• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mindblowing thing i just noticed

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole idea seems pretty idiotic. By this reasoning, Gastly was meant to evolve into Voltorb (similar eyes and round shape), Dewgong was supposed to evolve into Dragonite (both have single horns and round heads), and Flareon was supposed to evolve into Arcanine (both red and very furry). See? Anyone can do this.

Last edited:
Just because something looks like it evolved from something doesn't mean that it actually did evolve from it.

Luvdisc and Mamanbou aren't related at all despite looking nearly identical

This whole idea seems pretty idiotic. By this reasoning, Gastly was meant to evolve into Voltorb (similar eyes and round shape), Dewgong was supposed to evolve into Dragonite (both have single horns and round heads), and Flareon was supposed to evolve into Arcanine (both red and very furry). See? Anyone can do this.

really? you think ghastly looks as similar to voltorb as venonat does to butterfree

get some glasses?

while it seems possible that butterfree and venonat were ate one point supposed to be switched in their evolution families, the V/Y shape thing probably has nothing to do with it...

I'm pretty sure this is true, I heard it on another site or something. But the thing I don't get is why Venomoth is purple, and Caterpie and Metapod are green (but Butterfree is also purple)? Also, why is it Venonat and Venomoth?

As the theory goes, Venomoth and Butterfree's names were switched around somehow.

Or that the inside of a Cloyster is a ghastly.

Finding such similarities is not hard at all.

really? you think ghastly looks as similar to voltorb as venonat does to butterfree

get some glasses?

It most certainly does, especially by the criteria you've set up (disregard color, size, logic, etc.). They have the same eyes. They're both round. They can both Explode. I see just as much evidence supporting Voltorb/Gastly as Venonat/Butterfree. And, as an added note, what proof - and by proof, I mean objective fact, going beyond "OMG VENONAT SO TOTALLY LOOKS LIKE BUTTERFREE LOL XD" - do you have that Game Freak even considered making Venonat evolve into Butterfree.

It most certainly does, especially by the criteria you've set up (disregard color, size, logic, etc.). They have the same eyes. They're both round. They can both Explode. I see just as much evidence supporting Voltorb/Gastly as Venonat/Butterfree. And, as an added note, what proof - and by proof, I mean objective fact, going beyond "OMG VENONAT SO TOTALLY LOOKS LIKE BUTTERFREE LOL XD" - do you have that Game Freak even considered making Venonat evolve into Butterfree.

well, venonat and butterfree ARE the same color. their eyes are the same, their noses are the same and have the same teeth things attatched to them, their antennas are the same, and in the same place....their hands are the exact same shape and are in the same place....and what proof besided OMG LOL VOLTORB AND GHASTLY ARE ROUND AND EXPLODE LOLOLOL XD do you have that Gamefreak DIDN'T consider it?

and how do you think voltorb and ghastly have the same eyes? ghastlys are half circles and voltorb's are triangles.....

well, venonat and butterfree ARE the same color.
But Metapod and Venomoth are not. That's supposed to be part of your argument, remember? That Venomoth was originally the final Stage of the Caterpie Line?
their eyes are the same, their noses are the same and have the same teeth things attatched to them, their antennas are the same, and in the same place....their hands are the exact same shape and are in the same place
As Ranger Jack Walker pointed out, it could also be said that Gastly was supposed to be a relative of the Shellder family: They all consist of Black spheres inside something purple; Shellder and Gastly both enjoy sticking out their tongues; Gastly and Cloyster have similar eyes; Gastly and Cloyster both appear to be leering at you. That's pretty much the same amount of "proof" you provided for Venonat/Butterfree.
....and what proof besided OMG LOL VOLTORB AND GHASTLY ARE ROUND AND EXPLODE LOLOLOL XD do you have that Gamefreak DIDN'T consider it?
...When exactly did I try to prove that Game Freak never considered Venonat/Butterfree with Voltorb/Gastly? Furthermore, I never claimed that I could prove GF DIDN'T consider Venonat/Butterfree, I merely asked you if you could prove that they did, which you subsequently failed to do. If you cannot objectively prove that they did consider Venonat/Butterfree, then it cannot be accepted as fact. Saying "You can't prove they didn't consider it" is not proof of Venonat/Butterfree's validity.

and how do you think voltorb and ghastly have the same eyes? ghastlys are half circles and voltorb's are triangles.....
They're both somewhat triangular and frowned. And, keep in mind, this resemblance exists outside of the rudimentary Red/Blue sprites, unlike your "Caterpie, Metapod and Venomoth are all Ys" assertion.

What Arc Blader is saying highlights the problem with this fandom. Rather than taking concrete evidence to support their arguments, all people do are make casual observations which can be made about many Pokemon. There have been many 'relations' brought up that have can easily be shot down such as Cubone/Kangaskhan or Trapinch/Charizard (both of which had their possible origins thoroughly examined). Yet, with the lack of any concrete arguments apart from "they look alike", fans fall back to the "you can't prove they didn't intend it to be so, therefore I am right" argument, when that very same argument can be reflected right back at them.

Let's look at this argument already. We've shown that "similar features" have applied through many unrelated Pokemon, yet Pokemon, both based off of insects having novel similarities is suddenly supposed to make them related? That's not grasping at straws?

Then, when the only piece of connecting evidence between Caterpie, Metapod and Venomoth had been refuted, the argument turns to "let's ignore that and look at this instead" when the entire premise of your argument was that all three had this V/Y shaped antenna.

Quite ironic when you used the same vague "connect the dots" argument to prove your point.

Yes, there are casual similarities between them, there are casual similarities between a lot of Pokemon.

Oh look, here's another Pokemon with Venonat-like eyes. Clearly the same eye type, the only difference is the shape to make Beedrill look more fierce.

yeah....cuz those were in the same game, they werent made a decade apart or anything

Yeah, and what's amazing is that they were made a decade apart, clearly have similarities, yet they didn't make it an evolution to Luvdisc despite the fact that they could have easily done it.

Yet, when two Pokemon within the same generation look moderately alike, they must have originally been intended to be related. But if they're from different generations,clearly not right?

Now, since we're playing "connect the dots", why not try connect Venomoth and Venonat?

Venomoth has the same pincer-like mouth that Venonat has, and in fact, its quite prominent on it, not like on Butterfree. Both of them are also purple.

Why would the creators even make Venomoth the evolution of Caterpie? That's what I like to know, Venomoth is based off a Moth, Butterfree is based off a Butterfly. Caterpie is based off a Caterpillar who turns into a Butterfly.

I can't remember if Moths in real life come from a cacoon and some other crawly though.

Why would the creators even make Venomoth the evolution of Caterpie? That's what I like to know, Venomoth is based off a Moth, Butterfree is based off a Butterfly. Caterpie is based off a Caterpillar who turns into a Butterfly.

I can't remember if Moths in real life come from a cacoon and some other crawly though.
Moths come from silkworms, and Caterpie shoots string silk.

But as the previous posters said, this is old even if slightly plausible, but it's like if I said Ditto was supposed to evolve into Grimer.

I'm pretty sure this is true, I heard it on another site or something. But the thing I don't get is why Venomoth is purple, and Caterpie and Metapod are green (but Butterfree is also purple)? Also, why is it Venonat and Venomoth?

Those are their English names. Their Japanese names are nothing alike--Venonat is コンパン Kongpang and Venomoth is モルフォン Morphon; the only character they share is 'n' ン. Metapod is トランセル Trancell. 'Trancell' and 'Morphon' share similarly themed names, and it may be argued that it makes more sense for the latter's name to refer to morphing out of a cocoon than for it to simply refer to morphing into a winged creature. Plus, look at the possible origin of 'Morphon'--a butterfly subfamily. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Venomoth_(Pokémon)

Mindblowing thing I just noticed.
Entei has a W shape on its head.
It must be an evolution of Metapod!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom