• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Misty or Iris?

Who?

• Total voters
Misty has always been my favorite female in the series and I guess I'd call Iris my second favorite then, because I find May and Dawn extremely annoying

I'd obviously have to say then, that I prefer Misty if for no other reason than that she's a better trainer and actually has skill in battle. Iris is all talk most of the time and yes, while she has won some battles, she just acts as if she's so great when her Axew has barely improved since the first episode, and her remaining Pokemon have generally ignored her

Iris' Excadrill is very powerful, so I don't know where you get that idea from.

I didn't say it wasn't powerful. I said it ignored her for a while.

So you're saying Iris ignores her pokemon for a while, yet the majority of Misty's Pokemon hardly battled for long chunks at a time? You do realize Iris has more on-screen battles than Misty if you compare their first 120 episodes together?

So you're saying Iris ignores her pokemon for a while, yet the majority of Misty's Pokemon hardly battled for long chunks at a time? You do realize Iris has more on-screen battles than Misty if you compare their first 120 episodes together?

I'm not saying Iris ignores her Pokemon, I'm saying Iris's Pokemon are disobedient. And even if she did have more battles, Misty didn't have that same problem.

I'm not saying Iris ignores her Pokemon, I'm saying Iris's Pokemon are disobedient. And even if she did have more battles, Misty didn't have that same problem.

What does that have to do with anything? Misty's Pokemon were either incompetent at battling (Togepi, Psyduck), or were unuseable outside of water like Goldeen and Horsea.

The difference between the two is Misty never really made an effort to train her pokemon. She never could control Psyduck's power and didn't seem to care. Likewise she mothered Togepi so much that it virtually never battled even when it started to show signs of using attacks. Her only decent battler at the time was Staryu until she got Poliwhirl.

What does that have to do with anything? Misty's Pokemon were either incompetent at battling (Togepi, Psyduck), or were unuseable outside of water like Goldeen and Horsea.

The difference between the two is Misty never really made an effort to train her pokemon. She never could control Psyduck's power and didn't seem to care. Likewise she mothered Togepi so much that it virtually never battled even when it started to show signs of using attacks. Her only decent battler at the time was Staryu until she got Poliwhirl.

I know, but the point I'm trying to make is that those Pokemon listened to her. 3/4 of Iris's Pokemon ignored her. I was saying that in my opinion, Misty is a better trainer.

In regards to Psyduck, Misty may not have been able to necessarily control his powers, but she at least made an effort to try to understand them. Don't you remember her constantly trying to give him a headache? She knew her Pokemon's abilities.

And wouldn't you say that Iris mothers Axew? She uses Emolga, Excadrill, and Dragonite far more than him.

I know, but the point I'm trying to make is that those Pokemon listened to her. 3/4 of Iris's Pokemon ignored her. I was saying that in my opinion, Misty is a better trainer.

In regards to Psyduck, Misty may not have been able to necessarily control his powers, but she at least made an effort to try to understand them. Don't you remember her constantly trying to give him a headache? She knew her Pokemon's abilities.

And wouldn't you say that Iris mothers Axew? She uses Emolga, Excadrill, and Dragonite far more than him.

In terms of being a trainer Iris is far more battle oriented than Misty was. Iris already competed in 3 tournaments in just 100 episodes, for Misty it took her entire 270 run just to do that.

I also don't think you remember how rarely Misty battled in the original series. She very rarely battled other trainers aside from a few instances and wasn't involved in any major tournament till the Whirl cup. Whenever she tried to battle the writers turned it into a gag fight with Psyduck just getting a headache. It wasn't until she got Poliwhirl and Corsola that she started battling a bit more but that was halfway into Johto.

In terms of being a trainer Iris is far more battle oriented than Misty was. Iris already competed in 3 tournaments in just 100 episodes, for Misty it took her entire 270 run just to do that.

I also don't think you remember how rarely Misty battled in the original series. She very rarely battled other trainers aside from a few instances and wasn't involved in any major tournament till the Whirl cup. Whenever she tried to battle the writers turned it into a gag fight with Psyduck just getting a headache. It wasn't until she got Poliwhirl and Corsola that she started battling a bit more but that was halfway into Johto.

Misty is a gym leader. I would think she's more battle oriented just because of that. Also, this series is far more tournament heavy than the original series was, so it makes sense that Iris would have entered more tournaments. And why are the number of tournaments participated in relevant to how good of a trainer she is anyway? Regardless of how many tournaments she has entered, Misty was still a better trainer.

And Iris doesn't battle that much either. She pretty much only battles in tournaments.

Misty is a gym leader. I would think she's more battle oriented just because of that. Also, this series is far more tournament heavy than the original series was, so it makes sense that Iris would have entered more tournaments. And why are the number of tournaments participated in relevant to how good of a trainer she is anyway? Regardless of how many tournaments she has entered, Misty was still a better trainer.

And Iris doesn't battle that much either. She pretty much only battles in tournaments.

What does Misty being a Gym leader have to do with it? She only had 3 pokemon to begin with and didn't battle challengers in the Gym at all. I think Ash was the first person she ever battled at the Gym.

Likewise its pretty obvious from watching Excadrill vs. Pikachu that Iris has a lot more knowledge of battling at the start compared to Misty vs. Ash in Kanto.

What does Misty being a Gym leader have to do with it? She only had 3 pokemon to begin with and didn't battle challengers in the Gym at all. I think Ash was the first person she ever battled at the Gym.

Likewise its pretty obvious from watching Excadrill vs. Pikachu that Iris has a lot more knowledge of battling at the start compared to Misty vs. Ash in Kanto.

You said Iris was more battle oriented. The fact that Misty is a gym leader leads me to believe that she's more battle oriented than Iris who refused to be Opelucid's leader when she was offered because she herself said she had to think about it. And since you're bringing up her 3 Pokemon who actually do battle, Iris had two when she was introduced. One who'd been ignoring her for years and one whom she doesn't use in battle or is even capable of using a dragon-type move properly.

And Pikachu couldn't touch Excadrill with any good moves, how is that a good example of Iris's battle knowledge? Besides, that battle was not even at the beginning of the series. In fact, her battle with Excadrill and Fraxure proves how much she lacks in battle knowledge and understanding her Pokemon. In the beginning of the series, Iris refused to battle Ash and Trip because of her weak Axew and disobedient Excadrill. Her first on-screen battle was a practice battle against Cilan whom she told to use weaker moves. Iris is clearly far less battle oriented.

You said Iris was more battle oriented. The fact that Misty is a gym leader leads me to believe that she's more battle oriented than Iris who refused to be Opelucid's leader when she was offered because she herself said she had to think about it. And since you're bringing up her 3 Pokemon who actually do battle, Iris had two when she was introduced. One who'd been ignoring her for years and one whom she doesn't use in battle or is even capable of using a dragon-type move properly.

And Pikachu couldn't touch Excadrill with any good moves, how is that a good example of Iris's battle knowledge? Besides, that battle was not even at the beginning of the series. In fact, her battle with Excadrill and Fraxure proves how much she lacks in battle knowledge and understanding her Pokemon. In the beginning of the series, Iris refused to battle Ash and Trip because of her weak Axew and disobedient Excadrill. Her first on-screen battle was a practice battle against Cilan whom she told to use weaker moves. Iris is clearly far less battle oriented.

Misty wasn't even at the Gym when we first saw her. She was fishing near Pallet town, she probably ran away from the Gym as she was tired of her sisters and didn't battle challengers there. Nothing said in those early episodes made it seem like Misty battled challengers regularly. I think Ash was the first one she ever battled in a Gyn match.

You claim Misty is a better trainer, but there are no examples. None of Misty's early Kanto battles come off as impressive, her Starmie loses to a Graveler in the Poketech ep, and then she hardly battles any other trainers besides TR.

While Misty did improve at battling in Johto, she certainly didn't come across as strong in Kanto. Ash nearly beat her in the Gym as Starmie was on the verge of losing energy before TR came.

As for Excadrill does it not seem more powerful than either Staryu or Starmie early on? Starmie was losing to Pidgeotto who Ash just captured like 4 episodes prior.

Misty wasn't even at the Gym when we first saw her. She was fishing near Pallet town, she probably ran away from the Gym as she was tired of her sisters and didn't battle challengers there. Nothing said in those early episodes made it seem like Misty battled challengers regularly. I think Ash was the first one she ever battled in a Gyn match.

You claim Misty is a better trainer, but there are no examples. None of Misty's early Kanto battles come off as impressive, her Starmie loses to a Graveler in the Poketech ep, and then she hardly battles any other trainers besides TR.

While Misty did improve at battling in Johto, she certainly didn't come across as strong in Kanto. Ash nearly beat her in the Gym as Starmie was on the verge of losing energy before TR came.

As for Excadrill does it not seem more powerful than either Staryu or Starmie early on? Starmie was losing to Pidgeotto who Ash just captured like 4 episodes prior.

That entire first paragraph was an assumption. An assumption I kinda doubt is true.

There are plenty of reasons why Misty is a better trainer. In the world of Pokemon, you should know that being a good trainer has not just to do with how many battles you win, but how good you are with your Pokemon, which you seem to have ignored in my last response about Iris. She was unable to see that Excadrill was in pain and ended up shattering his confidence. She caught Emolga, but couldn't get it to listen. She caught Dragonite and couldn't control it. Her last Dragon-type is little more than a hair accessory. She cannot get control over her Pokemon, a skill necessary to be a good trainer.

Misty's Pokemon have never had that issue. She is better at understanding them than Iris is. It doesn't matter which Pokemon is "more powerful".

That entire first paragraph was an assumption. An assumption I kinda doubt is true.

There are plenty of reasons why Misty is a better trainer. In the world of Pokemon, you should know that being a good trainer has not just to do with how many battles you win, but how good you are with your Pokemon, which you seem to have ignored in my last response about Iris. She was unable to see that Excadrill was in pain and ended up shattering his confidence. She caught Emolga, but couldn't get it to listen. She caught Dragonite and couldn't control it. Her last Dragon-type is little more than a hair accessory. She cannot get control over her Pokemon, a skill necessary to be a good trainer.

Misty's Pokemon have never had that issue. She is better at understanding them than Iris is. It doesn't matter which Pokemon is "more powerful".

So you think just because Misty didn't have a pokemon that refused to obey her that she was a better trainer? That has nothing to do with the trainer itself but the Pokemon's personality. We've had Ash and Dawn with disobedient Pokemon too.

And what examples are there of Misty understanding her pokemon other than Psyduck who she was often frustrated with? Staryu, Starmie and Goldeen had no personality and Poliwhirl was the only other one she worked with.

Do you have any examples of Misty being a strong trainer prior to mid/late Johto? In Kanto it seemed like Misty was barely above the level of Ash.

So you think just because Misty didn't have a pokemon that refused to obey her that she was a better trainer? That has nothing to do with the trainer itself but the Pokemon's personality. We've had Ash and Dawn with disobedient Pokemon too.

And what examples are there of Misty understanding her pokemon other than Psyduck who she was often frustrated with? Staryu, Starmie and Goldeen had no personality and Poliwhirl was the only other one she worked with.

Do you have any examples of Misty being a strong trainer prior to mid/late Johto? In Kanto it seemed like Misty was barely above the level of Ash.

Basically. The fact that she hasn't had that issue shows that she's a good trainer. In fact, she did have a Pokemon who disobeyed her: Gyarados. And it took her far less time to gain control over it than it's taken Iris to get control over anything. And it most certainly has to do with the trainer. A good trainer is able to control their own Pokemon. Ash and Dawn have nothing to do with this.

She generally understood her Pokemon better. Even if she did get frustrated, she understood it and found was to work around it's general uselessness and making it very useful. Are you telling me that Iris never got frustrated at Emolga, Excadrill, or Dragonite?

And the whole question was who I liked better. I never said I liked her because she was stronger, but because I felt she was a better trainer. I was just giving my opinion.

Basically. The fact that she hasn't had that issue shows that she's a good trainer. In fact, she did have a Pokemon who disobeyed her: Gyarados. And it took her far less time to gain control over it than it's taken Iris to get control over anything. And it most certainly has to do with the trainer. A good trainer is able to control their own Pokemon. Ash and Dawn have nothing to do with this.

She generally understood her Pokemon better. Even if she did get frustrated, she understood it and found was to work around it's general uselessness and making it very useful. Are you telling me that Iris never got frustrated at Emolga, Excadrill, or Dragonite?

And the whole question was who I liked better. I never said I liked her because she was stronger, but because I felt she was a better trainer. I was just giving my opinion.

So Misty had less problems with her pokemon because the writers had no storylines for them. Psyduck was more comic relief than a real problem for Misty to overcome.

Aside from their pokemon, how do you feel about Misty and her handling in the series? What did you think of how they handled her in Johto?

So Misty had less problems with her pokemon because the writers had no storylines for them. Psyduck was more comic relief than a real problem for Misty to overcome.

Aside from their pokemon, how do you feel about Misty and her handling in the series? What did you think of how they handled her in Johto?

That's beside the point.

To be honest, I haven't seen the Johto series in a long time. I couldn't give you a good answer. From what I remember she fared pretty well as a character in Johto. Poliwhirl evolved and she caught Corsola. Sorry, but I don't remember much from Johto...(which is ironic considering how it has my favorite theme song.)

Aside from their pokemon, how do you feel about Misty and her handling in the series? What did you think of how they handled her in Johto?[/QUOT

That's beside the point.

To be honest, I haven't seen the Johto series in a long time. I couldn't give you a good answer. From what I remember she fared pretty well as a character in Johto. Poliwhirl evolved and she caught Corsola. Sorry, but I don't remember much from Johto...(which is ironic considering how it has my favorite theme song.)

Even if you don't remember it, I don't see how capturing one pokemon over an entire arc and getting two evo's for the same pokemon is faring well in terms of her team.

Misty wasn't a Gym Leader until she left at the original series. Given the skills she showed during Kanto, or the whole original series for that matter, the Pokemon she had with her when she first appeared and how she acted during some of those Chronicles specials where she tried to run the Gym, there's really no indication that she was a Gym Leader or any reason to think that she was one at that point in my opinion. She only battled Ash because of how her sisters couldn't. I don't think her team was handled that well given how most of them faded into the background, weren't really that strong and there wasn't much of any growth for them, but I'd take that over Pokemon getting upgrades out of nowhere and being overpowered without any kind of training to glorify the trainer like they've don with Iris.

Aside from their pokemon, how do you feel about Misty and her handling in the series? What did you think of how they handled her in Johto?[/QUOT

That's beside the point.

Even if you don't remember it, I don't see how capturing one pokemon over an entire arc and getting two evo's for the same pokemon is faring well in terms of her team.

Well...I guess she didn't fare well in terms of her team.

I also think her Axew is adorable, even if he was weak at first. But he got strong. This little guy knows moves like Giga Impact and Outrage, damn it. He could even do some damage to Cynthia's Garchomp for god's sake.

That's part of the reason people don't like her. Iris's pokemon are just pulling moves out of nowhere. And there is absolutely NO way Axew should even be able to damage Garchomp, especially with how drastic the difference between their experience levels are.

I also think her Axew is adorable, even if he was weak at first. But he got strong. This little guy knows moves like Giga Impact and Outrage, damn it. He could even do some damage to Cynthia's Garchomp for god's sake.

That's part of the reason people don't like her. Iris's pokemon are just pulling moves out of nowhere. And there is absolutely NO way Axew should even be able to damage Garchomp, especially with how drastic the difference between their experience levels are.

She was too mean to you until recently, bro. You shouldn't have been called a little kid so much. She's the little kid...:D.

Back
Top Bottom