• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Misty & Brock Confirmed for Pokemon Sun & Moon Anime

....Wow did this come out of nowhere.

My best guess is these are nostalgic bait episodes, considering all the same outfits as TOS, and the fact that somehow, *poof!* Back to Kanto from Alola, a region so far away from it. Who could ever predict that happening?

At the same time, though, these episodes also look like testing grounds to gauge the interest of the fan base to see if it attracts more viewers to the show. I mean, Misty and Brock haven't been in the Anime for so long - not even as part of nostalgic bait episodes at all.

This return could be a monumental change in the series: Depending on how popular and good these episodes become, it could encourage the writers to do more episodes with older traveling pals like May, Serena, and Dawn... Not that I would mind! *^_^*

That won't happen, it's just fanservice for the 20th anniversary.

I haven't seen any confirmation of this being SM 41+42, so if its a special, the dub better not skip over these. We know that the dub is very selective of which special episodes to dub and usually its the ones that are uninteresting, like the XYZ special over the Cilan episode.

Has Satoshi ever been in a special episode outside of brief cameos?

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm glad that we are getting this, since it may open the door to many more characters' returns (unless this is done only for the anniversary's sake, that's it).

I simply prefer to stay skeptical for now, since we got some characters who returned in past series and did little to nothing. Just look at Gary in DP and Charizard in BW, for example. I somewhat fear that Brock and Misty may get a similar treatment, despite their iconic status.

An excess of hype can backfire spectacularly, as seen over and over in the past, so I wouldn't take the bait too quickly. Be glad that we get to see those two characters again, but don't be too overhyped. The fall can really painful when expectations aren't met fully.
Right, totally agree. My point is actually tha I'm hyped just for what we are confirmed to be getting! Even just Misty and Brock and Ashs old Pokémon is more than I ever dreamed of getting at this point, and I am very hype! :D

I'm hoping for the classic Misty's teasing.

"Who did not get a Mega Stone???" I can see her saying this, and Ash mentioning Ash-Greninja. I wish we'd see the Oak'd Pokemon once more.

I want to see Gary teasing him about that.

"So you were in Kalos but didn't get a Mega Stone Ashy-boy?"

....Wow did this come out of nowhere.

My best guess is these are nostalgic bait episodes, considering all the same outfits as TOS, and the fact that somehow, *poof!* Back to Kanto from Alola, a region so far away from it. Who could ever predict that happening?
It may be far, but in the Pokemon universe, obviously it's not too difficult to get between, since Ash's mom has visited a second time already.

So both Misty and Brock have Megas, but Ash doesn't? I feel like Ash should at least bring back Greninja for the battle, even though Greninja is still somewhere in the forests of Kalos.

Left-field much? It's like the writers anticipated the huge fan backlash of Makoto and Souji starring in M20 instead of Kasumi and Takeshi so they wrote in these appearances in the main series as a compromise. It'd be nice if the two of them became recurring characters again, but I wouldn't mind if they only showed up for these two episodes.

I'm excited to hear Mayumi Iizuka again! She had only one line as Kasumi (in the BW episode where Lizardon returns) after the Kasumi-centric Chronicle specials, so it'll be interesting to see how different she'll sound.

I feel like the region-hopping between Alola and Kanto will be common as this series goes on. Hanako did it for Alola and now Satoshi's doing it for Kanto. :p

So why did they shaft the two for new characters in M20 if they were going to bring them back anyway? Seems like they'd make more money if they reunited on the silver screen. And I'm also surprised they got Megas. I mean, they have the right Pokémon for them, of course, but I thought they'd go for Z-Moves instead since recently they've treated them as a thing of the past.

In any case, I hope Tracey and Gary show up. And this also officially shuts down the "SM series is in the same AU as M20" theory, so there's that.

I almost wonder if M20 was just get people's attention, THEN show this 2-parter...:unsure:

(Especially the way the magazine talks about Kanto & Pallet Town being introduced in the Movie :confused:)

I haven't seen any confirmation of this being SM 41+42, so if its a special, the dub better not skip over these. We know that the dub is very selective of which special episodes to dub and usually its the ones that are uninteresting, like the XYZ special over the Cilan episode.

Has Satoshi ever been in a special episode outside of brief cameos?

Just want to point out that what's considered as a "special episode" in the anime is kind of complicated. For example, we may think of the Mega Evolution Specials as... well, specials, but they count as regular episodes in Japanese listings. The Jynx episode and Snow Way Out! from Kanto are usually considered as specials both here and in Japan, despite prominently featuring Ash and co. Then there's some people who consider that Pikachu-themed episode in XY as a special. And so on.

WARNING: Large image!
Is that the biggest one around, by any chance? I want it as large as possible.

So apparently they went and dug up their old outfits from OS even though Brock has been seen in two newer outfits over significant portions of time and Misty has been seen many times in newer outfits? I'm semi-worried that this is still a "reboot" in that they won't be the Misty and Brock we knew for the last 20 years. I mean Steelix wasn't even really Brock's anymore (Forrest was using it as Gym Leader). Are they even going to mention Brock's progress towards becoming a doctor?

I get the feeling this is only happening because people were very upset about the movie not having Misty and Brock, but bringing back Gen I Misty and Brock in Gen VII and ignoring the progress they had made in between would probably piss a lot of people off too. At least the Pokemon mega evolving are Pokemon they actually had in the Anime.

I hope this isn't just a show up, battle, and leave type thing and they are able to spend some quality time with Ash and Pikachu. Of course the above sounds negative (due to the disappointment lately), but I am of course excited about the possibilities with this as long as it doesn't ignore certain elements.

So apparently they went and dug up their old outfits from OS even though Brock has been seen in two newer outfits over significant portions of time and Misty has been seen many times in newer outfits? I'm semi-worried that this is still a "reboot" in that they won't be the Misty and Brock we knew for the last 20 years. I mean Steelix wasn't even really Brock's anymore (Forrest was using it as Gym Leader). Are they even going to mention Brock's progress towards becoming a doctor?

I get the feeling this is only happening because people were very upset about the movie not having Misty and Brock, but bringing back Gen I Misty and Brock in Gen VII and ignoring the progress they had made in between would probably piss a lot of people off too. At least the Pokemon mega evolving are Pokemon they actually had in the Anime.

I hope this isn't just a show up, battle, and leave type thing and they are able to spend some quality time with Ash and Pikachu. Of course the above sounds negative (due to the disappointment lately), but I am of course excited about the possibilities with this as long as it doesn't ignore certain elements.

Anime episodes have a six month turnaound which means this would have been finished being worked on back in February. Realistically speaking, this would have been planned from either close to the start of this saga or even as far back as when XY&Z was still airing. Factor in that this year is the anime's 20th anniversary and it becomes very clear that this is a continuation of the celebration that Movie 20 started.

See this is proof that whoever is in charge of the pokemon anime reads the bulbagarden forums.

They saw how pissed we were that they left them out of the movie, that they decided to just randomly stick them in a couple of sun&moon episodes,lol.

But seriously, i'm glad they're coming back. It's about time they did.

I can't wait for the inevitable Serena cameo where everyone is mad because Satoshi is no longer the dull, typical shounen protagonist so Amourshipping is fundamentally different (though props to the writers if they pick up on this and play it for shits and giggles by having Serena have grown out of her childhood crush like most children do in real life).

Are they even going to mention Brock's progress towards becoming a doctor?

It was mentioned in his bio on the magazine.

Like I said earlier, perhaps when the movie 20 producers decided to use original characters in the film (at one point they were considering making it an "all-star" film so we know that they at least considered having older characters in it) they settled on having older cast cameos be in the tv series instead. Or who knows, maybe this was planned before Makoto and Souji were finalized and it was one of the driving forces behind deciding to use them ("well we're going to have Kasumi and Takeshi in the main tv series that fall so we don't need them in this summer's film"). Do we even know if the anime producers know/care about the controversy surrounding the film?

Anime episodes have a six month turnaound which means this would have been finished being worked on back in February. Realistically speaking, this would have been planned from either close to the start of this saga or even as far back as when XY&Z was still airing. Factor in that this year is the anime's 20th anniversary and it becomes very clear that this is a continuation of the celebration that Movie 20 started.

Yeah I obviously don't think its directly related to people walking out of the movie's and being upset Brock and Misty aren't there so they whip up something nice for them, more that they knew they were making a movie without them that was going to piss a lot of people off, so they had this in reserve to try to reel some people back in. Clearly they don't make these things in a short period of time, but they knew they weren't using Misty and Brock for the movie and were very well aware of how a portion (not their target, but a portion they still make $ off of) would react to it. Anyway, that was ancillary and not related to the point I was trying to make.

It was mentioned in his bio on the magazine.
This is great news, I just really hope Brock is still the Domestic God we all grew up loving and not more based on his game character and that all the development he and Misty got will still matter. I sure hope we get at least one ear pull from Misty.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom