• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Misleading Moves

Just a little annoyance, but all the moves with the word "thunder" in them (Thunderwave, Thunderbolt, etc.) use lightning in the animation. Thunder is more of the sound. You don't see many people getting electrocuted from sound waves.

Oh! And another one: Barrage. Why is it Normal if only two Pokemon can learn it, both of which are Grass and Psychic. Wouldn't it make more sense to let Exeggcute and Exeggutor have a STAB move? Barrage should be Grass or Psychic. Although, Grass makes more sense, but still.

I wish Fire Spin was an entry hazard removing move like Rapid Spin. It also might confuse some newbies, I guess.

Just a little annoyance, but all the moves with the word "thunder" in them (Thunderwave, Thunderbolt, etc.) use lightning in the animation. Thunder is more of the sound. You don't see many people getting electrocuted from sound waves.

Hahaa, I see what you mean. As a matter of fact, is there any move that uses "Lightning" in its name? Lols, let me know if there is one.

Oh! And another one: Barrage. Why is it Normal if only two Pokemon can learn it, both of which are Grass and Psychic. Wouldn't it make more sense to let Exeggcute and Exeggutor have a STAB move? Barrage should be Grass or Psychic. Although, Grass makes more sense, but still.

True, true! The Exeggcute evo line would definitely be better off with a STAB and signature move. Hopefully in the next generation or so it'll change... :-/

I also don't get U-Turn. It's JP name is Round Trip, and that doesn't sound like a bug thing.

I'm not sure how the translation "Round-Trip" came about, but the Japanese name can also be read as "Dragonfly Return". That might shed some light on why it's Bug-type, and the fact that Yanma and Yanmega (which are based on dragonflies) can learn it naturally makes perfect sense with that translation.

I'm not sure how the translation "Round-Trip" came about, but the Japanese name can also be read as "Dragonfly Return". That might shed some light on why it's Bug-type, and the fact that Yanma and Yanmega (which are based on dragonflies) can learn it naturally makes perfect sense with that translation.

Oh! I didn't know about that translation. On the Bulbapedia page, it says that it's Round-Trip in Japanese.

That's one way to read the Japanese name, and perhaps the most "relevant" one to the English name. Of course, in pure kana form, it's possible to read some Japanese in many ways; "Dragonfly Return" seems the most logical to me.

Um, I didn't try to be too technical. I'm sorry if I offended anybody, I have another missleading move for you (to stay on topic), but I just wanted to say one more thing on the topic of Scald. When I thought of Scald, the first thing that popped into my mind was hydrothermal vents that are found both on land and under the sea. Another name for them is black smokers.

The water shooting out of these vents can reach over 400 degrees Celsius, at least the ones that shoot out at the bottom of the sea since saltwater is denser than freshwater. Water coming from these vents aren't heated in any way by the sun, or fire, but instead are heated by the earth's mantle.

I know this is a lot of nothing for just this one move and I know I'm thinking too much into it, but I'm just saying the first thing that popped into my mind.

Anyway after a long time reading my off-topic post here's my misleading moves:

Metal Claw, now I know there's nothing misleading in the name. I mean you are clawing something with a claw that is metal, or at least as hard as steel, but I find that the name of the move sounds too powerful for a move that only has 50 BP. I mean, it sounds like a cool move, but later on it's going to be replaced by another move that is stronger than 50 BP on my team.

Another misleading move would be Glare, that always sounded like a move than should be of the Dark-type move, or at least a Poison-type move. I mean glaring at your opponent and making them paralyzed (with fear) sounds kinda dark to me. It could also be the Ghost-type as it seems like what a ghost would do to a person.

The last misleading move I feel is Whirlwind, I mean it just sounds like a perfect Flying-type move to me. I know lots of Pokes that aren't of the flying type can learn it, but the move sounds like something something with wings would use.

it's not exactly misleading, and the idea behind the attack is that the Pokemon is supposedly throwing parts of itself at the enemy. In actuality, the 1st gen had a lot of shitty attacks, and most of them were normal types. I guess they just figured the competitive battling wouldn't grow to be as huge as it is now, so they mostly stuck to the single-player RPG aspect and thus a lot of gimmicky attacks to play around with (mostly of the Normal-type so said gimmicks could stick to the basics, I guess, though Dig, Fly, Solarbeam, and Submission seem to be exceptions to this). On the other hand, this is how we got such mainstays as "weak, but guaranteed to hit" (Swift), "weak, but always hits first" (Quick Attack), "powerful, but has recoil damage" (Take Down, Double-Edge, Submission), and "powerful, but needs to charge a turn" (Hyper Beam, Sky Attack, Solarbeam) to come about in the first place (or in Razor Wind's pathetic case, "average, but still needs to charge a turn"). And really, while it would make more sense to give STAB to an exclusive move, it is Tamatama's starting attack, and since most Pokemon start with a low-powered Normal-type move (again, this especially goes for gen 1), you can't really say it doesn't serve a purpose.

Last edited:
Boy, am I learning a few things in this thread.

Regarding Selfdestruct and Explosion, I think fire is also a suitable type for the moves due to their gaseous explosions and everything. But I can see that there's a reason to make them Normal types...otherwise the already powerful attacks would be twice as effective against types that are vulnerable to them.

flash and solar beam should be 'light' attacks
like solrock should be a light/rock insted of psychic/rock

Actually, there's a huge flaw with dual-typed moves. Say we have a Pokemon, say, Parasect. And there's a new move- Sky Blaze or something (I'm terrible at making up move names), which is an offensive Flying/Fire-type move. So this Pokemon uses Sky Blaze on Parasect. Since Fire and Flying both deal 4x damage on Parasect, you must calculate 4x4, or 4 squared (no, you don't just do 4x2) which is a whopping x16. And if the poor Parasect has Dry Skin, that already-astronomical multiplier jacks up to x20! And the little zombie bug will never see daylight again. No strategy, period, could help it defend against Sky Blaze. You can see why this is a bad idea, amirite?

Not entirely, there could be new Pokemon natures/abilities or defensive duel type moves, I think this could be a great way to move forward with Pokemon!

I always thought leaf blade should be steel as well, I guess it could be grass/steel!

Last edited:
I think Dual Type Attacks would just be too complicated. For most people, it's hard enough remembering the type match-ups, let alone squaring the match-ups. Or however much it will be multiplied.

Seriously though, this would det out of hand with multipliers.
fire/flying on paras @ dry skin. Max multiplier:

4x4(type)x1.25(dry skin)x1.5(sunny day)x1.5x1.5(dual stab)x1.5(blaze)x4x4(stat changes)x2(critical)x2(metronome)
This is 6480x damage(I think) which could further be increased to 8640@pure power.
That may be a problem with damage calculation.

Wait, why is Rage Powder a Bug move? Doesn't make sense. It has nothing to do with bugs. Why ain't it Normal?

EDIT: Woah, that's quite a calculation, Matt.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom