• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mienshao...Do you like it?

MetroLSD

Where Are My Donuts?
Reaction score
I've seen many saying claiming the species to be forgettable, ugly, and to be the most useless fully evolved fighting type in the series. Does anyone here feel the same way

It's the namesake for my username here, so obviously, I adore it.

Edit: therefore, Don't talk smack about Mienshao! It saved my hide in White 2 and X, and
possibly in either Ultra Sun and/or Ultra Moon

Last edited:
I do like Mienshao, although I like Mienfoo's design is better (vaguely humanoid and animal, while Mienshao goes fully animal -- now I actually do prefer animal-based Pokemon designs to humanoid-based ones, but the shift in Mienshao's case was a little jarring. Albeit nowhere near the "DO NOT WANT" levels of a certain cat...).

Mienshao was quite useful to me back in Gen 5, though it was held back a little by its high level requirement (fun fact: the first time it reached that level, I lost the battle so it didn't evolve). U-turn Regenerator combo, plus Drain Punch and Aura Sphere. Plus the occasional un-itemed Acrobatics for fellow Fighting types.

I actually really like Mienshao, especially in the Pokémon Rumble series, mainly because it’s a speedy attacker with good offense and an excellent move in the form of the homing Aura Sphere. You have no idea how many times I’ve had my butt saved by Mienshao toys.

If there is something I hate about the species it’s the fact that Mienfoo evolves at a terribly high level, which is something shared with many Unova Pokémon. Truly a pity, because it makes it hard to train a Mienfoo in-game.

Overall, though, I feel it is quite underrated. Reckless High Jump Kick and Regenerator U-Turn are both very nice strategies.

Mienshao had a lovely design. I do prefer Conkeldurr from a competitive standpoint and it's my go-to Fighting-type, but Mienshao is lovely. I would love to breed one for a team I have in mind.

Forgettable? No. Ugly? No. "Most useless fully evolved Fighting-type in the seres?" HELL no. Mienshao has fantastic attack and is a hell of a lot faster than most Fighting-types, and is sitting pretty in UU, which is arguably a more fun tier to play than OU nowadays since the Tapus and Landorus-T aren't running around dominating everything (VGC2018 is looking pretty dire even compared to OU) and a lot of good, formerly OU Pokemon are more than viable there.

You want a an "ugly" or "useless" fully evolved Fighting type, try Hitmonchan or Primeape, lol

Mienfoo and Mienshao have a lot of good going for it. Moves, abilities, design, etc. If people consider it forgettable for any reason it's that because of the high evolution level and that they're found pretty late in most games they've appeared in.

Mienshao is easily my favourite pure Fighting-type Pokemon. I like the majority of mustelid Pokemon so this helps considerably. I also like the fact it is much faster than most Fighting-types and Regenerator and Reckless are both great on it. The only drawback is its unusually high evolutionary level, since Mienfoo is a pain to raise because it is both slow and frail. I'm really annoyed by the fact Conkeldurr, which is incredibly ugly and sluggish, has been outclassing Mienshao from the moment it was introduced.

Mienfoo and Mienshao have a lot of good going for it. Moves, abilities, design, etc. If people consider it forgettable for any reason it's that because of the high evolution level and that they're found pretty late in most games they've appeared in.

You're forgetting that in Pokemon X and Y, Mienfoo is catchable rather early on.

If people consider Mienshao forgettable for any reason it's that because of the high evolution level and that they're found pretty late in most games they've appeared in.
Not as forgettable as Jangmo-o. That thing evolves so damn fast relative to the levels you encounter it at it makes Caterpie cry.

Last edited:
Yes, I like Mienshao very much. It looks really elegant for its type, and I adore its animation. Its attacking prowess assures, or at least threatens, a knockout if it manages to go first, and this is not too far off considering its Speed stat. Its defenses are lackluster, but that is probably in place to balance out with the other stats. Mienshao is easily one of my favourite Fighting-type Pokémon, and I hope I actually get to own one in Y, Sun or Ultra Moon when I play them.

I would, if not for how high of a level it takes to evolve. It's cool otherwise, never used one though.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom