• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mewtwo's Role

Do you think the revealed Mewtwo look-alike is a Mewtwo forme or a new Pokémon?

• Total voters
Re: Mewtwo given out as a common gift Pokemon

Oh please. This is obviously exclusive to the demo; we've seen countless times before that demos are altered to simplify things.

Oh please. This is obviously exclusive to the demo; we've seen countless times before that demos are altered to simplify things.

I agree. But to those curious, this is what Genwunner is talking about.

vuzXIcb.jpg

You're Ui right? (Ui is the Player's name)
The Pokemon Mewtwo will draw even more of its sleeping power.
So, I will give you Mewtwo!
[Ui recieved Mewtwo!]

Zd0JWnb.jpg

Mewtwo has Mega Evolved! Surely this is its infinite potential, right?
[Not sure what he's saying here]
Well then, off you go! To the new Pokemon world!!

This doesn't sound natural at all. IT'S ONLY IN THE DEMO, PEOPLE.

Last edited:

...I think he was trolling...
Probably, but his post might mislead others.

I'm not trolling, I very much doubt they would go to all the efforts of programming stuff just for a demo and then not use it. I've heard before of Beta's where content is not in the final games, but surely if something is in a demo it is very nearly complete? I can't see them going to all the effort of programming that scene in, then removing it with less than 2 months to go. Also it does fit in with Nintendo's current stance towards the first generation, that it is to be retconned, and ridiculed.

I'm not trolling, I very much doubt they would go to all the efforts of programming stuff just for a demo and then not use it. I've heard before of Beta's where content is not in the final games, but surely if something is in a demo it is very nearly complete? I can't see them going to all the effort of programming that scene in, then removing it with less than 2 months to go. Also it does fit in with Nintendo's current stance towards the first generation, that it is to be retconned, and ridiculed.

There's no way this will actually happen in game. Demos are made to show off the game. They aren't to show the plot or anything like that. Just gameplay. ALL demos contain aspects that aren't in the final version, nor are they intended for said purpose.

There's no way this will actually happen in game. Demos are made to show off the game. They aren't to show the plot or anything like that. Just gameplay. ALL demos contain aspects that aren't in the final version, nor are they intended for said purpose.

Well I hope you're right, Mewtwo has already had a rough deal, if he was treated that way it would be just a right kick to the gut for me.

Can you think of any other examples where things have been in Pokemon demos but not in the final game just to put my mind at rest?

Yeh sorry Sycamore is definitely not going to give away a level 100 Mewtwo just after the start of the adventure for the sake of explaining Mega Evolutions.

Can you think of any other examples where things have been in Pokemon demos but not in the final game just to put my mind at rest?
The Diamond/Pearl demo had the player using a level 30 Lucario in Jubilife City. Also, the final sequence with Professor Rowan never happens in the games.

The demos all like this, really.

Yeh sorry Sycamore is definitely not going to give away a level 100 Mewtwo just after the start of the adventure for the sake of explaining Mega Evolutions.

It never mentioned it was the start of the adventure, to me it looked more like a Post game thing.

Also I think the new Pokemon that Red will meet for the first time, will be Charizard's Mega Evolution, you know just to really rub salt into the wounds. First they did it to Mewtwo, Charizard's next.

In the end of the Pokemon Origin clip it looks a bit like DNA Digivolution, but Charizard is glowing in Rainbow colours, which seem to be associated with mega evolution and it looks like that helix symbol briefly appears.

Also if Blaziken has a Mega Evo, I'm sure all starters will have them, they won't want to make it unbalanced.

It never mentioned it was the start of the adventure, to me it looked more like a Post game thing.

Also I think the new Pokemon that Red will meet for the first time, will be Charizard's Mega Evolution, you know just to really rub salt into the wounds. First they did it to Mewtwo, Charizard's next.

In the end of the Pokemon Origin clip it looks a bit like DNA Digivolution, but Charizard is glowing in Rainbow colours, which seem to be associated with mega evolution and it looks like that helix symbol briefly appears.

Also if Blaziken has a Mega Evo, I'm sure all starters will have them, they won't want to make it unbalanced.

But the reason for him giving you Mewtwo in this demo is to explain Mega Evolutions. So, if you say, they wouldn't go to all that effort into programming it in without it actually happening, then we either get a level 100 Mewtwo when all our Pokemon are all first stage and within the first half of gym badges, or at the very end which means Mega Evolutions only get explained after the adventure, which would be entirely redundant for the games and promotion.

Neither of these make any sense whatsoever.

But the reason for him giving you Mewtwo in this demo is to explain Mega Evolutions. So, if you say, they wouldn't go to all that effort into programming it in without it actually happening, then we either get a level 100 Mewtwo when all our Pokemon are all first stage and within the first half of gym badges, or at the very end which means Mega Evolutions only get explained after the adventure, which would be entirely redundant for the games and promotion.

Neither of these make any sense whatsoever.

After reading that and looking at the video the above poster it has put my mind to rest on this particular part. I think I just misunderstood what a Demo actually was in Pokemon terms, I thought it was a first chance to play the games, or part of the games, I didn't realise it was entirely new programmed stuff not in the story at all. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Pretty much all of them are just to show battles. DP demo, RS demo, BW demo. And this demo, too was just to show off Mega Evolution. All of them are like that. There's no way Sycamore is just going to give you a Lv100 Mewtwo that early in the game.

Well, since we have two Mewtwo evos that are version exclusive, they likely still could play a role in the plot. Looking at the physical appearances, Mega Mewtwo X/Y seem to be branching evolutionary paths Mewtwo takes in regards to its development (Fuji and what they did to it). Mewtwo X looks like the standard Mewtwo, with it gaining a Fighting type could play up the role it had as being genetically altered for that purpose, ie specifically for battle. Mewtwo Y on the other hand takes a more Mew-like appearance, and could reference how Mewtwo evolves when not being altered for battle, or evolving into what it could have been without the horrific gene splicing.

The only thing I wonder is why is the fiercer Mewtwo obtaining in Pokemon X (where Xerneas's life theme seems to fit Mew more) rather than Y? The alternate theory to this I had was Mewtwo X representing having more life and a fighting spirit as opposed to Mewtwo Y, but I think the above about divergent evolution paths based on it's genes probably makes more sense.

So... Mewtwo to return in SSB4 with one Mega evo as the final Smash in the Wii U version, and the other one in the 3DS version, anyone?

I'm thinking, are we sure the Mewtwonite X and Y are version exclusives?

Perhaps they are more similar to Ho-Oh and Lugia in GS, where one of them DOES get more focus in the story, for whatever, plot-related reasons. Yet the other will still be around.

If we stablish that both forms exist in the same setting, and that whichiever you get deppends on how the story goes in either version... I can see why X with Xerneas would get the "rough, fierce-looking" one, while Y with Yveltal gets the "smooth, spiritual-looking" one, for respective contrast.

As I said in another blog comment too, the appearance of these forms and perhaps the contrast with Xerneas and Yveltal does seem to play with the whole "Team Flare seeks a beautiful world" idea.
Mega Mewtwo X may as well be intentionally non-refined with a tacky design, while Mega Mewtwo Y does fit the "over-engineered aesthetic standards" of modern design.

You could only get both Lugia and Ho-Oh in the remakes, in the original they were exclusive.

You could only get both Lugia and Ho-Oh in the remakes, in the original they were exclusive.

No you could definitely get both in the originals. The wing of the the respective Pokemon opposite to the game your were playing was just given to you after you be the E4 and go to Kanto. IIRC you get it in or around pewter City.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom