• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Meteor Hits Russia Injuring 1000

DerMißingno

Gutes deutsches Bier
Reaction score
MOSCOW -- A meteor streaked across the sky and exploded over Russia's Ural Mountains with the power of an atomic bomb Friday, its sonic blasts shattering countless windows and injuring nearly 1,000 people.

The spectacle deeply frightened many Russians, with some elderly women declaring that the world was coming to an end. Many of the injured were cut by flying glass as they flocked to windows to see what the source was for such an intense flash of light.

The meteor – estimated to be about 10 tons – entered the Earth's atmosphere at a hypersonic speed of at least 54,000 kph (33,000 mph) and shattered into pieces about 30-50 kilometers (18-32 miles) above the ground, the Russian Academy of Sciences said in a statement.

Amateur video showed an object speeding across the sky about 9:20 a.m. local time, just after sunrise, leaving a thick white contrail and an intense flash.

"There was panic. People had no idea what was happening," said Sergey Hametov, a resident of Chelyabinsk, a city of 1 million about 1,500 kilometers (930 miles) east of Moscow.

"We saw a big burst of light, then went outside to see what it was and we heard a really loud, thundering sound," he told The Associated Press by telephone.

The meteor released several kilotons of energy above the region, the science academy said. The shock wave blew in an estimated 100,000 square meters (more than 1 million square feet) of glass, according to city officials.

The meteor hit less than a day before Asteroid 2012 DA14 is to make the closest recorded pass of an asteroid to the Earth – about 17,150 miles (28,000 kilometers). But the European Space Agency in a tweet said its experts had determined there was no connection – just cosmic coincidence.

The Russian meteor was probably about 2 meters (6 1/2 feet) across, about the size of an SUV, said Richard Binzel, a professor of Planetary Science at MIT.

The Interior Ministry said 985 people sought medical care after the shock wave and 44 of them were hospitalized. Most of the injuries were caused by flying glass, it said.

There was no immediate word on any deaths or anyone struck by space fragments.

Meteors typically cause sizeable sonic booms when they enter the atmosphere because they are traveling so much faster than the speed of sound. Injuries on the scale reported Friday, however, are extraordinarily rare.

Source

Gosh, what a nightmarish occurrence. It must've felt like the start of an apocalypse to witness that in person...

I hope everyone makes it out alright.

I'm kind of surprised it doesn't say anything about people thinking it was a nuclear attack.

That's actually exactly what I was thinking. I'm sure there were people who thought that at first, but kinda surprised nobody's reported on locals guessing that.

Gosh, what a nightmarish occurrence. It must've felt like the start of an apocalypse to witness that in person...

I hope everyone makes it out alright.

It's not all that nightmarish, really. I've seen one. It was higher in the sky when it had its shockwave, so it did a lot less damage, but it's much more whoa-exciting than scary.

And hard to mistake for anything else. I doubt that many people really mistook it for a nuclear attack. The one I saw was in 1994, and nobody figured "nukes!" then, nevermind that we were much closer to the Cold War than we are now.

It'd take one waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay larger to screw us.

A slightly larger one would screw some of us. If this meteor were 100 meters across those Russians would be pretty screwed.

Ok, what is it with everything saying "Russia was hit by a meteor"? There was no impact, the thing exploded in the air above. There's a difference in actual impact and exploding in the air above.

Regardless, lucky gits. I'd love to be that close to a meteor, and yes I'm aware of the shockwave and such. Still love to be that close to see it :O It would be amazing <3

Ok, what is it with everything saying "Russia was hit by a meteor"? There was no impact, the thing exploded in the air above. There's a difference in actual impact and exploding in the air above.
It's just a more simple way of putting it, though it is causing some misinterpretation of the events, I image.

Regardless, lucky gits. I'd love to be that close to a meteor, and yes I'm aware of the shockwave and such. Still love to be that close to see it :O It would be amazing <3
I would like to have seen it too, but isn't it a bit insensitive to say that? :/

I would like to have seen it too, but isn't it a bit insensitive to say that? :/
Not really. No one died, and I would personally love it. I'm insulting anyone, at least not intentionally, that's just how I feel: I think they were lucky to see such a marvel of nature so close and how much I would love to have been in their place.

Because it was easier to put that as the title than "Meteor explodes 50 km over Russia and injures 1000" and the consequences are basically the same. Besides if it impacted then it would be a meteorite silly.

The debris did reach the ground, ergo there was impacts with (parts of) the meteor :p

It looks like some final estimates are saying it exploded 15-25 km in the air with a yeild of 500 kilotons of TNT. For comparison, the bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were 20 kilotons.

For those wondering why this much more powerful explosion did far less damage than that of Hiroshima, like I was: "Little Boy", the bomb that exploded over Hiroshima, detonated at an altitude of only 600 meters compared to the 20km of the meteor. "Fat Man", the other bomb, detonated at 500 meters. I had always assumed that nuclear weapons had detonated at higher altitudes thanks to movies, and compounded by my poor grasp of metric measurements, I had no idea just how far up 20km is.

I read somewhere that someone offered some of the local people, who had found some of the remains of the meteorite, around 1300 dollars, which I guess it is collectors who is doing that. Anyone fancy some meteorite hunting? ;-)

Well, gosh. I hope that everyone didn't get serious injuries. But I did see the meteor on the news, so I knew a bit of the story before. But I wish that I could've been there, too. I would've been amazed to see a meteor.

I got this from Shaun McCalliuf's MAD AS HELL season 2 ep1 (from ABC1 australia): "(It's not easy to vote in Utopia)...in Russia, you wake up, walk in freezing snow, line up, vote for Putin, go home...get hit by meteor." LOL for poltic jokes, Tear Jerker for russians.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom