• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mispronounced Names in the Pokemon World That Annoy You

Hm... the differences seem trivial to me. I never really noticed at all. :/

That's quite interesting, because as I said, I think it's quite noticeable. Maybe it depends on what language someone speaks? In some languages, stress, tone, vowel length and pitch are quite important, as they are used to convey meaning, and you can change the mening of a sentence by merely stressing some syllables in a different way. I think that there is an African language in which the only difference between the sentences "He guards the river bank" and "He cooks his mother-in-law" is which syllables you stress. In my native language, we use both tones, stress, vowel length and pitch to convey meaning, while in other languages (eg English), this is not the case, and stress is only used to emphasize. On the other hand, we don't have the voiced s sound, so to me, the difference between eyes and ice or peas and peace is quite difficult to hear if I don't concentrate and listen for it, and I only noticed that they are pronounced differently when someone pointed it out to me. I don't know what your native language is, but maybe what language someone speaks may affect what aspects of pronounciation they notice?

I have always pronounced Blastoise the way that the anime did, mostly because that's how most people learn how the names are pronounced. I do, however, think it's stupid. Why? Because the name is so blatantly based on the word Tortoise(Torr-tuss), but said completely different. Granted, addressing the Pokemon as "Blass-tuss" is ludicrous.

Just thought I'd put that out there.

That's quite interesting, because as I said, I think it's quite noticeable. Maybe it depends on what language someone speaks? In some languages, stress, tone, vowel length and pitch are quite important, as they are used to convey meaning, and you can change the mening of a sentence by merely stressing some syllables in a different way. I think that there is an African language in which the only difference between the sentences "He guards the river bank" and "He cooks his mother-in-law" is which syllables you stress. In my native language, we use both tones, stress, vowel length and pitch to convey meaning, while in other languages (eg English), this is not the case, and stress is only used to emphasize. On the other hand, we don't have the voiced s sound, so to me, the difference between eyes and ice or peas and peace is quite difficult to hear if I don't concentrate and listen for it, and I only noticed that they are pronounced differently when someone pointed it out to me. I don't know what your native language is, but maybe what language someone speaks may affect what aspects of pronunciation they notice?

I speak English, so really minor differences between tone and stress tend to not make much of a difference in most cases. Meaning doesn't seem to rely much on little differences. Just wondering, but what's your native language?

Not any Pokémon in particular, but Pokémon in general. I hate It when someone pronounces it "Pokeymans". It makes me want to throw whatever I'm holding at them. It's a basic pronunciation, why did you have to find a way to butcher it? Sadly, it's all too common where I live.

You know what's classic but never gets over with the wrong one?

Pronouncing Groudon with GRO sounds like Grow rather than on the word Growl.

Also, saying Kyogre with KEY-oh-gre rather than KAI-oh-gre.

I think my head was boiled everytime people saying this.

I've heard Mantyke being pronounced as Man-teek which really annoys me.
I've heard Bulbasaur as Bulb-A-saur with emphasis on the A, which is weird.
I've heard Lucario said like Luck-areo which I don't understand, to be honest.

Well this type of thing doesn't always bother me that much in general, however there is one that really annoys me big time. In PBR (Pokemon Battle Revolution) the narrator for battles pronounces Raikou's name as "Rai-ku", which is completely wrong, as it's pronounced as "Rai-ko".

I'm sure many know of this already and it does mention it on Bulbapedia, but every time I hear him say this "Rai-ku" I grind my teeth XD

that's because the anime (ironic, since the OP claims it got Levanny right) pronounced it that way (specifically in The Legend of Thunder Special)

I only found out yesterday that there are some people who mispronounce the entire Deino line, even though the German numeral naming system is obvious.

I pronounced Deoxys, Kyogre, and Groudon's names incorrectly for the longest time.

It's really strange. I've always pronounced Vivillon as "vivi-yon" which according to you all is correct. The thing is I have no knowledge of French, and I have never heard the name from any source. So how the the bloody heck did I stumble onto the correct pronunciation on my own? So very strange...

Also: I still say Suicune wrong. I've been saying "soos-i-nine" since gen 2 which you all may notice isn't even close, but unfortunately it's so ingrained at this point that whenever I try to correct myself, I'll always revert back to the incorrect version.

Gyarados as Gear-e-uh-dos. That pronunciation honestly makes no sense.

Kyurem as Kye-ruem. Check the spelling, please!

I am, however, guilty of mispronouncing I Reshiram as Resh-e-ram. I think that pronunciation sounds better than the official one.

The strangest pronunciation I've heard was someone pronouncing Kyogre as "Kye-orgy". XDD

Hm... which ones have I not seen mentioned yet here that I struggle with...

I know before Aiding The Enemy! aired, I firmly believed Grotle was pronounced with a long 'o', as in Grow-tle. I can see where the official 'Grott-le' comes from (grotto) but considering Turtwig's main motif was a leaf and its final form is a huge fuck-off tortoise, "grow" seemed more appropriate to me.

The dub LOVES to be inconsistent with Ariados. I know Dawn's stuck on the 'Air-y-a-dohs' pronunciation, and most others use 'Ah-ri-ah-dohs', but it's funny and annoying seeing both pronunciations thrown about like that.

I was pretty miffed with Mismagius' official pronunciation. 'Miss-maj-ee-us' just flowed off the tongue so much better to me and it felt like it made more sense. Mismagius has a clear witch/mage inspiration (thusly, a magic motif) and saying the name with a hard 'g' just felt all kinds of wrong.

Really hated Deino being pronounced as "Dee-noh", too. Don't wanna be reminded of The Flintstones when I see that li' thing. And I was shamefully an 'Ar-see-us' person, too.

But beyond the most annoying thing was Raikou being 'Rye-KOO'. Never could call it that.

I think most of this is about me opposing the official pronunciations than just plain getting them wrong and being in the right here, heh. XD

The most irritating one I've heard was Suicune as ['su:ʃaɪn] (soo-shine). I have no idea where they got that pronunciation from...

All the pokefans in my grade used to call Suicune "Soo-i-cine." It wasn't a joke, we actually thought is was pronounced that way. Also, back in fourth grade, a few of them intentionally mispronounced Rapidash. No one but them found it funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRM0-FT0tUA

The Pokerap with all the pokemon is pretty funny and listening to that. I find laughing over some of the names I have been saying wrong for years.

Even in that, there are a few that were mispronounced. Aegislash is "AY-gee-slash," with a hard G, not "Ai-jis-slash."

And there's been some pretty awful mispronunciations even in the actual Pokerap from the show. I remember them saying "Groo-don" and "Kee-oh-gurr-eh" for Groudon and Kyogre.

Hell, the word "Pokemon" itself almost never gets pronounced right. It's not "po-KEE-mon," not "pok-uh-mon," it's "po-KAY-mon."

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom