• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mispronounced Names in the Pokemon World That Annoy You

I sometimes call Tropius 'Troph-ius' by accident even though there isn't a 'h' in it. But I get annoyed when people call Ho-Oh 'Hoo-ooh', and when people call Regice 'Regi-ice​'.

How do you pronounce Regice? I thought its English name was the same as the Japense one.
I pronounce it 'Reg-ice', as that makes more sense to me than 'Regi-ice'.

I sometimes call Tropius 'Troph-ius' by accident even though there isn't a 'h' in it. But I get annoyed when people call Ho-Oh 'Hoo-ooh', and when people call Regice 'Regi-ice​'.

How do you pronounce Regice? I thought its English name was the same as the Japense one.
I pronounce it 'Reg-ice', as that makes more sense to me than 'Regi-ice'.

The only problem is that it sticks out from the other two.

Well this type of thing doesn't always bother me that much in general, however there is one that really annoys me big time. In PBR (Pokemon Battle Revolution) the narrator for battles pronounces Raikou's name as "Rai-ku", which is completely wrong, as it's pronounced as "Rai-ko".

I'm sure many know of this already and it does mention it on Bulbapedia, but every time I hear him say this "Rai-ku" I grind my teeth XD

I was guilty of this for a long time until I read the article on Bulbapedia. However what really ticks me off is how the announcer in Pokemon Stadium pronounces Raichu "Ray-chu". It's almost as if Nintendo was trying to troll its customers...

I used to pronounce Phanpy Phan-a-py.

Also, was my brain being lazy and reading it wrong., but I used to call Tropius Tropicus, with a C. IMO it sounds better.

I don't really like it when people say "Ill-oo-mise" or "Ill-oo-miss" or "Ill-you-mise". If I'm correct, it's "Ill-oo-me-zay/say", as said in the anime.

oh man EVER PERSON READING THIS PROBABLY SAID THIS WRONG. espeon it's not es-p-on its not joking i found this out e-s-p-on referring to esp

The one Ive heard the most was Dialga...
They said it DYE-al-ga, but its supposed to be dee-AL-ga

People pronouncing Arceus with a hard c (looking at you Pokemon anime dub). In Japanese it's pronounced with a soft c (which is also obvious in the romanisation) and the name is the same in English, I don't know how TPCi made that mistake.

People pronouncing Arceus with a hard c (looking at you Pokemon anime dub). In Japanese it's pronounced with a soft c (which is also obvious in the romanisation) and the name is the same in English, I don't know how TPCi made that mistake.

I pronounce it with a hard c because Arceus is a very clearly Latin-influenced name, meaning that in proper Latin it would be pronounced "Ar-Kay-Oos," which is how I pronounce it.

Um, my dad consistently mispronounces SOO many right after hearing me say them. The most common one is probably when he says 'Pokemons', but the other annoying one is when he pronounces Eevee 'Eye-vie.'

LONG ES, DAD. IT'S NOT THAT HARD. ONE OF THE EASIEST POKÉMON TO PRONOUNCE.

I pronounce it with a hard c because Arceus is a very clearly Latin-influenced name, meaning that in proper Latin it would be pronounced "Ar-Kay-Oos," which is how I pronounce it.

I suppose that is true, I generally think of the Japanese pronunciation as being the "correct" one when the names are the same, but I guess it's possible for the English to be based on a more correct etymology.

I suppose that is true, I generally think of the Japanese pronunciation as being the "correct" one when the names are the same, but I guess it's possible for the English to be based on a more correct etymology.
I took a semester of Latin, and ever since I've been kind of a stickler for proper Latin pronunciation, haha.

Gyarados > Ga-ree-dowse???

NOOO. Gy-ara-doss is how it should be pronounced.

I also hate Ariados' Anime pronounciation. Or-e-a-dowse? How about Ar-i-a-doss

I also hate Ariados' Anime pronounciation. Or-e-a-dowse? How about Ar-i-a-doss

The latter is correct, since it ends the same as Gyarados. ドス is pronounced 'doss', like you said. Alternative is 'dosu'.

The former sounds like it should have been spelt Auriadose.

As of recently, it's Vivillion (VIH-vee-yon) being pronounced like VIH-vi-lon. Annoys the hell out of me. I get that a lot of people obviously can't read Japanese (which is written with the correct pronunciation) or studied any other foreign language for that matter, like French or Spanish (which both make the double L sound like Y), but it's just so obviously pronounced VIH-vee-yon (Admittedly, I normally say: Vih-VEE-yon) that I just get irritated that damn near everyone calls it VIH-vi-lon.

Rayquaza being pronounced Ray-QWAH-zah. I've always said Ray-QUAY-zuh and that's how it's officially pronounced, and I've never hear it pronounced Ray-QWAH-zah, so I can only assume, again, people just read it and never bother to correct it. Although, this one is more understandable and it doesn't really bother me all that much. I just find it odd that I never hear Ray-QUAY-zuh.

Then there's the more minor, but still annoying: BYE-sharp for Bisharp (really?) and VUL-i-bee for Vullaby (come on, isn't this one obvious?). I get most of these happen with newer Pokemon that people can't say because they don't watch the Anime anymore, but it's still just a bit irritating to hear some of what I consider "the easier ones" being pronounced so wrong.

I have read on this forum that Hydreigon is supposedly pronounced Hy-dragon in the anime. But that's dumb and wrong. If they had intended for it to be pronounced Hydragon they would have just spelled it that way in the first place. There is no time ever when "ei" has ever made the "a" sound in add.

But most names I absolutely don't care about the pronunciation. COR-so-la vs cor-SOL-a? I am almost confident that would vary by the region where you live.

As of recently, it's Vivillion (VIH-vee-yon) being pronounced like VIH-vi-lon. Annoys the hell out of me. I get that a lot of people obviously can't read Japanese (which is written with the correct pronunciation) or studied any other foreign language for that matter, like French or Spanish (which both make the double L sound like Y), but it's just so obviously pronounced VIH-vee-yon (Admittedly, I normally say: Vih-VEE-yon) that I just get irritated that damn near everyone calls it VIH-vi-lon.

English speakers - particularly english English speakers - are among the laziest I can think of when it comes to pronouncing foreign words but in fairness I'm really struggling to think of another pokémon whose English name is specifically pronounced in a foreign way.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom