• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mispronounced Names in the Pokemon World That Annoy You

L-05308

Reaction score
I'm talking about people who are just too lazy to try and figure it out.
I'll give you a few examples:

Leavanny pronounced Lev-anny, now when this name was revealed I saw that it was coverd in leaves so I knew it was pronounced Leave-anny. Later when it appeared in a dub episode it turned out I was right.

Eeletrik and Eelektross pronounced simply El-ec-tric and El-ek-tross. For some reason people don't see that their are two Es at the begining of their name, with it spelling 'Eel' and being that they are based on eels and that a Pokemon is not likey to be called 'Electric', is to much to ask for people to work that out?

The one that makes me laught is Bisharp pronounced By-sharp. It evolves from Pawniard and its name is also a pun of a chest piece: Bishop. Therefore it is quite obviously pronounced Bish-arp.

Thease are different to names like Audino that can understandably be read as Aud-e-no rather than Aud-in-o and their'd be no indacation that the name was different. What other pokemon names get pronounced stupidly?

I don't think "people are just too lazy to try and figure it out", people just interpret things in different ways. Who's to say that the way you're pronouncing the names is correct? And, the dub is hardly reliable, I've heard Pidgeot pronounced as both Pidgee - ot and Pidg - ot.

I've heard people calling Arcanine "Arr-caynine", which I always thought was odd.

Last edited:
The word "Pokémon" itself. My brother deliberately pronounces it "POKEY-mon" just to piss me off, while my mother says "PEAU-kuh-mon" (yes, "PEAU", not "POH"), resulting from a combination of her slight accent and her scatterbrainedness.

Meanwhile, I once pronounced Jirachi as "jih-RAH-kee", or occasionally "jye-RAH-kee". I'm still known to pronounce Deoxys as "day-OCK-sis", much as I pronounce Arceus "ahr-KAY-us".

In the dub of the eighth Pokemon anime movie, Bonsly's name was pronounced as "Bons-lee" instead of "BONS−lie", losing all deceitful connotations with the name. It really got on my nerves like no other.

Well this type of thing doesn't always bother me that much in general, however there is one that really annoys me big time. In PBR (Pokemon Battle Revolution) the narrator for battles pronounces Raikou's name as "Rai-ku", which is completely wrong, as it's pronounced as "Rai-ko".

I'm sure many know of this already and it does mention it on Bulbapedia, but every time I hear him say this "Rai-ku" I grind my teeth XD

I used to be slightly thrown by Suicune because of the spelling. Both Raikou and Entei are pronounced according to Japanese rules, which gives you the impression that Suicune might also follow that pattern, and be pronounced Su-i-cu-ne, with the -ne as its own syllable.

Phione is the mispronunciation that I notice the most, though it's also kind of an excusable one, since the origin of that name is a little obscure.

Some kids I know would pronounce Kyogre as Kyo-gree and Groudon as Groo-don. I don't really understand how they got the latter wrong since its name is derived from ground.

I pronounced Sceptile as Skeptile until Ash got one in the Anime.

Gyarados' name. It's supposed to be "Gya-ra-dos" not "GARE-a-dos." Also, the name of the franchise itself. There's an acute accent over the "e" for a reason people, use it.

My friend told me he used to pronounce Kyogre's name Kyorge (as in gorge). To this day, neither of us know how that happened.

The one that probably annoys me the most is Charizard. Everyone I know pronounces it 'Charzard'.

Oh goodness, there's way to many for me.

I guess the absolute most annoying one is Scizor. I've heard so many people pronounce it "Sy-zor." It's supposed to be a pun on scissors, people.

Oh, there are so many, where to begin!! Most have been touched on here, but the one that continually drives me UP THE WALL like none other is when people say "Rai-koo" instead of "Rai-ko", even well after they are corrected. Add to the fact that it is so routinely mispronounced by the dub etc, I just shake my head because I can't understand why it's apparently THAT hard to get it right!

.....I used to call Raikou "Rai-cow".... I've learned now and any mispronounciations annoy me to know end. As do the infinite incorrect variation on Suicune. The worst I've heard is "soo-a-sign" (yes, that rhymes with suicide).

Sceptile as Skep-tile...

Oh, and until I heard the Japanese pronounciation, I always thought Kyogre(KAI-OGRE) was Kyo-gre (Kyo as in Kyoto)

I used to say "Skeptile" until recently actually when I realized I was wrong.. I still say Rayquaza wrong because I don't like the way its really said. When Platinum came out, I had preordered it and got a figurine with it. The guy at gamestop said Giratina wrong.. I don't remember how, but it annoyed me.

I agree with the person that said when "Pokemon" is pronounced wrong.. I've heard "Pokamon" "Pokeemon" "Pokeman".. It just irritates me soo much!

As a side note, I want to know how to say Deino and Zweilous are said! I have no idea how to say them.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom