• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mafia Mentor Mafia Game: Rainbow Rocket Strikes Back - Endgame

Very much! Since I was mafia we already had each other to talk to, but sometimes its really nice to have someone to bounce ideas off of. Speaking of, I'm new to this forums thing, is there a way to make a message with just yourself? Itd be so handy to do that if I was town with no one to bounce ideas off of. If not, if the role PM could act as such maybe? I know that trying to make coherent thoughts first makes it easier for me to put it into an argument in the main thread.
I've seen a few players who post ideas and plans in their Role PM to help think, and some who just chat with the host about random stuff lol.
Pretty decent, I noticed on Day 3 / Night 3 it took awhile for the story phases to be added which is understandable since mafia games are unpredictable.
Pretty common thing that can happen, plus ME, the flavor text writer also has a life outside of writing flavor :p

Its all @ZinnLav 's fault
ZinnLav, we were discussing games and got to the topic of Mafia, they encouraged me to join the Mentor Mafia so I could learn how to play the game. Glad I did since I had a lot of fun despite not being alive for too many days.
One of us, one of us!

General Questions
Did you have fun?
It was moderately fun. To be honest the game got sluggish near the end and go so text heavy it took away from it. I wish more was done to make it more beginner friendly. With the amount of terms being thrown and how it was active in very punctuated periods rather than throughout the game, I think it could have been more fun.

How was the flavour text? (The story in the phase updates)
Excellent and immersive

How was the hosting? (eg. were the phases on time, were updates correct, etc.)
Hosting was punctual and well-executived

What was your favourite part (eg. something funny or cool that happened)?
My favourite parts was when I got my mentor (@Fatima Shadow Frost Witch thanks for mentoring me you're the GOAT)

Did you enjoy working together as a player / mentor?
I did! Extremely helpful and well-versed

Player Questions
Did you enjoy your role, and did you like how the Role PM was written?
Yes

How did you hear about the game? (eg, Banner at the top of the forums, Discord, From a friend)
Friend

Do you think you’ll be interested in playing more games here in The War Room after this game? Why / why not?
Maybe. It's a huge time investment and to be rather honest I'd rather spectate games for the time being

I was lynched lol. What did I tell you?! :LOL:

Thanks @HumanDawn for mentoring me. You were a big help! :)

Anyway, good game mafia, great play. The results were a bit surprising, but not really. I do need to work on my scumhunting skills, though...

General Questions
Did you have fun?

Player Questions

How did you hear about the game? (eg, Banner at the top of the forums, Discord, From a friend)

Do you think you’ll be interested in playing more games here in The War Room after this game? Why / why not?

If you still have any questions about mafia, you may also ask them here now.

If you're interested in playing more games in TWR, we also have a discord server where we hang out and talk mafia about mafia related stuff as well. If you're interested in joining just send me a pm.
General Questions: Answers
  1. Of course! Although sometimes I may not have been too nice, but mid-Day 3/Day 4 I was having a bad day irl. Sorry if I offended anyone.
  2. To be honest, I was playing for the sake of the flavor. That was why I was so insisting to win lol. The flavor text was excellent, and it got me a few laughs.
  3. Hosting? Right on time, updates were correct.
  4. Getting lynched. No lie. The whole game, ever since I claimed, I was trying to get the others to believe me. It was a bit frustrating to see that a few Townies didn't believe me because of my behavior. I didn't want to get lynched, but it was fine since now everyone knows my role. I wish I had swapped myself and Felly Night 3. That was the biggest thing I would have liked to change.
  5. Yes, definitely. Not too much to say about this. The mentoring was great, excellent, amazing, e.t.c.
Player Questions: Answers
  1. Yes, being such a powerful role was so much fun. It seems that this game was "role madness"! Problem is, my Bus Driving never did much good.
  2. I saw the banner at the top of the forums.
  3. Absolutely! Though I have a bit of a tight schedule irl, so I might want to join as a substitute/spectator instead. It was a lot of fun playing with everyone, and I'd really like to do it again.
  4. Um, yeah. What kinds of roles have limited uses?
  5. Sorry, I can't join Discord for...reasons. If I ever am able to in the future, then I'll gladly ask for the link, though! :)
@DawningWinds I'd like to ask, what made you want to choose mafia as your side? Just wondering.

EDIT: Clarifying my question to DawningWinds.

Last edited:
I've seen a few players who post ideas and plans in their Role PM to help think, and some who just chat with the host about random stuff lol.
I do both. Ask anyone who has hosted a game I’ve played in. I will use either my role PM or Mafia chat to plot out the next ten phases, try to optimize actions, and just to post trollish memes.

I also spend an inordinate amount of time panicking that my well coordinated plans are going too well and that I’m either going to die spectacularly or the entire Town is actually on to me and they’re using me to figure out who my scum buddies are.
The former happened once. I got a lynch redirected onto me in Zexy Can’t Balance Mafia and then Elieson was killed the following night phase...Town still (barely) managed to win, with Midorikawa being, literally, the only player still alive at the end of the game.
The latter has never actually happened.

Actually, I’ve still got most, if not all, of my role PMs from various games.
While I’m not playing anymore, it might be insightful for newer players to take a look at those PMs in the context of existing games.

It’s a big PITA, and probably not worth it for most people, but it’ll be as close as I get to mentoring anyone.

Also lol at Dawning siding with us in the end,
@DawningWinds I'd like to ask, what made you want to choose mafia as your side? Just wondering.
The thread was too focused on one specific player, plus I was going to die so I didn't have to worry about messing up their plans.

Also if I had been alive, I would've shot Jamie to help the Mafia. Glad I wasn't.

General Questions
Did you have fun?

I don't much care for Indep roles, and I got lynched Day One.

+A

Unova's dark-type Elite Four member is not Raihan.
I think one of the updates was a bit late.
Otherwise it was good.

Felly always dies right away.

I think I would've, but I didn't actually work with my mentor at all.

Player Questions

I didn't really like the wincon, and I didn't get to use the JoaT.
The Role PM was good.

I get notifications for every post in TWR, so naturally, that.

Yes.

Eh, I guess, kinda. To be honest I found myself struggling to have motivation to keep up with a game that I myself wasn't playing.
Would you have an idea at how to solve that problem from a host perspective?
Very much! Since I was mafia we already had each other to talk to, but sometimes its really nice to have someone to bounce ideas off of. Speaking of, I'm new to this forums thing, is there a way to make a message with just yourself? Itd be so handy to do that if I was town with no one to bounce ideas off of. If not, if the role PM could act as such maybe? I know that trying to make coherent thoughts first makes it easier for me to put it into an argument in the main thread.
Yourself, sadly not. Unless you can manage to remove the other person. Role PM's are totally fine to write down your thoughts. Personally, I love seeing the thought process of players in their pm.
This definitely made me feel more confident about playing mafia on the forums, but I dont know if I will, just because itll likely have Paris and my other friends in it and I dont want them to hate me too much/think im always mafia cause I fooled them too good :confused:
Trust me, I've backstabbed a close irl friend of myself pretty hard. We're still good friends, so don't worry about that.
Yes, although a game can be kind of slow or no fun if not many people are interacting.
Yeah this seems to be a general issue with new players only, as there is no one to properly guide and push to convo forward. This is something that needs to be looked at for future games.
Pretty decent, I noticed on Day 3 / Night 3 it took awhile for the story phases to be added which is understandable since mafia games are unpredictable.
Also with the combination that ME wasn't able to write the FT at that time. But he will always finish his stories.
I wish more was done to make it more beginner friendly. With the amount of terms being thrown and how it was active in very punctuated periods rather than throughout the game, I think it could have been more fun.
The periods were probably a mix of a non-optimal update time + timezones + some players wanted to discuss things with their mentor first before acting, which caused even more delay. Especially @Zorchic, nothing wrong with that though, but in general, don't be afraid to make mistakes. You learn from that.
As for the terms, are you talking about things like WIFOM? If so, blame the mentors / slightly experienced players for that.
Although sometimes I may not have been too nice, but mid-Day 3/Day 4 I was having a bad day irl. Sorry if I offended anyone.
That can happen to all of us. Don't worry about it too much, but it's good that you're self aware. Besides, mafia can get pretty hectic sometimes, as long as it doesn't evolve into a issue on a personal level it's fine. It's a game to have fun in after all. Competetiveness is expected.
I wish I had swapped myself and Felly Night 3. That was the biggest thing I would have liked to change.
Yeah Zinn and I totally expected you to do that, as it seemed like to obvious move (but as hosts we know more of course).
Yes, being such a powerful role was so much fun. It seems that this game was "role madness"! Problem is, my Bus Driving never did much good.
TWR games generally are role madness. Your role was actually the last addition, besides the indep. We had used basically every common role already and we didn't want a player to be a boring Vanilla.
Um, yeah. What kinds of roles have limited uses?
Not really a hard answer on this. Whatever the host decides is balanced. The Vigilante, for example, is often an X-shot, where X is the amount of times they can use their power. On the other hand, giving a doctor limited uses makes it quite risky to use and makes them a lot weaker.
and just to post trollish memes.
In my experience it's about me dying or being a bad host :p

Yourself, sadly not. Unless you can manage to remove the other person. Role PM's are totally fine to write down your thoughts. Personally, I love seeing the thought
20200601_133740.jpg

Yeah, you can start conversations with yourself.

and I dont want them to hate me too much
Trust me, I've backstabbed a close irl friend of myself pretty hard. We're still good friends, so don't worry about that.
This reminds me. My final piece of advice for my mentees. @Tood @Agent2583 @jamiebearcub

Always remember that the first and most important rule of mafia is: what happens in mafia, stays in mafia :)

Yes, well. I made that into a War Room meme. :p
And yourself into a war room legend.

I did have a few major problems with the setup of this game.

1. Mentor mafia games are almost always mountainous and for good reason. Having all these roles inserts many variables (for example, is this person being evasive because they are scum or because they are the cop?). If you want to teach players the basics of the game, it is far better to use a simple setup.
2. The inactivity in this game was horrible. Many people just made one or two posts and left and few people actually voted. I'm sorry but in these conditions it is impossible to do any real scumhunting. A minimum post count per day should have been enforced, 5 posts per day phase is more than faanir.
3. Plus, the 48 hour day phases could be a bit fast when there might not be a large timeframe for the mentor and mentee to communicate. 72 hour day phases would have helped with this, as well as helping with the inactivity problem.

If you do another game like this, I hope you implement these suggestions, as the game as it was was not a real learning experience.

3. Plus, the 48 hour day phases could be a bit fast when there might not be a large timeframe for the mentor and mentee to communicate. 72 hour day phases would have helped with this, as well as helping with the inactivity problem.
This has been brought up before, but 72 hour day phase games seem to be unpopular on this site. The 48/24 thing has become standard here because of how popular it is with our players.

General Questions
Did you have fun?
Yes. Too bad I had to retire due to stress, but it was a nice learning experience.

It was nice, although I still have to read the ones that came after retirement.

For the most part, yes.

Well, discovering that killing Felly is a borderline meme was amusing.

Yes, although sadly I couldn't do more in the game. Next time I will see this to the end, Jinjo!

Player Questions

Sincerely, it was the kind of role that makes me nervous, since I could have screwed the town even more than they were. Specially since I planned to shoot Officer Snake.

I asked someone (I guess Fatima Shadow Frost Witch?) if Town of Salem would be a good way to learn mafia. They said no, but that there was a chance that a Mentor Mafia would begin soon. It might have been a coincidence, but that's how I knew I should join if the chance ever presented itself.

Well, I have played other games here, but not mafia. Once my nieces' school reopens and there's another Mentor Game, I'll join again.

If you still have any questions about mafia, you may also ask them here now.
Not at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom