• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

ME's Pointless Post on Pointless Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
About Pointless Posts:

Due to the relatively vague nature of pointless posts, the F&G staff has decided to post this guide explaining what makes a post pointless in F&G. Note that this only applies to F&G, and other sections have different rules regarding pointless posts.
Forum rules said:
4. Don't make pointless posts (Pointless Post, 3 points, 1 month)
-This includes posts like "This is spam", creating a duplicate thread, and posting only to bump a thread.
For the purposes of F&G, this means:
1. Please make sure your posts have some sort of content relevant to the thread.
2. Don't create another version of an already existing game. If an older version of a game has been inactive for some time, and you want to start a new version, let us know. We're not averse to users creating new versions of old games, but we just want to make sure that there is only one version of a game going on at a time. This helps avoid clutter.
Note: This is mostly for games like Up vs. Down, where running multiple versions at a time would be problematic. Once the old version of a game has reached its end, however, let us know, and we'll be happy to archive it to make way for the new version.

We do allow thread bumping for old, inactive, threads, though, as long as the bump post isn't a double post and contributes to the game.

About Double Posts:
-This also includes posting twice in a row to make minor additions to your first post. Use "edit" instead.
Double posting is not allowed. If you need to add something to your previous post, just use the "Edit" button.
For example, if you are the most recent poster in Kingdom of Pokémon, and nobody has posted in 12 hours, if you want to vote again, instead of posting twice in a row you should do as follows:
Maniacal Engineer said:
Zexy 2 -> 1
leetic 3 -> 2 -> 1
TheCapsFan 2 -> 1
Enzap 1 +> 2 +> 3
Maniacal Engineer 9001

About Post Relevance:
-Finally, this includes making a post that has nothing to do with the discussion in the thread it's in.
This is where things get a little tricky. In F&G, the point of any thread is the game itself, not conversation.
Therefore, any post that does not contribute to the game, even if it responds to an ongoing conversation in the game thread, is considered to be pointless.
In threads where there is some restriction as to when or how often you can post, such as Kingdom of Pokémon and Up vs Down, any post that you make during a time you should not be allowed to post is considered pointless, unless it is specifically pertaining to game rules, clarification of an in-game issue, or pointing out some inconsistency of the game.

If someone makes a post in a game like UvD or KoP that you wish to respond you, but you cannot participate in the game at that time because of the restrictions, you can quote the post by hitting 'Reply' and copying the text in the reply box. Then paste the quote into the Random Messages thread, and reply there, instead. Either that, or wait until you can participate in the game and then reply to the post in your game post.

The following would be considered pointless:
Maniacal Engineer said:
Crate Diggah said:
124. Booze?
Maniacal Engineer said:
Non-scoring post.
Crate Diggah said:
Yes please!

Even though I am directly responding to something Crate Diggah posted, I am breaking the game's rule by ping-ponging, and I am not contributing to the game. Even if I mention that it is a non-scoring post, the fact that it is a non-scoring post is what causes it to be pointless.

To correct this, I would instead do the following:
Maniacal Engineer said:
Crate Diggah said:
124. Booze?
TheCapsFan said:
Maniacal Engineer said:
Crate Diggah said:
Yes please!

About Minimodding:
Minimodding, or rule mongering in a thread that is not yours and as a non-staff member, is also considered to be a pointless post.
If you see a post that is breaking the rules, either forum rules or games rules, Report it and let either the game host or the staff deal with it.

If you notice a discrepancy in a game post, you may point it out.

For example, the following would be considered minimodding in the Last Post Wins thread:
Mini ME said:
Trolly McTrollerson said:
Hi there! *trollface*
The rules say that you have to post about winning in this game!

Whereas, this is not considered minimodding in an Up vs Down game:
Mini ME said:
Trolly McTrollerson said:
You were ninja'd in this post, so the score is now 175, as of this post.

About Rating Threads:
Rating threads tend to be in a category by themselves. As long as your post conveys that you are aware of the purpose of the thread, it doesn't matter if you post a real number or not. However, your post must convey an awareness of the thread's purpose and be relevant to the above thing that you are rating.

About Post Restrictive Threads:
Some games have requirements for post content, for example, Last Post Wins and Posts Without Likes Wins. Please read the game rules, outlined in the game's OP to determine if there are any post restrictions for that particular game. These post restrictions are usually set in place so that certain games don't effectively become another Random Messages thread.

About Perpetuating Games:
The last major aspect to cover is perpetuating games, which are games that require the poster to continue the game. For example, Guess the Next Person to Post, you need to guess who you think will post next. In Corrupt a Wish, you need to make a wish. In the Vending Machine, you need to insert something into the vending machine. Etc. etc.
Posts that either do not respond to the above post or do not perpetuate the game are pointless posts.

For example, if I were to make the following post in the Waiter, there's a _____ in my Soup thread, it would be pointless:
Zexy said:
Tell it to buzz off!
Waiter, there's a Dalek in my soup.
Maniacal Engineer said:
Well, you did order the EXTERMINATE! soup...

In the above post, I am not perpetuating the thread, so the poster below me has nothing to continue the thread with.

I think that about covers it. I know this wasn't brief, and I thank you all of bearing with me. It is an important topic to discuss.
If you have any questions about pointless posts, feel free to ask myself or any of the other F&G staff members.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to infract myself for all these pointless posts I made in this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom