémon lately, it's quite sad. They all bought SM and just can't find it in themselves to be interested in USUM.
Same, the one thing I had to be excited about is an event

The burnout is like 75% of the reason that I am no longer a mod here like I was back in 2011-2012. I mean, I still like the pokémon anime to an extent, but the main games don't seem to interest me any more.

And same goes for the fanfiction as well.

I am slowly getting back into it thanks to Super Mystery Dungeon, but the days where I was here practically every day are probably gone.

I notice that the marketing strategy for USUM isn't really helping the threads within the USUM-section move forward, lol. That said, I don't post a lot, but there are a few times that I want to share my opinion, but end up just deleting everything because I don't see a lot of valued contribution anyway: it's mostly just a loophole of person A correcting person B and vice versa. I'm not trying to call anyone out or anything, but it's not motivating me to post anything, or get excited to do so.

Luckily I still enjoy Pokemon enough to come back to Bulbagarden (especially when a new game is coming), but I just check out more of the other sections to keep me excited for new Pokemon content.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom