• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Misty making a return?

I
3)They would need to bring back all 40 gymleaders-I doubt all of them would leave their gyms at the same time for a tournament that is so far away unless they were forced. Also they could some kind of special tournament maybe for water gym-leaders, which would also allow Shizui to make his debut. They make up interesting competitions all the time for example, the wallace cup, don george tournament, and the donamite.

Or they could do a water pokemon tournament without Misty, as we've seen before. In fact, the writers have blatantly given water-centered plots in the show to other characters, let alone all the screentime other water characters get such as Juan, Wake, Wallace, etc.

Since when do water characters get major screentime? Juan appeared in two episodes which were Ash fighting him for his eighth hoenn badge, wake also appeared for two episodes, and a brief flashback, and wallace despite being part of the gen 3 games didn't appear until DP which is gen 4, and even then his screentime was minimal. The wallace cup arc was centered around ash, dawn, may, and even a little around zoey. Also when I mentioned the water tournament I imagined bringing in wake and juan as well.

4)Gary and Brock would need to return as well-Gary just appeared in DP multiple times, and BW marks the second time we haven't had Brock as a traveling companion. There's not much that can be done with him since he has been around almost as long as Ash.

They wouldn't signal out Misty over the others. In fact I'd say Brock has a better chance of coming back of the 3, simply because he was a last gen character.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brock appeared, I would love to see him in BW2 as well, but Brock appearing would have nothing to do with Misty. It would actually be awesome if they appeared together just to watch the expressions on other characters faces at their actions.

6)A reason is needed to bring her back-If they're bringing Dawn, a coordinator back, they don't need a reason.

They're bringing Dawn back because she was the last-gen female. Kids who grew up watching DP know her the best, and Piplup is still popular in Japan.

While it's true that that's probably their reason for bringing her back, I was talking about plot wise. If they can fit a coordinator into the plot of BW which takes place in a region without contest, then they can easily fit Misty in. Also unless your talking about Dawn's Piplup specifically, they don't need a character who already owns a piplup to bring a piplup into the show again. For example, with May they added both a squirtle and bulbasaur to the main cast again.

)She hasn't appeared since 2006, she is forgotten-One other person mentioned this: In the episode where they catch buizel Ash is using Misty's lure, which I think it should be noted that he refuses to let Dawn use it.

What does that have to do with anything? Nobody said Misty has been forgotten, just that the writers have stopped her episode appearances since AG, which is true. Otherwise why did the entire 191 ep span of DP come and go without a Misty return? Makes you wonder.

Maybe not in those exact words but very similar, by saying because she is and old character she will not be brought back, because the younger generation doesn't know who she is, which is why I brought up the lure incident. I believe it shows that they don't intend to let her just fade away because she is from so early on.

As a Misty fan I truly hop she makes an appearance, especially since BW presents plenty of opportunities. I would also love to see her interactions with Dent and Iris, and even Dawn if she's around for a while

I think the fact that the writers purposely made sure that Misty and Dawn never met in DP, makes me think they do not care about having all the main characters meet. May won't meet Iris/Cilan, and Dawn likely won't meet Misty.

I said I hope, not that they will. The writers have done surprising things before, we can't fully predict what they will do.

Since when do water characters et major screentime? Juan appeared in two episodes which were Ash fighting him for his eighth hoenn badge, wake also appeared for two episodes, and a brief flashback, and wallace despite being part of the gen 3 games didn't appear until DP which is gen 4, and even then his screentime was minimal. The wallace cup arc was centered around ash, dawn, may, and even a little around zoey. Also when I mentioned the water tournament I imagined bringing in wake and juan as well.

I just meant in general. Ash has a ton of water pokemon, Dawn's Piplup got a lot of spotlight...we're ALWAYS seeing water pokemon get tons of screentime even with Misty long gone. When that new Shuizu or whatever guy from BW2 appears, he'll be treated like all the other water Gym leaders in the past. I doubt Misty will be mentioned at all, as she wasn't when Juan, Wake, and Wallace appeared.

Movie 9 was a movie all about water pokemon with a water legendary that was the "prince of the sea" for goodness sakes,and it was all made after Misty was gone.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brock appeared, I would love to see him in BW2 as well, but Brock appearing would have nothing to do with Misty. It would actually be awesome if they appeared together just to watch the expressions on other characters faces at their actions.

That's a good point, Brock does have nothing to do with Misty. That's why he lasted in the show for 8 years more than Misty did. So if Brock gets a cameo at some point, it doesn't mean any other Kanto Gym leader will. It'd be because he was in DP.

Maybe not in those exact words but very similar, by saying because she is and old character she will not be brought back, because the younger generation doesn't know who she is, which is why I brought up the lure incident. I believe it shows that they don't intend to let her just fade away because she is from so early on.

Misty still has already missed 10 years worth of episodes and nearly 550+ episodes with AG, DP and BW combined. They give her references for the same reason Tracey is still brought up, she was part of the shows history. Tracey is brought up at least once every saga, and he's one of the least important main characters of the show. Its not like anyone expects a big Tracey comeback everytime he's mentioned, so with Misty its the same deal.

I said I hope, not that they will. The writers have done surprising things before, we can't fully predict what they will do.

We can't predict, but I say right now the odds don't look good. It seems like the writers are only using Elite 4 characters and Champions for the tournament plots, rather than any old Gym leaders. As I said, I don't expect *any* of the pre-BW Gym leaders to return, so I am not signaling out Misty. If Brock appears at all it'll simply be because he was a traveling doctor, not as a Gym leader.

Since when do water characters et major screentime? Juan appeared in two episodes which were Ash fighting him for his eighth hoenn badge, wake also appeared for two episodes, and a brief flashback, and wallace despite being part of the gen 3 games didn't appear until DP which is gen 4, and even then his screentime was minimal. The wallace cup arc was centered around ash, dawn, may, and even a little around zoey. Also when I mentioned the water tournament I imagined bringing in wake and juan as well.

I just meant in general. Ash has a ton of water pokemon, Dawn's Piplup got a lot of spotlight...we're ALWAYS seeing water pokemon get tons of screentime even with Misty long gone. When that new Shuizu or whatever guy from BW2 appears, he'll be treated like all the other water Gym leaders in the past. I doubt Misty will be mentioned at all, as she wasn't when Juan, Wake, and Wallace appeared.

Movie 9 was a movie all about water pokemon with a water legendary that was the "prince of the sea" for goodness sakes,and it was all made after Misty was gone.

No one expects them to bring her up every time there's a water gym leader, and plenty of other pokemon types are focused on as well. Fire types for example. Ash's abused fire types tend to be heavily concentrated on, also "Temple of the Sea" was concentrated on a water type because that was the chosen legendary for that movie. And Dawn's piplup is just shown to have a different personality like all her other pokemon as well, he is no different than other main cast pokemon. In reality, piplup was the start of traveling characters pokemon all having personalities as opposed to previously were very few did, or were ever elaborated on. On another note Ash usually catches one grass, flying, fire, and water type per region. The only exceptions were Kanto, and Unova, but the only ones that even got any real development were his main ones, and their development pales in comparison to some of his other types. Notice how all his grass types have very distinct personalities

That's a good point, Brock does have nothing to do with Misty. That's why he lasted in the show for 8 years more than Misty did. So if Brock gets a cameo at some point, it doesn't mean any other Kanto Gym leader will. It'd be because he was in DP.

Does that mean Paul, Barry, Nando, Conway, Zoey, Kenny, and Ursula will have reappearances just because they were in DP, plus Max never got a reappearance, but Gary got multiple in DP.

Misty still has already missed 10 years worth of episodes and nearly 550+ episodes with AG, DP and BW combined. They give her references for the same reason Tracey is still brought up, she was part of the shows history. Tracey is brought up at least once every saga, and he's one of the least important main characters of the show. Its not like anyone expects a big Tracey comeback everytime he's mentioned, so with Misty its the same deal.

Though it should also be noted that Tracy isn't as popular, also he is Oak's assistant, plus he's had some cameos as well during AG.

We can't predict, but I say right now the odds don't look good. It seems like the writers are only using Elite 4 characters and Champions for the tournament plots, rather than any old Gym leaders. As I said, I don't expect *any* of the pre-BW Gym leaders to return, so I am not signaling out Misty. If Brock appears at all it'll simply be because he was a traveling doctor, not as a Gym leader.

If the writers told every little detail, then there would be no point to the show. The fun and enjoyment comes from surprising us with interesting additions to the plot.

Jasmine was relevant at the time because of HGSS's release, and fit into a Sunyshore plot because she was there in the games. The tournament is looking to be post game and not related to plot, meaning it would be less pressing to fit in Misty.

The advertising we currently have is the biggest inclination that we won't be seeing her, at least not right now. Even though it's been 7 years since we've seen her, she was a major part of the show for a considerable amount of time. If she were going to be coming back, they'd let us know. We won't be seeing her in the Junior Cup.
And Misty wasn't?? BS

Jasmine was a gym leader in the region of focus in HGSS, and had arguably the biggest storyline of the Johto Gym Leaders after Clair and perhaps Morty, albeit a small one. She was the second gym leader after Giovanni to be shown doing things not related to the Gym Leader occupation in the games she debuted in. Her city has similarities to Sunyshore, hence her cameo in DPPt in said town. She had a greater relevance than most characters when pertaining to HGSS.

Compare to HGSS Misty, whose role in the game was to be on a date and to give the Cascade Badge, in a region that was not part of the HGSS main storyline. Jasmine had much more reason to be shown in the anime again than Misty did, as far as a HGSS cameo was concerned.

Well GameFreak put Jasmine in the DP games for some odd reason. It was the only reason she appeared in the anime. Her appearance in DP games back in 2006/2007 foreshadowed the inevitable GS remakes....but since the DP anime was so stretched out she didn't appear till 2010.

Its the same reason they gave Marina 3 different cameos on early DP, despite the fact that when HGSS came out she would be replaced by Lyra. Perhaps the writers knew that and were trying to give Marina 3 separate 5 second cameos before her character faded away.

Jasmine was a gym leader in the region of focus in HGSS, and had arguably the biggest storyline of the Johto Gym Leaders after Clair and perhaps Morty, albeit a small one. She was the second gym leader after Giovanni to be shown doing things not related to the Gym Leader occupation in the games she debuted in. Her city has similarities to Sunyshore, hence her cameo in DPPt in said town. She had a greater relevance than most characters when pertaining to HGSS.

Compare to HGSS Misty, whose role in the game was to be on a date and to give the Cascade Badge, in a region that was not part of the HGSS main storyline. Jasmine had much more reason to be shown in the anime again than Misty did, as far as a HGSS cameo was concerned.

I think what everyone is not really thinking about is the fact that the game doesn't have to do with the anime, which was proved the minute Brock and Misty joined Ash in the original series, plus currently Ash isn't getting his eighth badge from Drayden, he's getting it from Homika. Roles in the game overall have nothing to do with the anime. Also Misty does play more in the game than dating. You can't catch Suicune until you run into her, and you find the machine part in her gym.

mwto's got a point. The anime may be largely based on the games, but it doesn't have to be completely faithful to it. All they need to be concerned with is deciding how to make the anime entertaining. What reflects the games the most? The Pokemon themselves right? If they have a good number of Pokemon from the current gen that people recognize featured in the anime, they've already got their "advertising" needs covered, and could probably combine it with whatever human characters, occasional older Pokemon, maybe even whatever region they want. I think the key is to balance cleverness, diversity, and yes, even a little nostalgia.

Whatever the case, there has not been one single indication that Misty, or any older character other than Dawn for that matter, will appear in BW2.

So there's nothing to say really, Misty could very well not appear this saga at all just like she didn't appear in DP at all. DP was the first generation without a single real Misty appearance, this gen might be the first one where she's not even mentioned. Even Ash doesn't seem to have taken the Misty lure to Unova, as in that fishing episode Cilan used a lure shaped as himself but Ash didn't pull out a Misty lure.

We'll just have to wait then. So far we've got the possibility of some event with Gym leaders as reflected in the games. Whatever the case is, they're definitely mixing things up a bit in BW2, reflecting a bit of previous gens vibe throughout and they might have more surprises during gen 6. Lets hope so.

It doesn't matter if Misty didn't appear on poster nor she is planned to return for Junior Cup.BW 2 didn't even began officially yet being obvious how we have whole filler saga in which Misty could return later on. Writers wont reveal all cards on table already, nor there is need for such thing.

Junior Cup which includes elite four,Alder and Cynthia could likely be just precursor to future tournaments host by Cynthia. I think its fairly obvious how Junior Cup is just some sort of exhibition competition/exception where trainers have chance to fight champions without having to pass regular procedure .
Something where they can test their strength preparing for something bigger.While real competitions could be part of world tournament concept from games being set in BW 2 filler arc where gym leaders would play important role.

And this is where Misty comes in.

Way i see it there is nothing stopping Misty to come back, whether its for couple of episodes or for something even longer like return to main cast. Its not so impossible when taken in account how writers constantly break patterns changing their plans. Im sure no one expected few weeks ago that Dawn will return for extended visit, that BW 2 game sequel would bring outburst of references to older regions and characters. That Brock would leave after 13 years etc.

Current formula is losing on popularity and cant last forever, so at some point i wont be surprised if writers start reusing some of popular all time favorites taking them forward. Like Bakugan for example does.

Imo Misty coming back would be interesting and great idea . I like her flirty, spunky and dynamic personality being interested in seeing how she would work in cast in today show format. She is hugely popular and most iconic female we had and unexpected return would serve as nice twist and change of pace bringing something totally unexpected and fresh imbuing anime with more continuity.

Her story was unfinished and i can say how there was left potential to be done a lot more than what we got leaving Misty with lot of unlocked potential.
Like her goal of water master which was left unfinished, past hiding many unanswered things, pokemon not being used to full potential etc. having room to grow more as person and trainer .
After so much time we can't deny how this would shake things and potentially attract more of older fans toward show.And because of having luxury to be from Kanto she will always find way to show up in games gaining marketing value.

BW 2 is perfect opportunity to bring Misty back. She appears in games and can be used for marketing purposes, world tournaments hosted by Cynthia gives her perfect excuse to travel and gain something out of it by advancing her water goal and story. Demand for return is massive with many people wanting to see her and if writers miss on this opportunity, they would be doing huge mistake.

They wouldn't signal out Misty over the others. In fact I'd say Brock has a better chance of coming back of the 3, simply because he was a last gen character.

Just like May or Dawn weren't dependent on Brock and Gary return, i cannot see why Misty should be. Like i said before if writers decide to incorporate concept of world tournament in BW2 filler arc Misty return would hold more significance and sense than Brock would, since she is trainer and gym leader fitting perfectly as one of competitors for it. Not to mention this would bring opportunity to develop character more and advance her goal of becoming best water trainer while for Brock or Gary it wouldn't really add anything to their characters and stories as doctor and researcher.

Also im not sure why Misty chances or Brock for that matter are equalized with Gary??? He was nowhere near important to pokemon like Misty and Brock are. He was only rival with relatively minor role so if he doesn't return for BW2 that wont be shocking at all. Its miracle in itself that he even appeared in DP.

They're bringing Dawn back because she was the last-gen female. Kids who grew up watching DP know her the best, and Piplup is still popular in Japan.

And how do we know kids which grew up with DP didn't watched older seasons on pokemon smash or some other TV station finding out who Misty is? Its enough to go online and visit any pokemon site, very soon any kid would know who she was.

Doesn't matter what happened in past, but what will future bring. Misty will always be associated with water type because she was main character which specialized in water types being only female water gym leader in games. When it comes to water pokemon , water related events etc she will always be best candidate for their promotion coming in consideration.

That's a good point, Brock does have nothing to do with Misty. That's why he lasted in the show for 8 years more than Misty did.

Not sure how longer stay increase chances for Brock return. There are plenty of examples where shorter lived characters returned before those which lasted longer. Jessibelle, Jasmine, Gary etc are good examples.

Difference is that Tracey is far less important to pokemon series, he is nowhere near as popular and has next to none marketing value due to not existing in games at all. No one expects that anime exclusive shortest lived main character gets some significant role in pokemon again aside from references,but for original girl which left big impact on anime its expected to receive more recognition and better treatment.

Even if concept of world tournament with gym leaders doesn't transfer to anime there exist plenty of other possibilities for which Misty can return. Her goal of water master was left unfinished so she could return for some water based tournament like Whirl Cup was. To catch new Unova water types, to be involved in arc about some legendary water pokemon, for one of Don George tournaments etc.

For whatever reason she returns that wont erase fact how she would help advertize BW 2 games solely because of being present in them, as well being popular and iconic enough to warrant her reuse for marketing purposes.

Doesn't change fact that Misty was valid candidate which could have been used for promotion too. Her role wasn't any bigger in FRLG remakes and she still came back.

Needless to say she is more popular and recognizable than Jasmine was so im pretty sure her return would bring higher boost to ratings.
It certainly wouldn't hurt if they did it.

Lot of times its forgotten how anime=/= games operating on very different level.

There's no indication that Misty is going to appear, so it's all just based on the whims of what each person wants.

There's nothing to debate about really. If she doesn't appear then she doesn't appear.

Doesn't change fact that Misty was valid candidate which could have been used for promotion too.

Misty had a valid reason to reappear. However, Jasmine had an even more valid one.

Her role wasn't any bigger in FRLG remakes and she still came back.

Misty was a Gym Leader in the region of focus in FRLG, so it makes her a required boss in the game's story. It's an important role.

At times, I wish Misty had her Battle Frontier saga cameo at the Seafoam Islands, instead of at Pallet Town. It would have referenced the FRLG-exclusive Fame Checker excerpt about her training vigorously at the Islands, and would have given viewers a chance to go "Does FRLG reference this about her? Do the other Gym Leaders have quirks about their character presented too? I should go get them." Kill two birds with one stone.

Lot of times its forgotten how anime=/= games operating on very different level.

The anime still holds a lot of stock on game canon however. For as many viewers that would like a Misty cameo in DP, there's a lot more who appreciated the Jasmine cameo, due to her cameo in the games being reflected.

As for a possible BW2 cameo for Misty, I would be thrilled if it does happen. But not at this time, due to Dawn getting the spotlight. What I would really like is if this Dawn cameo set the groundwork for a series of character arcs for each member of the old casts that spanned through the entire BW2 season. Character arc for Dawn, an arc for Brock, May,and Max, an arc for Misty and Tracey, maybe an arc for rivals like Gary, Paul, and Barry, all that jazz. I think it would be a lot more pleasurable if that were to happen, slim that that chance is.

Keep in mind the Univa league is slated for 3 months after the 8th Gym. The writers are going to pretty much have Ash get back on track after this arc.

Its the same reason they gave Marina 3 different cameos on early DP, despite the fact that when HGSS came out she would be replaced by Lyra. Perhaps the writers knew that and were trying to give Marina 3 separate 5 second cameos before her character faded away.

Or they knew Johto remakes are coming but still weren't informed about the random decision to keep the original Johto hero yet replace the original Johto heroine (not that I'm complaining, I really like Lyra, so I'm happy we got her, but it's very weird they didn't just keep Crystal's heroine when they DID include other Crystal-only things in HGSS like Eusine...)
It could also just be a random reference to a past character that doesn't mean anything - her first random cameo was in Movie 9's intro, which also threw us a cameo of the TR members from "Legend of Thunder"...

Actually, I think giving us cameos of Misty and other past characters that are similar to Marina's cameos would be a nice way to both throw something for the character + old fans and yet still not really bring all of them back

Keep in mind the Univa league is slated for 3 months after the 8th Gym. The writers are going to pretty much have Ash get back on track after this arc.
How will he get back on track after the league? If he participates in more World Tournament cups or even partakes in a new challenge, that won't be a typical saga. It is not hard to imagine that the Eastern Unova arc may be similar to future events after the league, even though the setting should definitely be different.

Well those champions might be what Ash does.

Either way no old Gym leaders are returning, and given Dawn is staying for a number of episodes it makes me think no other character will get the screentime.

Either way no old Gym leaders are returning, and given Dawn is staying for a number of episodes it makes me think no other character will get the screentime.
We're going to see two gym leaders and a previous main character in the Junior Cup; it is clear that the tournament is not open just to regional champions. If no old characters return in the future, the writers will have to create a lot of characters, because there is no way to build a World Tournament just around the Unova Elite Four and Cynthia.

Misty had a valid reason to reappear. However, Jasmine had an even more valid one.

Maybe so, but to be fair there was nothing stopping writers to use both.

Misty is after all much more recognized and popular thanks to anime than Jasmine ever was and since she is present in HGSS remakes writers could had easily include her in anime for advertizing purposes if they wanted to.

Especially when she played much more important role in pokemon series leaving big impact on it and influencing Ash story by helping him to grow in better trainer. Her story was left unresolved and her return would have been of greater benefit bringing more continuity than Jasmine did bas more iconic and known out there.

Misty was a Gym Leader in the region of focus in FRLG, so it makes her a required boss in the game's story. It's an important role.

True but HGSS were remade Gold and Silver sequel from first generation happening 3 years afterwards, with players being given opportunity to challenge Kanto gym leaders again.

As such Misty was still important in games because by passing her along with other Kanto gym leaders player is given chance to go to route 28 amd Silver Cave.

The anime still holds a lot of stock on game canon however. For as many viewers that would like a Misty cameo in DP, there's a lot more who appreciated the Jasmine cameo, due to her cameo in the games being reflected.

There was never some particularly big desire that Jasmine makes appearance,and judging by reactions most people were rather indifferent about it. On other hand majoroty of older fandom wanted to see Misty again being far more popular than Jasmine is.

As for a possible BW2 cameo for Misty, I would be thrilled if it does happen. But not at this time, due to Dawn getting the spotlight. What I would really like is if this Dawn cameo set the groundwork for a series of character arcs for each member of the old casts that spanned through the entire BW2 season. Character arc for Dawn, an arc for Brock, May,and Max, an arc for Misty and Tracey, maybe an arc for rivals like Gary, Paul, and Barry, all that jazz. I think it would be a lot more pleasurable if that were to happen, slim that that chance is.

I doubt all of them will appear, but because of being present in BW2 games i believe Misty and Brock have chance to come back.
Now i would welcome every one of them to come back, but if i could choose i would rather bring Misty back before anyone else.

Out of all ex major characters Misty was absent for longest(6 years and counting)so imo she should definitely return deserving some chance to shine. Especially when world tournament idea would open ground for some quality development with character and its dreams while at same time games being promoted. More so than its case with Tracey, Brock, May etc.

Like i said while i would like to see her back for entire season or two having potential for such thing(filler regions like BF was are most viable opportunities), some longer visit would be great as well.

Actually, I think giving us cameos of Misty and other past characters that are similar to Marina's cameos would be a nice way to both throw something for the character + old fans and yet still not really bring all of them back

While it would be nice gesture, in Misty case i rather want her to appear in person. To actually interact with Ash and others, battle, give us update and gain potentially more development.

Reference in form of mention and non speaking role isn't enough for me.

Considering they didn't even show Ash's friends watching the Sinnoh league back in DP, not even Delia was shown watching him on TV, I doubt they'll show them now.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom