• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Misleading Moves

\/\Stormbolt100/\/

Reaction score
Hey everyone! You know how some moves seem like they can fit into more than one type (Blaze Kick seems like a Fire and Fighting move, Muddy Water seems like a water and ground type move)? What are some other moves that can fit into other types?

For me, Scald can also be a Fire move, and Magical Leaf can be a Ghost or Psychic type move.

Not sure if this is what your after, but I think Calm Mind should cure confusion.

To me it fits.

Well, I was saying what other type category do you think the move would fit it. For example, what other categories (types) can Calm Mind fit into? Do you think it can also be a Fighting type move? Or maybe you can imagine it as a dark type move?

Sorry, I know it's kinda confusing

Last edited:
Ahhh! Sorry I get you know...hmm...

Well I wouldn't have thought Detect would be Fight, I think it should be Psychic instead. But that is just me :)

All the elemental punches would be part Fighting-type.

Razor Wind should be a Flying type move. It just seems weird that it's Normal.
The same thing with Twister. Why is it Dragon-type?

Flash Cannon sounds more Electric to me than Steel.

Also, I've been lobbying this for years; MAKE STRENGTH A FIGHTING MOVE. It's like making Superpower or Close Combat Normal, jeez.

Ahhh! Sorry I get you know...hmm...

Well I wouldn't have thought Detect would be Fight, I think it should be Psychic instead. But that is just me :)

There you go! Lol, yeah I've sometimes questioned why detect is a Fighting-type move. By Gen IV though, I had a vague understanding of the move.

All the elemental punches would be part Fighting-type.

Yeah, I can see that. Almost every punching or kicking move can automatically be fighting type moves.

that makes sense

And what are your thoughts ? Are there any moves you have? Lol

Razor Wind should be a Flying type move. It just seems weird that it's Normal.

The same thing with Twister. Why is it Dragon-type?

Exactly!!!! How is Twister a Dragon-type move?! I have never understood it, and I probably won't ... I also agree with you on Razor Wind

I think all (SOMETHING) Fang moves should be dark type, as Bite and Crunch are Dark-Type moves and Biting is technically mean, and dark.

I also think Scald could fit as a Water/Fire type, and twister and Razor Wind should be Flying type, the same with all the elemental punches, part fighting type would make sense too.

I hope GameFreak implements Dual Type moves sometime in the future, however this would make it much easier for STAB for some Pokemon, technically over-powering a lot of them.

I hope GameFreak implements Dual Type moves sometime in the future, however this would make it much easier for STAB for some Pokemon, technically over-powering a lot of them.

Hm.. Well, dual-type moves seems like a good idea, however, it would make the type match-ups a bit harder to figure out.

I think all (SOMETHING) Fang moves should be dark type, as Bite and Crunch are Dark-Type moves and Biting is technically mean, and dark.

I also think Scald could fit as a Water/Fire type, and twister and Razor Wind should be Flying type, the same with all the elemental punches, part fighting type would make sense too.

Actually, there's a huge flaw with dual-typed moves. Say we have a Pokemon, say, Parasect. And there's a new move- Sky Blaze or something (I'm terrible at making up move names), which is an offensive Flying/Fire-type move. So this Pokemon uses Sky Blaze on Parasect. Since Fire and Flying both deal 4x damage on Parasect, you must calculate 4x4, or 4 squared (no, you don't just do 4x2) which is a whopping x16. And if the poor Parasect has Dry Skin, that already-astronomical multiplier jacks up to x20! And the little zombie bug will never see daylight again. No strategy, period, could help it defend against Sky Blaze. You can see why this is a bad idea, amirite?

Anyways, back on topic. That belongs in another thread. I agree with you on most counts. Strength should be Fighting-type, Razor Wind should become Flying-type, etc.

Splash. Its actually a one-hit KO that can kill any type if you use it 100 times in a row. It should be God-type.

^^^Awww, you don't have ANY opinions that hasn't been mentioned? :-(

I always used to think Faint Attack was a 1-hit KO move.

I never noticed that about Faint Attack, but I can see that lols

Interesting point on the fang attacks, I can somewhat understand/agree with that. I really agree with Scald being Fire-type. And it would be nice to see some dual type moves, but it might make matchups really complicated, as it was previously mentioned.

Well, for everyone talking about Faint Attack, the Japanese name is "Sneak Attack" so it wouldn't make sense for it to be a OHKO. Remember, because the names are Japanese first, that's what the move/ability/whatever is going to pertain to. Much like "Rough Skin" the Japanese name is Shark Skin, which is why it doesn't seem right that Druddigon has it. It is a Dragon, not a shark.

Whirlwind also seems like it should be a Flying type move, instead of Normal. I suppose this is because the Japanese name is "Blow Away" but that could still be like a bird flapping it's wings.

Why isn't Splash Water-type?

Also, Steel Wing should totally be Flying/Steel.

Actually, there's a huge flaw with dual-typed moves. Say we have a Pokemon, say, Parasect. And there's a new move- Sky Blaze or something (I'm terrible at making up move names), which is an offensive Flying/Fire-type move. So this Pokemon uses Sky Blaze on Parasect. Since Fire and Flying both deal 4x damage on Parasect, you must calculate 4x4, or 4 squared (no, you don't just do 4x2) which is a whopping x16. And if the poor Parasect has Dry Skin, that already-astronomical multiplier jacks up to x20! And the little zombie bug will never see daylight again. No strategy, period, could help it defend against Sky Blaze. You can see why this is a bad idea, amirite?

Other combinations that will result in this:

Muddy Water (Water/Ground) against a Magcargo.

uhh... any others? I know there are type rectangles all over the place, but I don't know whether there are any Pokémon with the respective types.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom