• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
Note: I searched and this topic doesn't seem to exist if I missed it I apologize, honest mistake and this thread can be closed.

At least half of those who venture into this topic are expecting to read about a second comeback film by the first legendary to hit our screens and impact the Pokemon world, perhaps even to debut the X mega form. So was I when I Googled this title.

Unfortunately what I found was that it seems to be a CGI remake of the first film that tells of Mewtwo's creation and how it wanted to wipe all life from earth to recreate Pokemon as a stronger and dominant species.

It releases in Japan on July 12th, currently, there seems to be no international release date and all trailers are exclusively in Japanese.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTBieAEGrf8

Mewtwo's original Japanese voice actor is returning to the role and so far there is no implication of any tweaks to the storyline.
Personally, I am less than impressed.

While Pokemon's need to dip its toes into the CGI pool is understandable, I'm not sure it's translatable. First, we have Detective Pikachu bringing Pokemon into the live-action world and that ended up with a possessed stuffed animal visual and now this film is attempting the other side of the coin, the 3-dimensionalizing of the animation but although this time the Pokemon are looking a little better, we're getting a plastic figure look with the human characters as well as with Mew and Mewtwo.
I'm not feeling the darkness in this 3D Mewtwo nor does it seem to emote with that coldness and hollowness that the original animated one did.

I'm still gonna have to see it though just because this is one of my favorite films along with 'Spell of the Unown'. Animation aside, I'd be a happy camper if it reincorporated the baby Mewtwo and Ambertwo prologue but I'm not holding my breath.

Im excited for it, I wish USA would put out more things about it though like Japan is doing.
They did alot for detective pikachu I wish theyd do it for this already

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom