• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mistaken Evolutions

A bit of an inverse: I used to be unaware of Remoraid's evolution into Octillery, and was baffled when I found out about it. To this day, I still don't understand how a fish evolves into an octopus.

Probably because Remoraid is based on a remora - a fish with a suction cup on its back which it uses to stick to the bellies of large ocean dwellers like whales and manta rays (Mantine!). It just hangs there, and eat bits of food which escape the hosts gaping mouth. This way, the remora gets its food without spending much energy. A very clever survival tactic, especially since the host is usually too large to be attacked by predators, making it not only a cheap and high quality restaurant, but also a very safe one. And probably the best part of this all, is that the host isn't affected by the remora's presence in any way, so it doesn't mind that it's got company :)

When Remoraid evolves, it logically turns into another marine creature, but with an increased number of suction cups: an octopus.

Well, that's "On the Origin of Species" for today, featuring Remoraid. It's been a pleasure having you as my audience, and I hope I'll see you next time.
;)

Last edited:
A bit of an inverse: I used to be unaware of Remoraid's evolution into Octillery, and was baffled when I found out about it. To this day, I still don't understand how a fish evolves into an octopus.

Probably because Remoraid is based on a remora - a fish with a suction cup on its back which it uses to stick to the bellies of large ocean dwellers like whales and manta rays (Mantine!). It just hangs there, and eat bits of food which escape the hosts gaping mouth. This way, the remora gets its food without spending much energy. A very clever survival tactic, especially since the host is usually too large to be attacked by predators, making it not only a cheap and high quality restaurant, but also a very safe one. And probably the best part of this all, is that the host isn't affected by the remora's presence in any way, so it doesn't mind that it's got company :)

When Remoraid evolves, it logically turns into another marine creature, but with an increased number of suction cups: an octopus.

Well, that's "On the Origin of Species" for today, featuring Remoraid. It's been a pleasure having you as my audience, and I'll see you next time.
;)

Oh, that's interesting. Biology and Taxonomy are definitely not my forte (I'm more of a mathematics/technology person), so I don't always understand some evolutionary lines at first glance, lol.

Well, when I was a child I thought Farfetch'd could evolve into Doduo, because in my sticker album they were mistakenly put in the same evolutionary line.
I also thought that Umbreon could evolve into Houndour (xD?)
Then that Shedinja was Ninjask's evolution.
I used to think for a very long time that Slowking evolved from Slowbro.
Recently, besides Luvdisc to Alomomola, Tauros to Bouffalant, possibly Pachirisu to Emolga, I thought Lillipup was Growlithe's pre-evolution.

I never really had trouble with evolutions since I started Pokemon when I was 8. *Shrugs*
The only things I have been wrong about Pokemon is thinking Alomomola was Water/Ghost, and Mega-Blastoise might have been Water/Steel.

Maybe I was mishearing when I was a kid, but I SWORE that when Ash scanned Pichu in the Anime, the Pokedex said it was the EVOLVED form of Pikachu. And I was so confused because it was smaller than Pikachu and the fact that I knew about Raichu (with it being my favorite Pokemon since forever), so I assumed it was another evolution for years. Can't remember when I was corrected on that issue, but I'm glad I was.

Another instance is of the Anime, once again, telling me Tyrogue was after Hitmontop. Thanks 4kids. :/ And once again, I was like, but...Hitmontop is bigger...

Finally, I didn't know until I got my first Pokemon game (Red Rescue Team) that Porygon had an evolution. But that was totally not my fault; since Porygon's family was banned and my only real connection to Pokemon was through the Anime, there really was no way for me to know about Porgyon2. Though, I remember handling it...quite well...

*Seeing Poryon2 in Red Rescue Team's guide book*

Me: Oh, there's a Porygon2?...Hmm, that's cool. (Also mind you that Porgon2 only appear in Blue Rescue Team)

I inwardly felt really bad for not knowing this Pokemon existed. :/

I thought Torkoal evolved into Camerupt at some point. It was because they both have holes in their backs that shoot fire. And of course, I also thought the Luvdisc and Alomomola thing as well.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom