• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

GO Microtransactions in Pokemon GO

It's possible that it works like Pokedex for iOS, where there are several one-time purchases of expansion content available, but no consistent payments for in-game currency or items (like in Pokemon Shuffle).

Please don't remind me of Pokédex for iOS. I'm still waiting for a Kalos expansion pack that is never going to come.

Please don't remind me of Pokédex for iOS. I'm still waiting for a Kalos expansion pack that is never going to come.
IIRC, they officially discontinued Pokedex for iOS recently, or announced that they're going to soon. I think it meant it was no longer going to be available on the app store.

IIRC, they officially discontinued Pokedex for iOS recently, or announced that they're going to soon. I think it meant it was no longer going to be available on the app store.
OH MY GOD, NO! :'( I SPENT $40 to fully purchase both the 3DS and iPod versions. WTF how dare they?

Micro transactions are gross, but only if it's required to play the game. Pokemon Shuffle and the other free-to-start swill on the 3DS have a gross use of micro transactions. It limits how long you are able to play, which ruins the game entirely, and having to pay a dollar each time you want to buy a single heart to play a game longer is absolutely absurd.

I would prefer they exclude these, or at least make it so ftp players are not at all hindered by not buying content.

Micro transactions are gross, but only if it's required to play the game. Pokemon Shuffle and the other free-to-start swill on the 3DS have a gross use of micro transactions. It limits how long you are able to play, which ruins the game entirely, and having to pay a dollar each time you want to buy a single heart to play a game longer is absolutely absurd.

I would prefer they exclude these, or at least make it so ftp players are not at all hindered by not buying content.
Gross use of microtransactions? I've beaten all the levels and got most events (I missed some because of a glitch with Nexus 5) without having to spend a single dime. God forbid they don't want you literally speeding through the game at once. The time limit is an artificial way to keep the game longer, but considering that you don't have to pay to play (or succeed) the criticism rings more of a complaint due to lack of immediate gratification.

The game isn't story driven, and its set up to be something you can quickly pick up and play if you're waiting for something (e.g., public transit). I'm not sure exactly what you're expecting. Its not as if you're trying to collect badges and then are forced to "rest" while walking through the middle of a route.

My personal opinion on microtransactions is that they're ok, IF what you're buying is possible to obtain without them (like the Poke-diamonds in Pokemon Rumble World being obtainable through missions, streetpass, etc.), what you're buying is purely cosmetic (like alternate skins in League of Legends), or what you're buying takes the spirit out of the game (No real example comes to mind but it's like buying levels in an RPG). Therefore, I will accept microtransactions in GO provided you can obtain what you're buying through some kind of in-game currency (like Pokeballs and stuff with in game money), they are cosmetic (alternate trainer skins, etc.), or you're not buying Pokemon (e.g. 99 cents for a Bagon).

I've never payed for microtransactions in anything, but I may be willing to for Go if the game's as good as I'm expecting and there's worthwhile content. Shuffle's system was absurd, I never bothered with Rumble World or Picross, and TCGO doesn't even have the option for gems available in the US (there's tournament tickets, but there's no point in paying real cash for those).

Considering that we're supposed to find Pokemon relatively easily, I don't think they'd make it so you're forced to pay for having a decent amount of Poke Balls. Although you'll probably have to pay if you want a surplus of them.

I don't see why people are moaning about in-app purchases/ micro transactions, etc.
It's like these people feel that Pokemon shouldn't earn money, like it's a charity or something.
Come on, Pokemon isn't a charity-- it doesn't have to provide entertainment to you for free. It's got to earn some money.

I can see myself spending a few bucks here and there for certain things if the game is worth it. I'm usually not a fan of being manipulated into paying microfees though, so I hope there's none of Shuffle's "You don't have to give us money but we're going to remind you every board that you can pay us"

As we don't have any good mobile Pokémon games to compare it to, has anyone played Ingress? Same developer and I'm wondering if the business model will be the same.

Microtransactions aren't bad per say, its when it becomes pay2win, macrotransactions or a pointless money grab that will cause me to vilify this game and want nothing to do with it ever again.

For the specialized pokeballs and battle items, but not something that could be attained in game.

Last edited:
Miitomo coins are fairly priced IMO, so if we see things like that in Pokemon Go, I imagine it will be similar.

There is a lot to be said in regards to in app purchases. Currently in the beta there is a daily log in bonus similar to how there is in Pokemon Shuffle. I'm hoping they stick with it. But you exchange coins for items. Not really sure yet if you can purchase more coins or only have the daily bonus given. It isn't implemented as of yet.

I think it'll just be cosmetic stuff, not anything important to the game itself. They'd want to draw people into it, not turn them away.

As it is right now, there's a decent amount of stuff in the in-game shop and cash is limited. So I think it's safe to say pokeballs will have a microtransaction component eventually.

So far I haven't had any need to use real money. It's pretty well balanced, and only pay to skip.

Personally, this is the kind of thing that can really get out of hand if I'm not paying attention (like buying lures and incenses). As a pre-med student living in the inferno of Miami not only do I not have time to wander around outside much, but it's too damn hot to do so. Therefore, the only feasible way I can catch pokemon is walking to class, and then after I enter the building I sit in the AC for about 45min to cool off before class starts, which is just enough time to drop a few lures on the three PokeStops right outside the science building and use an incense. ^^;;

As it is right now, there's a decent amount of stuff in the in-game shop and cash is limited. So I think it's safe to say pokeballs will have a microtransaction component eventually.
They're making decent money from what they have already--GO became the top grossing game on the app store in just a few days.

I've seen speculation elsewhere that the real monitization from this game could come from stores paying to become Pokespots/gyms since that would increase traffic. I've seen pictures of local businesses putting up signs like "Pokemon for paying customers only" or an even better strategy, giving discounts to GO players. I've seen another account where someone dropped a lure at a local bar that barely gets any business, and suddenly its full.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom