• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mewtwo's Role

Do you think the revealed Mewtwo look-alike is a Mewtwo forme or a new Pokémon?

• Total voters
Newtwo is obviously much smaller than Mewtwo is, which is atypical for Formes. But that doesn't surprise me, as it makes sense that Mewtwo would return to its roots as a Mew offspring. Presumably, this is what it would have looked like if the experiment hadn't gone too far for whichever unexplained reason (considering the huge dissonance between Mr. Fuji's kindness and the crulety to which Mewtwo was subjected).

I think that Mr. Fuji will find a way to undo the damage of the horrific gene splicing. Mewtwo only thinks only of defeating its foes because its battle abilities were raised to the ultimate level, but that may not have been a necessary outcome. Perhaps Mewtwo didn't need to suffer so much to become stronger than Mew.

Last edited:
So, I thought the weird head and fingers were bad...but then when you look at the original Mewtwo, circle fingers and a weird neck tube doesn't make much sense either.

Perhaps Mewtwo's development was actually incomplete? We know that in Crystal, Mewtwo left a Berserk Gene in Cerulean Cave. Perhaps this is the form Mewtwo takes once it is able to let go of its anger, thus achieving peace of mind and unlocking its true potential as the most powerful Psychic Pokemon in the world?

Perhaps Mewtwo's development was actually incomplete? We know that in Crystal, Mewtwo left a Berserk Gene in Cerulean Cave. Perhaps this is the form Mewtwo takes once it is able to let go of its anger, thus achieving peace of mind and unlocking its true potential as the most powerful Psychic Pokemon in the world?
If the Berserk Gene were to return, that would make me wonder if the new Forme was originally intended for Generation II. We know that Game Freak had to scrap around 100 designs from Gold and Silver due to memory constraints (that, and they probably didn't want to bombard the games).

Is it just me, or does Mewtwo's new head-design bring to mind the Omega symbol?

Not sure exactly where this could go though, beyond the obvious idea of this being Mewtwo's "final form" or something.

Only vaguely, ever since seeing it I figured that it was some sort of halo imagery or something similar.

Really looking at it, its possible though: Ω Its easy to get an image from that. Can't really imagine the reason, aside from maybe power to match the Alpha Pokemon Arceus.

Last edited:

This kind of makes me think that Gen VI will take place during Gen III. Maybe.

Hoenn remakes confirmed

What does Generation III have to do with the Berserk Gene? There is a very good reason to believe that the Hoenn games precede the Johto ones in the timeline.

What does Generation III have to do with the Berserk Gene? There is a very good reason to believe that the Hoenn games precede the Johto ones in the timeline.

Sorry, I mean, If Crystal was where the Beserk Gene was dropped, Mewtwos 'awakening'/New forme/ whatever would take place right after Crystal. If that era was Hoenn (same could be applied to if that era was Sinnoh, Unova, whatever), and Gen VI involves Newtwo, then Gen VI could well take place along side Gen III. If that makes sense. I'm not very good at explaining my thought pattern!
Note the if's!

I'm guessing this new Pokémon is going to be the end-game for XY, with Xerneas and Yveltol being the keys to finishing the incomplete formula (that previously led to Mewtwo). I went into more detail about here.

The tl;dr version is that Xerneas' possible basis is seen as a God of fertility, whereas Yvelto's is a God of knowledge. Both are rather standalone, but with Mewnew thrown into the mix, it could suggest a theme of Nature vs Nurture. The villain team (be they the people behind Mewtwo's creation or not) could be seeking out the legendary Pokémon (depending on the version) to aid in the creation of a more "complete" result, which would be their end-game.

Sorry, I mean, If Crystal was where the Beserk Gene was dropped, Mewtwos 'awakening'/New forme/ whatever would take place right after Crystal. If that era was Hoenn (same could be applied to if that era was Sinnoh, Unova, whatever), and Gen VI involves Newtwo, then Gen VI could well take place along side Gen III. If that makes sense. I'm not very good at explaining my thought pattern!
Note the if's!
Your explanation is clear, but the most commonly accepted theory about Generation III is that it takes place before Generation II. This is supported by the fact that Groudon and Kyogre (which Professor Oak said were from Hoenn) were not only awake in HGSS, but were also no longer fighting each other. Remember that they had been asleep for thousands of years before the events of the Hoenn games.

As for the Berserk Gene, it was removed from HGSS since Cerulean Cave was restored. Right now we can't be sure that the item is still supposed to be relevant to Mewtwo, but what we're theorizing is that whatever happened to Mewtwo off-screen in Generation II could be addressed in XY. In a sense, the HGSS retcon might have "delayed" the creation of the Berserk Gene.

I'm gonna go with the unpopular opinion here, shocking, I know, and say that I actually rally like Newtwo, being a new pokémon or a Form Change, I don't care, I think it looks pretty cool, and Mewtwo wasn't exactly a beauty pageant contestant to begin with.

I really hope it ties in with Mewtwo gaining peace of mind, and stopping its savagery.

As a player from when Pokemon first started I must admit I am both a little happy and reserved about this news. I mean part of me thinks Gen 1 Pokes should be left alone, they are special and nostalgic. But then the fan in me thinks that this could be really cool if we get some more story to do with Mew and Mewtwo and/or Newtwo. I am going to also throw my hat in the ring and say that its appearance looks pretty cool. What ever the role Mewtwo plays in X and Y I am happy to say that I am very excited about these games.

Although I'm not sure why, I'm starting to warm up to this form. Hopefully it will actually make sense.

After all the discussions I've had today, I've come up with a theory as to how Éclair Forme might be explicitly connected to Mewtwo's past. We know that Mew gave birth to Mewtwo, but I suppose that it's never been clear if Mewtwo was born as a Mew or Mewtwo. I've always assumed that it was the former since I couldn't imagine the full-sized Mewtwo as a baby (the anime made it smaller, but in that version there was no birth), but more importantly because Fuji's journal indicates that research was being done on Mewtwo for months (at least seven) after its birth. It seemed logical to me that the baby Mew had it genes spliced after birth, and that the gruesome experience made Mewtwo savage as alluded to in the Red and Green Pokédex entries:

A Pokémon whose genetic code was repeatedly recombined for research. It turned vicious as a result.
It was created by a scientist after years of horrific gene-splicing and DNA-engineering experiments.
What I've realized today is that some people think that the gene-splicing was done before Mewtwo's birth, in part because Fuji's journal says that he called the newborn Mewtwo rather than Mew. Initially this didn't convince me since "Mewtwo" could have been a nickname at first, but I do admit that it's a little hard to imagine that Mew changed so much after birth. What is more believable, however, is the possibility that Mewtwo was born as Éclair Forme. Not only would that explain the size and name, but it would also account for the fact that research was definitely being done post-birth, but not to the extent of transforming Mew into Mewtwo.

What I'm getting at is that Fuji took Éclair Forme from Faraway Island and that the horrific gene splicing was done in Kanto, resulting in Mewtwo becoming larger and fiercely dangerous. The extra genes, which could be embodied by the Berserk Gene, were the mistake. Interestingly, Éclair Forme doesn't have to be a result of artificial insemination or anything like that. It is possible that it is Mew's natural offspring, which wouldn't be surprising considering the sheer range of Mew's DNA.

The method to unlock Éclair Forme would be removing the Berserk Gene, but this wouldn't be accomplished by putting Mewtwo through more experiments. Instead, Mewtwo would need to be encouraged to willingly take out the gene. This would be no small feat, hopefully requiring multiple events as a pre-cursor to the final outcome. The Berserk Gene should stay in the player's bag as a means of switching between the Mewtwo Formes, with the implication that even the feral Forme has calmed down and isn't dangerous when under the player's care.

The Berserk Gene should be a key item, unlike in Generation II. Either it's in the player bag when Mewtwo is in its pacified state, or it's in Mewtwo's body when it is in its feral state. But there would also need to be another trigger to making Mewtwo take out the gene; that could be the original gene that was replaced. Perhaps it would be called the Clairvoyant Gene.

Last edited:
The new Mewto look-alike: Mewtwo forme or new pokemon altogether?

mewtwo_new_form.png

Since this seems to be the question the most people are divided on regarding the newest reveal, polling what everyone thinks would be neat. Do you think it's a new forme or a new pokemon, and why so? Some arguments for the forme are that it looks just like mewtwo and uses the same moves, while pokémon the official trailer speaks of a new pokemon. What do you think?

Personally I think it's a new forme as it just looks too much like Mewtwo, but who knows!

Re: The new Mewto look-alike: Mewtwo forme or new pokemon altogether?

I'm guessing it's a new Pokemon. My theory stems from the idea that Mewtwo is an imperfect copy of Mew. Say scientists decided to try again, this time more successfully and created a more powerful Pokemon based on Mew. This is why it looks similar to Mew/Mewtwo.

It could be Mewthree since that would be expected to look like Mewtwo.

According to Serebii, it's an "Eclaire" forme. He posted that on GameFAQs a while ago.

Either way, it'd be lovely if they attempted to clone Mew again and came up with a new Mewtwo. Conversely, remember new formes are always called "new pokemon" when they're first revealed.

I hope it's a completely new Pokemon because Mewtwo is an impressive, mighty Pokemon that deserves something better than this baby-like thing.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom