• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mispronounced Names in the Pokemon World That Annoy You

English speakers - particularly english English speakers - are among the laziest I can think of when it comes to pronouncing foreign words but in fairness I'm really struggling to think of another pokémon whose English name is specifically pronounced in a foreign way.

Well, maybe not foreign per say is another Kalos mon: Flabébé, which I hear far too often as Fla-BEE-bee. It's like, they have accent marks! What more do they need to do?

I'm sure somebody mentioned these already.....

Pronouncing Lugia as Lu-jee-ah instead of Lu-gee-ah. I just can't stand it.

The pronunciation of Arceus in the movie... It's with an "s" (soft C) sound goddamit! Why the fudge did they make it into a "K" sound? WHY? They even used the former in the trailer, and then they changed it in the actual movie?! WHY?!
In fact, there were THREE pronounciations for his English name, and TWO of them (that were used for the trailers) used the "s" sound (Ar-see-iss and Ar-say-uss), and yet they CHANGED IT IN THE MOVIE. It even LOOKS LIKE IT SHOULD BE PRONOUNCED WITH A SOFT C. WHY?!!??!?!
[/rant]

The pronunciation of Arceus in the movie... It's with an "s" (soft C) sound goddamit! Why the fudge did they make it into a "K" sound? WHY? They even used the former in the trailer, and then they changed it in the actual movie?! WHY?!
In fact, there were THREE pronounciations for his English name, and TWO of them (that were used for the trailers) used the "s" sound (Ar-see-iss and Ar-say-uss), and yet they CHANGED IT IN THE MOVIE. It even LOOKS LIKE IT SHOULD BE PRONOUNCED WITH A SOFT C. WHY?!!??!?!
[/rant]
As I said before, Arceus' name is Latin-influenced. In Latin, "c"s are almost always hard. Properly, the name should be pronounced "Ar-Kay-Oos" to align itself with Latin pronunciation conventions.

As I said before, Arceus' name is Latin-influenced. In Latin, "c"s are almost always hard. Properly, the name should be pronounced "Ar-Kay-Oos" to align itself with Latin pronunciation conventions.

Then why is it pronounced with the soft C sound in Japanese? Why did they even spell it with a "C" in the first place, why not a "k"? And, even in the movie it isn't pronounced "Ar-Kay-Oos", it's pronounced "Ar-Key-Iss", why? If they wanted to better align it with the its Latin origins, why didn't they use your pronunciation? WHY GODDAMIT?!?!
[/rant]

Then why is it pronounced with the soft C sound in Japanese? Why did they even spell it with a "C" in the first place, why not a "k"? And, even in the movie it isn't pronounced "Ar-Kay-Oos", it's pronounced "Ar-Key-Iss", why? If they wanted to better align it with the its Latin origins, why didn't they use your pronunciation? WHY GODDAMIT?!?!
[/rant]
People get Latin wrong all the time. "Caesar" should be pronounced "kaiser" but most people say "see-zer," for instance. While "Oos" would be more correct than "Iss," using a hard "c" is still more correct than a soft one, going by Latin conventions.

What really irked me is when in the anime, in BW to be precise, they started to pronounce Mantine as Manteen, when they had always pronounced it as Mantyne in the oiginal series :/ the latter makes much more sense to me, and was how I had always pronounced it.

[/rant]

^^^^^This. When in your language the letter C is always pronounced like an S or Z when it's before an E, it's hard to remember that Arceus is officially pronounced like a K. I've always pronounced it as "ar-SEE-oos" or "ar-SEH-oos" in my native language.

[/rant]

^^^^^This. When in your language the letter C is always pronounced like an S or Z when it's before an E, it's hard to remember that Arceus is officially pronounced like a K. I've always pronounced it as "ar-SEE-oos" or "ar-SEH-oos" in my native language.

I think it is an S, but it would have been nice with a K sound. Perhaps they should have used a K sound and spelt it Archeus, if it's not mixed up with Archeos. What language is C pronounced as a K in this case?

Hmm, I looked this up. While S is the correct pronunciation, it has been K sometimes in English media to avoid the word 'arse' in the name.

Probably also because it sounds more like 'arc' then
Because Arceus has arcs

I always pronounced it as 'Ar-key-us' by the way, because of the Latin origin of the name and I think it just sounds better.
In Latin, the c was almost always pronounced as a k
Caesar is pronounced 'Kai-sar' instead of 'See-sar' for instance
Arceus' name partly comes from the Latin word 'deus' (day-oos), meaning god, which is partly why I'm inclined to see the k sound for the c as the correct sound

Edit: I now see that Beausoleil has explained the Latin part already.
Hm

Okay, it's perhaps an error by Game Freak. Well, I guess people use both pronunciations. According to Bulbapedia, the Latin word may be 'arcanus' (oops, another 'arse' word!). I wonder how GF could make a mistake on that one; it's followed by an 'a'.

For a time, I thought Arceus was based on the name Zeus, and that's why it was an S, though it should have been a Z in that case.

Haha, when we were kids, me, my brother and my two neighbours called Gyarados "Jy-ra-dos", as in the word "gyro". We all missed that pesky little a in between the y and r. I also knew someone who said "Warturtle", and when I told him that it was an o instead of a u, it blew his mind. "But Warturtle sounds cooler!" It kinda does.

I was playing Pokemon Stadium recently, and one thing that stood out was the announcer pronouncing Ekans as "Eekans", similar to the word "eat." I am not one to make such a fuss over mispronunciations, but this was particularly grating to hear. It's funny, because I think the announcer also did voice work in the anime (the first voice of James) and pronounced the word Ekans like it should of been pronounced. It's just.. odd.

I have a major one: "Pokeemon".

Seriously, people, there's an accent over the vowel for a reason, learn some French.

Pooch-y-en-a and Might-y-en-a. Should be Pooch-y-ee-na and Might-y-ee-na. Seeing as they get their names from the animal Hyena, Hy-ee-na.

I was playing Pokemon Stadium recently, and one thing that stood out was the announcer pronouncing Ekans as "Eekans", similar to the word "eat." I am not one to make such a fuss over mispronunciations, but this was particularly grating to hear. It's funny, because I think the announcer also did voice work in the anime (the first voice of James) and pronounced the word Ekans like it should of been pronounced. It's just.. odd.

The announcer. Oh god that announcer. It's like that for all those games. In Battle Revolution about half of the names are mispronounced in some way and the option to turn the guy off couldn't be more welcome.

I am Turkish and the turkish dub of the anime was pronouncing almost everything wrong. Here are some:

Gengar as jen-jar (like in Jenny) or even jin-jar. Also they were pronouncing mew and mewtwo with a v, instead of a. And I am not sure but Ivysaur was something like "I-was-ar". Shouldn't it be like ivy and saur ( as in dinosaur)

Going to second what Jimlaad43, I hate it when people cannot pronounce the 'yena names.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom