• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mispronounced Names in the Pokemon World That Annoy You

I don't know if this counts but I've always pronounced Mismagius as Miss-mag-ius and I have seen some people pronouncing it as Miss-may-ge-ius and that just really annoys me.

Most being wrong I suppose, though Skeptile is infuriating.
Indeed. 'Tis a sceptre, not a skeptre.
I don't know if this counts but I've always pronounced Mismagius as Miss-mag-ius and I have seen some people pronouncing it as Miss-may-ge-ius and that just really annoys me.
I thought that that was because of English and American accents. I would pronounce it mis-mag-ius but my American cousins would pronounce it mis-mage-ius.
I pronounce arceus with a hard c. A soft c just sounds... Odd. Again, this may vary due to accents.
The two I have problems with are Girantina (I pronounce it ge-ran-Tina) and vullaby (Vul-a-bee).
The one that annoys me is ray-chu. I always think it should be rye-chu.
I sometimes call Tropius 'Troph-ius' by accident even though there isn't a 'h' in it. But I get annoyed when people call Ho-Oh 'Hoo-ooh', and when people call Regice 'Regi-ice​'.
Tropical, ho ho ho, oh dear and I'd say regi-ice to fit in with the other members of the trio. I think it's just that regiice would be weird.
I pronounce "Reshiram" with a Japanese "a" sound, as opposed to how they said it in the movie, which uses the English "short a" sound.

I dislike 'Reshiram's' official pronunciation. Who wants to compare something like that to some dumb old ram?
I pronounce it resh (as in mesh) ir (as in irritate) am. I think it sounds cooler like that.

Last edited:
The official English pronunciation for Reshiram drives me insane. I've always said it with a long A sound instead of a short A, and using the short A just sounds wrong to me.

I've heard Groudon being called Groundon (there's only one N in that name, dammit!) and multiple ways to say Arceus... I've also heard Raichu pronounced as rye-ah-chu. I'm so picky when it comes to pronunciation, it's ridiculous.

On that note, how on earth do you say Vullaby? I always say VULL-uh-bee, but I have no clue if that's right.

I pronounced Hoh-Oh as ojo (eye in Spanish) and nobody fortunately ever noticed I was saying it wrong like half the time I said it's name, serves as another reason why I have it in a PC and not with me like I do with my Lugia. While Arceus, I say it like if it's called Ar-Zeus.

I always mispronounce Kyurem.
I always say, Kiy-U-Rem. I'm not sure of the correct pronunciation, but apparently Cure-em is the right one. Lol.

The most annoying one by far is Pidgeot. In the anime, they say pidg-it, but it's actually pronounced pidgey-ott. The anime isn't always right.

Another bad one is Vivillon. I always thought it was Vivull-lon, but I am wrong. What annoys me about it is how people say Vivillion like there's an extra i in there, which there isn't. It's viv-ee-on. It's pronounced that way because the "ll" is pronounced as a ee or a y sound in Spanish.

Another bad one is Vivillon. I always thought it was Vivull-lon, but I am wrong. What annoys me about it is how people say Vivillion like there's an extra i in there, which there isn't. It's viv-ee-on. It's pronounced that way because the "ll" is pronounced as a ee or a y sound in Spanish.
And more importantly, in French. Since Vivillon's name comes from the French word for butterfly, papillon.

I agree with you on the rest though :thumbup:

Personally, it f***s me off that the "correct" pronounciation of Arceus is Ark-key-us (or whatever it is) because I don't see a K in the word Arceus, do you?

ARE-see-us was how it was said first and it's what most people go by, so I firmly stand by that as the correct version. That's also how it was said in Battle Revolution. I personally have never heard ARE-key-us outside of the movie and Pokedex 3D Pro.

Huh, I didn't know that... I guess I just assumed that ARE-see-us was considered incorect because I first heard it's name actually being said in the movie. And either way, ARE-key-us still f***s me off.

There are 3 official pronunciations for Arceus as it was changed because in Britain ARE-see-us sounds like arse, which is a swear word for butt so had to be censored. I will always pronounce Arceus as 'arc-ee-us' because the god of butts doesn't sound very appealing. And as to why a lot of games and such have it pronounced as 'ARE-see-us' is because they're made by Americans and Britain always just gets NOA's translations.

On that note, how on earth do you say Vullaby? I always say VULL-uh-bee, but I have no clue if that's right.

Looking at that Pokemon, it looks newly hatched, so the 'by' part might come from 'baby'. 'Vul' is perhaps from 'vulture'.

Looking at that Pokemon, it looks newly hatched, so the 'by' part might come from 'baby'. 'Vul' is perhaps from 'vulture'.

Could also be from lullaby since it's a baby. vull-ture, vull-aby, lull-aby... anyone else? No? Just me?

Doesn't help that baby and lullaby are both pronounced differently, leading to either vull-ah-by or vull-ah-bee.

I've just read/thought/said Vullaby so many times that that feeling has kicked in where it seems like it isn't a word.

This is one that's plagued me for years.
Ar-kuh-nine is WROOOOONG. The name is a portmanteau of ARCANE (meaning mysterious) and CANINE. Both words have the long A sound. There is no "kuh" regardless of what the anime says. This is the same dub that confuses its own pointless euphemisms for onigiri, after all.

Ar-KAY-nine.
Arcane canine.

And now for an extensive list of my other gripes:
rattata: I always say RAT-uh-ta, with short A's for RAt and TA. It feels more natural than Ruh-TA-ta, which takes the emphasis off the rat part.
omanyte: My friend in third grade insisted on pronouncing this "oh-MAN-tee".
chinchou: It's Japanese. Chin-chowe. Not Chin Chow. That's the Crimson Chin's licensed cereal.
misdreavus: MISS-dre-vuss. It's supposed to sound like "mischievous".
gardevoir: I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's french: Garde (keep) + Devoir (must) = GAR-de-vwahr
numel: It's the Numb Pokemon. NUM-el. Not Noomel.
altaria: All-TAR-ia, not Al-TAIR-ia.
baltoy: Not Ball Toy. It's a BALance TOY.
spiritomb: My cousin says Spiritom.
garbodor: I always hear the derpy-sounding GAR-buh-dore. It's Gar-BOW-der. Garbage + Odor.
minccino/cinccino: It peeves my cufflinks when people say Minseeno or Sinseeno. It's Minchino and Chinchino. Not Chin Chow, though.
elgyem: I used to say El-gee-em (hard G) until I found out that the name is just a phonetic reading of the initials to "Little Green Men".
bouffalant: Moar Franch. BOO-fuh-lont. Not Boo-fuh-lant.
furfrou: Moar more Frinch. Fur-froo. Not frow.
aegislash: Used to say AY-gih-slash.
dragalge: MOOOOORE French. Almost like it's set in France or something. Not Dragaljee. It's Dra-GALZH.
dedenne: French again. I think I heard the anime call it "Dedennay".
gourgeist: I always accidentally say Gore-jiced.
xerneas: People always say "ixerneas".
yveltal: My little brother insists the name is literally "WHY-vel-tal".

tl;dr: I focus too much on how other people say things.

Last edited:
I have always been annoyed by when Ash keeps calling Pikachu Peek-a-choo, although it should be evident to him (from hos Pikachu pronounces his own name in the dub) that taht's not the correct way of saying it.

Could also be from lullaby since it's a baby. vull-ture, vull-aby, lull-aby... anyone else? No? Just me?

Doesn't help that baby and lullaby are both pronounced differently, leading to either vull-ah-by or vull-ah-bee.

I've just read/thought/said Vullaby so many times that that feeling has kicked in where it seems like it isn't a word.

I agree, it's definitely from lullaby.

I have always been annoyed by when Ash keeps calling Pikachu Peek-a-choo, although it should be evident to him (from hos Pikachu pronounces his own name in the dub) that taht's not the correct way of saying it.

Sounds the same to me. How is Pikachu supposed to be pronounced?

Sounds the same to me. How is Pikachu supposed to be pronounced?

The first syllable is supposed to be shorter. Not peekachoo, but pikachoo, like the i in 'ping'. Also, I think Pikachuu puts more emphasis on the middle syllable, like pi-KA-chuu. I think both pi-KA-chuu and pi-ka-chuu are all right though. The latter is said in Pokemon Yellow, if I remember right.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom