• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

MLB postseason 2012

Reaction score
Hey baseball fans! I couldn't find a thread on this, so I'm creating one.

This is a really exciting postseason because there are so many teams we didn't expect, and it seems like it's anyone's game (so to speak!)

--

Teams that are in it this year:

American League:
Oakland Athletics - AL West champs - eliminated by Detroit in ALDS 10/11
Detroit Tigers - AL Central champs - AL Pennant winner
New York Yankees - AL East champs - eliminated by Detroit in total sweep of ALCS 10/18
Baltimore Orioles - Wild Card - eliminated by New York in ALDS 10/12 :bawl:
Texas Rangers - Wild Card - eliminated by Baltimore in WC game 10/5

National League:
****San Francisco Giants - NL West champs - NL Pennant winner - World Series winner****
Cincinnati Reds - NL Central champs - eliminated by San Francisco in NLDS 10/11
Washington Nationals - NL East champs - eliminated by St. Louis in NLDS 10/12
St. Louis Cardinals - Wild Card - eliminated by San Francisco in NLCS 10/22
Atlanta Braves - Wild Card - eliminated by St. Louis in WC game 10/5

updated 10/29 12:30 AM EST

--

Who are you rooting for? Who do you think will make it to the World Series? What did you think about the controversial call in the NL Wild Card game yesterday?

My feels: GO TIGERS and GO O'S! :bounce: Orioles won the Wild Card game yesterday (in their first play-off appearance since 1997) and Tigers just took Game 1 against the A's so I am in a good mood!

Last edited:
I'm rooting for my San Francisco Giants! I hope the World Series would become another Battle of the Bay, which is the SF Giants against the Oakland A's. Make it not just 2010, but 1989 all over again! (Just without an earthquake in the middle of the game)

Well, Oakland didn't fare so well against my Tigers today... *gloats*

ETA: And Detroit has taken Game 2 as well in a nail-biter of a finish! Wow! Looks like we're well on our way to win the series and advance to the American League Championship! :yahoo:

Unfortunately, first O's game against the Yankees didn't go so well. :uhoh:

Last edited:
GAME UPDATES - 10-8-12

American League Division Series:
Detroit Tigers vs. Oakland A's - Tigers leading 2-0, winning 5-4 on Sunday and 3-1 on Saturday, Next game (hopefully last! :ksmile:) in the series will be played Tuesday at around 9 pm EST.
Baltimore Orioles vs. New York Yankees - Series is currently tied 1-1, with 7-2 victory by New York Sunday and 3-2 Baltimore victory today. Next game is Wednesday at about 7:30 PM EST. (YAY O'S WON TODAY!!!!!!! Okay, fangirl moment over.)

National League Division Series:
Cincinnati Reds vs. San Francisco Giants - Reds are leading the series 2-0 with a 5-2 win Saturday against the Giants, and a 9-0 slaughter on Sunday. Next game is at around 5:30 pm EST Tuesday, to see if Reds will clinch the series.
St. Louis Cardinals vs. Washington Nationals - Series is tied with Nats winning first game 3-2 and St. Louis winning today's game 12-4. Next game is Wednesday at about 1 PM EST.

Note that the ALDS and NLDS are "best 3 out of 5" series. So if Detroit or Cincinnati wins their next game they will move on, whereas Baltimore, New York, St. Louis and Washington would need to win two more games (without their opponents first winning two more games), and Oakland and San Francisco would need to win three games without their opponents winning any more.

Last edited:
I'm currently watching the Yankees/Orioles game right now. As of this moment, the game is tied 1-1. No score yet in the Tigers/As game. As for the NL....

The Reds have been eliminated; the Giants got a grand slam in the fifth and kept Cincy at bay. They came back from a two game deficit and did it. Color me surprised. Oh and, Washington? Win game 5, slaggit! :complain:

Yeah, I'm not a Cardinals fan. Memories of the 2011 playoff season and all. Yes, last year I sat and cried when that last out was recorded against my Brewers. Many tears were shed. My heart was utterly broken. (I bleed navy and gold, man. I love my Crew and I do not apologize.)

I'm a Red Sox fan (so yes go ahead and mock me if you wish) but that said all of these series so far have been quite exciting.

The quadruple headers have been a genius idea by MLB (and it's worked out because all the games have been intense and the series have all been contested) and it's good baseball. Which means even someone like me with a disaster of a ballclub can enjoy watching.

@Silverwynde; Thanks for updating on the NL. Honestly, as a Tigers/O's fan I really don't care much about the NL and it's just a chore to look all the scores up to do updates here. If I had to pick one I guess I could say I'm rooting for the Nats because they've never been to the World Series.

Anyway, I've been a bit out of the baseball loop today because of the VP debate, but the Tigers scored in the 5th inning making it 2-0. Yay!
Yankees-O's are still tied 1-1 in the 10th inning. :( It just bums me out that the Yankees and the A's both have home-field advantage right now. Even the Os' usual extra-innings magic didn't seem to do much for them last night with that on the Yankees' side.

@Mako; As another Bostonian I'm not going to mock you for it. Hey, at least they'll probably do better next year, with Valentine gone!

Last edited:
I'm really hoping the O's and A's pull through here. Rooting exclusively for the underdogs this postseason, because the idea of a Yankees-Cardinals World Series bugs the hell out of me.

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO! MY TIGERS ARE ON TO THE ALCS! 6-0!!!! 6-0 SLAUGHTER!!!!

Thank you Verlander!!!!!!!!!!

And the Orioles return to fight another day against the Yankees! What a great night for baseball!

Last edited:
The A's lost... :bawl:

At least my Giants are still in this, still trying to make this 2010 again (because a 1989 attempt failed). Gotta love Buster Posey (2012 NL MVP!!!)...

Now I hope the Orioles beat the Yankees today and the Nats beating the Cardinals.

My predictions:

ALCS:
Orioles VS Tigers

NLCS:
Giants VS Nationals

World Series:
Orioles VS Giants

EDIT 5:39 PDT:
So the Yankees have beaten the Orioles to advance to the ALCS against the Detroit Tigers. How disappointing, lets see what the Nats can do...

Last edited:
The Orioles are out--which is upsetting

It is indeed upsetting, after such a beautiful season, the first in 15 years! Especially to lose to the Evil Empire, ugh! I barely have the heart to change the stats on the first post but I guess I'm going to have to...

But I am hopeful that my Tigers will avenge their loss and go on to the World Series! GOOOOOOOO TIGERS!

(seriously, having the Yankees win another pennant after the absolutely phenomenal year the Tigers have had, with Miggy's Triple Crown and everything - plus the awesomeness of how wide-open of a field this whole postseason has been - would be devastating)

Last edited:
As a Cardinals fan( and from Saint Louis) , I'm pretty happy and shocked that they won tonight's game. It was pretty nail-biting since we were down by 2 and yet managed to get ahead. Kozma and Descalso were basically our heroes here.
NLCS , here we come.

Tonight just makes me glad I don't live in the Baltimore area anymore. There are depressed baseball fans all OVER the Beltway, with the Nats' loss as well.

Anyway, here's what we have to look forward to in this coming week:

ALCS: Tigers vs. Yankees

NLCS: Giants vs. Cardinals

Hey, we could have a repeat of 2006 in the World Series! (Except, of course, with the Tigers winning! :ksmile:)

Last edited:
NLCS: Giants vs. Cardinals

Hey, we could have a repeat of 2006 in the World Series! (Except, of course, with the Tigers winning! :ksmile:)

I think there's a possibility it might, as long as my Birds beat up the Giants.

Though I personally would like an exact repeat of 2006 with Cards winning.

Everyone over here is pretty crazy about making it 12 in 12.

Edit: I hate that the Yankees had to win, I was really hoping the Orioles would go on to the ALCS.

...And now they take Game 2, with Jeter out for the rest of the postseason.

Tigers are winning the pennant. Calling it now.

Cardinals just beat the Giants in game 1 of NLCS!!
Impressive home runs from David Freese and Carlos Beltran and an amazing steel from Pete Kozma!

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom