• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mispronounced Names in the Pokemon World That Annoy You

This has always annoyed me, but I don't think a lot of people see it as a problem. I can never really remember how to pronounce "Altaria." I keep switching between "al-TEAR-ee-ah," "al-TAR-ee-ah," and "AL-tear-ee-ah," and it's irritating.

It's ArK-e-us, not Ar-see-us

And yet how they pronounced rattata really annoyed me too

It's ArK-e-us, not Ar-see-us

And yet how they pronounced rattata really annoyed me too
battle revolution says it the latter way though, but the stadium games are never a good way to judge it (char-A-zard? dusk-no-r? yeah right)

The one that gets one my nerves is not a pokemon, but the word pokemon.
gamestop commercials pronounce it po-cah-mon and have been since diamond and pearl.
they also called hoenn a "new" reigon full of "new" pokemon in their store promotions for ORAS...
what.

A friend of mine always - ALWAYS - pronounces Pokémon names based on what he first thought the pronunciaton was supposed to be. Even if he later learns the correct pronunciation, he still uses an incorrect one. The one entry of his Pokéxicon which sticks in my mind is Snivy, which he pronounces as (SNIV-ee) instead of (SNY-vee).

As for the Legendary Beasts, I first heard their names pronounced as (EN-tye), (RY-koo) and (SOO-chin). This was in 2000, shortly after the Gen II games came out, and I didn't have my own copy of either until my birthday about a week or two later. Anyway, when I encountered them in my copy of Silver Version and read their names for myself, I realised how their names should be pronounced (thanks to my apparently-natural Japanese language skills): Raikou was (RYE-koh), Entei was (EN-tay) and Suicune was... (SOO-uh-KOON). Look, nobody's perfect, okay? :p

The ones that get on my nerves are Xerneas and Yveltal. Nintendo straight up gave us pronunciations for these two when the names were revealed, there's just no excuse for getting these two wrong...

A recent thing which has slightly bugged me is people mispronouncing Magearna's name. Rather than saying it with a hard "G" as in "Gust", most of them pronounce it with a soft "G" like in "Genesect". The hard-soft G pronunciation thing extends to most words, however. I have a condition which used to be called Asperger's Syndrome, which is pronounced with a long "S" and a hard "G" (AS-pur-gurs), but a number of other people I've met - including, ironically, most other Aspies - tend to say it with a short "S" and a soft "G" (as-PUR-jers). That, to me, sounds wrong in more ways than one. :unsure:

Kabuto..It really gets to me how Nintendo Of America/TPCi/4Kids mispronounces Kabuto...

Kabuto..It really gets to me how Nintendo Of America/TPCi/4Kids mispronounces Kabuto...
I know what you mean. What annoys me about it is that Pokédex 3D Pro pronounces Kabuto as [kuh-BOO-toh], with the emphasis on the "bu"; yet it pronounces Kabutops as [KAH-boo-tops], with emphasis on the "Ka". Which is it, Pokédex 3D Pro?

Not really a Pokémon name, per say, but Chuggaaconroy was pronouncing Canalave as "KAHN-ah-LAHV-ay." Thankfully, several of his viewers (myself included) brought it to his attention and he corrected himself. And thank goodness, I was mentally wincing every time he said it.

Gyarados as GEAR-ee-uh-dose. I don't know why, but I've heard several people pronounce it like that.

On that note, Kyurem as KYE-room.

So Axew is (AKS-yoo), and Haxorus is (HAKS-or-uss). Why, then, do a few people break the mould* with Fraxure's name? I don't even know if it's (FRAKS-yer), which fits the theme, or (FRAKSH-er), which is what I often hear, but there isn't any way that "ax" should be able to make an "acksh" sound in the English language...right?

For that matter, we have Deino (DYE-noh), Zweilous (ZVYE-luss) and Hydreigon (hy-DRYE-gn), so why do I hear people say Deino (DEE-noh), Hydreigon (HY-dra-gon) and Zweilous (I can't even break down how I hear people pronounce it) all the time?!

While we're at it (apologies in advance), I used to pronounce Uxie as (UX-ee) before I learned it was...(OOKS-ee)? (YOOKS-ee)? (NYE-roo)?! How are you supposed to pronounce the name of the embodiment of knowledge? (n)

*Another pun I didn't intend to make... :confused:

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom