• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review Mewtwo: The Prologue to its Awakening

No, wait, also, well said about the reason for rehashing the story: for all the little kids watching who never saw the first movie or the Kanto episodes leading up to it.

And even then, that's somewhat of a confusing thing in itself. Why remaster and re-air the first film and TV Special if you're going to assume none of the kids are going to/have seen it anyway? They even had the first film available for free viewing on Nico Nico Douga the day before the prologue special aired. How do these writers rationalize the things they do? If they had the kids in mind, why risk confusing the children that did catch those recent rebroadcasts?

For roughly the same reason that the prologue (as Silktree previously mentioned) was simply used to get kids into the theater seats; they think the kids be too excited to see the cool Pokémon do cool stuff to question the plot holes.

Virgil did absolutely nothing in this special.

Why do the writers keep shoe horning him into the biggest moments of the show and never having him actually do anything?

Him winning the pokemon league also counts since he doesn't seem to do anything about the fact that he won now.

Well at least Mewtwo gets more screen time if you're a fan of him.

Well at least Mewtwo gets more screen time if you're a fan of him.
Except that it's a completely different character and is more of a "her" than a "him". Fans of Satoshi's Butterfree wouldn't be satisfied with an episode revolving around an unrelated Butterfree.

Really a disappointing prologue for people that aren't all for just flashy animations.

Last edited:
Man, I hate not knowing Japanese. Otherwise I'd be joining the conversation as well.
The sad part is, you don't need to know Japanese to have an accurate guess of what's going on in this special. Not much happens.

I like the fact they did the animation with movie style (better animation than the tv series). It was nice prologue.

So Virgil returned! Did his Eevee evolve into Sylveon as I expected (I didn't see the prologue)?

I simply love the animation for the prologue. It looks so beautiful. especially in high-definition.

I actually warmed up to Mewtwo and liked the fact that her personality is different to her predecessor.

I had noticed some puzzling plotholes when I compared this prologue to the movie:

1) Danku said that Mewtwo's creators hired him to capture her and bring her back to them, yet they had died after she blew the lab up. Maybe he lied, was actually spying on the creators and wanted to capture Mewtwo for himself after seeing her powers?

2) Didn't Anne, Oscar and Virgil showed Mewtwo that not all humans are bad? Unless she thought they're the only exceptions?

I had noticed some puzzling plotholes when I compared this prologue to the movie:
Don't strain yourself to explain those plotholes. Since the prologue explains nothing about the movie and is not referenced by it in any way, it is safe to consider (at least) the prologue non-canon. You forgot a third plothole: In the movie Mewtwo is saved by Pokémon right after escaping from the lab, and it naturally befriends them. In the prologue we get another scene where the injured Mewtwo scares off Marill and Azumarill, which is inexplicable if it's been through a similar situation before.

Last edited:
This was good I think and had another Good Pokemon Hunter who worked for the Creators.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom