• Snowy arrives in Motostoke and signs up to participate in the Gym Challenge. Watch here as Snowy encounters some rather noisy individuals in a hotel lobby.

Mistaken Evolutions

Won't be here too often!
Reaction score
To tell you the truth, I thought that Sylveon looked like that it could evolve from Victini. While I was aware that legendries cannot evolve, Sylveon just looked too much like a Victini in form of a fox.

A few seconds later, I looked at the information about Sylveon, saying that it evolves from Eevee.

URPG!
Reaction score
Back before the Gen V mons were completely revealed, I thought for sure that Alomomola was an evolution of Luvdisc. None of the others really caught me off guard, although I did try to get an Umbreon by giving Eevee a Moon Stone. Was very surprised when it didn't work...

Nugget
Reaction score
I thought Ninjask evolved into Shedinja. I was adamant on completing my dex in Ruby, so I trained my Jask to level 65... then when that failed I tried trading it with various items. You can only imagine my frustration when I found out it evolved (or rather appeared out of nowhere) in a special way :s
I thought Shedninja was an alt evolution of Nincada until last week (I never bothered getting or evolving one until now)

I have two Ninjasks now :|

I haven't mistaken the evolutionary line itself, but I once thought Pikachu could evolve into Raichu by leveling up to 20 or 25, and that the thunderstone is just used to speed up things.
There's actually a glitch in Red/Blue (no surprise there) where that happens if you have a Growlithe in your party.

(I tried it.)

Because squishy
Reaction score
I thought that Throh evolved into Sawk. So when I caught Sawk, I attempted to breed a Throh...

...all I got was a Sawk...

Reaction score
In grade school, when Ruby and Sapphire first came out, I had an argument with another student over Plusle and Minun (I had the guidebook so I already knew they couldn't evolve), but the other kid said that the evolution line went Plusle -> Minun -> Pichu -> Pikachu -> Raichu.

Also, when I first saw it, I thought Lickilicky looked too stupid to evolve from Lickitung and thought it was a pre-evo instead.

chocolate chip kookie
Reaction score
Aside from the obvious Luvdisc/Alomomola and Tauros/Bouffalant connections, I thought Remoraid evolved into Mantine due to Remoraid sticking underneath Mantine in Colosseum and XD. I also thought that Zigzagoon evolved into Furret because of the color similarities.

Stoopendous
Reaction score
I think Gogoat is a Tarous evolution.

Also, @^, Remoraid is required for Mantyke to evolve into Mantine.

Pokemon Lover
Reaction score
I was told about the whole Pikablu thing when I was nine, but didn't believe it.

One of my friends thought Togepi evolved into Chansey before Togetic was released.

As for me, I used to think Plusle evolved into Minun, and that Arbok evolved into Seviper. (Note: I believed this before I saw the infamous episode in which the dub claimed it, because Jesse had a Seviper and it was a snake, and even had the same voice that Ekans did, at least as far as I could tell.)

Last edited:
Total Melon
Reaction score
I thought Slowking evolved from Slowbro, but its actually from Slowpoke, I discovered that while trying to trade one and evolve it...
I thought that for a little while too but then I realized that if Slowbro reverts back into a Slowpoke if Shellder lets go of its tail then there's no way that a Slowbro can become Slowking.
I read somewhere (a false rumour) that Slowking was from Slowbro; i assumed that the same Shellder let go of the tail THEN clamped onto the head. It wasn't until i saw artwork for the TCG that i learned the truth.

I too assumed a relationship between Shellos & Lapras. I got a Shellos TCG card before playing any gen IV games.

When i first saw Shuppet (in Colosseum) i thought it was a Misdreavus prevo. Also i thought that Illumise was the male only and Volbeat was female only; since Illumise looks like Mozart and Volbeat resembles a ladybird's colouring - even though there are male ladybirds the name automatically implies femininity.

Ehehehehe...
Reaction score
I thought that Throh evolved into Sawk. So when I caught Sawk, I attempted to breed a Throh...

...all I got was a Sawk...
Wait, it doesn't? I have never owned a Sawk or Throh but I thought they were a family...

I also thought Rotom evolved into its different forms for a while...

Reaction score
When Alomomola, Bouffalant, and Emolga were first introduced, I thought Luvdisc, Pachirisu, and Tauros had received evolutions.

When I was really young, I thought Pinsir evolved into Heracross.

The Charming Fool
Reaction score
Up until a few weeks ago I found out Slowking was not an evolution of Slowbro. I never had either and I just never bothered checking to see if Slowking really was an evolution of Slowbro. I got to say I'm a bit disappointed that it isn't. For an evolution Slowbro doesn't seem to be very different from Slowpoke.

#TeamSword
Reaction score
I used to think Latias evolved into Latios :|

Reaction score
Wow, I'm not the only one who thought Slowking evolved from Slowbro. Or that the Sun Stone and Moon Stone evolved Eevee into Espeon and Umbreon. Or that Skarmory would be a legendary. XD

We are but men
Reaction score
When I first saw Carbink, I assumed it had an evolution. Turns out it doesn't. Shame, because although Carbink looks pretty nice itself, an evolution would have been really cool (and a member of my main team).

Lovely
Reaction score
Back in GSC, I had no idea of the happiness value and told my friend Togepi evolved around level 40-ish since I got my Togetic around that time.

My friend complained to me when her Togepi wouldn't evolve even at level 60. We were both baffled.

Troop Leader
Reaction score
I thought that Volbeat evolved into Illumise, and that Plusle evolved into Minun when was younger. When I got to the Pokemon League, I had a level 40-50 something Plusle and Volbeat on my main team. I couldn't find the others in my game, and they were right next to each other in the Pokedex, so yeah.

Bug-type Master
Reaction score
A bit of an inverse: I used to be unaware of Remoraid's evolution into Octillery, and was baffled when I found out about it. To this day, I still don't understand how a fish evolves into an octopus.