• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Midnight Storm - A VGC '19 Team (Sun Series)

SharKing

I won't bite... much.
Reaction score
So the November 2018 International Challenge was announced, and those who participate will receive a Shiny Tapu Lele. That was a prize enticing enough to get me to finally try out VGC battles - I could have just entered for the Lele and been content with that, but something in me wanted to give this a serious try, so I put together a team after doing some research on the current metagame, and tweaked it a little after trying it on Showdown.

This is my first attempt at a VGC team, and I've never been that good at teambuilding in the first place, but I wanted to share it anyway, so here it is!

kyogre.gif

Kyogre

Modest / Mystic Water / Drizzle
252 HP / 4 Defense / 252 Sp. Attack

Water Spout
Origin Pulse
Thunder
Protect

My favorite Legendary Pokémon in the series, and one of the best that VGC has to offer - its rain-boosted Water STABs are downright terrifying. Water Spout deals insane damage when Kyogre's at full HP - I've seen it KO a Dusk Mane Necrozma from full HP, even with the 75% spread modifier! Origin Pulse is a backup option for when Kyogre gets damaged. I decided to go with Thunder for coverage, mainly to answer opposing Kyogre and Tapu Fini. Protect is obvious, since Kyogre will be targeted a lot - it's also good for preserving its HP when Lunala's next to it and setting up Trick Room. The bulky build with a lack of Speed is indeed meant to take advantage of Trick Room and crush the opposing side with its brutal Water STABs.

lunala.gif

Lunala

Quiet / Weakness Policy / Shadow Shield
188 HP / 68 Defense / 252 Sp. Attack
IVs: 0 Speed

Moongeist Beam
Psyshock
Trick Room
Protect

The other restricted legendary 'mon I felt like using, mainly because I saw a lot of potential in using Trick Room with it, since it's very bulky (especially with Shadow Shield) and immune to Fake Out. Moongeist Beam and Psyshock are both powerful STABs, with Psyshock making Lunala a "mixed" attacker and also benefiting from Tapu Lele's Psychic Surge. Dark-type moves like Knock Off are common in VGC, especially with Incineroar dominating the format, and Ghost-type moves like Lunala's Moongeist Beam also pop up. That's what the Weakness Policy is for - if Lunala gets hit by one of those moves at full HP while it sets up Trick Room, not only will it survive with Shadow Shield, but it'll deal ferocious single-target damage while "outspeeding" practically everything!

ludicolo-f.gif

Ludicolo

Timid / Life Orb / Swift Swim
252 Sp. Attack / 4 Sp. Defense / 252 Speed

Grass Knot
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Fake Out

Arguably the best partner for Kyogre, and one of its better counters as well. Grass Knot is used almost exclusively to deal consistently high damage against Kyogre and Groudon, both of them highly prominent in VGC. Hydro Pump takes advantage of the rain, STAB, and Life Orb to deal good damage to a single target. Ice Beam obviously hits Grass-types and things like Zygarde. Fake Out is a staple in VGC and any Doubles metagame, shutting down a single target's attempt to do anything for a turn, whether it's by flinching them or forcing a Protect. With Swift Swim, Ludicolo is potentially the fastest Fake Out user in the metagame, preventing other Fake Out users from shutting down its partner.

incineroar.gif

Incineroar

Careful / Iapapa Berry / Intimidate
236 HP / 20 Attack / 4 Defense / 236 Sp. Defense / 12 Speed

Flare Blitz
Knock Off
Fake Out
U-turn

The King of VGC himself. Is anyone surprised to see Incineroar on this team, like, at all? Didn't think so. This beast can take a licking thanks to Intimidate and its special bulk, and from there, it provides tons of support. Flare Blitz is an obvious Fire STAB that deals with things like Kartana, Amoonguss, Ferrothorn, Solgaleo, DM Necrozma, the list goes on. Knock Off is amazing in the Sun Series, since there's no Mega Stones or Z-Crystals to worry about, and taking out a 50% berry is immensely helpful for KO'ing bulkier opponents. Fake Out is Fake Out, need I say more? Because Incineroar's slow, it can make use of a slow U-turn to get another 'mon safely on the field.

tapulele.gif

Tapu Lele

Timid / Choice Scarf / Psychic Surge
28 HP / 4 Defense / 252 Sp. Attack / 4 Sp. Defense / 220 Speed

Psychic
Moonblast
Dazzling Gleam
Thunder

Because I decided on using Lunala, I needed something to answer a huge threat named Yveltal, and that's mainly what Tapu Lele's here for. Psychic Surge shuts down that nasty birb's Sucker Punch, as well as Fake Out and other forms of priority, and also powers up Lele's own Psychic and Lunala's Psyshock. Moonblast and Dazzling Gleam deal single-target and spread damage, respectively, and serve to threaten Yveltal and Zygarde, among others. Thunder's there to deal with opposing Kyogre - I EV'd my Lele to speed-creep Choice Scarf Kyogre when Trick Room and opposing Tailwinds aren't active, so why not?

stakataka.gif

Stakataka

Lonely / Lum Berry / Beast Boost
252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Sp. Defense
IVs: 14 Defense / 0 Speed

Gyro Ball
Rock Slide
Trick Room
Protect

I needed a Steel-type to deal with Xerneas, and Stakataka fit right in with the Trick Room strategy I'd already decided on, so here it is. Gyro Ball hits like a truck thanks to Stakataka's high Attack and molasses Speed. Rock Slide hits both opponents, threatens Ho-Oh and Incineroar, and under Trick Room, potentially causes a lot of hax with its flinch chance. Once Trick Room is set and this thing gets at least one kill, it can snowball out of control thanks to Beast Boost raising its Attack. The Lum Berry is there to foil Spore, as well as things like random Scalds.

So, any thoughts on improving this team? Part of me is actually considering Tapu Koko over Lele, since it's practically guaranteed to kill Yveltal (Lele needs some chip damage to kill with Moonblast), outspeeds most opponents without needing a Scarf, boosts Kyogre's Thunder and shuts down Spore with its Electric Surge, and has an interesting disruption move in Sky Drop. However, I really like the way Psychic Surge shuts down priority (especially Fake Out), but maybe that's just me. I'm also contemplating Roar or Low Kick over U-turn on Incineroar.

Importable:
Kyogre @ Mystic Water
Ability: Drizzle
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Water Spout
- Origin Pulse
- Thunder
- Protect

Lunala @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Shadow Shield
EVs: 188 HP / 68 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Moongeist Beam
- Psyshock
- Trick Room
- Protect

Ludicolo (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Fake Out

Incineroar (M) @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 236 HP / 20 Atk / 4 Def / 236 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- U-turn

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 28 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder

Stakataka @ Lum Berry
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Lonely Nature
IVs: 14 Def / 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Rock Slide
- Trick Room
- Protect

I was wondering when you were going to post this after our battle on PS lol

Going to Start with Lele though. The Lele Yveltal matchup is generally 50-50. If it's not a bulky variation of Yveltal then Lele will generally defeat it. But there's quite a few with investments in HP/SpD that can counter Lele and one hit kill it with Knock off. It does limit it quite a bit without Sucker punch though.

Ogre is mostly standard minus the spout without much speed invest.

Lunala is standardish though i think I've seen bulkier ones lol.

Ludi is common for that purpose as well with the exception of being modest since it usually doesn't need as much speed invest to succeed.. It's even been used outside of rain for a faster fake out than Incineroar. Though there is usually more Sp defense invest lol. (mostly every Pokémon has Sp def invested on them because Xern lol)

Incineroar is Incineroar :p

And Stakataka is good. Though it may be a good idea to bluff the wide guard on it lol.

As for adding Koko it would be a better check to Yv but it opens the door to Sucker punch if Koko is already weak.. But as you said it does power up Ogre's thunder. I can't remember if it takes out Yv but it'll do a good chunk to it at the very least.

I'd go for either U-turn or Roar on Cini. Low kick does have its uses.. But in VGC 19 you're not really using it for damage lol.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I've got IRL stuff distracting me often, so it took me a while to post this. XD

As for the various EV spreads, I just looked at various common spreads on Pikalytics and chose what made sense to me from there - the only real "custom" thing I did was give Lele just enough Speed to outrun Scarf Kyogre. I had a feeling I needed more work in that area, so thanks for the ideas!

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom