• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mispronounced Names in the Pokemon World That Annoy You

I was pretty miffed with Mismagius' official pronunciation. 'Miss-maj-ee-us' just flowed off the tongue so much better to me and it felt like it made more sense. Mismagius has a clear witch/mage inspiration (thusly, a magic motif) and saying the name with a hard 'g' just felt all kinds of wrong.

In Pokepark Wii (the first one) Mismagius pronounces its own name with a soft G (a J sound)

"Wartortoise" for Wartortle (and occasionally Blastoise). That's another one I just don't understand.

I have an aunt who consistently says "Poh-kee-man." Makes my ears feel like they might start bleeding every time!

YES. I hate that too! First of all "po-kee" reminds me of the Hokey-Pokey and secondly where did "man" come from? They are clearly not human!:eek:hdear:

I have an aunt who consistently says "Poh-kee-man." Makes my ears feel like they might start bleeding every time!

YES. I hate that too! First of all "po-kee" reminds me of the Hokey-Pokey and secondly where did "man" come from? They are clearly not human!:eek:hdear:
My grandmother calls them Poh-Kuh-Mans. Sometimes she says mon, but not often.

a friend of mine from school argued with me that the "izard" charizard was pronounced like 'lizard'. so like... char-IZZERD as opposed to "CHAR-i-ZARD"? i don't know, it was very annoying considering she only ever watched the anime as a little kid and still thought i was wrong!

Young Winter Rain pronunciations of Pokemon:

Skarmory- Scar-more-ee
Corsola- Core-soul-uh
Suicune- Soo-uh-scene (I have no idea how)
Kyogre- Kai-gore (No idea)
Groudon- Groo-don

More recent mispronunciations:

Meinshao- Main-shao (Like Chow Mein, though people have argued that it's me-in-shao...I like my pronunciation better)
Garbador- Gar-ba-door( Not Gar-bo-dor)

But yeah, I'm not ashamed of my mispronunciation of Meinshao.

Arceus is pronounced with a k instead of an s? I still prefer the wrong version, it flows a lot better.

There really aren't any notable Pokémon mispronunciations that annoy me. However, I'm actually more likely to mispronounce many Pokémon names myself. In my earliest days of playing Pokémon, I mispronounced certain Pokémon names repeatedly. Among them were:
Pidgeotto - "Pidgetto", as in "Gepetto"
Pidgeot - "Pidgit"
Psyduck - "Pisyduck" (no kidding!)
Machop - "Maychop"
Alakazam - "Alkazam" (as in Alka-Seltzer)
Rattata - "Ratta"
Raticate - "Ratice"
Ekans - "E-cans"

It's a personal thing, but I pronounce 'Bouffalant' as if it's a French word rather than how it's supposed to be pronounced.

This might not count, but I'm fond of saying Diancie as "Dai-ahn-see", like how the dub has it.

"Rye-koo" always bothered me, because I've constatly heard people say it like this, when it should be "Rye-koh".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRM0-FT0tUA

The Pokerap with all the pokemon is pretty funny and listening to that. I find laughing over some of the names I have been saying wrong for years.
That's a fan-made Pokérap and you should be laughing at it as it's filled with mispronounced Pokémon names.

Last edited:
To this day, I'm unsure whether it's pronounced Ki-O-Gray, Kee-O-Gray, Ki-O-Gur, Kee-O-Gur, or what. I prefer the second pronunciation myself though.

Sceptile is mispronounced "Skep-tile" when it is actually called "Sep-tile".

TIL: I’ve been pronouncing Sceptile wrong this whole time. I have always pronounced it as Skeptile.
Anyway there aren’t really any mispronounced names that annoy me, but here a few I have pronounced wrong over the years.

Virizion – Vai-rai-zon
Cobalion – Cobah-LION (like the animal)
Terrakion – Te-rah-KEE-on
Kyogre – KAI-oh-gree
Kyurem – Kai-YOU-rem
Suicune – Sue-coon
Vivillon – I pronounce it how it’s spelt, even though the L’s are silent.
Ekans – Ee-kans
Reshiram – Ree-SHY-ram
Groudon – GROO-don
Umbreon – Umber-ron
Vaporeon - Vay-PREE-on – For some reason I didn’t see the ‘o’. I was really stupid.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom